Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Orioles great Mike Flanagan found dead

Stadium-Armory

Sad. He was one of my favorites:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2011/08/baltimore-orioles-mike-flanagan-found-dead/1

Orioles great Mike Flanagan found dead

Mike Flanagan, whose career with the Baltimore Orioles included a Cy Young Award and World Series championship as a pitcher, and stints as a coach, executive and broadcaster, was found dead at his Maryland home on Wednesday.

Flanagan's death was first reported by WBAL-TV in Baltimore and later confirmed by the Baltimore Sun, citing law enforcement or club sources.

Baltimore County police had said they were investigating a body found on Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. ET on the property owned by Flanagan, 59.

Orioles Managing Partner Peter Angelos issued the following statement regarding Flanagan's death: "It is with deep sadness that I learned of the death of my friend Mike Flanagan earlier this evening. In over a quarter century with the organization, Flanny became an integral part of the Orioles family, for his accomplishments both on and off the field. His loss will be felt deeply and profoundly by all of us with the ballclub and by Orioles fans everywhere who admired him. On behalf of the club, I extend my condolences to his wife, Alex; and daughters Kerry, Kathryn and Kendall."

"It's just shock right now," said former Orioles catcher Rick Dempsey. "I know everybody that played with him loved him to death. He was the backbone of that pitching staff. He never quit — this guy never quit. He was there for the duration. We had so many great games and so many great times. I just can't believe it."

Read More...

Listening to 105.9 this morning, they were saying it sounds like a suicide.

Police are investigating the cause of death, meanwhile, WBAL-TV’s sports director Gerry Sandusky is reporting, based on sources, that Flanagan took his own life “despondent over what he considered a false perception from a community he loved of his role in the team’s prolonged failure.”

http://www.baltimorebrew.com/2011/08/25/flanagans-pitching-brilliance-remembered-as-death-is-investigated/

Kurkjian has a great remembrance article out this morning that characterizes Flanny as recently despondent....so tragic and unnecessary.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6894031/mlb-cy-young-winner-mike-flanagan-1951-2011

You never see this coming. I was shocked. RIP Flanny.

---------- Post added August-25th-2011 at 09:09 AM ----------

That's extremely tragic. Is it true that many fans put some of the blame on him for the O's performance? What led them to that conclusion?

Most fans don't. Many of us blame Angelos. He was a great pitcher for the O's. Only Angelos is to blame for the way the team turned out.

I’m not an Orioles fan, or even a baseball fan, but Mike Flanagan seemed like a really good guy. It’s a shame that he was mixed up with such a crappy organization. Only 59, wow. Thoughts go out to his wife.

This so called "crappy organization" as you call it, was once one of the jewels of MLB going to 6 world series, winning 3, consistantly challenging for pennants and had one of the best farm systems from 1960 to about 1995. Angelos ruined the team after he bought them. Like the Redskins and Snyder, he's taken a once proud and successful team and run it in to the ground.

This so called "crappy organization" as you call it, was once one of the jewels of MLB going to 6 world series, winning 3, consistantly challenging for pennants and had one of the best farm systems from 1960 to about 1995. Angelos ruined the team after he bought them. Like the Redskins and Snyder, he's taken a once proud and successful team and run it in to the ground.

I'm not sure what the past has to do with anything. The time period when the Orioles were a jewel of MLB was not the source of his angst. It's that recent Orioles teams that provided him stress. The Orioles of late are a crappy team just like the Redskins.

I'm not sure what the past has to do with anything. The time period when the Orioles were a jewel of MLB was not the source of his angst. It's that recent Orioles teams that provided him stress. The Orioles of late are a crappy team just like the Redskins.

I'd say they're worst than the Skins have been. 15 or 16 straight losing seasons. Stuck in a division that seems impossible to win.

I always liked Flanagan. In every respect. As a player, coach, broadcaster, etc. Seemed like a great guy. At first, the idea that he would end his life over a game seems ridiculous. But when you consider that it has been his life and that he has given his heart and soul to the team, it makes a lot more sense. It's more than a game to him. It's everything. RIP.

How horrible...I can't believe that the state of the Orioles led to this. That makes this all the more tragic. I guess it's one thing if your family or other extremely important things are leading you to a dark place. But the state of the Orioles? Flanny might have contributed about 0.001% to the current state of the franchise. And even then...it's only a sport and, at most, work.

I'm shocked and saddened today.

very tragic and while i was thinking or joking to myself that he killed himself from the pain of having to sit through and watch that miserable team for the past 10 years...man i feel dumb..

Os fans deserve better then what they have no doubt about that but for anyone to blame Flanny is insane.

He had three daughters too...Awful news.

Baltimore officials are saying that he took his own life because he felt O's fans blamed him for the Orioles’ prolonged failure.

http://www.wbaltv.com/r/28967968/detail.html

From 2002-08 Flanagan shared or held the top baseball executive position in the organization. During that time Flanagan, according to those closest to him, struggled with not being able to do the job the way he wanted to do it, Sandusky said.

A relative confirmed that Flanagan has wrestled for some time now with the perception of fans and colleagues alike of his role in the team's failures.

Archived