Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Yahoo Sports: Renegade Miami football booster spells out illicit benefits to players(ST/McIntosh named)

TeddyKGB

Pick one  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• drastically reduce spending
    • raise taxes on the rich
    • NONE of the above - some combination of tax hikes and spending cuts is required

I know it's biggest in D-1, but don't assume it stops there or it is just limited to football. I was promised money for school if I went to a D-3 school and played soccer. I ultimately didn't go there, but I still remember asking the scout (assistant coach) how they could give scholarships for a sport at a D-3 school. His answer was having access to other scholarships and alumnae funds. I was surprised.

This guy is a 5'5" criminal with an obvious Napolean complex. He basically paid college kids to be his friends then got mad when they didn't return the favors. Douche.

Spot on. Nothing more than a rich loser paying to hang with 19 year olds. And a convicted felon. I'm sure that some of this will stick, but right now we are experiencing the initial public over-reaction. There will be some suspensions and scholarship reductions eventually, and maybe a year or 2 postseason ban at worst, but the program will come out of this fine.

I disagree. These athetes (any sport) are basically unpaid employees. They generate huge money for their school and don't get paid for it. Sure, a scholarship pays tuition and housing, but these are kids. They see their efforts making money that they aren't "entitled to". Pay them.

This would accomplish two things:

1) It's the right thing to do.

2) It would lessen the likelyhood that a given player would accept "illegal benefits" from boosters or elsewhere.

Sure, it wouldn't completely eliminate the problem, but it would help.

look... i agree that the NCAA makes a lot of money off these kids, and it's unfortunate that the money has made the NCAA (in general) shady.

but i get sick and tired of watching people cast aside a free education at a top university as 'nothing'.

these kids don't get paid nothing - they get a free, 4 year education and a degree (if they do what they're suppose to) at a top university. that is not 'nothing', in fact that's quite 'something'. it's something a ton of people would do almost anything to get.

stop acting like it's nothing. that's a slap in the face to anyone who's actually had to pay for an education.

if you want to pay them, then take away their scholoarships and give those to other people who actually appreciate the education. lets see how awesome it is to make 40-50k a year, and have to spend majority of it just to be at the school to begin with.

For those advocating paying players, how (much) would you suggest paying them?

Note: I support some form of stipends for players, I'm just curious if anyone has any real suggestions.

This is incredibly tough.

Perhaps a percentage of the total athletic revenue pot should go to players in the revenue sports. This money though would need to be somewhat equal across teams or else nobody will go to any school unless its a big money maker

who cares if ST or Macintosh took gifts and such, it doesn't effect the Skins in any way, shape, or form. I could care less what happens to "the U' they are a shell of their former selves and they are in the worst conference in NCAA football.

Paying players is a touchy issue. One thing is for sure, the schools can't afford it, even with all the big money they allegedly make. And another thing, if football and basketball players were paid, other sports would want in on that pie too. Are you just going to pay the football and basketball players too? What about the tennis players?

On one hand, players get free room and board due to scholarship. On the other hand, some of these guys are dirt poor, and bring in millions to the university without seeing a piece of that pie.

who cares if ST or Macintosh took gifts and such, it doesn't effect the Skins in any way, shape, or form. I could care less what happens to "the U' they are a shell of their former selves and they are in the worst conference in NCAA football.

The ACC is worse than the sun belt conference in football?

---------- Post added August-17th-2011 at 10:24 AM ----------

Lol Miami fan "spin" it

Your program is going to be hit and hit hard

In fact I would say your program would be..."rocked like a hurricane"

(not my joke, took it from someone else)

LOL

No spin. It looks bad right now given that the report is less than 24 hours old. There will be suspensions, scholarship reductions, and possibly a short postseason ban, but a lot of the overreaction is overblown.

The one that I really have a problem with are the bounties. Especially the bounties to hurt other players. That is a disgrace and any player who took that money is scum.

Are you calling Sean Taylor scum? because arguably one of his best games as a college player was against FL State and he had some major hits that game.

And another thing, if football and basketball players were paid, other sports would want in on that pie too. Are you just going to pay the football and basketball players too? What about the tennis players?

i hear this argument a lot, and i think its nonsense.

no offense to players of those sports - but you don't bring the money in... the only reason your schools' athletic department has any money is because of football (basketball also loses money, there are a handful of exceptions and that's it). your equipment, scholarships, facilities, uniforms, travel expenses, etc are paid for by football money.

you don't get extra money for costing the school money. i understand it's not the athletes' fault, it's just the way the general population sways when it comes to sports. if you want to join the getting paid bandwagon, then you need to play a sport that brings in money; not one that just spends it.

Are you calling Sean Taylor scum? because arguably one of his best games as a college player was against FL State and he had some major hits that game.

i consider myself the biggest ST fan there is. the day he died is a day i'll unfortunately remember for the rest of my life. it was an awful day.

but lets not pretend that he wasn't a person involved in some incredibly shady things during college and his first years a pro. just a redskin he was in out of the legal system for ridiculous things; once of which was shooting up another person's house over an ATV.

the thing that makes ST's story so sad is that (by the accounts of everyone close to him) he just starting to turn his life around when it was snatched from him. don't be afraid to admit that he did shady things, and that taking bounties to injure players is a very scummy thing to do. him changing his life around is really the heart of the tragedy.

I dont blame the players taking money. Its a very dangerous sport, and which college kid doesnt want money. Lets be real.

Bounties > Stickers on the helmut.

I still predict the crippling of MD athletics in the wide of the Bias death will be worse than the handslap Miami gets. College football needs Miami, will be the thinking. The NCAA came down so hard on Maryland, there have been countless violations by schools over the years that were lightly penalized in comparison, and I think the same will hold true here.

i hear this argument a lot, and i think its nonsense.

no offense to players of those sports - but you don't bring the money in... the only reason your schools' athletic department has any money is because of football (basketball also loses money, there are a handful of exceptions and that's it). your equipment, scholarships, facilities, uniforms, travel expenses, etc are paid for by football money.

you don't get extra money for costing the school money. i understand it's not the athletes' fault, it's just the way the general population sways when it comes to sports. if you want to join the getting paid bandwagon, then you need to play a sport that brings in money; not one that just spends it.

Logical argument, would never work with Title IX

Logical argument, would never work with Title IX

why exactly?

title 9 says:

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance..."

it wouldn't be on the basis of sex. there would be plenty of male sports that wouldn't be payed either. to name a few:

- basketball

- baseball

- lacrosse

- soccer

I'm sure there's more... it's a specific sport and revenue generated (or the lack there of) issue. not a sex issue.

Oh that Butch Davis.... it's sad, no one is going to want to coach college football anymore. If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying, but if you run a clean program, you get fired in 3 years or less because you suck. The NCAA is sickening and I actually prefer the pro game now after years of watching more college. Another notch in the belt in my opinion.

why exactly?

title 9 says:

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance..."

it wouldn't be on the basis of sex. there would be plenty of male sports that wouldn't be payed either. to name a few:

- basketball

- baseball

- lacrosse

- soccer

I'm sure there's more... it's a specific sport and revenue generated (or the lack there of) issue. not a sex issue.

Judicial precedent and the resultant common law expands greatly on the explicit elements of Title IX. For every dollar that you pay male football athletes, you will have to match that for female athletics. Paying the players is not possible, nor is it prudent.

what a joke.

not that i think they should be paid to begin with. i can't stand some of the laws of this country. female sports (and almost every male sport. football is really the only money maker) cost money, they don't bring in money. people who don't understand that are dumb/sexist.

edit: since football isn't a 'male only sport', i'd be curious to see if lawyers could get away with it.

what a joke.

not that i think they should be paid to begin with. i can't stand some of the laws of this country. female sports (and almost every male sport. football is really the only money maker) cost money, they don't bring in money. people who don't understand that are dumb/sexist.

I'm right there with you. Many profitable football teams were liquidated because of Title IX.

Archived