Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maryland Basketball (some football) recruiting news (Shaq, Layman Commits!)

Goingforburgundy

What a crappy year altogether.

What bothers me is the lack of development from certain guys. 

- Shaq Cleare is a bust.  He is an oaf with no athletic moves and has horrible hands.  Our big men as a whole are wack.  Charles Mitchell is the best out of all them. but he's slightly undersized and plays out of control.  Smotrycz is soft. His strength is his shot, and even that is not consistent. He's a guard playing forward. He gets dominated. He better step it up next year. Dodd, Graham, Mitchell, and incoming freshman Reed. Can they make it work? I pray. 

- There is no PG on this team.  And we have three more highly touted guards coming in next year (Jared Nickens, Dion Wiley, and Romelo Trimble).  None of them are a pure PG.  Trimble is the closest.  Can Roddy Peters develop into a good PG?  I've seen spurts.  He is a great driver, but his shot is questionable and he hasn't really run the offense.  Seth Allen has been doing the best he can.  Dez Wells is all over the place.  He should be playing the 2 and 3 sometimes, never the 1.  And he's been forced to play that sometimes.

Finally, Jake Layman. He needs to step up. He can be such a good player. But he needs to make that shot sharp and work on his driving skills. I'm not going to mention Nick Faust because frankly I think he's a bad player who is ****y and plays around too much.

I truly believe this team has a ton of talent. Can Turgeon mold them and coach them up? Remains to be seen.

"Love and care from the ACC"?  :lol:

Are you sure you follow the ACC?  

Seriously, The ACC treated Maryland like its retarded child from an era when you locked those kids away. Kevin S. also said that he understands what this is happening and really its about mourning and ACC that is long going. The Big Ten offers the school so much more than just athletics that they weren't getting by being part of the ACC. Organized collaboration and the opportunity to be the Big Ten's way to federal support for various programs and initiatives. 

Who knows? When this buyout thing is settled and most likely much much lower. You'll see other schools leave as well. Either to join other conferences or to create a new one. Maybe the ECC will be born with schools plucked from the conferences up and down the coast who all play Football. 

The difference is Maryland left after 40 years of love and care from the ACC. Maryland had so much significant history with the ACC that seeing them in the Big 10 just seems weird.

Only school in the league to win a national championship in football and basketball. 2nd most titles in the league in all sports behind only UNC. But MD has been treated like second class citizens for about 10+ years now. Hardly love and care. Instead of thanking them for their contributions to the league and settling on a decent exit fee, the ACC decided to stick it to us and try and make an example of them. Other teams have left other leagues without going through the BS. The ACC has been raiding other leagues for years and are now hypocrites for it. Add to the fact that it took them little to no time to replace them with Louisville, shows they don't care about anything but money, the same thing MD gets blamed for. Screw them and their pansy ass basketball centric league.

Want to add that in football, Maryland has won the ACC 9 times.  That might not seem like alot, but its the 3rd most behind Clemson (13) and Florida State (12).

Add to the fact that even before MD intended to go to the Big 10, they failed to pair up Maryland with Viriginia in basketball as a protected rivalry.  They paired us with former Big East member Pittsburgh.  Pittsburgh?  So Va Tech is more of a rival to UVA than us?  Va Tech should have been paired with Pitt.  More slaps to the face by the ACC.

The ACC definitely does show a lot of love and care.

Love for Carolina schools.

Care for Carolina schools.  

Maryland will be an outsider in the B1G, at least for a while.  But that beats permanent outsider status in a conference it co-founded and stuck with for 60 years. And with a lower payout, no real conference TV network, inferior academic network, and the same Greensboro-centric mindset?  Versus a better scene in all these respects in the B1G?

Screw it.  Goodbye.

Unwavering fealty to a warped notion of "tradition" or "history" tends not to yield particularly desirable results in major college sports.  Among many other things, it saddled us with the craptacular BCS system in lieu of the bona fide D1 playoff that was overdue even back in the 90s.  Applied to conference alignment, the general notion is every bit as ill conceived.  When it comes to pining for a once-cozy conference that, in its original form, is long dead and will never come back, even an ACC ref watching a Duke defensive set will call that a flop.

But what will Maryland do without all that love and care?  I don't know.  Something different and in no way worse overall than before, I guess.

ACC can see what's happening and now wants to cut a deal with the Barclays Center in Brooklyn to host their tourney for a few years. Imagining they have a few northern schools already screaming at Swofford for protecting the school he attended and their neighbors for too long. #ACCya. Loved the conference up until the early 00's and then it became bloated and sick.

BBW_unc_cover030314.jpg

If this were Georgia Tech or UVA or Maryland. They'd be banned from any postseason play for awhile by the ACC. Bank on it.

As an Alumni and Terrapin Club member, I am very happy about the move. People always like to romanticize ACC basketball and the Terps glory years. The truth is, the conference was never the same as soon as they got rid of the home and homes. Things became unbalanced, rivalries never fully developed and the product suffered. I love the ACC of my college days, but that ACC died a long time ago. Whether it is true or not, there is definitely an feeling of Carolina-centric prejudice when decisions are being made by the ACC. I am happy to leave the ACC. I don't need to a conference that will give Maryland special treatment, I want Maryland to go to a conference that will give them fair and equitable treatment...and that conference is the B1G.

The way that MD has been playing it really does not matter...and no the ACC has not been out to get them, they do that just fine on their own.  MD had the talent to make the NCAA this year but they just did not have the heart.  How many times can you fail in big situations...

Wait til you're playing Ohio State and Michigan.

While I understand your point (and will agree next year) that is not what I'm referring to. I don't mean game to game injustices or bad calls, I am addressing the general positioning and bias of the league...

Since when was the league biased against Maryland? 

Other than ditching Maryland - Duke (which had to be done as Duke had to pair with UNC) I don't see any perceived slights. Maryland was a founding member of the ACC. Maryland was ACC. To see them in the Big Ten just sounds so weird. To see them play in a new conference with all those teams that are total strangers, seems weird. 

The only bad thing about the ACC was their overexpansion. They raided a ****load of schools and made the ACC too big, killing off traditional rivalry like WF against the other Triangle schools and MD against their NC brothers. Maryland is going to the Big Ten now. And it just...it just seems so weird and out of place. 

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/bruce-feldman/24490632/terps-sign-oc-locksley-to-new-3-year-deal-

Terps sign OC Locksley to new 3-year deal

Maryland has signed offensive coordinator Mike Locksley to a new three-year contract, a source told CBSSports. The deal will pay Locksley in excess of $600,000 per year, making him one of the highest-paid coordinators in the Big Ten.

The 44-year-old Locksley, who doubles as the Terps QB coach, helped Maryland to a 7-6 record despite more devastating injuries. Locksley directed a Terrapin offense that eclipsed the 3,000-yard passing mark for only the fourth time in program history and the first time since the 1994 season. The Terps averaged 14.05 yards per completion in 13 games, the 16th-highest average nationally among FBS programs despite losing two of the country's better receivers.

In mid-October, Maryland lost star wideout Stefon Diggs and JC standout Deon Long for the season to broken legs. In the first month of the season, with both wideouts healthy, the Terps averaged 40 ppg. Even without the receivers, Maryland did manage to average almost 28 points a game in the final four games of the season. On the year, the Terps were ranked No. 75 in total offense and No. 84 in scoring.

The Washington, D.C. native is also regarded as one of the nation's top recruiters.

Despite leading the ACC in scoring, Maryland sophomore Terrell Stoglin (21.2 ppg) was left off the all-conference first team. It is the fifth time in league history that the conference scoring leader failed to make the first team. Stoglin did make the second team.

It’s interesting to note that all five of the ACC scoring leaders who have failed to make the first team are from outside of North Carolina.

Since when was the league biased against Maryland? 

Other than ditching Maryland - Duke (which had to be done as Duke had to pair with UNC) I don't see any perceived slights. Maryland was a founding member of the ACC. Maryland was ACC.

UMD football games wouldn't even be on TV in the home market. Instead, they'd show NCST v. Wake. or UNC V. Clemson.

You had to go online if you wanted to be able to see terps football. That's simply not right. The ACC only cared about giving airtime to schools with a homebase in Carolina.

I saw more Towson football games on broadcast TV than I saw Terps games.

Additionally, only 8 times in the past 30 years was the ACC tournament held outside of NC.

This past year, it really seemed like the league was Sour Grapes over UMD leaving.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/96499/b1g-spring-position-breakdown-wrte

B1G spring position breakdown: WR/TE

Maryland: When the Terrapins get healthy, they might have the Big Ten's best wide receiving corps. Stefon Diggs and Deon Long, both of whom sustained broken legs against Wake Forest last season, have the ability to stretch the field as both averaged more than 15 yards per reception before the injuries struck. Leading receiver Levern Jacobs also returns, alongside junior Nigel King and sophomore Amba Etta-Tawo, who averaged more than 16 yards per catch in 2013. Marcus Leak, who started seven games in 2012, rejoins the team after a year away. The Terps are unproven at tight end after losing Dave Stinebaugh

Archived