Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Steelers 13-4 under Tomlin in 2007-2010 preseason games. Game 1: 4-0 record, 20-9 avg score, 32:05 TOP

Atlanta Skins Fan

I will keep my previous prediction that the Skins are going 7-9 - 9-7. I think we improve, but I don't think we're a playoff team just yet.

I will say that last night's game was good in almost every way you could want. The only thing I really think we' can't say is what the pass defense will look like, since Atogwe and Landry were both out. Hopefully one or both of them get well and we'll get a good look at them before the season begins.

But, it was definitely an improvement, and encouraging.

I like your optimism, but saying we're going to finish 11-5 because of a mostly meaningless preseason game result? Can't take the leap.

ASF didn't say we were going to finish 11-5, he said if we perform like that in every game we look like an 11-5 team.

And I think these preseason games tell alot more than they did in the past. The team has only been together for hardly 2 weeks, that says alot about the culture change and the mentality Shanhan has been driving.

I quoted myself from another thread prior to the game and by golly, I saw all of the above.

It was so much fun watching the game and the intensity level was higher than I've seen it in some time.

That being said? I'm not going to contradict myself and I'm going to keep my expectations tempered. Been burned way too many times.

Totally agree KG, probably the most encouraging thing I recognized was that our OL played as one solid unit, unlike seasons past where you could tell we had a really good LT, but a bad C, or a very good right side, but a weak left side. Their blocking looked like they were completely in sync. I haven't seen that since Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen were young.

The other thing I really loved was watching LBers have holes to work in, the Steeler's OL didn't get to that second level like we're used to seeing.

Just remember one word - OSAKA

I agree that people should be tempered in their reactions. I think to expect more than a one or two game improvement is setting yourself up for frustration, BUT the difference between Osaka and this game was that Shanahan doesn't game plan for his preseason games, Spurrier ran it like it was the SB.

So, can we find another way to say it than "Remember Osaka" because, though a handful of you think it's delightfully cute and charming, the rest of us find it completely annoying, overused, and asinine.

the performance of our first team offense ... NOT THE GAME OR THE RESULTS

I think this is what has me so encouraged. It started with game 14 last year when Rex took over. It wasn't so much that Grossman looked great, although I thought he looked better than McNabb. But all of a sudden it looked like we had an offense that could move the ball. Receivers were running open (they were before as well but McNabb couldn't find them or threw it at their feet). Last night was a continuation of that and even an upgrade. The line was getting very good push and the ZBS looked great. Definitely something to build on. And this whole talk about us having the worst QB situation is and will continue to be crap. Grossman isn't great but he isn't terrible either.

So, can we find another way to say it than "Remember Osaka" because, though a handful of you think it's delightfully cute and charming, the rest of us find it completely annoying, overused, and asinine.

:applause: :applause: It ranks up there with "I know you are but what am I"

It's funny how people talk about a "stalemate" between the 1's......they didn't watch the same game I did. We drove from inside the our 5, with no negative plays all the way down to the ten and missed a field goal. There were a couple of pancake blocks, on one stretch left Trent had Keisel driven 8 yards off the ball. Trent was constantly on the second level, even had linemen missing blocks/looking around for blocks and still gaining 5-6 yards on the ground. Back side consistently getting cut by the guard and tackle. Hampton couldn't get any penetration with the exception of a screen pass. No penalties. Hightower pass blocking like a beast(dare I say, like CP). No one even sniffed Rexy on the first series. We were the more physical team by a mile.

On defense, multiple hits on Ben and Byron. Bowen gets the sack. Multiple negative palys. Cofield was playing like a man possessed. I've already watched the first half 3x he was consistently getting his hands on the center first and disengaging sitting down in his gap. They couldn't run the ball in short yardage though Redman did make a heck of a play on the touchdown against our 1's(minus Dhall, London, Landry, Atogwe). Kerrigan overran a few run plays - to be expected I guess. But I was actually amazed how well he moved in drops. They had him drop a lot last night. Did let a couple of balls get behind us. But overall pretty good on defense.

It's just preseason but I'm looking at a different team....not going to glean too much from this game but it's refreshing to see a focused, driven, smart, and physical football team for a change.

Just remember one word - OSAKA

Okay that is enough. I joked around with the Osaka stuff, but now it is time to get serious. Anybody who doesn't see the difference between what happened yesterday and what happened in Osaka needs to go study some more football and comeback with a better analysis....

I am not saying it is the same thing - I am saying the reaction from the fans is the same - everyone got hyped about that game and how good the team was going to be, and we all know what happend. All I am saying is temper this. Lets see how it goes after the first 4-6 games of the regular season before we get too up of too down on this team. They were NOT good last year and hard to expect them to be a 12-4 11-5 team this year.

Tom

I'm happy we sustained long 80+ yard drives into the redzone and did not shoot ourselves in the foot the entire time we were driving the ball. Ie no false starts, holdings, NO penalties. That is a slam dunk in my eyes for the first preseason game with a ton of new guys on the line and at WR.

I would not get too pumped. It's never as good or as bad as it seems. We did what we were supposed to do: execute. Let's leave it at that for now.

Those are my thoughts too, the defense executed and got to Big Ben, but I am withholding my elation until the games actually matter. I do think that this game did say more about the Steelers than it did the 'Skins though. Let's see the boys put together a couple more games like this and then we'll start talking.

I wasn't expecting the offense to play with such poise and efficiency against a team like the Steelers. The Steelers always play to win (I live in Steelers country). Our starting o-line played incredibly well against their first stringers and their 2nd stringers, who aren't too shabby if you take a look at their names and stats. Generally, I would say don't read too much into it -- it's just one game, but look at how they won. It wasn't with emotion; it was with precision. It wasn't with big plays; it was with sustained drives. This didn't feel like a one night stand; it felt like the beginning of a healthy marriage.

Redskins "Top 5" rankings in NFL stats, preseason game 1 (10 games, 20 teams so far):

Team Offense

• Yards/Game: #2 ... Patriots #1. Redskins 452; 52 yds ahead of #3.
  • Yards/Play: #4, with 5.8
  • 1st Downs: #2 (27). Patriots #1 (28).
  • Passing Yards: #2 (312) ... Patriots #1 (335)
  • Passing 1st Down %: #2 (44.2%) ... Cardinals #1 (46.7%).
  • Rushing Yards: #2 (140) ... Patriots #1 (141).
  • Time of Possession: #2 (39:25) ... Bucs #1 (39:27) ... Eagles #3 (35:46).
  • Penalties: #3 (3)
  • Turnovers: #1 tie (0)

Team Defense

• Yards/Game: #2 (186) ... Bucs #1 (137)
  • Yards/Play: #4 tie (3.9) ... Bucs #1 (3.0)
  • 1st Downs: #4 tie (12) ... Bucs #1 (6)
  • Penalties: #2 (2) ... Bucs #1 (0)
  • Penalty Yards: #2 (10) ... Bucs #1 (10)
  • Time of Possession: #2 (20:35) ... Bucs #1 (20:33)
  • Passing Yards: #4 (103) ... Bucs #1 (51)
  • QB Passer Rating: #4 (57.2) ... Saints #1 (25.6)
  • Sacks: #5 tie (3) ... Saints / Eagles / Bucs #1 (6)
  • Passing 1st Down %: #4 (22.2%) ... Bucs #1 (12.5%)
  • Yards/Pass: #5 (5.1) ... Bucs #1 (4.3)
  • Rushing Yards: #5 (83) ... Seahawks #1 (51)

Player Stats

• QB Passer Rating: #3 (Grossman, 109.0) ... backup QBs at #1 & #2
  • Completion Percentage: #2 (Grossman, 73.1%) ... Dalton 73.3%
  • Passing Yards: #2 (Grossman, 207)
  • Passing 1st Down Percentage: #1 (Grossman, 46.2%)
  • Passing 1st Downs: #1 (Grossman, 12) ... next closest, 9
  • Passing YPA: #5 (Grossman, 8.0) ... no other starter qualified
  • Receptions: #1 tie (Moss, 7)
  • Rushing Yards: #1 (Royster, 66)
  • Yards/Rush: #1 tie (Hightower and Royster), 4.4 ... minimum 10 rushes
  • Touchbacks: #1 (Gano, 5) ... next closest, 3
  • Field Goals: #2 tie (Gano, 3)
  • Kick Return, Longest: #3 (Banks, 58)
  • Punt Return, Longest: #8 tie (Banks and Austin, 19)

Observations:

• Redskins #2 to Bucs for best defense
  • Redskins #2 to Patriots for best offense
  • Patriots were facing Jaguars, Redskins were facing Steelers
  • Steelers 2010 defense: #1 in NFL for points/game allowed (14.5)
  • Steelers 2010 defense: #2 in NFL for yards/game allowed (276.8)
  • Jaguars 2010 defense: #27 in NFL for points/game allowed (26.2)
  • Jaguars 2010 defense: #28 in NFL for yards/game allowed (371.8)

Conclusion: Redskins team performance is best in NFL among 20 teams / 10 games, preseason week 1.

Yes, it's only one game. It's still extremely impressive, in context.

Redskins deep pass defense will improve if they get back both starting safeties. However, Landry remains a big question mark, arguably the most important right now. Redskins also forced no fumbles and had no INTs, and this has to improve.

The red-zone offense was disappointing, but this was against the Steelers, and with Cooley out. I expect the red-zone offense to improve.

Beck is unlikely to match Grossman, but that hardly matters. Grossman will be the starter. Clemens did very well after only a week of practice. If Beck is at least competent, the Redskins will have the deepest QB rotation in memory. Biggest questions on offense are Cooley's health and Helu's ability to pick up pass protection. Hightower is the obvious starter at RB, but has never carried a team. Torain and Helu need to show good pass protection and receiving skills, to avoid a large falloff from Hightower. They are all strong rushers, with a good changeup in skills.

Landry and Cooley have the most significant injuries, and the team needs them to be healthy. Otogwe has 3 weeks to come back from a hamstring injury, and should be fine by Game 1.

“Quite frankly we got outplayed in just about all areas — blocking, tackling, running, throwing, kicking,” Tomlin said. “That team was better prepared tonight than us. They showed it.

Tomlin said this ...

and I realize ... again, it is only preseason, but we really have not heard a lot of this around these parts for some time.

The Skins are now 2-1 against Tomlin in preseason, also beating him in '09 but losing in '07. Of course, we won't discuss the '08 regular-season game.

You do have to like Grossman's performance last night. The Skins have been the brunt of jokes for some time now but the lampooning of the QB situation has really been loud this offseason. It would be hilarious if Grossman or Beck took this team to the playoffs.

Positive first step, but getting carried away. if Big Ben throws a decent pass we're down 7-0 less than 5 minutes in. In additon to hat we drove on thier first team but didn't put punch it into the endzone which was a weakness last year. Be happy in that it looks like they're building the right way, but don't get carried away with the results...

I agree that people should be tempered in their reactions. I think to expect more than a one or two game improvement is setting yourself up for frustration, BUT the difference between Osaka and this game was that Shanahan doesn't game plan for his preseason games, Spurrier ran it like it was the SB.

This. Keep seeing people posting Osaka. I wonder if those same people watch the game last night at all. I wonder if they heard it 5x from BMitch last night and came away with it.

OSAKA = we didn't blow out the Steelers.

So every game we win in Preseason from now on The Idiots will come out and say Osaka? Are they the same Idiots that saying Danny runs the team now?

Archived