Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maryland Basketball (some football) recruiting news (Shaq, Layman Commits!)

Goingforburgundy

What a crazy situation. From what I've read, it seems like Allen really wanted to stay at the 1 because he thinks that's his ticket to the NBA. With Trimble coming in, he wasn't going to get that.  Guess you gotta say good luck to him and move on. From the outside, it seems like a sinking ship, and a real mess. I also read that none of the other guys who have left, or are rumored to leave, are surprises. Been watching Maryland sports most of my life, so this news had me a little disheartened. Here's some tweets that made me feel a little better about it. 

Evan Smotrycz @_es1
We couldn't be more excited about the direction our program is going. We have a great group of guys who want to work and do...

Evan Smotrycz @_es1  ·  16h
...something special here at Maryland. We are all behind Coach Turgeon. We are working hard to make sure Maryland is at the top of the...

Evan Smotrycz @_es1  ·  16h
...Big Ten next year. Thanks to all the fans for sticking with us - we are most definitely on the right track!

--------------

Jake Layman @JLayman10
Excited for whats to come next. Surrounded by a bunch of guys and a great staff that want to work hard to reach 1 common goal.

Jake Layman @JLayman10
-This program cares so much about all of the players and i know were going to have a great season coming up.
---------------

DMV Hoops @B1gDMV
@Dez32Wells It doesnt seem like any of these kids can deal with 1/4 of the adversity youve been through smh

Dez Wells @Dez32Wells
@B1gDMV last of a dying breed

Dez Wells @Dez32Wells
You not happy? Okay, well go get happy & tell me how that goes.

Dez Wells @Dez32Wells
"Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny." Stay strong & committed Terp Fans, Maryland Basketball will rise!

So we're looking at:

Trimble/?

Dez/Wiley

Layman/Nickens

Mitchell or Smot/Dodd/Graham

Cekovsky/Reed

I mean, it's not all that bad. Can't be worse than last year filled with dumb mistakes and close losses. 

It would be ideal to find a backup PG transfer that can come play right away because we're going to need one. It's that or rely on a walk-on. 

Reading up a little more, there are a lot of rumors out there about this. I've seen it mentioned several places (mostly comments under articles on various websites and on twitter, so take it for what it's worth)

Seth was tight with Faust. Both of these guys were a little bit selfish, it seems. Allen didn't like the idea of not having his role guaranteed, and also had some issues with Dez and Juan Dixon getting on him about not working hard enough. Also saw it mentioned that Allen and Wells had some sort of beef, which makes sense if you look at Dez's tweets above. Personally, both Allen and Faust would drive me insane with constantly jacking up bad shots at the weirdest and worst times. It did work out a few times though. They both flashed promise (particularly Allen more and more), but were still wildly inconsistent. To me, Faust will be missed for his defensive play mostly. 

Also, really hoping Mitchell stays, but the signs seem pretty ominous. Not sure what will happen without him. I think that means Damonte Dodd and Smotrycz would be our big men by default. That's kind of terrifying. As for transfers to replace Allen, I'm hoping they get K.C. Ross-Miller from new Mexico state solely for his hyphenated last name. The Terps always are better when they have at least one of those on the team.

I liked this little article on what losing Allen means. Hopefully, Trimble and the other new guys pan out quickly and the Terps might actually be better off. Hopefully...

http://terrapinstationmd.com/2014/05/03/seth-allen-terps-lost-gained-can-recover/

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude here.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Transfers-Could-Help-Fix-Terps-Culture-28445318

Transfers Could Help Fix Terps' Culture

When the first three players left, there was a silver lining. The idea that the losses of Faust, Peters and Cleare could be addition by subtraction was echoed by fans and media alike. Even the national media remained optimistic about Maryland’s prospects for next basketball season.

The chemistry, they said, would be better.

Allen's announcement has had a different tone. He wasn’t viewed as an enigma like Faust or a raw talent like Peters, and although Cleare was well liked, he never showed anything resembling the flashes of potential that Allen had shown.

Allen was not only going to be a starter next year, but perhaps the biggest offensive weapon on the team. I think the perception that Allen had no reason to transfer is what's bothered observers most. Why would he go?

But perception can be misleading. During the season, I was told that Mark Turgeon had a meeting with one of his players and his family, with the message that the player had to get his act together. My first guess was wrong. So was my second. I was surprised to find out that it was Allen.

Allen, by most accounts, is a good kid from a Christian high school in Virginia, with solid parental guidance. He didn’t have a reputation going into Maryland as a knucklehead, but he also wasn’t regarded as a natural leader or someone who lives and breathes basketball.

To the extent that Allen's decision makes any sense at all, VT seems like a decent choice for him.  He is from Virginia, can't transfer to a B1G school, and VT certainly will make room for him.  

Breaking: Charles Mitchell to Transfer from Maryland

Sophomore Charles Mitchell has been released from his scholarship and will transfer from Maryland, multiple sources told InsideMDSports.com.

Mitchell, a 6-foot-7, 260-pound forward, averaged 6.5 points and 6.3 rebounds in 18.8 minutes per game last season. He'd been considering leaving since the latter stages of Maryland's season, and solidified his decision -- with agreement from Maryland's staff -- within the past month, per sources close to Mitchell.

Mitchell is the fifth player to leave Maryland this off-season, following Nick Faust, Roddy Peters, Seth Allen and Shaquille Cleare. His departure leaves the Terps with three open scholarships; they continue to pursue transfers Richaud Pack, Robert Carter, Terry Henderson and Andrew White.

Mitchell was part of Turgeon's first recruiting class at Maryland in 2012. Rated the No. 100 player in the 247Sports Composite, he chose the Terps over Tennessee -- believed to be a potential destination again -- along with Florida State and Georgia.

With Mitchell and Cleare departing, rising sophomore Damonte Dodd and incoming freshmen Trayvon Reed and Michal Cekovsky will be relied upon for quality minutes next season.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Sophomore-Forward-Charles-Mitchell-to-Transfer-from-Maryland-28751957

Apparently Mitchell and his sister and Towson are both leaving to go home and be with their ill grandmother.

Maryland Signs Richaud Pack, Michal Cekovsky

Maryland has added a commitment from North Carolina A&T transfer Richaud Pack and signed touted European big man Michal Cekovsky.

In search of immediate backcourt help, Mark Turgeon secured a commitment from North Carolina A&T transfer Pack, a 6-foot-3 senior who averaged 17 points, 4.5 rebounds and 1.6 assists last season and will eligible to play in the upcoming season. The Detroit native, who began his career at Florida International, chose Maryland over Texas A&M and TCU, where he had hometown connections to a member of the coaching staff.

Cekovsky, a 7-foot-, 220-pound freshman-to-be, is the No. 6 power forward and 37th-rated player overall in 247Sports 2014 rankings. He verbally committed to Maryland on April 7 and made his commitment official by signing with the Terps today.

Following the off-season departures of guards Seth Allen and Roddy Peters and relying heavily incoming freshman Melo Trimble, Maryland was in dire need of reinforcements in the backcourt. The Terps were in contact with two other grad transfers, Ian Chiles of IUPUI and Hawaii's Keith Shamburger. But Chiles went with family connections at Tennessee and Maryland passed on Shamburger, who then settled on Missouri.

A mature student-athlete planning a career in international business, Pack should bring maturity and stability to a freshmen-dominated group of guards next season.

“One of those rare kids that comes through and loves basketball,” Pack’s high school coach, Jose Andrades,recently told The Washington Post. “When things are going bad, he rallies the troops. Let’s get this done. Defensively, offensively. He did that at a young age.”

After signing Pack and Cekovsky and announcing the departure of sophomore Charles Mitchell, Maryland has one open scholarship remaining. Turgeon continues to pursue numerous rising seniors as well as a few coveted undergrad transfers, most notably Georgia Tech big man Robert Carter and guards Terry Henderson (WVU) and Andrew White (Kansas).

Stay tuned ...

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Maryland-Signs-Richaud-Pack-Michal-Cekovsky-28693030

I thought Mitchell was a Turg recruit.

Well, his teams haven't made the tourney. Now he's getting mostly new guys. So, we'll see what happens. You might see a lot of Melo, Dez, Wiley on the court at the same time sets next year.

He was a Turg recruit. I had to read that a couple of times, but what was meant was that the old players from Gary's days had a negative affect on the new guys. Those guys would have been Pe'Shon and Padgett. It's hard to know what really happened. But going from one coach to another, it isn't abnormal to have the old guys not liking the new coach. I think getting kicked off the bench last year was about a lot more than what happened that night.

A whole new group of people going to a whole new conference. It's hard to have very high expectation, even with the amount of talent coming in.

This is from another board and take it with a grain of salt but....

Was just told again this morning (at the Walk for the Cure) that the B1G is eyeing 16 schools. The choices as of right now, in order, are UVA, UNC, UConn, GT, Kansas.

Nothing gets done until Maryland/ACC is settled. 

New network TV contract will be around $30 million/year.

B1G wants to add semi-final games, hence the targeted 16 members.

B1G won't go above 16 unless it means the ACC and/or Big12 implode so that the playoff money and bowl money (B1G would add more big time bowls if it has more members) gets cut in fewer slices.

B1G is very busy integrating Maryland and Rutgers.

Association with Ivy schools and Johns Hopkins is because: 1)B1G schools want to be associated with top academic research schools 2) makes the B1G even more attractive to the ACC targets by having the association for academic research 3) helps give the B1G even more of an east coast presence (think about the BigEast basketball agreement).

The goal is to be at 16 for the start of the 2017 academic year.

B1G would like to do more partnering with the PAC.

B1G is aware of the rumors that the SEC is trying to form alliances with the ACC and/or Big12 (ESPN is behind this)

West Virginia transfer Terry Henderson (@t_henderson15) told ESPN he intends to take visits to UCLA, Maryland, Wake Forest and N.C. State.

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt  

Missed this last night, but Florida RB Deltron Sands (@LegendarySands4) committed to the Terps. Second member of their class of 2015.

Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike 

#Terps commit Deltron Sands comes from a great program, he's a quick kid and a good addition for #Maryland. Edsall recruits school well.

This is from another board and take it with a grain of salt but....

Was just told again this morning (at the Walk for the Cure) that the B1G is eyeing 16 schools. The choices as of right now, in order, are UVA, UNC, UConn, GT, Kansas.

Baring a major change in the landscape of the NCAA, neither UVA or UNC is leaving the ACC. UVA is tied at the hip with Virginia Tech. The Virginia legislature had tied UVA and VT together back when they pushed the ACC into accepting Virginia Tech over Syracuse 10 years ago. In this latest expansion, the attractiveness of a school is based purely on TV markets. Having to invite 2 schools that share the same TV markets, which are also small markets, is a deterrent to inviting those schools. If somehow those schools can be separated, then 1 of the schools could leave for another conference. But based on what happened 10 years ago, that just seems unlikely.

As for UNC, there is no way they leave the ACC unless the ACC has collapsed. They are the backbone of the ACC. The ACC revolves around UNC and Duke. No other conference will cater to them like the ACC does. Not to mention, John Swofford is a UNC alum. So he would let his alma matter leave and thereby essentially crumble the conference he runs. That just isn't going to happen.

I do believe that the Maryland vs. ACC decision will go a long way into determining what happens with other ACC schools leaving. The ACC is doing all they can to prevent schools from leaving. They know they are in a bad position football wise, and they are doing all they can to keep their invite to the party. I really think that Florida State and Clemson should get out as soon as they can because ACC football will either be the conference left out of the big 4 conference party, or will be too weak for those schools to compete for selection in the title games.

Archived