Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Yahoo Sports: Renegade Miami football booster spells out illicit benefits to players(ST/McIntosh named)

TeddyKGB

Pick one  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• drastically reduce spending
    • raise taxes on the rich
    • NONE of the above - some combination of tax hikes and spending cuts is required

Pretty ugly on Sean Taylor, as more details are coming out: http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=ys-sean_taylor_allegations

• A pair of diamond-studded dog tags from Buchwald Jewelers for approximately $15,000. According to a summary document acquired by Yahoo! Sports, Shapiro informed federal agents of the purchase of the dog tags during taped interview sessions. However, government documents recounted the value of the dog tags at $26,000.

• Shapiro also informed federal agents in recorded interviews that both he and current Miami football staffer Sean Allen had knowledge of his partner in Axcess Sports – then-NFL agent and current UFL commissioner Michael Huyghue – paying Taylor while he was playing for the Hurricanes. According to summary documents acquired by Yahoo! Sports, Shapiro informed agents that Huyghue stated to him directly that he had paid Taylor while he was with the Hurricanes.

• $3,000 in bounties. The bounties were for a 22-14 win over Florida State on Oct. 11, 2003, in which Taylor had a pair of interceptions ($500 each), a defensive touchdown ($1,000) and Shapiro’s “hit of the game” ($1,000) when Taylor floored Seminoles quarterback Chris Rix at the Florida State 1-yard line.

• Drinks and VIP access in nightclubs on multiple occasions.

• Cash gifts.

• Food, drinks and entertainment at Shapiro’s $2.7 million Miami Beach home.

• Attendance at private bachelor parties at a penthouse suite at the Sagamore Hotel and a mansion on North Bay road.

• Entertainment on Shapiro’s $1.6 million yacht.

Corroborating accounts

• One source corroborated Shapiro’s account of purchasing Taylor diamond-studded dog tags at Buchwald Jewelers.

• One source corroborated Shapiro entertaining Taylor on his yacht on multiple occasions.

• Two sources corroborated Shapiro providing Taylor with drinks and VIP access in nightclubs on multiple occasions.

In Shapiro’s words

• “I bought [sean Taylor] a pair of diamond dog tags which cost me somewhere around 15 grand at Buchwald Jewelers. … Sean waited outside the building [at Buchwald]. I met him and we left. We didn’t come together.”

• “He was at my house often. He was always in the clubs with us. And he was at all the private parties – a majority of them. [He was at] bachelor parties for two of my best friends at the time – Mark Levinson and Richard Grillasca. I rented the Sagamore [Hotel] penthouse suite for Mark Levinson and the whole team was there. A lot of guys were there. And then I rented a mansion on North Bay Road. … He was on my boat fishing any number of times. We would always start out around 4:30, 5 a.m. And I gave him cash so many times I can’t even remember.”

This is a novel idea.....and a good one. Although 2 games sounds light. Maybe 16 games, without pay would do it.

Of course w/o pay.

The median NFL salary is $800K, meaning the average game check is about $50K.

If a college kid knows that each time he takes a couple bills, or a TV, or a car, he could be costing himself $100K down the line, that would cause them to think twice.

(I'm assuming not too many players would be thinking about the TVM...)

Miami U football is a funny thing. It's like going down to your local ghetto/projects and gathering up all of the biggest, baddest, thugs in the hood and giving them nice houses, fast cars, and lots of money.

Schnellenberger's legacy lives on. Little wonder they thought they were above not only the NCAA but their own administration.

Hail.

GHH, with all due respect, you don't believe there are a few UT or OU recruits or players getting free large screen tvs from some booster? Or free rental cars? Or do you believe 19 year old football players at OU don't like strip clubs?

That's difficult to pin on the coach, and to sanction the team for years to come. In this case, it appears that the coaches were in on it, however. That makes this especially bad.

The real problem, is that there is no solution.

I disagree. These athetes (any sport) are basically unpaid employees. They generate huge money for their school and don't get paid for it. Sure, a scholarship pays tuition and housing, but these are kids. They see their efforts making money that they aren't "entitled to". Pay them.

This would accomplish two things:

1) It's the right thing to do.

2) It would lessen the likelyhood that a given player would accept "illegal benefits" from boosters or elsewhere.

Sure, it wouldn't completely eliminate the problem, but it would help.

I disagree. These athetes (any sport) are basically unpaid employees. They generate huge money for their school and don't get paid for it. Sure, a scholarship pays tuition and housing, but these are kids. They see their efforts making money that they aren't "entitled to". Pay them.

This would accomplish two things:

1) It's the right thing to do.

2) It would lessen the likelyhood that a given player would accept "illegal benefits" from boosters or elsewhere.

Sure, it wouldn't completely eliminate the problem, but it would help.

Thus making the NCAA a professional football league. Professionals get paid, amateurs don't. It would no longer be collegiate. They'd be pros.

Imagine being 18 and growing up with little to nothing. Who wouldn't take all that free stuff?

I don't blame the kids as much as I blame all the shady people around them.

That I can't argue against. It's easy to castigate the players involved and question their ethics; but human nature being what it is I doubt there'd be many that wouldn't take some form of kick-back if it was offered. Particularly at that age.

Hail.

Thus making the NCAA a professional football league. Professionals get paid, amateurs don't. It would no longer be collegiate. They'd be pros.

And?

If they generate money like pros, pay them as such. Who cares about the "amateur" label anymore? If it doesn't matter in the Olympics, why should it matter the other 3 out of 4 years?

Fans could care less if college players are paid it's the NCAA that doesn't want to dip in their cash cow and "waste" money on players. Imagine how many jerseys Reggie Bush, Sean Taylor, Bo Jackson, and so fort sold all for a scholarship which is nice I may add. But they are not allowed to accept gifts, money or get a job and are given 400-600 a month in cash allowance.

As HardcoreZornography said, all D1 schools cheat. I don't even see what the big deal is. Honestly, I think it is to the NCAA's benefit that the cheating goes on, because by these guys getting a little on the side it probably prevents the NCAA from really having to sit down and figure out how they're going to give these guys a fair shake. Isn't it always news sources or others that break these announcements, not the NCAA itself?

If the NCAA really locked down on the cheating, all these guys would really start complaining that they aren't being fairly compensated. By passively allowing the cheating, it keeps the player's mouths shut & the lionshare of profit with the schools and NCAA. It's my own little personal conspiracy theory.

"bounties for on-field play (including bounties for injuring opposing players)"

That's just bull****. Not buying it. Shapiro made his fortune bull****ting people so there's no reason to think he's not bull****ting now. He's a famous bull**** artist.

"Miami president Donna Shalala"

Hell, 'Shalala' doesn't even sound like a real name!:ols: The whole thing's bogus! :ols:

"bounties for on-field play (including bounties for injuring opposing players)"

That's just bull****. Not buying it. Shapiro made his fortune bull****ting people so there's no reason to think he's not bull****ting now. He's a famous bull**** artist.

"Miami president Donna Shalala"

Hell, 'Shalala' doesn't even sound like a real name!:ols: The whole thing's bogus! :ols:

Look her up... and there's documentation and other people to varify at least some of the story.

how would you pay the college players -- base it on conference, schools size, revenue, something else? wouldnt that create an imbalnce just as bad as what exists now in at least college football/mens backetball?

possibly could put into an account a portion of the revenue a school earns from a sports team (which mostly means football, mens basketball), and pay this out upon the student graduating. this still lacks any balance as larger school/larger conference will have more revenue over say army or schools that dont offer athletic scholarships yet compete in d1 sports.

And whats wrong with players getting their side cut of a billion dollar business. NCAA needs to pay them so when players take money I see nothing wrong

They're "paid" the equivalent of over $50k a year, which isn't bad for someone their age. There are too many practical issues with actually cutting paychecks to the players, aside from the fact that they don't deserve it.

---------- Post added August-17th-2011 at 09:12 AM ----------

I don't care anymore. ALL D-1 schools cheat. Every. Single. One.

That's a bit of a hasty generalization, isn't it?

Archived