Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maryland Basketball (some football) recruiting news (Shaq, Layman Commits!)

Goingforburgundy

The unfortunate news is that Maryland's 2013 recruiting class was utterly useless now. Good thing they're making up for it

This isn't really going to crush the #Terps. Cleare was largely irrelevant last year, as was Peters. Faust wasn't effiicient...

Those close to Roddy Peters believe he's better suited somewhere away from home/distractions. Also facing logjam w/Melo Trimble arriving.

Cleare has underachieved and was benched. Peters has the worst shot and almost the worst decision making for a PG. Faust is the one I don't like leaving. If he could find a better role, he could be more efficient.

I basically agree, but I don't like the overall optics of this.  Three guys TURGEON just recruited are leaving now.  Well, two and a guy in Nick Faust that he begged to stay and has said was so important to his program.  I don't know... there's smoke.

I basically agree, but I don't like the overall optics of this.  Three guys TURGEON just recruited are leaving now.  Well, two and a guy in Nick Faust that he begged to stay and has said was so important to his program.  I don't know... there's smoke.

Faust was recruited by Gary.

But no one should make this out to be not a big deal. This is a HUGE deal and a bad look for Turgeon.

I do not think it is a big deal at all.  The writing was on the wall with the new players coming in and the fact that he also had to free up an additional spot for the new 7' recruit. 

Faust was recruited by Gary.

But no one should make this out to be not a big deal. This is a HUGE deal and a bad look for Turgeon.

I think I said that.  But keeping Faust was Turgeon's number one priority when he came aboard three years ago.

I do not think it is a big deal at all.  The writing was on the wall with the new players coming in and the fact that he also had to free up an additional spot for the new 7' recruit. 

You don't think its a big deal that in the last two years, his two most prized recruits have now left?  At the very least, he made a big mistake in evaluating them on the recruiting trail.

Meh, not a big deal, just trimming the fat. It's only a bad look on Turgeon if he can't win next year. If he wins, no one will care about those guys leaving. Simple as that

so a coach recruits players, highly touted players, and they leave 1-2 years later and you dont think its a big deal? You can say what you want about the play of these guys, but players leaving a program this fast in their stints in college reflects poorly on the coach. Especially doing it all at once. If I am a parent, and my son is being recruited by Turgeon and I see this track record, I would consider other options.

I think I said that.  But keeping Faust was Turgeon's number one priority when he came aboard three years ago.

apologies, you did and I misread

You don't think its a big deal that in the last two years, his two most prized recruits have now left?  At the very least, he made a big mistake in evaluating them on the recruiting trail.

bingo

Meh, not a big deal, just trimming the fat. It's only a bad look on Turgeon if he can't win next year. If he wins, no one will care about those guys leaving. Simple as that

Agreed.  If he wins next year he is good if not then he is probably gone. He knows this and is putting the best players he has on the court. 

http://www.nbadraft.net/derby-festival-classic-practice-notes

Derby Festival Classic: Practice Notes

While most of the nation’s eyes are on the Jordan Brand Classic this weekend, many of the top 50 high school seniors in America will be participating in the Derby Festival Classic in Louisville, Kentucky. Here are some of the players who stood out on the first day of practice:

Dion Wiley SG 6’4 195: Maryland

Wiley has great size for a guard and showed tremendous elevation on his jump shot. With three of his teammates yet to arrive in Louisville Wiley’s team was forced to scrimmage 3 on 3 and he was virtually unguardable. Needing very little space to get his shot off and also showing a consistent step back Wiley showed why he is one of the top shooters in the class. For a Maryland offense that struggled this season Wiley will be a breath of fresh air as someone who can fill it up from all over the court.

^ Hoping for big things from Wiley.  Trimble has gotten most of the focus, but Wiley is just as talented offensively.  Hopefully Reed and Cevoksy can add some much needed presence under the rim.

Jared Nickens is another SG and the final piece to the Class of 2014.

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/blue-chip/top-10-shooters-in-2014-042414

Top 10 Shooters in 2014

6. Romelo Trimble -- When Mark Turgeon and Maryland reeled in Romelo Trimble, he immediately added one of the best shooters in the 2014 class. Trimble shot in the mid-40'sfrom three during his senior season at Arlington (Va.) Bishop O'Connell. While he's known as a shooter, Trimble is more than just that. He's an equipped scorer that can make mid-range shots and score at the rim. 

7. Jared Nickens -- A long, wiry wing prospect out of Westtown (Pa.) High, Nickens is a terrific long-range threat. His shot is effortless and much like the rest of the guys on this list, Nickens is able to step well away from the stripe and making jump shots with consistency. I saw Nickens, pump in six threes in a game during his senior season and he made it look easy. Nickens will also play his college basketball at Maryland

The program is in freefall, barring miraculous seasons from the incoming noobs.  

Turgeon apparently doesn't feel that it might warrant some kind of public statement beyond the standard boilerplate, when half your program decides to transfer or take other jobs within a few months of each other... and in favor of directionally equivalent opportunities elsewhere.

I am hearing that the departures may not be over, from the same friends who nailed this one in advance.  Ack.

Dez Wells' work on instagram is some of the funniest I have seen.  Too bad it's also spot on.

Archived