Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Yahoo Sports: Renegade Miami football booster spells out illicit benefits to players(ST/McIntosh named)

TeddyKGB

Pick one  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• drastically reduce spending
    • raise taxes on the rich
    • NONE of the above - some combination of tax hikes and spending cuts is required

This thing is out of control and and I agree they need to make some money while in college but only the good players are getting these trinkets and benefits. Everyone is on here saying that the #4 QB on the depth chart is getting money, cars, girls, rides on yacths and vacations. Only the star athletes are getting them. So not everyone is benefitting. Boosters only target the ones that will provide a return to them. Most of them have some connection to sports agents or are sports agents. So these players know what is going on and choose to ignore the rules and it seems that no one is playing by the rules anymore. So lets trash the rule and then another and another until there is free reign to do whatever we want because that is happening. When you see pictures of former players like Clinton Portis and other athletes with this guy in front of his car or a place that appears to be a bar you see that there may be some truth to the claims. The pictures can be dismissed but look damaging. I say that if it is found out that rules were broken then there should be something done to those former players if the University and former coaches get hammered. But that won't happen.

That would be an idea. At 18, they can decide to go to school and play football while getting an education, or sign with a minor league team. But then the problem would just drop down to the high school level. If you decide to go to school, anyone caught doing anything against NCAA rules, would immediately be kick out of school and off the team.

I think you're killing college football if you basically dilute the talent base by having the choice between a minor league and staying in college.

P.S. I am shocked that this is being broken by yahoo sports. What a big win for them. You'd think this would of been broken by like ESPN or sportsillustrated.

I could be wrong here, but I do believe I saw somewhere that this is the same person who broke the USC news as well...it appears as if he's an investigative reporter, whereas ESPN and SI are mainly "reporters"...kind of like us here who "forward" something somebody else has already put out there, except for our few "insiders" who investigatively report for us;)

Just in thinking, how would a "payment" system work? Would the star QB be on the same pay scale as last man on the depth chart? Also, are the football players going to make the same amount as the girl on the equestrian team?

It wouldn't for the very reasons you're implying, especially the second one.

Just in thinking, how would a "payment" system work? Would the star QB be on the same pay scale as last man on the depth chart? Also, are the football players going to make the same amount as the girl on the equestrian team?

It wouldn't work at all. The list of reasons why it wouldn't work dwarf any reason why it would. When people advocate paying players, I don't think they really have thought it through. They think they should be played, but I've yet to hear a feasible reason HOW. And this whole conversation about paying players really is about the major programs that can afford it. All 100+ D1 programs aren't going to be able to pay players, so then what do you do? And where's the money coming from? There's far more questions than answers.

oh, and as for your 46 teams...

yeah, i know. thats why if they're going to pay people it'd have to be based on the money coming in. otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford to pay everyone. what is alabama suppose to give up money so bottom D1 schools can pay their players 500$ a game? that just wouldn't work...

which is why I don't think title 9 would be an issue. not even all football teams would be able to pay players.

To reply to your first post, I missed "profit" in the post, which led me to ask if it was gross or net. So, that's where I screwed the pooch on that one :ols:

Some schools being able to pay, and others not, creates such a crazy competitive advantage it's not remotely funny. No one would go to the schools who can't pay, and Title IX would still be a pain in the ass unless you're paying the girlies an equal amount (and the other sports as well).

Also, paying players will do nothing about the kind of money and benefits this Shapiro character was throwing around. You'll never pay people enough. You're not gonna pay Vince Wolfork enough such that he won't take somebody handing him $50K. Let's be real, all this wasn't going on so the kids could buy pizza or go to the movies.

This thing is out of control and and I agree they need to make some money while in college but only the good players are getting these trinkets and benefits. Everyone is on here saying that the #4 QB on the depth chart is getting money, cars, girls, rides on yacths and vacations. Only the star athletes are getting them. So not everyone is benefitting. Boosters only target the ones that will provide a return to them. Most of them have some connection to sports agents or are sports agents. So these players know what is going on and choose to ignore the rules and it seems that no one is playing by the rules anymore. So lets trash the rule and then another and another until there is free reign to do whatever we want because that is happening. When you see pictures of former players like Clinton Portis and other athletes with this guy in front of his car or a place that appears to be a bar you see that there may be some truth to the claims. The pictures can be dismissed but look damaging. I say that if it is found out that rules were broken then there should be something done to those former players if the University and former coaches get hammered. But that won't happen.

Absolutely not true....if the #4 QB is in VIP at whichever club (on the booster's dime) with his his teammates, he's benefiting. Maybe not to the extent of getting cash, jewelry, etc....but MANY of these guys reap the benefits of having boosters around with deep pockets. It's not just the star players.

I forgot who it was on the ESPN NCAA panel (maybe Jay Bilas) who brought up a GREAT point in regards to why athletes should be paid. What makes them any different from the piano student on a full music scholarship who can go out and get paid for gigs and cut a record deal WHILE still on the school's dime?

Playing a NCAA sport is a full-time job....with no pay. I've been there. It's hard.

*edit*

I'm pretty sure that they can play for money outside of school if there was something and if their coaches allowed it. They wouldn't be allowed to be affiliated with the NCAA or the university in anyway though. For instance, a track athlete can run whatever races they choose and still take the prize as long as they are not representing the school.

In short, I don't think the NCAA would have any problem with the athletes playing in a paid Flag Football league and getting a monetary prize with the rest of the team at the end (Should they win) as long as they didn't represent their school in anyway (Including wearing jersey's and what not).

As for the paying athletes part - it's ludicrous. They are paid A LOT of money to attend school there- which is their primary purpose at college - to get an education... whether they want to embrace that or not. They are just as capable of holding a part time job as any other student is (Though probably not during the season). I remember living at Virginia Tech and Tyrod Taylor worked for one of the apartment leasing companies. For that matter, VT gives RA's a stipend and free room and board - we have had NCAA athletes able to do that as well as school and their sport.

Furthermore, athletes already have a huge advantage in where they go to school to begin with. I had a 3.7+ GPA coming out of HS and I still felt that I was a fringe student in the Engineering program. Meanwhile there are college athletes with 2.5's getting full rides to schools I never would have had a shot at getting into.

Myself as well as any other non-Collegiate Athlete would have loved to come right from HS and earn money just as much as the collegiate athletes would have. To say that they get even more benefits is basically telling every non-collegiate athlete that they aren't as important but are expected to do everything just the same.

-SP

I'm pretty sure that they can play for money outside of school if there was something and if their coaches allowed it. They wouldn't be allowed to be affiliated with the NCAA or the university in anyway though. For instance, a track athlete can run whatever races they choose and still take the prize as long as they are not representing the school.

In short, I don't think the NCAA would have any problem with the athletes playing in a paid Flag Football league and getting a monetary prize with the rest of the team at the end (Should they win) as long as they didn't represent their school in anyway (Including wearing jersey's and what not).

As for the paying athletes part - it's ludicrous. They are paid A LOT of money to attend school there- which is their primary purpose at college - to get an education... whether they want to embrace that or not. They are just as capable of holding a part time job as any other student is (Though probably not during the season). I remember living at Virginia Tech and Tyrod Taylor worked for one of the apartment leasing companies. For that matter, VT gives RA's a stipend and free room and board - we have had NCAA athletes able to do that as well as school and their sport.

Furthermore, athletes already have a huge advantage in where they go to school to begin with. I had a 3.7+ GPA coming out of HS and I still felt that I was a fringe student in the Engineering program. Meanwhile there are college athletes with 2.5's getting full rides to schools I never would have had a shot at getting into.

Myself as well as any other non-Collegiate Athlete would have loved to come right from HS and earn money just as much as the collegiate athletes would have. To say that they get even more benefits is basically telling every non-collegiate athlete that they aren't as important but are expected to do everything just the same.

-SP

Good material, me likes! I went to high school with a bunch of top-notch (steroid freak) athletes and know for a fact that they did not attend class or do any HW... not to mention they were about as smart as a box of rocks (advantage, rocks). The two in particular got full rides to Virginia Tech to play football. I would have never got in with my 3.2 out of HS. Needless to say, these same jackasses were part of the underage girls/marijuana scheme with Marcus Vick. It all starts at the junior levels of sports. These dudes are babied because all they really have is athleticism. It just shows how society and money overshadows doing it the right way because of money and potential ability

Have NCAA violations effect NFL PT/salary.

You get caught taking money? Auto 2 game suspension upon entering the league or if it is discovered later, as soon as it is proven.

Of course, I support athlete stipends as well.

@dennisdoddcbs: Our Mike Freeman says NFL/NCAA talking real penalties that follow players to the pros. Wow http://t.co/W7S2ZRM

I think this is a great idea and don't care if people think its collusion.

Aside from being illegal' date=' it's a brilliant idea.[/quote']

Whats your suggestion then? How are you going to fix US amatuer athletics?

Let's quit with the willing suspension that college football and basketball is anything other than a poorly run minor league system.

-SP

You give up your amateur status as soon as you get paid in that respective sport. Now, there are instances when guys like Tim Dwight (who was playing for the Falcons at the time) went back to Iowa after his rookie year and ran track. He still had a year of eligibility left in T&F, so it was OK...remember, he wasn't making ANY $ off of track, but as a pro in football. That scenario is OK.

Now, as far as part-time jobs? You are making it seem easier than the actuality of the situation. I'm telling you....in LIVING this first hand, you're living/breathing your sport close to 24/7. This IS your job. If you have time, read what Kirk Cousins had to say on the whole "pay-for-play" debate. He's the starting QB at MSU.

A full ride, he explains, is a misnomer. Every year, he pays $100 per year to register his car on campus so the athletic department can get him a parking pass near the football field. That's $400 over the course of a college career.

Yes, he can eat at the training table for most meals, but he also has to buy some food for his apartment.

If he needs gas, he pays for it. If his tire blows out, he pays for it. When the cellphone bill comes due, he sends out the check.

It's not a lot, but it adds up, especially for a person who quite literally doesn't have the time to get a job.

And then there are the even bigger costs no one talks about.

For example, football practice starts in earnest in late July/early August, with two-a-days crammed in the first two weeks. The schedule makes it impossible for Cousins and his teammates to take courses during Michigan State's second summer session. And because he's not taking classes, his scholarship money doesn't kick in.

Consequently, for the months of July and August, Cousins has to come up with his rent and food money. Worse, in August, he has to pay for an apartment he doesn't live in. During two-a-days, the Spartans must stay in the dorms.

"This is where everyone says, 'OK, go get a job,''' Cousins said. "Well, I can only really work for the month of July, so that's difficult. What can I do for one month? Plus, I'm quite busy for 11 months and July is the one month where you catch your breath.''

The irony is that there are plenty of ways Cousins could make additional spending money without the university having to open its wallet. If only the NCAA would allow it.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6762550/inside-look-full-scholarship-athlete-versus-typical-student

I know you may look at him as being an "entitled" athlete, but the situation sucks. The NCAA has a strangle-hold on their student-athletes lives....it's really hard.

I think you're killing college football if you basically dilute the talent base by having the choice between a minor league and staying in college.

College football in its current form needs to die.

The NFL is not going to build minor league football from scratch. The best place to build it is - in college football.

I still don't understand why LSU and Alabama can't be semi-pro teams?

I know you may look at him as being an "entitled" athlete, but the situation sucks. The NCAA has a strangle-hold on their student-athletes lives....it's really hard.

He can take out a living expense loan just like everyone else whose parents might not be subsidizing discretionary expenses (for all we know his anecdote is BS and his parents were). I don't see the problem. Also, lots of students can only work summers and make it work. On top of that, I'm skeptical about his claim that he can only work for one month. Spring games are in April and camp starts up again in August. I hear a lot of excuses and not a lot of substance.

---------- Post added August-19th-2011 at 10:09 AM ----------

For financial, legal, and tax reasons.

That can be easily fixed.

True, but there isn't any real incentive to do so. Remember that many of these issues aren't about sports alone, and the people who ultimately pull the strings certainly don't care about the state of sports in the United States.

College football in its current form needs to die.

The NFL is not going to build minor league football from scratch. The best place to build it is - in college football.

But there's 100+ D-1 college football teams, which ones are you going to make the minor league out of? And what happens to the rest of them? And how are those teams getting players, because you'd have to have some kind of equitable player distribution system that every other minor league has. The recruitment method that goes on in college football currently couldn't continue.

Fine. As a university, I'll pay you, but you now owe me for tuition, room, board, books, transportaion and all the free athletic clothing I've been giving you on your free scholarship.

The last thing most big time football players in college want or need are tuition and books. Seriously - end the farce. These guys shouldn't even be enrolled.

Archived