Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maryland Basketball (some football) recruiting news (Shaq, Layman Commits!)

Goingforburgundy

That was obviously a mistake, but that is on the coaching staff too. Coaches always have someone that keeps track of the possession, fouls, time outs, etc. The possession arrow does get fouled up every once in a while, and while it was a mistake at the scorer's table, one of the coaches should have been paying attention and spoken up too.

Turgeon did speak up. ESPN didn't do a good job with the camera on that. but a ref explains the call to Turgeon, and he laughs incredulously with his palm turned up. And the ACC called to apologize, like that makes a damn bit of difference.

FT: 28-34 82.4% Duke

FT: 12-19 63.2% Maryland

Think about that. Duke shot 34 FT, and only 2 of them were the result of fouling to stop the clock. And before the whole "the team that attacks the basket gets more FT" line gets thrown out, Maryland attacked the rim more than Duke did. Duke jacked 24 3PT FGS out of their 54 total shots (44% of their FGA were from 3). Literally the difference in the game was the extra possession in the game Duke was awarded (they made a FG on that possession). Maryland out played Duke in every facet (offense, defense, rebounding - both off and def), but Duke scored 28 points off FT to Maryland's 12. 16 extra points, and 9 more than Maryland attempted

AND coach K had the balls to **** about Turgeon being on the floor?

Coach K has become the guy he hated. He used to cry about how Dean Smith would get away with so much....and now that guy is him.

However, I don't think the refs decided there "Hey, lets screw Maryland per our ACC instructions". It has been a season long thing where you just got to accept this is an ACC where once you announced you were leaving, they took away any voting rights from your school, but still claim your a member because they want to fleece you for 3 times the annual operations budget of the league while not giving you the share you're owned.

When they do a 30 for 30 on the ACC after it folds or reconstitutes like the Big East. You'll have people like Van Pelt who is obv a Maryland guy...but others...talk about how the "real" ACC had been dead since the early 2000's. Others will claim that they stuck to their guns knowing the trying to sell a league in a football ruled system that was based off of North Carolina while adding teams from New York and PA was how they were doing the right thing.

Once they expanded and added those teams.....tried to assign rivals. 5 years after taking over Swofford started this mess. 

Boston College, Virginia Tech, Miami, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Louisville....ACC Tradition

Boston College, Virginia Tech, Miami, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Louisville....ACC Tradition

Of course the money is the big driver for MD to leave and there is no way in the world MD would or should turn down an offer like they got. But the teams you list above is why I have no problem with MD leaving the ACC. Seriously, this isn't even the ACC any more, unless you believe Duke and UNC are the ACC by themselves. Yet somehow MD leaving ruins the tradition and bringing in these other teams doesn't.

You are correct with Swofford starting this mess. If he really cared about ACC tradition, he wouldn't have brought in all these other schools.

From my understanding...and I'll mention that I am in communications doing some work with the Maryland system......joining the Big Ten is also about joining a conference that collaborates between schools on a level the ACC doesn't. A comment I heard suggested the ACC is very far behind on setting up a system for their schools to work together. The Big Ten already has one in place that allows peers from different universities to have easy access to each other. Also, Maryland becomes something of a "host" for the Big Ten in Washington and on the Hill. So, while the money is huge for athletics. Its a better move for the academic institution in their mind.

• 2 weeks later...

So is there where you get the Maryland homer's on the radio like Kevin Sheehan finally accepting that Turgeon might be recruiting well, but cannot coach at Maryland? Too many years in to see such dumb play.

i like sheehan, but he gets stuck on certain coaches/ideas and cant be talked out of them. 

he thought shanny was legit (as did i for awhile), likes turgeon, loved kyle shanahan, hell, even his smell test picks were below 500 this year. 

ya, turgeon might not be very good after all. look at VA right now. 

sigh.

From my understanding...and I'll mention that I am in communications doing some work with the Maryland system......joining the Big Ten is also about joining a conference that collaborates between schools on a level the ACC doesn't. A comment I heard suggested the ACC is very far behind on setting up a system for their schools to work together. The Big Ten already has one in place that allows peers from different universities to have easy access to each other. Also, Maryland becomes something of a "host" for the Big Ten in Washington and on the Hill. So, while the money is huge for athletics. Its a better move for the academic institution in their mind.

Yep. You're referring to the CIC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Committee_on_Institutional_Cooperation

If Md wants to do anything this year, they have to make it to the acc championship at least.  

ACC will have none of that.  It will be Duke vs UNC in the ACC final.  I never say this, but "Book It!" 

They've had it out for MD all year.  I mean, I know the Terps haven't played well, but the way we had to play all "road" games vs the Triangle and just watching the games, we get ticky-tacky fouls called, while our players get mugged on the way to the hoop.

I'll be glad when the season is over and we can get a fresh start in a conference that isn't biased nor Tobbacco Road driven. 

the ACC wants Duke and 'Cuse. Even though Swofford is commish and he's going to the mat to protect his dear UNC from their deserved punishment for all these fake grades. I think he knows putting them in the spotlight will only make that harder. 

Maryland has enough blame for themselves here. They hired a DIII quality AD who hired two coaches to heavy deals they didn't earn. Maybe they are recruiting better now, but it means nothing.

The ACC can worry about themselves. All I want now is for Maryland to win this buyout thing. If the ACC stopped sharing $$ with them and took away their voting rights but claim they are still part of the conference like anybody else. That's bull****.

If Maryland wins their case and the ACC has to pay them that insane amount. The conference might be done by 2020. An operation budget of between 12-17M a year and then they need to pay Maryland north of 150M. That would be a back breaker. Not even ESPN would bail them out. Maybe Duke could join the new Big East. But a new conference would need to be formed regionally. 

I've not liked Turgeon since he took over.  He's been a good recruiter, but a bad coach.  Yes, the team has underperformed and deserved to lose the games they did, but I still feel that the ACC has been sticking it too them a bit during the games as a farewell. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy or anything, but it looks fishy.

Look at the final schedule.  We should have played UNC, Duke, NC State and Virginia twice as a final farewell and thanks, but instead, we got:

Pittsburgh twice (Big East)

Virginia Tech twice (Big East)

Florida State twice (Not original ACC)

VIrigina twice (threw us a bone)

Home against BC (Big East), Syracuse (Big East), Notre Dame (Big East), Wake and Ga Tech (threw us a couple).  Not a great home schedule.

Away against UNC, Duke, NC State, Clemson and Miami.

I don't think their suit or ours will go to court.  They will eventually settle out of court.  No way we want to pay the 52 million and no way they want to pay 150 million.

Van Pelt basically said the same thing today on the radio. Meanwhile after that Duke/Cuse nonsense Swofford couldn't even say if the call was right or wrong. He knew it was wrong. But can't piss off K. So, he did some schtick about judgement calls and how the ACC is always interesting like this. Really? So is the WWE.

At the end of regulation. Wells is pushed by some clown from UVA. CBS shows the replay. CBS commentator rides Wells for "flopping". Good Riddance to the ACC.

We were all mocking that. This wasn't an ACC announcing crew. It was a CBS national crew with Marv Albert and Steve Kerr. Kerr was the one calling it a flop. Harris leaned in and gave a huge shove to Wells. It was an easy call for the refs. I still don't know what Kerr was watching. I always thought he was a better commentator than that.

They aren't going to get any calls in the ACC Tourney. They might as well accept that now and just go in there with a plan to not worry about the calls. Just run through guys, put them on their butts, and make them scared to try it again. If they get past FSU which is doubtful.....it could be fun to watch them play some tough ass street ball.

They aren't going to get any calls in the ACC Tourney. They might as well accept that now and just go in there with a plan to not worry about the calls. Just run through guys, put them on their butts, and make them scared to try it again. If they get past FSU which is doubtful.....it could be fun to watch them play some tough ass street ball.

That's what I say and what I've been saying.  The ACC has said "Eff you" to the Terps all year.  You know, as a fan that has watched the Terps in the ACC for over 30 years, I was really pissed the day the rumours came out that we were linked to possibly switching to the Big 10.  But as the last couple of years went on, I did ALOT of reading on the Big 10, the positives of moving and anything I could get my hands on about the switch and I really think this is the best thing for the school.

They get more money, they will play in a conference that doesn't cater to two teams like the ACC does with precious Duke and UNC and I think ultimately they get more national exposure, which will help recrutiing and it has already payed dividends.  Football wise, this will make them get better instead of being in a 2nd rate football conference.  Lets face it, the ACC is all about basketball whether or not they say that.  They said that bringing in Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville was all about football, but when was the last time those 3 schools were thought of as a football powerhouse?  1990 for Cuse, 1977 for Pitt and up until the last few years when Papa Johns became a huge booster, Louisville football was average to bad. The ACC is all about basketball and always will be.   

I for one cannot wait until this basketball season is over and July 1st rolls around.  I can't wait to see the "The Big 10 welcomes Maryland" advertisements on the Big 10 network.  I'm excited for the new teams on the schedule and maybe starting some new rivalries. 

One thing I was wondering, the football team has scheduled future games with Syracuse from the ACC, but I'm wondering if the basketball team will schedule non-conference games with old ACC rivals.  I say, forget about them and move on, with acception to the BIG 10/ACC annual rivalry.  Screw them and screw the ACC.  Never thought I'd say that.  I watched guys like Albert King, Buck Williams, Boomer Esiason and Frank Reich play live.  That's how long I've been a fan. Jerry Claiborn and Lefty Drisell were still coaching.

Did I mention, screw the ACC!

BIG 10 !!!

I think its up to those teams. If UVA and Maryland wanted to play a border war in various sports every year, I'm sure they could. Maybe they will. I think you won't get that from UNC/Duke/NCST just because of Swofford being to busy polishing brass on his Titanic to realize it would be good for his conference. If Syracuse wants to play yearly. Good. If VA Tech or UVU or Pitt or whoever want to. That's fine too. I'm all for regional matchups. I think they would be a bigger draw than the "traditional" Pitt/Wake game that will be pushed.

On the radio, a lot of Maryland alumni such as Kevin Sheehan of the Kornheiser radio programme said that many fans were irate or upset, and very few were happy about the move to the Big 10. Yes, Maryland is cash strapped. Yes, Maryland is Under Armor U. But did they have to go to the Big 10? Maryland to me will always be an ACC school. 

So today, on their last game as an ACC opponent in a major sport, I shed a tear as I bid them adieu. They were a major ACC player and they flat out left for the Big Ten. Maryland athletics won't be the same. 

The ACC did not set Maryland up for failure. Maryland had several good years in the ACC under good friend Gary Williams. And Maryland also had wild success with Lefty Drisell. Somehow I find it hard to believe Turgeon would fasten the B1G championship trophy to his car as he drove, honking, through the woods of the Carolinas (yes, Lefty apparently did this) 

The ACC was good to Maryland. Maryland was just cash strapped and bolted for the money. Kevin Anderson couldn't bail Maryland out? They had to go and leave a league which they had ample tradition, Cole Field House, Comcast, Maryland - Duke, Juan Dixon? What about the memories? 

I never went to Maryland. But Maryland always has a soft spot in my heart. And I am very sad here today to see them go to the Big Ten. It just doesn't seem right. 

Archived