Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

POST GAME With AL GALDI - Fan Letter to YOU

LUCKYMAN

Guys, guys, why all the negativity?? All the OP was trying to say was that he/she was proud of the way this team looked and played. There's no doubt in my mind that we are a much better team this year, than last year. I was surprised at the great chemistry we had on both sides of the ball, and was surprised to see how "pumped up" all of our players were. I'm excited for the season, as is the OP. No need for negativity, we've had enough of that over the years!

Thanks and HTTR!

Guys, guys, why all the negativity??

I don't think anyone is being overly negative. The OP was just a little too sensitive towards Al Galdi for giving his opinion and assessment of the team after one preseason game (which is what he's PAID to do). Anyone can get on the microphone and paint the game with roses, but I like to hear someone who is objective and honest. Even if I disagree with said reporters opinion, I'd never say I lost respect for them for doing their job. That's silly. Al Galdi has never shown to unreasonable or unfair in his evaluation... and I tend to trust someone who actually has watched all these players in person on the practice field and in the games.

It was a great showing by this team, but when you hear someone who doesn't come out and say the Redskins are making the playoffs or going to the Super Bowl, take a deep breath and listen to what they're saying, don't take it personal, and let's hope you're right and not them!

How could anyone who knows anything about football knock this performance? We DOMINATED a Super Bowl team on both sides of the ball. The sky's the limit with this team.

Al Galdi has a clear agenda against the team, and he won't stop even when a great performance conflicts with his anti-Skins talking points.

Look, i'm just as excited as the next guy about what I saw last night. What i saw was a team that played with effort. Results be damned, thats all we've been asking for. There were some bone headed plays, but when Mike Tomlin says after the game 'We were outplayed in every area', you have to like that...

That said...

IT IS A PRESEASON GAME.

Last time the redskins won the super bowl they were 1-3 in the preseason.

Preseason means nothing in terms of season results.

---------- Post added August-13th-2011 at 11:19 AM ----------

Al Galdi has a clear agenda against the team, and he won't stop even when a great performance conflicts with his anti-Skins talking points.

What?!

Do you even listen to Al Galdi on a regular basis?

He has no agenda, other than to give it to you straight. He's one of the most unbiased, logical reporters in the area. Christ you people are amazing. It's a frekin preseason game.

I don't know what you are talking about. Certainly not this thread. I never said it means nothing if we lose, and its not about winning and losing really. Its about how your team plays. If you cannot see the difference between play Buffalo and playing Pittsburg in the first preseason game, then we have nothing to talk about and you should move next door to Al Galdi. You can build one of those wood fences and chat on weekends while standing in the yard, talking about how which team that won last year is going to win this year again, cause that's the way it is because you heard it on ESPN.

---------- Post added August-12th-2011 at 10:53 PM ----------

It's a reaction to the overreaction of members on this site. Recent history is on the side of Galdi. This preseason game means nothing, particularly when you consider our starters were in the entire first half. Ben played what? One series?

Coincidentally, I'd love to move next door to Al. I'd bet dollars to donuts that he lives in a very nice neighborhood, and has become friends with at least some of DC's athletes. Dinner parties at Al's? Hell yes! Got his address?

We played well but we didn't dominate, and we didn't put up points on their first string D which has been a weakness (long drives that stall in the redzone). I am optimistic by what I saw but there's definitely a lot of room for improvement and this was just a preseason game. Its no time to get too high or too low and this overreaction to a reporter who cautioned fans in his postgame analysis is a bit much. People need to stop being so sensitive! We have sucked for a long time and until we can establish consistent success, why should this team and franchise get a ton of respect? (although I don't think Galdi was being negative)

Let's slow down here. It was one preseason game. And Hanktime has had a little over 2 weeks of coaching instruction. I am as happy as anyone over the performances we saw tonight, but I'm not ready to throw anyone to the wolves just yet.

Well, maybe Graham...

I agree, Hankerson will be fine, and he was in his first game so give him the rest of the pre-season before giving up on him. He has produced at a high level at Miami after dropping ball early in his career, he overcame that then, he will do it at this level.

Host of the Redskins post game show on ESPN 980. I really like listening to the show sitting in traffic coming out of the stadium after the game. He tells it like it is. Sure, he tries to find the silver lining, but isn't afraid to say what the real problems behind the game were.

That makes sense, then, because ESPN 980 is full of retards. Last week on some moron show, the Skins were supposedly on of the two worst teams in the league last season, and the Cowboys were set to take or at least make it to the Superbowl this year. Way to recycle last year's show, you idiots !

That makes sense, then, because ESPN 980 is full of retards. Last week on some moron show, the Skins were supposedly on of the two worst teams in the league last season, and the Cowboys were set to take or at least make it to the Superbowl this year. Way to recycle last year's show, you idiots !

I'd like to know what the "some moron show" was. Keep in mind that ESPN 980 simulcasts national shows from ESPN radio. I doubt that a local DC show was picking the Cowboys to reach the Super Bowl.

i listen to espn 980 every day, pretty much all day.

i've never heard anything close to what you're saying... so i'm just going to go with you're making it up.

How could anyone who knows anything about football knock this performance? We DOMINATED a Super Bowl team on both sides of the ball. The sky's the limit with this team.

Right. Al Galdi has a clear agenda against the team because he keeps everyone in check about reading WAYYY too much into the preseason. :doh:

If Al Galdi had an anti-Redskins agenda, don't you think he would be gone by now? It's not like ESPN 980 is some outside radio station. They broadcast skins pre-game shows, preseason and regular season games, and oh BTW, are owned by Red Zebra Broadcasting. Yeah, that's right, Danny Snyder's company. And we all know how well Snyder and the media mix.

Skins fans have got to learn to stop being so touchy about the criticsm of our team. I believe whole heartedly that we are on the right track and I'm very excited. But you know what? I LOVE the disrespect this team is getting. It's going to be that much sweeter when we prove everyone wrong. But constantly complaining about "the media's agenda" against the Redskins will get you nowhere. We've been bad for a LONG time. Anyone who thinks that the attitudes about that from the media are going to just change overnight, are reaching. Big time.

There continues to be a misunderstanding about how the practice squad works. You cannot just stash players there and keep them protected. Before you put a player on the practice squad you have to cut them. Once that happens they have to clear waivers which means that the other 31 teams in the NFL can claim him. If he does clear the player has to consent to go on the squad and even after a team can sign him off your practice squad.

Everything after the first stage is academic in Hankerson's case however as a 3rd pick with his upside would absolutely be claimed by one of the 31 other teams.

Yup. To even attempt to put Hankerson on the practice squad would be the definition of dumb.

I like Al Galdi. I listen to the post game show, and he is one of the more even headed commentators out there. He tells it like he sees it, and doesn't seem to have either the blind homer glasses or the ax to grind like most. (cough cough Lavar, Dukes, Riggo...)

I think it is absolutely fine to be somewhat cautious in examining the team. We don't have a clue what's going to happen in real games, with game plans, and what not. We did have a good first pre-season game against the bills last year, and then a rather poor season. So there is evidence that we should be cautiously optimistic after playing well against the Steelers.

Thought a couple of points for optimism:

1. The Steelers are not the Bills. Last year, the bills also had a first year coach, and were not a very good team, and they were learning new systems. The Steelers represented the AFC in the superbowl, are bringing back 22 starters and don't have to learn anything new. And the 'Skins out-efforted them, and out played them in all phases of the game. And that's not my opinion, that's what Mike Tomlin said. So, there's reason for optimism.

2. The Shanahan's and Haslett know how to coach. I know there is a lot of hatred out there for each of them individually, but I really don't think we have to worry about our coaches being out-schemed on gameday most of the time. So when teams are going to game plan for us, we are game planning for them too.

3. This is the second year of the systems. Consistency. With competent coaches and coordinators, not the clowns of Zorn and Blache. The last 2 times this happened with competent coaches (2005 and 2007) those teams went to the playoffs. Consistency mixed with competency goes a long way.

4. Say what you want about Rex and Beck, the QB is NOT learning a new offense. That's huge. There are a lot of other players learning the scheme because of roster turnover, but the QBs should know what's going on. Last year, McNabb and Beck had to both learn the system, and it took McNabb a while to get it down, if he ever did.

5. This team has more young talent on it than in years past. It's younger, faster and stronger than we've had here since probably 2005.

So, while it's good to temper expectations, as Al Galdi was trying to do, it's also good to point out the differences from last year to this year.

And I'm going to boink the next person who mentions OSAKA over the head with a base ball bat. That situation and this situation are completely different. That's for you Mr. Brian "I hate Dan Snyder and want to trash everything about the 'Skins all the time because he cut my ass for deion and I'm still not over it 11 years later " Mitchell.

Media coverage -- I take it for what it is.

Frankly -- I'd rather have the media talking down the Redskins at the start of the season and then having to talk them up at the end of the season ... rather than the other way around.

I'm happy with the way the team played....they were fired up and played pretty good ball.

What we need to remember is the 'skins were in every game but 2 last year and have improved almost every position on the team this year.

With that said,I'll just sit back and hope to see some improvement this year.

i listen to espn 980 every day, pretty much all day.

i've never heard anything close to what you're saying... so i'm just going to go with you're making it up.

Heard it last week on the way to work, not that I care what you believe.

---------- Post added August-14th-2011 at 02:03 PM ----------

I'd like to know what the "some moron show" was. Keep in mind that ESPN 980 simulcasts national shows from ESPN radio. I doubt that a local DC show was picking the Cowboys to reach the Super Bowl.

I was in Cali on the way to work, 8.30am or so. Didn't pay much attention to it, so I don't even know what show it was.

:hysterical:

Must have been this one I heard broadcast (rebroadcast?) on KNBR :

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?350581-Colin-Cowherd-rippin-Skins-yet-again...

Looks like you didn't know ****.

you don't have a clue.

colin cowherd is ESPN radio, not ESPN 980.

ESPN 980 plays ESPN radio shows from time to time. specifically they play Mike and Mike in the morning every morning. The exception is their training camp shows with Andy Polin and Kevin Shehan, Monday Morning Quarterback (after redskins games, i believe the same people?), and a few other times they'll play a local show instead of Mike and Mike.

If you heard Colin Cowherd on ESPN 980 it's because they were filling a gap. he's not regularly on the show, and is not part of ESPN 980's staff. He's part of ESPN Radio's staff (two different things...), and has a regular show with them.

So it looks like the one who doesn't know ****, and has no clue, is you. Noone from ESPN 980's staff said what you claim. You don't know what you're talking about, please stop pretending you do.

edit:

your original post:

what you meant to say is ESPN radio, not ESPN 980. more specifically you meant colin cowherd. congrats, you're now part of the 99% of the general population who thinks cowherd is a huge idiot, myself included. but that has nothing to do with ESPN 980.

your other posts say you were in cali? christ, no wonder, you weren't listening to espn 980 at all! lol, what a joke.

Archived