Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Yahoo Sports: Renegade Miami football booster spells out illicit benefits to players(ST/McIntosh named)

TeddyKGB

Pick one  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• drastically reduce spending
    • raise taxes on the rich
    • NONE of the above - some combination of tax hikes and spending cuts is required

Holy cow! Mentions Sean Taylor and some other NFL players. I wonder if any other of our boys were involved.

Link : here

KEARNEY, N.J. – A University of Miami booster, incarcerated for his role in a $930 million Ponzi scheme, has told Yahoo! Sports he provided thousands of impermissible benefits to at least 72 athletes from 2002 through 2010.

In 100 hours of jailhouse interviews during Yahoo! Sports’ 11-month investigation, Hurricanes booster Nevin Shapiro described a sustained, eight-year run of rampant NCAA rule-breaking, some of it with the knowledge or direct participation of at least seven coaches from the Miami football and basketball programs. At a cost that Shapiro estimates in the millions of dollars, he said his benefits to athletes included but were not limited to cash, prostitutes, entertainment in his multimillion-dollar homes and yacht, paid trips to high-end restaurants and nightclubs, jewelry, bounties for on-field play (including bounties for injuring opposing players), travel and, on one occasion, an abortion.

Nevin Shapiro said this photo was taken during a basketball fundraiser in 2008, in which the booster donated $50,000 to the program. From left to right are men’s basketball coach Frank Haith, Shapiro and University of Miami president Donna Shalala. Shalala is holding Shapiro’s donation check, which the booster has said was entirely comprised of Ponzi funds.

(Special to Yahoo! Sports)

Also among the revelations were damning details of Shapiro’s co-ownership of a sports agency – Axcess Sports & Entertainment – for nearly his entire tenure as a Hurricanes booster. The same agency that signed two first-round picks from Miami, Vince Wilfork and Jon Beason, and recruited dozens of others....

Read more at the link.

All I know is if Reggie Bush can come out unscathed with his deal...no one talks about it, I can absolve ST, Tana, CP or anyone else. The U got what they wanted out of those players. Wins and millions of dollars. The players should be paid IMO. They sold....for instance in my case....#17 NC State jerseys without the nameplate back when I was there. Really?

“We pounded the (expletive) out of that kid,” Shapiro said of Rix. “Watch the tape of those games. You’ll see so many big hits on him. Guys were all going after that $5,000 in cash. [Jon] Vilma tried to kill him – just crushed him – a couple of times trying to get that $5,000. And he almost got it, too.”

Vilma didn’t return a call seeking comment.

EPIC. Dude Shapiro was a ****ing BOSS.

And whats wrong with players getting their side cut of a billion dollar business. NCAA needs to pay them so when players take money I see nothing wrong

Obviously I agree, the prostitutes are a little over the top but I think at 18 years old you just aren't mature enough to say no. It's not fair to them. Get the shady element like this guy out of the picture and pay them something modest, with transparency. I don't even think they can have jobs as student athletes. Does anyone know if that's true?

Of course how are you going to pay Women's Swimming is something I'm not capable of sorting out.

I agree, it just goes to show how broken the system is anyways. Miami's AD is calling out USC for their dirty laundry - all the while he's got all this mess all in his backyard.

I wonder who some of the un-named players are that yahoo sports is protecting.

P.S. I am shocked that this is being broken by yahoo sports. What a big win for them. You'd think this would of been broken by like ESPN or sportsillustrated.

And whats wrong with players getting their side cut of a billion dollar business.

Nothing, if the rules read that way.

...but they don't.

---------- Post added August-16th-2011 at 08:19 PM ----------

NCAA is saying they've never seen anything like it. Largest in history, by far.

And, if this is true, the death penalty is deserved.

not to say he is a piece of ****..but he is a piece of **** and just trying to save his own ass. He could be telling the truth but trusting him by his word is like trusting a rattlesnake not to bite you.

Well, there are 1000s of pages of audited financials backing all his claims...

---------- Post added August-16th-2011 at 08:22 PM ----------

NCAA is saying they've never seen anything like it. Largest in history, by far.

3rd worst scandal in NCAA history.

1) Baylor Basketball

2) SMU Football

Well, there are 1000s of pages of audited financials backing all his claims...

---------- Post added August-16th-2011 at 08:22 PM ----------

3rd worst scandal in NCAA history.

1) Baylor Basketball

2) SMU Football

Son of a *****.

This happens at all colleges, why just pick Miami? Or better yet, why didn't every superstar pick Miami over other colleges? I'm willing to bet it's because other colleges offered more.........

I actually agree. I think if this happens, it's going to be a domino effect, especially with the latest crack down on this type of thing.

And whats wrong with players getting their side cut of a billion dollar business. NCAA needs to pay them so when players take money I see nothing wrong

Yeah, go ahead and pay them so they can foot the bill for their own college education, room and board, uniforms, and every other expense that the schools provide.

At least they'll learn a little something about economics.

Archived