Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Yahoo Sports: Renegade Miami football booster spells out illicit benefits to players(ST/McIntosh named)

TeddyKGB

Pick one  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• drastically reduce spending
    • raise taxes on the rich
    • NONE of the above - some combination of tax hikes and spending cuts is required

He did not commit a crime while at the U and you should feel like an %^&*( saying that. What if his child were to read that? Making comments like that is unnecessary.

I agree that what ST might have done doesn't make him a criminal, but aren't you overreacting a little bit?

I don't know if it means anything, but they just showed a pic of Shapiro with Portis. Does these guys being involved with this Shapiro change anyones opinion of them?

Absolutely not....this probably goes on at most major colleges/universities around the country. Does it make it right? No. I choose to remember these guys at Miami by what they did ON the field. Both sides (Shapiro & Players) were using each other. Shapiro, because he wanted "in" with the U...the players, because he provided everything they needed. I guess the only sliver lining is the possibility of Jacory Harris not taking any snaps this year. LOL.

But it's a joke. Virtually NO college football players of any real merit actually attend class on a regular basis, much less graduate. Anybody who is any good ends up in the NFL draft way before then anyway. So what exactly is the point?

If it's a farce, it's a farce. Time to stop pretending.

So, what? Should the NFL just develop some kind of farm system like Major League Baseball? Should every team create minor league teams or something?

Absolutely not....this probably goes on at most major colleges/universities around the country. Does it make it right? No. I choose to remember these guys at Miami by what they did ON the field. Both sides (Shapiro & Players) were using each other. Shapiro, because he wanted "in" with the U...the players, because he provided everything they needed. I guess the only sliver lining is the possibility of Jacory Harris not taking any snaps this year. LOL.

I agree. It doesn't change my opinion at all. And I agree about Harris not taking any snaps is a good thing.

But it's a joke. Virtually NO college football players of any real merit actually attend class on a regular basis, much less graduate. Anybody who is any good ends up in the NFL draft way before then anyway. So what exactly is the point?

If it's a farce, it's a farce. Time to stop pretending.

Then you're basically advocating some transitional league between high school and pro football, not college football. You'd almost have to take the best of the best and stick them in one league while you let true student athletes play at a lower level and represent their universities.

And whats wrong with players getting their side cut of a billion dollar business. NCAA needs to pay them so when players take money I see nothing wrong

Fine. As a university, I'll pay you, but you now owe me for tuition, room, board, books, transportaion and all the free athletic clothing I've been giving you on your free scholarship.

I don't know if it means anything, but they just showed a pic of Shapiro with Portis. Does these guys being involved with this Shapiro change anyones opinion of them?

I don't care what the players did in college as long as it wasn't anything illegal. Besides the prostitutes, it doesn't look like they did anything illegal. I mean put yourself in these players' shoes. You come from a poor background and all of a sudden this guy is offering you trips, money, girls, partying, etc. Would you turn it down? What's the worst that could happen? You get suspended for a few games in college? Its not like it stops NFL teams from drafting them if they break NCAA rules. (See: Bryant, Dez and Green, AJ)

---------- Post added August-17th-2011 at 04:31 PM ----------

Fine. As a university, I'll pay you, but you now owe me for tuition, room, board, books, transportaion and all the free athletic clothing I've been giving you on your free scholarship.

No. Straight A students in HS can get full-rides to colleges. They can also have a job and get paid.

Athletes get a full ride, but they don't have a chance to work in the offseason and make money like other college students do.

Plus, do you go to Miami to see the Math competition or do you go for the football games?

To be perfectly honest, ST was arrested while playing for the Skins for firing a gun when someone stole his 3 wheelers or 4 wheelers. He almost went to jail for that one. Soon after that is when he had his daughter and turned his life around. He grew up.

That being said, the God's saftey criminal comment, was a cheap shot.

ST was always a good football player, it was after he had his daughter that he became a good person. (Based on what I read) I know I didn't like him as a person until I started reading about him talking about his daughter.

This news article isn't about that though. It's about a college football program that got busted for not preventing a booster from tainting the program.

So, what? Should the NFL just develop some kind of farm system like Major League Baseball? Should every team create minor league teams or something?

That would be an idea. At 18, they can decide to go to school and play football while getting an education, or sign with a minor league team. But then the problem would just drop down to the high school level. If you decide to go to school, anyone caught doing anything against NCAA rules, would immediately be kick out of school and off the team.

---------- Post added August-17th-2011 at 04:47 PM ----------

No. Straight A students in HS can get full-rides to colleges. They can also have a job and get paid.

Athletes get a full ride, but they don't have a chance to work in the offseason and make money like other college students do.

Plus, do you go to Miami to see the Math competition or do you go for the football games?

But technically you are going there to get an education. I know most athletes go there to prepare themselves for pro ball. The educational scholarship isn't generating revenue nor is it considered and extra curricular activity. They can work other jobs without having that company use their name like they could with athletes.

But technically you are going there to get an education. I know most athletes go there to prepare themselves for pro ball. The educational scholarship isn't generating revenue nor is it considered and extra curricular activity. They can work other jobs without having that company use their name like they could with athletes.

But my point is that other students get full rides to colleges besides athletes. And those other students can work while they are in school and make money. The athletes do not have time to have a part-time job over the summer or work during the school year.

I think that college athletes should be able to do endorsement deals. That way the university doesn't have to pay them and they can still make money.

But my point is that other students get full rides to colleges besides athletes. And those other students can work while they are in school and make money. The athletes do not have time to have a part-time job over the summer or work during the school year.

I think that college athletes should be able to do endorsement deals. That way the university doesn't have to pay them and they can still make money.

That actually sounds like a decent idea.

That actually sounds like a decent idea.

It makes alot of sense. Then the schools don't have to worry about what sports to pay, how much to pay each player, etc. If Andrew Luck wants to sign a deal with Nike, let him do it. I don't think it will do anything to effect competitive balance because athletes could even do local endorsements or something. So Kellen Clemens could do local commercials in Boise or something to get some extra cash.

Then you're basically advocating some transitional league between high school and pro football, not college football. You'd almost have to take the best of the best and stick them in one league while you let true student athletes play at a lower level and represent their universities.

That's what I'm advocating, yes, except I don't see why the "minor league football" teams as you call them couldn't be affiliated with a college. And students could feel free to walk on if they'd like.

It would be exactly the same as now, except without the farcial aspect of actually pretending that it's about education and student athletes.

This reminds me of the steroid scandal in baseball everyone is focused on the latest one to get caught and the 800 pound gorilla shouting "this is an institutional problem!" is ignored. Miami got caught. So did USC and Ohio St. We've heard all about Cam Newton too. It's time for the NCAA to admit what they have is a system failure and focus on that. This crap has been going on for More than 50 years and it's getting worse not better.

Not if your an International student. 16 hours paid work per week on the University campus is all the visa officially allows.

Hail.

I don't care what the players did in college as long as it wasn't anything illegal. Besides the prostitutes, it doesn't look like they did anything illegal. I mean put yourself in these players' shoes. You come from a poor background and all of a sudden this guy is offering you trips, money, girls, partying, etc. Would you turn it down? What's the worst that could happen? You get suspended for a few games in college? Its not like it stops NFL teams from drafting them if they break NCAA rules. (See: Bryant, Dez and Green, AJ)

---------- Post added August-17th-2011 at 04:31 PM ----------

I forgot who it was on the ESPN NCAA panel (maybe Jay Bilas) who brought up a GREAT point in regards to why athletes should be paid. What makes them any different from the piano student on a full music scholarship who can go out and get paid for gigs and cut a record deal WHILE still on the school's dime?

Playing a NCAA sport is a full-time job....with no pay. I've been there. It's hard.

*edit*

Just in thinking, how would a "payment" system work? Would the star QB be on the same pay scale as last man on the depth chart? Also, are the football players going to make the same amount as the girl on the equestrian team?

Archived