Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GNP: Man tries surgery on own hernia using butter knife

China

Man tries surgery on own hernia using butter knife

GLENDALE — A 63-year-old Glendale man was in stable condition Monday after he apparently attempted surgery on himself with a six-inch butter knife in an attempt to remove a protruding hernia from his stomach, police said.

The man, whose name wasn’t released, was taken just after 7:32 p.m. Sunday to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, where he was treated for his injury, according to Glendale police.

When police arrived at the man’s home on the 1000 block of Columbus Avenue, they saw the naked man lying outside on a lounge chair with what appeared to be the handle of a knife protruding from his stomach, Police Sgt. Tom Lorenz said.

As police waited for paramedics to arrive, Lorenz said the man pulled out the knife and shoved a cigarette he was smoking inside the open wound.

Click on the link for the full article

I'd read a while back that the local teaching hospital at UF has a program to do something similar.

Supposedly it's a plan for how to cut the cost of medical liability risks. If a patient has a need for a procedure that can be scheduled far in advance, like elective, cosmetic, surgery, then instead of performing the surgery, the teaching hospital will instruct the patient in how to perform surgery on himself. (The theory being that in such cases, the patient cannot later sue his doctor, because he is his own doctor.)

The program is called "suture self".

A classmate of my father's in medical school performed his own vasectomy on his lunch break in his medical office. I **** you not. He and his wife told my parents about it at a med school class reunion several years back.

I'm good friends with his son (he's just as frickin insane as his dad) and he's confirmed that story to me. I have no problem believing at all his dad did that. Unreal.

Ya know, I've had a hernia for a couple years and have been putting off getting the surgery as it really isn't painful at all. I can honestly say that self surgery has NEVER crossed my mind. I mean why not at least use a steak knife or something with a bit of sharpness?

Archived