Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maryland Basketball (some football) recruiting news (Shaq, Layman Commits!)

Goingforburgundy

I'll add that in football, Maryland has won the ACC 9 times.  That might not seem like alot, but its the 3rd most behind Clemson (13) and Florida State (12).

Add to the fact that even before MD intended to go to the Big 10, they failed to pair up Maryland with Viriginia in basketball as a protected rivalry.  They paired us with former Big East member Pittsburgh.  Pittsburgh?  So Va Tech is more of a rival to UVA than us?  Va Tech should have been paired with Pitt.  More slaps to the face by the ACC.

All of this ACC bias talk is just laughable!  Let it go already...  It is no wonder that fans of other teams laugh at us with fans always whinning so much.

To be fair, so is all the 'I wish we were still a member of the ACC' talk...

To be fair, so is all the 'I wish we were still a member of the ACC' talk...

I could really care less what conference we are in as long as it is a major power conference.  I do think that they should rotate the conference tourney out of North Carlolina every few years. 

THE ACC AND MARYLAND'S LAWSUIT IS GETTING NASTY

The University of Maryland officially joins the Big Ten at the end of June, but the Terrapins stormy divorce from the ACC has the potential to be really entertaining for those of us who paid scads of attention to realignment and felt as if only part of the story trickled out. It's no coincidence that potential lawsuits involving Big 12 and Big East schools all died on the vine and ended in quiet out-of-court exit fee settlements. When it comes to realignment there are very few clean hands. 
The result?

Everyone settles. 

Only one lawsuit is currently pending. 

But, man oh man, is it a doozy.  

On Friday came news that Maryland had sent detailed subpoenas to ten ACC schools, seeking information about their role in realignment. But that wasn't all, Maryland also subpoenaed ESPN, alleging, once more, that ESPN drove the ACC's realignment decisions. You probably haven't heard much about this lawsuit because ESPN doesn't write much about ESPN being involved in a lawsuit.

But back in January, when Maryland filed a $156.8 million counterclaim against the ACC, the school alleged the ACC's desire to expand was driven "in large part on counsel and direction that the conference received from ESPN." ESPN denied the allegation then, but now Maryland has stepped up the accusation and demanded documents consisting of "all communication with ESPN relating to the ACC’s broadcast rights, strategy meetings involving the integration of Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame into the league, and contact with any Big Ten members about joining the ACC."

Oh, this could get really good.

A messy college divorce and a trial about that messy college divorce would be gold. 

That's why it's in the best interests of both Maryland and the ACC to settle this lawsuit right now. Only, here's the deal, the ACC desperately needs to prove that its $52 million exit fee is valid. Why? Because there are other ACC schools that might leap at the opportunity to leave if that exit fee isn't as robust as we've been led to believe it is. If, for instance, the ACC came back to Maryland and said, "Okay, we'll take $26 million," this case would go away. But the ACC can't do that. It needs to prove that its willing to fight to keep schools in the conference and it needs to prove that the $52 million is enforeceable. 

lots more at http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/the-acc-and-marylands-lawsuit-is-getting-nasty.php

Personally, I think the doomsday scenario for the ACC is more than a 50/50 possibility. If Maryland wins this in either getting the buyout knocked down to the 26Mil and/or wins their case for much more. The you'll see other conferences tear them apart.

lots more at http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/the-acc-and-marylands-lawsuit-is-getting-nasty.php

Personally, I think the doomsday scenario for the ACC is more than a 50/50 possibility. If Maryland wins this in either getting the buyout knocked down to the 26Mil and/or wins their case for much more. The you'll see other conferences tear them apart.

I seriously doubt it. The league implemented the grant of rights last year, and while Clay Travis apparently doubts their effectiveness, a lot of lawyers do not. The case is probably going to get settled and either way, the ACC is going to be fine. What the conferences look like later this year is what they will look like for a while, IMO. The musical chairs have settled. 

And I do not really understand what bearing ESPN's role has in all of this. I am pretty sure they were involved in some way, but I don't know why that matters in this court case.   

And by the way, I hate Clay Travis. I feel dirty that I just clicked on an article written by him.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/3/19/5522484/jesse-aniebonam-maryland-football-film-review

The Film Room: A closer look at OLB commit Jesse Aniebonam

The Recruit: Jesse Aniebonam

High School: Our Lady of Good Counsel, Olney, Md.

Position: Defensive end in high school, OLB at Maryland

247sports composite: Four stars, eighth-best strong-side defensive end, second-best player in Maryland

Measurables: 6-foot-4, 235 pounds. His listed 40 time (4.53) and vertical (43 inches) are super for a lineman. His bench (315) isn't eye-popping for a guy his size but his squat (505) and clean (315) show us that he does not have any core strength issues. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2014/04/03/alyssa-thomas-continues-to-shatter-terps-records-and-no-one-can-keep-track/

Alyssa Thomas continues to shatter Terps records and no one can keep track

When news of her star player’s latest award reached Maryland Coach Brenda Frese, there was no celebratory phone call or congratulatory text message. It happened the first time, when forward Alyssa Thomas earned all-American honors during her sophomore season. It even happened last season, when Thomas repeated the honor. But for the third time?

Awesome. Cool. Yawn. What else is new?

“This year there was no call from me,” Frese said Thursday. “It was automatic, because she knows.”

Thomas continues to shred her way through the record book for a Terrapins team that is headed to its first Final Four in eight years, largely thanks to the efforts of its senior workhorse. Already this season, Thomas has become the school’s all-time leading scorer, regardless of gender, and crushed the women’s record for both field goal attempts, double-doubles and free throws made. She currently stands one rebound and four made field goals away from setting new records in those categories, too, overtaking Crystal Langhorne in both.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2014/04/05/final-four-a-great-experience-for-terps-freshmen/

Final Four ‘a great experience’ for Terps freshmen

NASHVILLE–Last year at this time, Lexie Brown, Brionna Jones and Shatori Walker-Kimbrough had completed their high school basketball careers and were thinking ahead to what was in store for them as freshmen at Maryland. Thanks to major contributions from all three, the Terrapins now are among the last four teams remaining in the NCAA tournament.

Brown and Jones became starters this season, and Walker-Kimbrough is one of the first players off the bench. The trio comprises one of Coach Brenda Frese’s most highly regarded recruiting classes, and they have Maryland well positioned for the future, particularly considering its move to the Big Ten next season.

But first there’s much left to accomplish in the Terrapins’ first Final Four appearance since 2006, when it won the national championship.

“It is a great experience, not only as my first year, but being here with these girls,” said Walker-Kimbrough, who is third on the team in scoring.

“It’s been a phenomenal experience, and we’re not done.”

Hats off to Coach B and her team. I believe she will win more titles at Maryland as she keeps getting better and better players. 

Also, read that the mens team got a 7 foot recruit from Serbia named Michal Čekovský today.

Jeff Ermann ‏@insidemdsports 

Breaking news from http://InsideMDSports.com : Heralded 2014 7-footer Michal Cekovsky has committed to the #Terps:

Jeff Ermann @insidemdsports · The addition of Michal Cekovsky is a huge one for Maryland, whose frontcourt was an issue this season. Could conceivably come in and start.

Jeff Borzello @jeffborzello · Nice scoop by @insidemdsports. Michal Cekovsky was one of the best 2014 guys left on the board. Inside-outside threat. Big pick up for Terps

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2014/04/07/international-center-michal-cekovsky-commits-to-the-terps/

International center Michal Cekovsky commits to the Terps

The Maryland men’s basketball team scored a massive interior boon Monday afternoon, when 7-foot international center Michal Cekovsky committed to the Terrapins for their class of 2014, an individual with knowledge of the situation confirmed.

An inside-out threat and one of the highest-rated available players this spring, Cekovsky reportedly had offers from Arizona and Louisville, according to 247sports.com, which rated him as a four-star prospect and the sixth-best power forward in his recruiting class.

A native of Slovakia, Cekovsky spent this past season with Canarias Academy in Spain and received several international visits from assistant coach Dustin Clark, and at least one from Coach Mark Turgeon.

He joins Trayvon Reed as the second 7-footer in Maryland’s incoming recruiting class, which currently ranks 14th nationally according to ESPN.com but is almost certain to receive a boost in the wake of this latest news.

Maryland backs out of the BB&T Classic. Figured this day would eventually come. Looks like they are going into Georgetown's isolationist model. 

Sucks for a city like DC with a rich basketball tradition.

Wish DC would stop being a bunch of pussies and all play each other like the Big 5 in Philadelphia. 

Maryland backs out of the BB&T Classic. Figured this day would eventually come. Looks like they are going into Georgetown's isolationist model. 

Sucks for a city like DC with a rich basketball tradition.

Wish DC would stop being a bunch of pussies and all play each other like the Big 5 in Philadelphia. 

They hung in it for a long time. There does need to a D.C. and close surrounding tourney. I'd hold it in Bmore though. Lots of recruits up there. Towson could play too. I'm serious.

I think a lot of these early season things will be restructures. I hope the Big Ten dumps the ACC and maybe does one with another conference for a few years. Let the ACC/SEC do one.

Archived