Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maryland Basketball (some football) recruiting news (Shaq, Layman Commits!)

Goingforburgundy

Actually there is no reason to believe that either UNC/NCST or UVA/VT would have to be "package deals."

The goal in those two states is not to force two schools into the same conference, but rather to make sure each school has a stable and successful conference alignment.  VT got into the ACC because the Big East was becoming the Big Least, and Mark Warner wasn't about to let VT go down with that decade-long shipwreck.  Had VT received an invitation to the SEC at that time, I sincerely doubt Warner would have said no to that move.

Were realignment to start up again, stability would once again be assured in the state of Virginia by letting VT go to the SEC while UVA goes to the B1G.  Of course that assumes those two invitations would be forthcoming at roughly the same time, so neither school would remain in the target conference.

In North Carolina, UNC certainly would be attractive to the B1G... but NCST to the SEC is a harder sell.  They only have two slots to fill if they wish to get to 16 teams, and certainly there are more than two potential SEC invitees in the southeastern US.  Would NCST be in the top two?  Not so sure about that.

Maryland women's lacrosse champions!!!!!!!!!!

Mens had a great run. Same with the Baseball team. Not enough love for the lesser known sports.

Actually there is no reason to believe that either UNC/NCST or UVA/VT would have to be "package deals."

The goal in those two states is not to force two schools into the same conference, but rather to make sure each school has a stable and successful conference alignment.  VT got into the ACC because the Big East was becoming the Big Least, and Mark Warner wasn't about to let VT go down with that decade-long shipwreck.  Had VT received an invitation to the SEC at that time, I sincerely doubt Warner would have said no to that move.

Were realignment to start up again, stability would once again be assured in the state of Virginia by letting VT go to the SEC while UVA goes to the B1G.  Of course that assumes those two invitations would be forthcoming at roughly the same time, so neither school would remain in the target conference.

In North Carolina, UNC certainly would be attractive to the B1G... but NCST to the SEC is a harder sell.  They only have two slots to fill if they wish to get to 16 teams, and certainly there are more than two potential SEC invitees in the southeastern US.  Would NCST be in the top two?  Not so sure about that.

When the B1G was looking at UNC before, some state official in Raleigh said it would be both or none. That is why you believe it. State institutions do have those elected officials over them. It also does have to do with needing a conference for both. If you had the SEC wanting one and the B1G wanting the other in VA. That's probably ok. Its leaving one out in the lurch that won't be allowed.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/5/28/5489734/ellis-mckennie-recruiting-maryland-football-commits

Maryland football recruiting: Three-star OL Ellis McKennie commits to the Terps

Local prospect Ellis McKennie will join the Terrapins' offensive line in 2015 after accepting Maryland's offer. The offensive guard announced his collegiate choice onTwitter Wednesday evening.

The 6'3", 285-pound guard is considered a three-star player and the ninth-best prospect in the state of Maryland, according to 247sports composite. He used his power in the trenches to help the McDonogh School - ranked No. 2 in the state and home to fellow Maryland target Wyatt Cook - cruise to an undefeated season last year.

McKennie used that same strength as a shot put competitor the last two years on McDonogh's track and field team. He placed first in the 12-pound shot put event of the MIAA/IAAM Championship during his sophomore year on junior varsity, and fifth in the same event last season at his first meet.

McKennie joins four-star offensive lineman E.J. Donahue and three-star running back Deltron Sands (who committed just days before) as members of Maryland's Class of 2015.

When the B1G was looking at UNC before, some state official in Raleigh said it would be both or none. That is why you believe it. State institutions do have those elected officials over them. 

Yeah, but I'm not sold on the word of "some state official" when everyone knows nothing will be moving until MD/ACC is settled.  When the ACC is raided again, and the NC governor's office is staring at the option of either letting its best state school upgrade to the B1G or forcibly lashing both of its major state schools to the deck of what is set to become the next Edmund Fitzgerald conference, I suspect we'll see how willing the governor's office truly is to take the risk of double-barrel failure.  

At that point, I imagine a friendly postcard from the B1G featuring the UConn logo on the front and a light blue question mark on the back is about all it will take.  

Yeah, but I'm not sold on the word of "some state official" when everyone knows nothing will be moving until MD/ACC is settled.  When the ACC is raided again, and the NC governor's office is staring at the option of either letting its best state school upgrade to the B1G or forcibly lashing both of its major state schools to the deck of what is set to become the next Edmund Fitzgerald conference, I suspect we'll see how willing the governor's office truly is to take the risk of double-barrel failure.  

At that point, I imagine a friendly postcard from the B1G featuring the UConn logo on the front and a light blue question mark on the back is about all it will take.  

We're not going to agree here. UNC and NCST will be part of a different conference together at some point. Joining a new one together, an old one together...or the unlikely (We both found different homes at the same time, so we'll make sure to schedule each other every year)

One will not be left with nothing when the ACC dies.

We're not going to agree here. UNC and NCST will be part of a different conference together at some point. Joining a new one together, an old one together...or the unlikely (We both found different homes at the same time, so we'll make sure to schedule each other every year)

One will not be left with nothing when the ACC dies.

And nobody is arguing otherwise.  My point was, and remains, that it is entirely plausible to see the two schools in different conferences once the dust settles, as the notion of the "package deal" is hardly chiseled in stone.  Happy to see that we now appear to agree on that.

Now, the probability of each different outcome would be a different discussion.  One for which, last I checked, nobody in Vegas is publishing odds.   ;)

Looks like 4-star Kareem Ali has taken UF out of consideration. Had MD and UF at the top. Do the math

AWhite @ayeechico

Maryland visit went great ! ... Can't even lie... way better than I even expected it to be

Ryan Snyder @RivalsSnyder

Bishop McNamara DB Ashton White is calling #Maryland his leader after today's visit. He'll visit #Virginia next wkend, #NotreDame June 20-22

West Virginia transfer Terry Henderson (t_henderson15) told ESPN he will visit Maryland this weekend and NC State on June 20.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Breaking-Robert-Carter-Jr-Commits-to-Terps-28994602

Breaking: Robert Carter Jr. Commits to Terps

Carter, a 6-foot-8, 247-pound power forward, committed to the Terps shortly after completing his official visit in College Park on Thursday. The former Top-25 high school prospect, who averaged more than 11 points and eight rebounds per game last season as a sophomore, will sit out next season per NCAA transfer rules and become eligible for the 2015-2016 season.

"He thought the world of Mark Turgeon after getting the chance to sit down with him," Carter's former AAU coach, Winfred Jordan, told IMS. "He's got a former high school and AAU teammate there in Trayvon Reed, so I think that helped him, having someone who would be there going to war with him."

Carter had also visited St. John's and South Carolina, and was considering taking a trip to Kansas. But after spending a couple of days at Maryland, he verbally committed to the Terps.

Turgeon has "really been recruiting me and talking about different ways to make [my goals] happen," Cartertold InsideMDSports.com last week. "I like that. I need somebody who's going to be honest with me and tell me the truth."

Maryland recruited Carter heavily heading into his senior year at Shiloh High in Snellville, Ga., but lost out to the home-state Yellow Jackets. This time, the Terps got their man, adding to the fold a proven double-double threat who has two years of eligibility remaining. 

Jeff Ermann ‏@insidemdsports  

#Terps are poised for a monster frontline in 15-16 with Robert Carter, Trayvon Reed and Michael Cekovsky. Carter a proven double-double guy.

Just talked to Robert Carter. Says Terps will be in position to win Big Ten and challenge for an NCAA title in 2015-16.Said he liked SJU too

Yeah, recruiting news is great, but results on the court matter more. I'm really intrigued by this almost complete turnover in the team. You would have to think it's going to produce great results or be a complete disaster. There is too much talent to be on the NIT bubble again and again. So will this work, or will this be a massive disaster with 5 more transfers next year.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/6/8/5791514/ty-johnson-maryland-recruiting-commits

Maryland football recruiting: Local star Ty Johnson commits to the Terps

Maryland has picked up their second commit of the weekend (hooray for camp season!), as Cumberland (Md.) Fort Hill High School athlete Ty Johnson committed to the Terps after receiving an offer at this weekend's camp, as first reported by Terrapin Times. Johnson joins West Virginia QB Gage Shaffer as the Terps' two commitments this weekend.

Johnson, like Shaffer, is a cool story -- a local high school star in Western Maryland, he had trouble getting coaches to check him out due to the relative sparsity of FBS talent in the area. A speedster who plays just about every skill position on the field, Johnson helped lead Fort Hill to a state championship, but still found himself without even a profile on any of the four major recruiting sites.

Johnson is listed at 5'10" and 182 pounds. He averaged 17.4 yards per carry last season on72 rushes, scoring 16 touchdowns and averaging 22.1 yards per catch on 15 receptions. Defensively, he recorded 50 tackles with 10 interceptions. He likely projects as a cornerback at the next level, but certainly has the speed to play running back or wideout if the Terps need help there.

Let's take a look at that sweet, sweet highlight tape:

Archived