Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: USA downgraded by S&P

winstonspencer

Speaking of contortions...ignoring the issues to blame the Tea Party is quite a feat.

a simple raising of the debt limit would be worse in S&P's view....but there is still hope:silly:

Blaming this on the tea party is beyond ridiculous. Hacks didn't listen to them about the part about them recommending some serious spending cuts. A clean debt raise wouldn't have mattered.

You mean instead of worrying about a passing a half assed health care bill they might have done something when they had the power.

Nah, the dems on this board probably think the dems didn't know this issue was on the horizon :ols:

But ya'll keep thinking its a raising taxes issue :ols:

Teh debt problem is not just a raising taxes issue. It's not just a cutting spending issue. We need a long term deficit solution, and it is going to involve both of those things, and everyone bears the blame.

But in this more short term case, this immediate credit downgrade case, THAT is because people dicked around with the debt ceiling last week. Nothing more. That one is all on the Tea Party.

I am looking forward to the contortions that some people will make to try to blame this on Obama, or Reid, or Geithner, or anyone but the Tea Party Caucus . It will be entertaining, if not informative.

By Monday at the latest, we will have the uniform script in place from the Right, with all of the Fox talking heads and pundits using the same two or three buzzwords.

Hell yes I'm bitter. Everyone with one ounce of integrity knew this was coming.

Actually, I put a lot more of the blame on the fact that we built a structural deficit into the budget during the Bush years. If we'd merely gone from surpluses to a balanced budget during that period, we'd have a lot more breathing room right now, even with the crash in 2008. But no, Bush wanted to go to war and cut taxes at the same time. We had to have our guns and butter.

(For the record, I don't blame Bush for losing the surplus. The tech bust would have taken care of that by itself. But I do blame him for the deficits. He still could have run a balanced budget, or at least a nearly-balanced budget.)

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Couldn't this have been much, much, much easier to prevent if we (as a country) decided to balance the budget when we has a boom in the economy during the Bush years?

Bingo.

I am looking forward to the contortions that some people will make to try to blame this on Obama, or Reid, or Geithner, or anyone but the Tea Party Caucus . It will be entertaining, if not informative.

By Monday at the latest, we will have the uniform script in place from the Right, with all of the Fox talking heads and pundits using the same two or three buzzwords.

Hell yes I'm bitter. Everyone with one ounce of integrity knew this was coming.

I don't understand. If the Republicans didn't demand it, we would have just raised the debt limit with no action taken on the debt limit at all. How is this the Tea Party's fault?

Actually, I put a lot more of the blame on the fact that we built a structural deficit into the budget during the Bush years. If we'd merely gone from surpluses to a balanced budget during that period, we'd have a lot more breathing room right now, even with the crash in 2008. But no, Bush wanted to go to war and cut taxes at the same time. We had to have our guns and butter.

This.

But in this more short term case, this immediate credit downgrade case, THAT is because people dicked around with the debt ceiling last week. Nothing more. That one is all on the Tea Party.

Sorry but its more likely the 16 trillion dollar debt the U.S will now have while only binging in 2.5 trillion that causes the down grade.

Ok. So you don't think this downgrade has anything to do with the size of the debt, its just the result of debt limit vote. That's not how I read the quote in alexey's post.

I don't understand. If the Republicans didn't demand it, we would have just raised the debt limit with no action taken on the debt limit at all. How is this the Tea Party's fault?

It's not. The only thing the tea party did was force a debate,yes they were ridiculous in rejecting any revenue increases, but they recognized a problem when no one in Washington did. Some of the dc punditry who will blame on this on the tea party are some of the same people who dismissed the notion that the national debt was problem at all ( and that entitlements in it's current form are just fine).

I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

I hate politics.

I do have one idea, and correct me if this is a foolish idea. But I am always hearing about how the US government is giving millions of dollars in aid to various countries. How about, I dunno, we keep some of that?

This is the best news I've heard in weeks.

Maybe now our politicians will get it together.

However.. as soon as this news broke, everyone just started pointing fingers at each other instead of talking about how to fix this.

So this could be a disaster.

Because if the Tea Party hadn't held the negotiations hostage by their insistance on no tax increases or loophole closings then a much more robust plan would have been passed which would have had 4 cuts to every one raise and might have actually been viewed much more positively in how it dealt with our deficit issues. What we got was a minimalist band-aid.

This is the best news I've heard in weeks.

Maybe now our politicians will get it together.

However.. as soon as this news broke, everyone just started pointing fingers at each other instead of talking about how to fix this.

So this could be a disaster.

Right. Both sides have to get it together. The immediate finger pointing in this thread is disconcerting. If anyone thinks it was one side or the other that got us in this mess, they're exasperating of the problem.

I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

I hate politics.

I do have one idea, and correct me if this is a foolish idea. But I am always hearing about how the US government is giving millions of dollars in aid to various countries. How about, I dunno, we keep some of that?

Lol, foreign aid doesn't even make a dent in the federal budget. It is less than 1%.

Right. Both sides have to get it together. The immediate finger pointing in this thread is disconcerting. If anyone thinks it was one side or the other that got us in this mess, they're exasperating of the problem.

The Dems are certainly to blame for refusing to consider serious cuts to entitlement spending. The Tea Party is to blame to refusing to consider tax hikes. There's blame to go around. However, I chimed in to blast the Tea Party because people scoffed at the notion they are partially to blame for this mess.

FYI - The S&P cited the dysfunctional state of US politics as one of the reasons for the downgrade. What dysfunctional politics?

DustyTriceTeaPartyRacistSign-240x300.jpg

Oh, and another thing they cited was the steadfast refusal by some ... ahem ... to even consider raising revenues.

So what is the excuse for not doing so now?

Dysfunctional is blaming a minority for the majority's INCOMPETENCE while calling for a 'clean ' debt limit increase....man the hell up and do your damn job if you think tax increases or more cuts are needed.

Whiny ****es

How the Tea Party gets blamed for Moody's saying we didn't cut enough is a mystery wrapped in partisanship.

That's a little slice of what they're saying. They also noted the dysfunctional state of politics, the refusal to consider tax hikes, and the list goes on. Are you saying the TP has nothing to do with the dysfunctional state of politics or the refusal to consider tax hikes?

Archived