Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

POST GAME With AL GALDI - Fan Letter to YOU

LUCKYMAN

I have to disagree with YOU Al Galdi and your basic assumption that the first preseason game is not an indicator of the Skins season because as you say "just a reminder...last years first game Redskins 42 Buffalo 17. Enough said. Because the Redskins offense struggled during the season."

Well, Mr. Galdi, you have made a mistake. You have just compared the Pittsburgh Steelers to the Buffalo Bills. The Steelers just lost their first preseason game. This is the first time that has happened since 2006. The Steelers usually keep teams from scoring double digit points on them. They had the number TWO defense in the league last year, they were in the Superbowl last year and before that they won the Superbowl. This is a team that destroys offenses. And you are comparing them to the Buffalo Bills. Unbelievable.

Yes I understand that you have bought into the standared thought of WHATEVER A TEAM DID LAST YEAR, THEN THEY WILL DO THIS YEAR. Thats how all predictions are made. But except for the 2 missed field goals by a guy who won't be here, the Redskins should have won the game 23-7. These are the Pittsburgh Steelers that the Skins beat. Not the Buffalo Bills. If they had beat the Bills again, or CincinnatI or Cleveland or Detroit or Carolina...Then YES..I would say "hey its just a preseason game". But the Skins just whipped the Pittsburg Steelers. The Skins did not squeak by the Superbowl Steelers, the Skins WHIPPED them with over 400 yards total offense.

And as far as Rex Grossman getting "carried away" when he made his prediction of the Skins winning the NFC East, that is very unfair to say he got "CARRIED AWAY". If Rex believes it and plays with confidence, how is he "carried away".

But overall, I just think that You ,Al Galdi, have proven that you see every team as stuck in time. The Eagles will win the division because they did last year, the Patriots will make the playoffs because they did last year, and the Skins will have a losing record because they did last year. I understand why you see it that way...because you can't visualize the impact of new players, heart, attitude, and speed, which the Redskins displayed tonight. So you have lost my respect, not because you have an opinion, but because your opinion doesn't make sense. Its the same ole same ole politically correct statement that we normally assume is reserved for Washington politicians. You know how that goes. Just do the same old things and get the same old results. Perhaps you should consider running for Congress, cause your foresight and vision is missing.:logo:

But overall, I just think that You ,Al Galdi, have proven that you see every team as stuck in time. The Eagles will win the division because they did last year, the Patriots will make the playoffs because they did last year, and the Skins will have a losing record because they did last year.

A lot of "insiders" and "experts" see it that way. That's why preseason predictions, and even early regular season predictions, are garbage. The NFL is a year to year league. Plain and simple.

Edit: I like Al Galdi. And you can't blame the guy for wanting to temper expectations. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of "middle of the road" kind of commentators out there. You're either getting a homeresque type of analysis, or Al Galdi telling you to wait and see how the rest of the preseason unfolds. Nothing wrong with that, IMO.

So, if we win in preseason, the game means something. If we lose, it means nothing. Get a grip. This game was nothing more than a glorified practice. Furthermore, contending that it means anything more than LAST season's first preseason game is a farce.

So, if we win in preseason, the game means something. If we lose, it means nothing. Get a grip. This game was nothing more than a glorified practice. Furthermore, contending that it means anything more than LAST season's first preseason game is a farce.

I don't know what you are talking about. Certainly not this thread. I never said it means nothing if we lose, and its not about winning and losing really. Its about how your team plays. If you cannot see the difference between play Buffalo and playing Pittsburg in the first preseason game, then we have nothing to talk about and you should move next door to Al Galdi. You can build one of those wood fences and chat on weekends while standing in the yard, talking about how which team that won last year is going to win this year again, cause that's the way it is because you heard it on ESPN.

---------- Post added August-12th-2011 at 10:53 PM ----------

Who the **** is Al Galdi. I don't live in the area.

if you don't live in the area you can listen to the games on the Redskins Radio network. Al Galdi does the post game show. He is on right now.

Who the **** is Al Galdi. I don't live in the area.

Host of the Redskins post game show on ESPN 980. I really like listening to the show sitting in traffic coming out of the stadium after the game. He tells it like it is. Sure, he tries to find the silver lining, but isn't afraid to say what the real problems behind the game were.

ESPN runs down preseason games....the highlights start rolling, they get to the Steelers/Redskins game, make fun of Rex Grossman for his "win the NFC East" comment, throw up the box score for a couple seconds, and move on.....

Wow.

Yeah I noticed that too. If the Steelers would've won, I'm sure they would've spent some more time on it.

ESPN runs down preseason games....the highlights start rolling, they get to the Steelers/Redskins game, make fun of Rex Grossman for his "win the NFC East" comment, throw up the box score for a couple seconds, and move on.....

Wow.

They won't be making fun of the Skins after the first 2 weeks.

---------- Post added August-12th-2011 at 11:04 PM ----------

Al Galdi says Hankerson will be the 4th receiver. I think I just lost a little more respect for him. Once again this is the STANDARD line people keep talking about. Hankerson so far has shown NOTHING. Until he does, there is not reason to put him anywhere but the practice squad. He is going to have to PROVE that he is better that Austin or Kelly or Stallworth, and so far, Hankerson is the 6th receiver on my list which puts him on my practice squad for a year. That could change after 2 or 3 more weeks or practice and games, but as of NOW, he is number 6. Al Galdi you are stuck in a rut.

Wow.

Of course.

I'm not one of those who sees a media conspiracy against the Skins, but if you don't think there's some bias against us, you're just crazy.

And its not a purposeful agenda, as it goes. I don't think, anyways. I just think that ESPN is smart enough to know what plays well with its national audience, most of whom don't give a **** about the Skins and have MANY preconceived notions about the team, its ownership, etc, that they like having reinforced. People like "knowing" certain things about certain teams, and never having those things change, except through a Cinderella-story type ordeal. Because then its plausible, and easy to root for. And most importantly, then it STILL backs up their previous beliefs: after all, its a Cinderella story in the first place because everyone just knew what that team was at its core, and they STILL won. Impossible odds, and nobody needs to be "wrong".

Only come game-time does any national media "hype up" our game, to try to suck people in.

Its all so very transparent that it kind of makes me sick.

Al Galdi says Hankerson will be the 4th receiver. I think I just lost a little more respect for him. Once again this is the STANDARD line people keep talking about. Hankerson so far has shown NOTHING. Until he does, there is not reason to put him anywhere but the practice squad. He is going to have to PROVE that he is better that Austin or Kelly or Stallworth, and so far, Hankerson is the 6th receiver on my list which puts him on my practice squad for a year. That could change after 2 or 3 more weeks or practice and games, but as of NOW, he is number 6. Al Galdi you are stuck in a rut.

Let's slow down here. It was one preseason game. And Hanktime has had a little over 2 weeks of coaching instruction. I am as happy as anyone over the performances we saw tonight, but I'm not ready to throw anyone to the wolves just yet.

Well, maybe Graham...

Wow....people seem to be pretty sensitive here tonight. I agree this game was a positive because we competed & to me we seem like a much deeper, more talented team BUT lets not get carried away with this. This is still preseason and we had a grand total of 3 pts in 2 drives versus Pittsburgh's starting D. Lets also not write off rookies who got their first taste of gameday in the NFL. 8-8 seems a little optimistic to me. I'm more in the 6-7 win camp BUT it will be a much better feeling 6-7 wins considering the youth and depth on our roster.

Overreact much?

From the paraphrased part of his wrap that you posted and responded to in the OP, it's just a cautionary statement on it being the first pre-season game, and how year one went. I didn't read him as comparing the Steelers to the Bills. He just put a cautionary note out there on both pre-season's opening games, and what followed in year one.

Unless he said more, going off what you've reacted to in the OP I honestly don't see what there is to go nuts about.

Perspective people.

Hail.

Al Galdi is a local ESPN guy. It's his job to be critical but he's not rooting for our demise or anything like that. Personally I'm a fan of the guy. I just think he was trying to be neutral and to temper a bit of the enthusiasm surrounding the fans' attitude at the end of game. I'm optimistic -- great game, and even better front office and we are headed in the right direction.

HTTR!!

If you've been a skins fan for awhile, or if you're a reporter that's been covering the skins for awhile, you already know that the safe bet is to expect that the skins will not be succesful by seasons end, rather than the alternative. Personally I like the high I get from the optimism and when this team does well, but there is always a part of me that waits for the other shoe to drop every second of every game all season long. I try to keep it tempered and below the surface the majority of the time (and i'm usually more succesful than others on here :) )but its always there, and for good reason.

I am good with the press giving us no respect. I want the Skins to play with a chip on their shoulders this year. If they keep playing like they did last night, then they will be competitive in every game this year. We will win some and we will lose some. That chip might make the difference in getting them over that hump to have more wins than losses. Both the Oline and Dline played very well last night in my opinion. It all starts up front.

There continues to be a misunderstanding about how the practice squad works. You cannot just stash players there and keep them protected. Before you put a player on the practice squad you have to cut them. Once that happens they have to clear waivers which means that the other 31 teams in the NFL can claim him. If he does clear the player has to consent to go on the squad and even after a team can sign him off your practice squad.

Everything after the first stage is academic in Hankerson's case however as a 3rd pick with his upside would absolutely be claimed by one of the 31 other teams.

Overreact much?

From the paraphrased part of his wrap that you posted and responded to in the OP, it's just a cautionary statement on it being the first pre-season game, and how year one went. I didn't read him as comparing the Steelers to the Bills. He just put a cautionary note out there on both pre-season's opening games, and what followed in year one.

Unless he said more, going off what you've reacted to in the OP I honestly don't see what there is to go nuts about.

Perspective people.

Hail.

One thing I've learned on ES over the years is that we have a rather large "How dare they!" crowd when it comes to the media.

Archived