Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SportingNews.com: Mutual interest between Washington Redskins, Cullen Jenkins

flexxskins

How many players can provide and inside rush like that at the 3-4 DE position?

Not many.

I'd be looking at Jason Hatcher. Prying him away from the Boys would be a good thing obviously, but I seriously doubt they let him go.

Jenkins or Hatcher along with a NT like Franklin would be pretty formidable IMO.

Nononono tampering, I don´t want to get fined.....we almost got fined for the AH deal. Please be careful I don´t want to lose draft picks.

No matter who signs where, there will be accusations of tampering. FA is going to happen too fast for there not to be. Almost every team in the league will have to deal with accusations.

I said this in the Free Agents thread, and I'll say it here. He didn't want to leave Green Bay. We didn't even offer him a contract because we knew we couldn't afford him. He said after the lockout started that he would have given Green Bay a hometown discount, but they never contacted him. Personally, if we could swing it, I'd prefer if we could drop Pickett if it meant we could keep a talent like Cullen Jenkins. How many players can provide and inside rush like that at the 3-4 DE position?
Jenkins fits the Pack better than he fits the Skins, in my opinion. Age, injuries, cost are negatives for a team that isn't close to championship caliber.

So Oldfan, when (if ever) would you be in favor of signing FAs? Seems like a philosophical stance with you to avoid them. I agree that we have no shortcuts to improvement, and think we would be better served cultivating our own stars instead of trying to buy someone else's success, but where might you see it as appropriate?

So Oldfan, when (if ever) would you be in favor of signing FAs? Seems like a philosophical stance with you to avoid them. I agree that we have no shortcuts to improvement, and think we would be better served cultivating our own stars instead of trying to buy someone else's success, but where might you see it as appropriate?
As a general rule, I would look for free agents 27 and younger. Cap casualties Antonio Pierce, 26 and Mike Vrabel, 27, are examples from the past. QBs could be 30.

Im all for it for the right price. We need to get better in the trenches and he is one of the best 3-4 ends in the league. Plus we also have the rookie Jenkins and Carriker so if Cullen gets hurt it wont be as much of a blow. Def an upgrade over Daniels who should be off this roster regardless...maybe he can work his way into coaching but theres no way he should be on this roster this year.

Cullen could also help bring the rookie along and show him the ropes at the position. Who knows maybe we sign Kris too, he could be a solid rotational player at NT. Assuming we dont get Franklin from San Fran

He's already 30, I'm not sure how I feel about this. He could probably be productive for another 3-4 years, but I'm not sure if this is the direction we should be going.

In "today's NFL," I think 3-4 years is long term. It'd be great to keep a guy for 10, but the emphasis has to be on three to four year windows, not ten. You can't keep a team around that long.

I said this in the Free Agents thread, and I'll say it here. He didn't want to leave Green Bay. We didn't even offer him a contract because we knew we couldn't afford him. He said after the lockout started that he would have given Green Bay a hometown discount, but they never contacted him. Personally, if we could swing it, I'd prefer if we could drop Pickett if it meant we could keep a talent like Cullen Jenkins. How many players can provide and inside rush like that at the 3-4 DE position?

I appreciate the insight and it definitely adds to the side of me that wants Jenkins. As said before, he'd actually be making us younger on the D-line and he's still a very productive player that is one of the better penetrating interior linemen in the game. I think he can be a great mentor to guys like Nield and Jarvis Jenkins. My main concern is the pricetag. Any idea of how much he's going to be looking for?

---------- Post added July-9th-2011 at 11:10 AM ----------

He offered GB the home town discount & they still aren't interested in bringing him back. Speaking of bringing back, chances are increasing on keeping McNugget in DC the longer this stupid lockout continues.

If we ended up keeping McNabb, and according to Shanny they just wanted to see what they had in Grossman last year, does McNabb return as the starter/#1 on the depth chart when camp opens or is it an open competition between McNabb, Beck and Grossman if we sign him?

What a terrible signing this would be. 30 year old d-lineman coming off a Superbowl ring.

By the time this team is ready to compete, he is 32 or 33 and on the downside of his career

I agree with this. Unless he is someone like London Fletcher, we should look elsewhere.

Im all for it for the right price. We need to get better in the trenches and he is one of the best 3-4 ends in the league. Plus we also have the rookie Jenkins and Carriker so if Cullen gets hurt it wont be as much of a blow. Def an upgrade over Daniels who should be off this roster regardless...maybe he can work his way into coaching but theres no way he should be on this roster this year.

Cullen could also help bring the rookie along and show him the ropes at the position. Who knows maybe we sign Kris too, he could be a solid rotational player at NT. Assuming we dont get Franklin from San Fran

Do you really think Franklin is that good? I have my doubts. Each time the Skins bring someone in from SF, it usually doesn't work out. The exception was Andre Carter, who really played his but off.

I would prefer getting a NT that is low key but takes care of his assignments. Can a NT be found in this FA offering other than Franklin?

the knock on CJ is that he has been bitten by the injury bug. he's missed 17 games over the past three years due to injuries. a thirty year old football player with a history of injuries is not all that appealing.

I don't know how I feel about this since we drafted Jarvis Jenkins in the 2nd round. We have Daniels and Holliday to help him develop, I don't see why we should spend a lot of money on another 30 year old DE.

It reminds me of the McNabb trade. Getting an aging guy who is a good player, but probably won't do much to help us much based on his age vs where we are as a team right now.

I'd prefer Orakpo and Kerrigan to have a worthwhile D-Line to operate behind instead of waiting "2-3 years" down the road to do so. Adding Jenkins to the roster does not mean the Skins still don't try and draft their own D-Linemen next year to add to what they'd have now. And if Jenkins starts to slide in 3 years we could have our own young D-Linemen already on the team with a few years of experience in Haslett's 3-4, learning from a veteran Super Bowl-winning lineman the entire time. I'm sure Jenkins has more to teach the young players than Antonio Bryant and other fellow fellow rookies.

Just make sure the contract isn't obscene and is workable, that's all I ask.

---------- Post added July-9th-2011 at 12:13 PM ----------

I don't know how I feel about this since we drafted Jarvis Jenkins in the 2nd round. We have Daniels and Holliday to help him develop, I don't see why we should spend a lot of money on another 30 year old DE.

Do you know how old Daniels and Holliday are? :ols:...Holliday will be 36 this season and Daniels will be 38. And Daniels ended his season last year on injured reserve.

We're scared ****less of signing a 30 year old D-Lineman but all for keeping linemen who are 6-8 years older simply because they cost less? Really?

---------- Post added July-9th-2011 at 12:18 PM ----------

the knock on CJ is that he has been bitten by the injury bug. he's missed 17 games over the past three years due to injuries. a thirty year old football player with a history of injuries is not all that appealing.

He has only missed 5 games over the last two seasons, though...

I'm sure Jenkins, like every other possible FA signing, will have to pass a physical before anything is finalized. And I'm sure each player's health and injury history will be factored into the contract Allen offers to anyone. Vinny, perhaps not. But Vinny ain't here anymore.

We're scared ****less of signing a 30 year old D-Lineman but all for keeping linemen who are 6-8 years older simply because they cost less? Really?

I really don't understand all the hysteria about FA. It's a vital part - period. Just because we have not done things very wisely over the years with some FA's doesn't mean we should stop trying altogether. We're not going to have an entire roster made up of guys 22 thru 25 years of age. I think we're well on our way to building a youthful foundation. The only glaring need I see is QB and we have a legit shot at landing a good one in next years draft. There are other needs of course, but I think the 2010 draft was a big step forward.

I really don't understand all the hysteria about FA. It's a vital part - period. Just because we have not done things very wisely over the years with some FA's doesn't mean we should stop trying altogether. We're not going to have an entire roster made up of guys 22 thru 25 years of age. I think we're well on our way to building a youthful foundation. The only glaring need I see is QB and we have a legit shot at landing a good one in next years draft. There are other needs of course, but I think the 2010 draft was a big step forward.

Totally agree :yes:...some here are acting as if Allen's gonna offer Jenkins $20 mil a year because he feels the Skins are "one player away" and is enamored with Jenkins just having won a Super Bowl ring lol. Others think a 30 year-old player has a "history of injury" because he missed 17 games over the last 3 years...but don't see any problem with keeping a 38 year-old Daniels on the team who has missed 18 games over that same time span :ols:...

And for the record, this isn't a slam against Daniels, he's one of my most favorite Skins players and has been since his arrival :yes:...the guy is pure class and all heart, and understands and appreciates the game of football. My comment was simply about the contradictions within some people's viewpoints...it's like they don't really think things all the way through at times.

And for the record, this isn't a slam against Daniels, he's one of my most favorite Skins players and has been since his arrival :yes:...the guy is pure class and all heart, and understands and appreciates the game of football. My comment was simply about the contradictions within some people's viewpoints...it's like they don't really think things all the way through at times.

Absolutely agree about Daniels. I've not given the man his proper due over the years for his contributions to this team.

Thanks Cali

There must be something that the packers dont like, they just won the superbowl and don't want to keep him?

It sounds like they're doing what everyone claims good franchises do: letting a starter go either via trade or free agency because they've built up quality depth and can continue on without missing too much of a beat. I think the Packers are letting Jenkins go because they believe they are in a position to be able to win without him.

A team like the Skins, though--who have basically zero in terms of starter-quality D-Linemen on the roster, ESPECIALLY those with experience in the 3-4--that team can't afford to either let talent leave the squad or purposefully ignore trying to sign talent at such a huge area of need.

I'm sure it's been posted already, but as far as Jenkins goes:

When I wrote about Green Bay Packers DE Cullen Jenkins earlier, I should have pointed out this excellent article on why he'll be too expensive for the Packers to keep. And due to his age (he turned 30 earlier this year) and a recent history of injuries in 2008 and 2010, there is some risk in re-signing him. But I don't think either is as big a risk for an interior defensive lineman. Defensive lineman age better than some players (it's not like it matters much if he loses a step, his game is built on strength) and he's played in all 16 games in 4 of his 7 NFL seasons.

According to Pro Football Focus, he's been one of the best interior defensive lineman at rushing the passer, coming in at No. 3 in 2010, and No. 1 over the past three seasons. Although 49ers Justin Smith has played in a lot more snaps, and recorded a lot more total pressures.

...Some veterans just aren't washed up when we expect them to be. Is anyone else surprised that former Packer DE Vonnie Holliday is still an effective pass rusher?

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2011/6/24/2241878/on-why-cullen-jenkins-will-get-paid-a-big-contract

The PFF article:

Club hand and all, Cullen Jenkins is likely to have quite the market for his services given what he can do (and has done) in 3-4 and 4-3 defenses. He was even more productive than a guy who seems to be finally get his due in Justin Smith.

The qualifying number of pass rushing snaps has risen to 700, giving us 67 valiant defensive linemen qualifying to compete for the top spot. But who will it be? Well, we’ve spoken about him already … Cullen Jenkins is the top dog, ever so slightly finishing ahead of Justin Smith who has, by some distance, produced the most total pressure over the past three years.

..So, there you have it. That’s our look at interior defensive linemen and how productive they are as pass rushers. Of course, there are always factors that stats can’t account for (injuries, level of opposition, etc.), but it’s a pretty good indicator of which guys are getting the job done. Any quarterback that has been harassed by Justin Smith or Cullen Jenkins will tell you the same.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/22/three-years-of-pass-rushing-productivity-interior-defensive-linemen/

I hope they go after him...but I hope they don't break the bank doing so.

Archived