Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Jabar Gaffney could be a breakout star in 2011

themurf

gaffney080911.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

There’s a lot to like about what’s taking place with the Washington Redskins this season.

Management is finally utilizing the draft as the primary way of building the franchise from the ground up as opposed to overpaying free agents. Attention has been given to upgrading both the offensive and defensive lines. And distractions such as disgruntled defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth are long gone.

Unfortunately, the Redskins still appear to have one major hurdle – the lack of a legitimate franchise quarterback.

Head coach Mike Shanahan might fall asleep at night dreaming of the trio of John Beck, Rex Grossman and Kellen Clemens taking over the league by storm, but there aren’t too many other people who feel the same way.

In fact, many believe that Washington’s quarterback situation is so dire that it rivals Miami’s rotation* for the worst in the NFL in 2011.

*Interestingly enough, while even Dolphins fans are mocking the team’s current QB situation – chanting for players who aren’t on the roster every time Chad Henne throws an incomplete pass – Miami is the same team who cut Beck. So if they’ve got the worst quarterback situation in football, but the Redskins are going into the season with someone Miami gave up on, what does that say about Washington?

It’s not unreasonable to believe that if the Redskins could get any sort of consistency out of one of their quarterbacks, that the offense could be worth watching.

The running back rotation appears to have three players worth watching – with Ryan Torain, Tim Hightower and Roy Helu. The receiver corps is much improved from a year ago, when bums like Joey Galloway and Roydell Williams somehow conned a paycheck out the front office. And tight end remains the deepest position on the team, with Chris Cooley and Fred Davis.

One player who in the mix who appears to be a strong candidate for a breakout season is receiver Jabar Gaffney, who the Redskins acquired in a trade with Denver involving defensive end Jeremy Jarmon.

Gaffney might never be a Pro Bowl player, but he’s dependable enough to have racked up 119 catches for 1,607 yards and four touchdowns over the last two seasons.

If he’s able to post similar numbers in his first season in Washington (60 catches for 800 yards and two touchdowns), it’s safe to the Redskins will have gotten the better end of that trade.*

*Nothing against Jarmon, but he was never a Shanahan guy. He was drafted by a previous regime for a different defensive scheme, so even though he’s still only 23, Washington was fortunate to get value for a player they weren’t interested in keeping around.

And here’s why ‘Skins fans should be cautiously optimistic about Gaffney in 2011 – with the exception of a few seasons with Tom Brady in New England, Gaffney has never been fortunate enough to play with an above average quarterback.

Instead, he’s been stuck with the likes of David Carr, Tony Banks, Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow for much of his 10 seasons in the NFL. So he should feel right at home catching passes from Beck, Grossman or whoever.

“It was a bit shocking when I first found out, but then it was followed by a bit of relief,” Gaffney said of being traded. “I’m excited to come over here and play for Coach Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan, who I obviously know a lot about from Houston. It’ll be great to play for those guys.”

For those in town who might not be familiar with your game, what type of receiver are you?

Click here for the full article.

Another great write up and interview. I am excited the team actually has two already worthy wideouts and the team is not going into the season hoping somebody can step up to compliment Santana.

I'm legitimately stoked at the thought of Santana Moss, Jabar Gaffney, Anthony Armstrong and Leonard Hankerson. Each of the four guys has something unique they bring to the table. Now we just need to see if anyone can consistently get them the football.

Is it just me or do we seem to be hearing the same hungry, excited attitude from the whole team these days? People frequently underestimate the psychology of it, but confidence breeds confidence, a positive attitude can be a vital piece to success.

I'll gladly take my lumps later if they crash-n-burn but I just can't help sippin' the KoolAid at this point.

I really liked this trade when it went down. Jarmon just didn't fit the the 3-4 here & to get a veteran WR for a guy that was a supplemental draft pick was nice. With Gaffney's route running, I'd say he's nearly a lock to make the final 53.

I think so too. Gaffney is a solid posession WR that we've been lacking for a long time. Moss may still lead the team in catches, but Gaffney should be able to have around 60 or so. He's not a gamebreaker by any means, but he'll make enough catches to move the chains and that's what we really need.

I really liked this trade when it went down. Jarmon just didn't fit the the 3-4 here & to get a veteran WR for a guy that was a supplemental draft pick was nice. With Gaffney's route running, I'd say he's nearly a lock to make the final 53.

Jabar Gaffney's a definite lock. Donte Stallworth, Brandon Banks and Malcolm Kelly, on the other hand ... not so much.

I'm legitimately stoked at the thought of Santana Moss, Jabar Gaffney, Anthony Armstrong and Leonard Hankerson. Each of the four guys has something unique they bring to the table. Now we just need to see if anyone can consistently get them the football.

For too many years there has been the hope that guy xyz pulls it together and gives Santana some help, with the four you mentioned I think it is safe to say as Santana rides off into the sunset the team should have a capable guy or two to follow. I also must say it is nice that Moss is going to finish his career here.

---------- Post added August-9th-2011 at 08:57 AM ----------

Is it just me or do we seem to be hearing the same hungry, excited attitude from the whole team these days? People frequently underestimate the psychology of it, but confidence breeds confidence, a positive attitude can be a vital piece to success.

I'll gladly take my lumps later if they crash-n-burn but I just can't help sippin' the KoolAid at this point.

sight dig at OF and his numbers/percentages hahaa

---------- Post added August-9th-2011 at 08:58 AM ----------

Jarmon would have never reached his potential here in the 3-4, I wish him well. I will be following him in Denver, thought the guy had a huge upside.

I don't think any of those 3 make it. Maybe Banks, but it doesn't even seem like he is a lock.

If I were in charge Banks would make it, don't see a point in an oft injured Kelly at all or an unproductive Stallworth outside of possible bringing him back later in the year if we need some wide out help who knows the offense

This isn't 4 years ago

Last year our own Santana Moss bested Stallworths last three years of production alone

With Banks you know what we got

A very productive returner

People keep saying that the rookies can replace him

Talks cheap, show me on the field

Until that happens Banks still has the nod over all the others to me

Thinking otherwise will get the team in serious trouble

Can't wait until Friday :)

I'm excited hearing how Niles Paul has great hands....always heard that about Kelly but he's always hurt. Paul has size and speed and great hands plus can return kicks? i fear losing him if we put him on the practice squad.

Paul is the fifth (and possibly final) guy I see the Redskins keeping at wide out - specifically for the special teams skills you mentioned. If they keep a sixth, my best guess it'll be Banks or someone else who won't actually take the field on offense.

I hope Niles Paul makes it. He's got some serious speed. I think at one point he clocked a 4.40 as his 40yd. Just send him straight down the field and put it in front of him. He would be gone. Our WR corp is looking good.

sidenote: It sounds like the Huskers are impressing people so far. I bet it makes them work harder knowing that they will share the field with teammates they were with last year if they make it.

I really like the fact that Gaffney has made it through all 16 games 8 out of 9 seasons. I also like that he is hungry to be here and ready to play football. I was high on Kelly, but it is time he packed his bags and left town.

I hope Niles Paul makes it. He's got some serious speed. I think at one point he clocked a 4.40 as his 40yd. Just send him straight down the field and put it in front of him. He would be gone. Our WR corp is looking good.

sidenote: It sounds like the Huskers are impressing people so far. I bet it makes them work harder knowing that they will share the field with teammates they were with last year if they make it.

Yes, he does, special teams and offense, both behind 3rd team. http://www.redskins.com/team/depth-chart.html

Nice hearing someone say their relieved to be coming to Washington. Its been a long time since we've heard that.

I think that is key....far to long we have had overated high price mercinaries who come here for a paycheck. Back when we were winning guys came here to be REDSKINS! I will take guys that no one has ever heard of that want to play here vs guys everyone knows who are just in it to buy another car or house

I always thought Gaffney was underrated. When I saw that we traded for him, I was so stoked.

But you make an awesome point as to how Gaffney has pretty much had the deck stacked against him (bad QBs) for his whole career. When he finally gets to play with a good QB (Brady) he is left in the shadow of Randy Moss.

Every year I say this, but I believe it the most this year: I really think this team will surprise a few people.

Our defense will be able to hold their own, and I think our running game will allow whoever our QB is to be more of a game manager. With receivers like Gaffney and Moss out there among others I think we'll be alright.

Archived