Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

10:56PM Eastern, Sunday July 20, 1969

Corcaigh

I've been a little bothered by the timing of the final shuttle mission. I've actually thought about it a lot. It physically sickens me to know that, at least for now, kids are going to grow up without dreaming about being an astronaut. That sucks. Hard.

I've been a little bothered by the timing of the final shuttle mission. I've actually thought about it a lot. It physically sickens me to know that, at least for now, kids are going to grow up without dreaming about being an astronaut. That sucks. Hard.

Never even thought of that.

I remember it like yesterday, aged 5.

That's one of those things that I desperately wish I had been alive for. I can't even imagine. When I was a kid, I was all about space. If I was drawing, it was spaceships and astronauts. I had subscriptions to a few space magazines for kids, knew all the parts of the shuttle and what they did, and even knew -- by heart -- the entire process from launch to orbit. (I even got my drawing of Armstrong, reflected in Aldrin's visor -- that famous picture -- published in one of those magazines.)

Space inspired me like nothing ever had, or likely will. I don't know. I actually get a little emotional about this. I'll stop here. :)

---------- Post added July-20th-2011 at 10:03 PM ----------

It was kind of a big deal back then,of course if we had playstation or more than three channels.......

....it still would have been arguably the greatest human achievement to that point. And your parents would have sucked even more than the parents today, who don't turn off the consoles when it's time.

---------- Post added July-20th-2011 at 10:07 PM ----------

Oh, and Luna 15. Sorry 'bout your bad luck. :finger: :ols:

If you're depressed about our current space program, just know that we are gearing for bigger and better things. The space shuttle program (and apollo program) was an amazing achievement for all humans, but I'm glad we are hopefully looking to bigger and better things. The near future looks dull in terms of space exploration, but I have high hopes down the road.

My call if I had the power would be to take one fair-to middling sized defense program and one similar sized social program, eliminate them, and give their combined budget to NASA with a goal being manned travel between planets and subsequent manned landings and establishment of a lunar base (or alternative ET base location).

My favorite personal story about the landing (I was 15 and remember it well---I was a space travel fiend and sci-fi fan). My mother and aunt would argue with me that we were going to really land on the moon. They both had religious reasons why we wouldn't (their ideas about "if God had wanted us there...." (it never really made much sense to me) and I had lef the church at 13, loved science, and was devouring everything I could on space travel.

I had also been playing the drums since 12 and had cobbled together a floor tom-tom, a high-hat cymbal, and a decent snare. So I offered them a bet. I would work all summer for free (I was getting paid at the time) for mom's drive-in restaurant and aunt/uncle's body & fender auto-repair shop if I lost, and they would buy me a real drum set if I won. The bet was simply we would make a successful landing in the time frame NASA had set. I won. :cool:

Got a Pearl gold and black Tiger-Stripe kit with two riding toms, one floor tom, new matching snare, new high hat and two ride-mounted cymbals and one floor-standing cymbal (Paiste & Ziljdan), with mounted wood block and....wait for it...mounted cowbell. :D

There was a book put out about the landing during that time frame I still have it somewhere, wonder if it's worth anything?

I watched the landing on my sisters black and white in Ohio at 12 I was the only one up.

Just this morning, I was driving my 2.5 year old daughter to day care. I was listening to the news on the radio, and they were talking about the Space Shuttle landing. My daughter says, "What's a space shuttle?" I told her it's like an airplane that goes into outspace. "I wanna go on the space shuttle" she says. And I had the exact same thought you did.

That **** was so shot in an airplane hangar in Nevada. We were so desperate to win the space race that we rigged it.

Sure we can trust the government. Just ask any Native American.

LOL Michael Bay was only 5 or 6 when this happened... No way it was faked... Plus no explosions...

Archived