Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

YoutubeVideo: Man claims $300k house for $16

Cooked Crack

Without a title, can he actually get utilities? If he had the title, wouldn't he be responsible for any debt still owed? I find it very hard to believe that he can own a house for 16$ by simply paying the 16 and squatting for 3 years. Is it really that easy?

I've been following this issue loosely on a finance forum. My understanding is that he's actually pretty unlikely to succeed.

All it will take to end is claim is for whoever owns the house to say "get out" (or even, apparently, "you're welcome to stay"... adverse possession requires a lack of permission). He might have gotten away with it before it hit the media, but not now. Whatever bank owns this place after the foreclosure is going to assert their rights.

Also, he would, as I understand it, have to pay the property taxes and other fees, so while it would be a good deal, it's not the $16 the media is sloppily making it out to be.

I'd also note that he probably entered the house illegally, which could be a problem in other ways, if not for adverse possession.

Man may be able to claim a $300,000 abandoned home for a $16.00 filing fee under Texas Law is the thread I was talking about. There's a lot of good discussion in there, including links to the relevant statutes.

Yeah what about property taxes and the HOA fees.

More then likely he will have to pay the back taxes and HOA fees, but he still comes up with a steal of a deal, even after paying those debts. 300K house... and what he is doing is legal? Kudos to this gentleman, Id do the same thing.

That is awesome.

I don't really understand why the neighbors are mad. If anything, having an abandoned house next door is worse, right? At least he will probably take care of it I think. He seems responsible.

Archived