Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Jabar Gaffney could be a breakout star in 2011

themurf

Wish we had a reliable QB to throw the ball to those guys.

That's a pretty novel idea around here, I haven't heard it voiced much.

I however see things differently. I don't care that we don't have a "franchise QB." The Franchise Moaners around here would have been thrilled to "trade the house" - such as it is - for our franchise QB. That's not the way to build this team. I'm more than happy for QB to be the last building block we get in place, a year or two from now.

For now, I think Rex Grossman will do just fine, frankly. This team needs to be built from the ground up, not the other way around.

That's a pretty novel idea around here, I haven't heard it voiced much.

I however see things differently. I don't care that we don't have a "franchise QB." The Franchise Moaners around here would have been thrilled to "trade the house" - such as it is - for our franchise QB. That's not the way to build this team. I'm more than happy for QB to be the last building block we get in place, a year or two from now.

For now, I think Rex Grossman will do just fine, frankly. This team needs to be built from the ground up, not the other way around.

I was not talking about a franchise QB this year but just a reliable QB. Grossman has always been his old self, throwing as many INTs as TDs, and even with a great Bear's defense he couldn't help them win Super Bowl XLI. We need to develop those young guys, and start building confidence by winning as many games as we can. I wish we could have found a QB with a better TDs/INTs ratio.

With the addition of Gaffney, I really think we are playing with House money as we watch Hankerson, Paul, Robinson, Austin and Banks fight for spots. While I believe that our goal for the season will be to get the younger guys reps, having Gaffney and Stallworth around to provide competition will let the young guys know that nothing in this League is given and force them to earn their reps. And it's not like Gaffney's on an A.R.E. type deal, as he's a Free Agent in two years.

Is it just me or do we seem to be hearing the same hungry, excited attitude from the whole team these days? People frequently underestimate the psychology of it, but confidence breeds confidence, a positive attitude can be a vital piece to success.

I'll gladly take my lumps later if they crash-n-burn but I just can't help sippin' the KoolAid at this point.

I agree 100%.

Archived