Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: USA downgraded by S&P

winstonspencer

As an aside:

On this board I feel like I'm shilling for the Tea Party. But I'll hold down this exact same position when I visit my parents for dinner tomorrow night and they'll ask themselves how their son came to be a such radical liberal apologist. :ols:

I'm the right winger at my dinner table. I know the feeling. I've also been banned by democraticunderground.com for secretly being conservative.

As an aside:

On this board I feel like I'm shilling for the Tea Party. But I'll hold down this exact same position when I visit my parents for dinner tomorrow night and they'll ask themselves how their son came to be a such radical liberal apologist. :ols:

Parents are a pain...I envy you

But the downgrade didn't come until after the debt ceiling was increased. If the downgrade happened for fear of an impending default, I could see your point. The debt ceiling was increased but the debt load remained almost unchanged. That's the primary cause of the downgrade.

Both sides refused to budge on parts of the solution. Both sides caused the problem.

That is the primary cause of the downgrade.

However:

More broadly, the downgrade reflects our view that the effectiveness, stability, and predictability of American policymaking and political institutions have weakened at a time of ongoing fiscal and economic challenges to a degree more than we envisioned when we assigned a negative outlook to the rating on April 18, 2011.

But wait... there's more:

Since then, we have changed our view of the difficulties in bridging the gulf between the political parties over fiscal policy, which makes us pessimistic about the capacity of Congress and the Administration to be able to leverage their agreement this week into a broader fiscal consolidation plan that stabilizes the government’s debt dynamics any time soon.

Parts bolded and underlined for emphasis.

What this says to me, is that things were certainly looking poorly. Because of the "gulf" between the political parties, they don't think we'll be able to solve this any time soon. The Tea Party and their great stand against raising the debt ceiling made this gulf both wide and apparent. S&P would have normally expected these types of problems to be handled with a matter of compromise. The fact that there was no agreement until the deadline shows a lack of compromise and a matter of political posturing.

I'm the right winger at my dinner table. I know the feeling. I've also been banned by democraticunderground.com for secretly being conservative.

My dad is somewhere between twa and attila the hun on the political spectrum. The best we can hope for is a conversation about the weather

Your intelligence gives you away. We know you're not a tp'er

My mom's a brainiac but she's got some hobbit in her. They might be dull as a group but there are some shrewd tp'ers.

:ols: Well thank God for ES, then.

Parents are a pain...I envy you

I couldn't be happier with them, pain and all.

I get the feeling your kids would say the same...pain and all. ;)

Ok, so what does this mean for my investments? If these ****es in Washington have ****ed my money up, I'm gonna freak the **** out. And PLEASE don't tell me to back away from the ledge. I wanna know how this is gonna effect my savings and 401k. Do I just cash it all out or what????????

My girlfriend thinks I have turned into a flaming liberal in the 4 years we have been going out

I tell her that none of my positions have changed, but "conservative" thought has gone off the deep end in the past 4 years. And its true.

This is a complete debacle that started with the debacle of the Bush administration, a refusal to adjust to economic realities, easy credit, 2 wars which have done nothing for this country and incredible arrogance and stupidity on Wall Street and Congress since 1999.

The American people should be on Capitol Hill tomorrow morning ready to storm the building. This is a complete and utter failure of leadership

elections are gonna be real interesting. Look like everyone is gonna get fired and hopefully moderates are elected.

Moderates will be eliminated.

Considering the current hatred of congress; I fully expect Nancy Pelosi to be back in control in Jan. 2013. Dems only need to win 25 - 30 seats or so and given the anger at the Republicans; it should be easy. You'll still have an extreme congress just left wing again, instead of right wing.

You either have 4 more years of Obama or probably a right winger Rick Perry.

Senate could flip to the Republicans just because of the number of seats the Dems have to defend but I think the anger at the Republicans will have them holding.

Ok, so what does this mean for my investments? If these ****es in Washington have ****ed my money up, I'm gonna freak the **** out. And PLEASE don't tell me to back away from the ledge. I wanna know how this is gonna effect my savings and 401k. Do I just cash it all out or what????????

Ride it out,if anything your interest earned will go up

add

if it makes ya feel better the big dogs are piling it up in the banks

Jeesus. Fat Stupid Loser is just channeling every single bogus Rush Limbaugh talking point (right down to bowing to "Ronaldus Maximus") and people are just letting it slide. Our standards have dropped.

Oh well, it's ok. I'm off to Hawaii in a few hours. Screw the economy, screw honest discussion, screw all of you. I'm a well-off top 5 percenter, I've been getting richer and richer and richer for a decade, and and I'm gonna have a Scrooge McDuck kind of time! Thanks for letting people like me fool people like you into thinking that we bear too much of the tax burden. I'll think of you as I order another frozen margarita at the Infinity Pool. :ols:

---------- Post added August-5th-2011 at 10:11 PM ----------

Ride it out for how long? I'm seriously thinking about cashing out my 401k and either putting it all in CD's or digging a hole in my yard and burying it.

Leave it where it is. You already ate some of the fall - you don't wanna miss the recovery.

Idiots in Washington? lol The idiots in Washington noticed that S&P's math was off by 2 trillion (with a t) and notified them this morning. They lowered the credit rating anyway. This is a power play by Wall St. and it's painfully obvious.

U.S. Treasury officials received S&P's analysis Friday afternoon and alerted the agency to an error that inflated U.S. deficits by $2 trillion, said the administration official, who was not authorized to speak for attribution. The agency acknowledged the mistake, but said it was sticking with its decision to lower the U.S. rating from a top score of AAA to AA+, the official said.

so why did they do it? The math was off so surely their reasoning must be equally as concrete.

Chambers said the slowness at raising the debt ceiling and the political infighting led to the move.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/BUSINESS/08/05/credit.rating.reaction.cnn/index.html

can you remember a time when a mixed control government didn't experience infighting on economic policy in congress? Of course not. People need to stop trying to make this move by S&P out to be credible just because they prefer it to be. The evidence is overwhelming and the company issuing the rating should have no credibility in anyone's eyes by now.

The American people should be on Capitol Hill tomorrow morning ready to storm the building. This is a complete and utter failure of leadership

Fat lot of good that would do, seeing as Congress wouldn't be there to listen. In the wake of their failure they have left town for their summer recess and won't be back until September.

Leave it where it is. You already ate some of the fall - you don't wanna miss the recovery.

I have trouble seeing how anyone that experience 2008 can trust the market anymore.

Depending on how much cash one has, you can ride it till you are in position to cash out.

Those of us who bought gold in 2007-2008 look pretty f'ng smart these days, no?

can you remember a time when a mixed control government didn't experience infighting on economic policy in congress? Of course not. People need to stop trying to make this move by S&P out to be credible just because they prefer it to be. The evidence is overwhelming and the company issuing the rating should have no credibility in anyone's eyes by now.

100 percent agree. These were the same idiots who rated subprime loans "AAA" back in 2005. Why Wall Street or any multibillion dollar multinational has any credibility is beyond me today.

Which makes President Obama that much more disappointing. He had a real mandate to break the grip of corporate America on this country and failed completely.

Jeesus. Fat Stupid Loser is just channeling every single bogus Rush Limbaugh talking point (right down to bowing to "Ronaldus Maximus") and people are just letting it slide. Our standards have dropped.

Oh well, it's ok. I'm off to Hawaii in a few hours. Screw the economy, screw honest discussion, screw all of you. I'm a well-off top 5 percenter, I've been getting richer and richer and richer for a decade, and and I'm gonna have a Scrooge McDuck kind of time! Thanks for letting people like me fool people like you into thinking that we bear too much of the tax burden. I'll think of you as I order another frozen margarita at the Infinity Pool. :ols:

---------- Post added August-5th-2011 at 10:11 PM ----------

All right Predicto!!!! About time you said this I am proud of you. :beavisnbutthead: Enjoy the pool!

Until that crashes, hell yes. There is no "put your money here and you'll make crazy profits and never risk any of it" option. You have to educate yourself on the investment, and stay on top of it. There will be a time to get out of gold and those that do will smirk at those that didn't.

I have trouble seeing how anyone that experience 2008 can trust the market anymore.

Depending on how much cash one has, you can ride it till you are in position to cash out.

Those of us who stayed in the market when it fell in 2007-2008 have made excellent returns, actually. Those who pulled out missed a lot.

100 percent agree. These were the same idiots who rated subprime loans "AAA" back in 2005. Why Wall Street or any multibillion dollar multinational has any credibility is beyond me today.

Which makes President Obama that much more disappointing. He had a real mandate to break the grip of corporate America on this country and failed completely.

Completely agree. The financial services industry is completely out of control and Obama sent them boat loads of cash.... to teach them a lesson!

Archived