Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SportingNews.com: Mutual interest between Washington Redskins, Cullen Jenkins

flexxskins

If this has been posted and discussed already sorry, I haven't seen it.

PUBLISHED Wednesday, Jul 6, 2011 at 9:25 pm EDT

Staff report

Sporting News

After reporting the Washington Redskins were interested in free agent defensive end Cullen Jenkins, The Washington Post has confirmed that Jenkins is intrigued by potentially playing in Washington.

Citing a person familiar with the situation, the Post said the two sides have mutual interest, although the current lockout has prohibited any contract talks.

Cullen Jenkins played on a Super Bowl winning Green Bay team last year, but he is reportedly interested in Washington. (AP Photo)Jenkins is coming off a Super Bowl season in Green Bay in which he recorded eight sacks playing defensive end in a 3-4 scheme, which Washington employs. Sporting News ranks Jenkins as the No. 1 available free-agent defensive end.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/baak8

Whoops, click the now working link for the rest of the article. My bad.

I always read interest in being a Redskins as "I wanna get paid, a lot"

While he's a definite need. Why would anyone want to leave Green Bay and play for a team that has 10 wins in the last 2 years? A PAYDAY.... If we're going to overpay for a guy in his 30's then it should be at NT and Franklin should be the guy. I wouldn't go after either but look for younger and cheaper alternative such as Alan Branch/Gabe Watson.

While he's a definite need. Why would anyone want to leave Green Bay and play for a team that has 10 wins in the last 2 years? A PAYDAY.... If we're going to overpay for a guy in his 30's then it should be at NT and Franklin should be the guy. I wouldn't go after either but look for younger and cheaper alternative such as Alan Branch/Gabe Watson.

I was a big fan of Branch coming out of college but I haven't heard a single thing about him since he entered the league. The guy has 3 career starts in 4 seasons. I know Dockett is ahead of him on the depth chart, which is understandable but unless I'm wrong I thought they ran a 4-3 in Arizona so who else is ahead of him.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him here if he is a FA but if there is someone on here with more knowledge of what he's done since he's been in the league that would definitely make a difference in my opinion.

I can definitely see what you're saying about Jenkins coming here - I mean really why would you want to leave the Packers to come to the Redskins. The only defense I would have is that they have several young stars on the inside of their D-line and maybe Jenkins feels he won't be getting the same amount of snaps there as he would here and obviously not the money. Definitely a question worth considering but I think the general (and relatively well informed) consensus around here is that we will pursue him in FA and he's likely to be a Redskin this coming season.

I was a big fan of Branch coming out of college but I haven't heard a single thing about him since he entered the league. The guy has 3 career starts in 4 seasons. I know Dockett is ahead of him on the depth chart, which is understandable but unless I'm wrong I thought they ran a 4-3 in Arizona so who else is ahead of him.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him here if he is a FA but if there is someone on here with more knowledge of what he's done since he's been in the league that would definitely make a difference in my opinion.

I can definitely see what you're saying about Jenkins coming here - I mean really why would you want to leave the Packers to come to the Redskins. The only defense I would have is that they have several young stars on the inside of their D-line and maybe Jenkins feels he won't be getting the same amount of snaps there as he would here and obviously not the money. Definitely a question worth considering but I think the general (and relatively well informed) consensus around here is that we will pursue him in FA and he's likely to be a Redskin this coming season.

Zona runs a 3-4. Gabe plays NT and Branch plays DE but could also move to the NT in the nickel. Just throwing names out there that are much younger and more cost effective.

---------- Post added July-8th-2011 at 06:59 PM ----------

So this means that someone is on the chopping block... PD93, Golston..?

PD93 is always on the chopping block but it's hard to find a better dude, locker room presence, or harder worker. Golston is a FA.

He's already 30, I'm not sure how I feel about this. He could probably be productive for another 3-4 years, but I'm not sure if this is the direction we should be going.

My goodness. How come every time somebody is over 30 people say that he is too old? How are we going to add some veteran presence if we keep on signing people under 30?

We need to sure up this line; Jenkins will go a long way of helping us do that.

My goodness. How come every time somebody is over 30 people say that he is too old? How are we going to add some veteran presence if we keep on signing people under 30?

Exactly. If Cullen Jenkins replaces Philip Daniels on the roster, not only do we significantly get better at the position (replacing arguably our worst end for a starter), but we also get 8 years younger too.

Frankly, the more players we add that have played for winning organizations, the better

He offered GB the home town discount & they still aren't interested in bringing him back. Speaking of bringing back, chances are increasing on keeping McNugget in DC the longer this stupid lockout continues.

He offered GB the home town discount & they still aren't interested in bringing him back. Speaking of bringing back, chances are increasing on keeping McNugget in DC the longer this stupid lockout continues.

Pretty sure Jenkins wouldn't come here for a discount. Fact is he's played 31 games in the last 3 YRs out of a possible 48 regular season games. So injury concerns plus a hefty contact is a reason to be hesitant. As far as McNabb, that $10 million option bonus in McNabb's contract due between the first day of the league year and the day after the first game plus a $2.5 million base salary in 2011 besides EVERYTHING else is the reason I think he's more of a long shot than even bringing back Haynesworth.

Here are the reamaning detail on #5's extension.

• 2011: $10 million option bonus/$2.5 million salary/$750,000 if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

• 2012: $12.75 million salary/$750,000 if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

• 2013: $13 million salary/$1.5 million if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

• 2014: $13.75 million salary/$3 million if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

• 2015: $13.55 million salary/$2.25 million if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

I didn't agree with the trade to bring him here or the extension which would prove prohibitive in any potential trade. Just my opinion and as always I respect those of others. Hail.

I would be okay with this. Cullen Jenkins is a hell of a good 3-4 DE who could provide some veteran leadership, and would help stabilize our line.

If we're trying to get stronger in the trenches, I'm all for it.

Because our years of suffering our built on signing 30+ year old players looking for a payday.

Exactly. If Cullen Jenkins replaces Philip Daniels on the roster, not only do we significantly get better at the position (replacing arguably our worst end for a starter), but we also get 8 years younger too.

Frankly, the more players we add that have played for winning organizations, the better

You better hope PD doesn't log into ES tonight and read that lip.

Hell no on this guy. I'm not against signing 30+ year-old players, but, as I said in another thread, Cullen Jenkins's interest in Washington reeks of a veteran with a ring looking for a huge payday. The only way I'd take Jenkins is if he was willing to work for Carriker's salary. Since it'll be a cold day in hell before that ever happens, ta, but no ta, to Jenkins.

PD is a great guy and I would hate to see him go. But my guess is that he is really gonna have to show the coaches that he is still mobile enough to play this year in the breif time there will be before the season starts. I just wish every player had as good of additude as PD

I said this in the Free Agents thread, and I'll say it here. He didn't want to leave Green Bay. We didn't even offer him a contract because we knew we couldn't afford him. He said after the lockout started that he would have given Green Bay a hometown discount, but they never contacted him. Personally, if we could swing it, I'd prefer if we could drop Pickett if it meant we could keep a talent like Cullen Jenkins. How many players can provide and inside rush like that at the 3-4 DE position?

Archived