Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When pulled over by the police, know your rights! RE: Darnell Dockett

RonArtest15

I have been pulled over countless times by the police, including outside of my house and outside of my church , but because I was always chilled, they never asked to search my car. But now that my car is stolen, I pray to God that they do pull it over to search.

Better hope a black guy stole it or they'll never pull it over ;)

What will likely happen is that you will get it back and then YOU will get pulled over for driving a stolen car. Enjoy!

I've had my car searched once.

I consented to the search because I figured that it was better to let them search it than having my car towed and being taken in.

Let me explain; I got a ticket in my buddy's car with him in it (because he wasn't in a good position to drive, I drove). We got pulled over because his tag was dead (didn't realize this at the time), come to find out he also didn't have his insurance card in the car (he had insurance just had the wrong card). Anyway the cop had to give me the ticket because I was driving and even told my buddy that though he had to give me the ticket I shouldn't have to pay it. My buddy swore he was going to pay the ticket, then a few weeks later swore he did pay it.

Over a year later, maybe even damn near 2 years later, I got stopped by a cop on my way home from a date because of a blown headlight. The cop runs my license, come to find out that my license was suspended due to failure to pay a ticket. I remember saying to the cops, "Okay, I know when I tell you this story it's going to sound like bull****, but I REALLY REALLY need you to believe me right now" and going on to explain to them what happened. The cop gave me an ultimatum said that if I let him search me and the car, and it was clean of anything illegal he would let me go. Otherwise he'll have to take me in and have the car impounded. I obviously chose the first option, and drove home hoping that no other cop stopped me on the way (from Tysons Corner to Leesburg, what a nerve-wracking drive).

--------

I was nearly searched another time and this time I feel it was racial profiling.

I was leaving a friend's place and going back around the corner to where we both worked to take care of some things for the evening before I went home for the night. It was about 8:30pm and I'm in my car listening to the album Core by STP. A cop pulls up and looks over at me, I nod my head in the typical "hello" fashion. He gives me this odd look like, "What is this black ass dude doing listen to Stone Temple Pilots?" (it was a summer evening, so I had my windows down). I went back to paying attention to the light and felt the cop staring a hole in my head, I immediately knew there was going to be an issue.

Now the light we were at there were two lanes, in the left lane you could only turn left, in the right you either went straight or turned right—I'm in the left, Officer Friendly is in the right. The light turns green, I turn left and the cop turn left from the right lane, so I knew he was following me. I went the speed limit, even though 25 MPH is mind-numbingly slow, the cop comes right up behind me. Follows me for 3 blocks, through 1 stoplight and a stop-sign, then we reach another stop-sign. This is my turn so I turn left and guess what, yup blue lights.

Knowing the situation I drove slowly until I found a well lit parking lot, with a good bit of traffic around it in which to stop my car. Stop my car and the cop comes up to me and says, "Do you know why I'm stopping you?" I said, "No", he says "Well you were going awfully fast back there, I had you going 45 in a 25 zone." I responded, "Are you sure? I thought I was going the speed limit, I was actually watching my speedometer to make sure I wasn't speeding because I saw you turn out of the right hand lane behind me." He gets defensive this time, "Well, my speed gun has just been calibrated, and even back there at the sign when you turned, you were going 40 right off the line, that's when I had to stop you." Now, many of you have never seen my car, but DCSportsFan53 has and I'm sure he can attest to the fact that my 1993 Honda Civic couldn't go 40 if it were being towed by a Porsche Cayenne. So it was at this point that I just said, "Well I don't know what to tell you, I thought I was going the speed limit." He went back to his car, I made sure my hands were visible and even left my door open so he could see in the car (my window was broken, so I couldn't roll it down and had to open the door to talk to the cop).

Eventually another cop showed up and shortly thereafter another cop but this time with a K-9 unit. After about 30/40 minutes of waiting the cop finally came back and said, "I'm not gonna give you a ticket, I just want you to be aware because Virginia just made the fines for speeding quite hefty and you don't want to pay that." I played the grateful and demure citizen and went on about my night. But goddamn did that whole situation piss me off.

"Where are you from?"

"Bethesda"

"Well, this ain't Bethesda..." <drives off>

If a cop suspects something and starts asking random questions, what happens if you don't answer them ?

What if I consider the questions personal, none of his business, and I've done nothing wrong, do I have the same right to remain silent, as if I was arrested ?

Just because they order you out of the car doesn't mean they cab search it.

Of course it does. You are free to argue in court AFTER THE FACT that they it was an unlawful search and you can complain if they find nothing and let you go on your merry way. If you hesitate they can say you were uncooperative and hostile and use that as "probable cause". Then there is the reality they if you say no, they search and find something, they can say you gave them permission and changed your mind after they found something. Unless you're on video it's your word against theirs. Good luck with that.

(it was a summer evening, so I had my windows down).

left my door open so he could see in the car (my window was broken, so I couldn't roll it down and had to open the door to talk to the cop).

Son, part of your story just doesn't add up. Would you mind stepping out of the car. ;)

I played the grateful and demure citizen and went on about my night. But goddamn did that whole situation piss me off.

Making up BS as a reason to pull you over is a tool they use often. I was an 18 year old kid leaving my girlfriends house at 1am. She happened to live a block from a known drug area and I know the cop assumed that's where I came from. He came flying up behind me with his lights on several miles down the road and claimed I was speeding. I knew I wasn't so I asked him what the radar showed, and he said "I don't have you on radar but I had to go 85 to catch up to you so I know you were speeding."

Can you believe that crock? I said "well if you were a mile behind me I'd expect you to have to go that fast to catch up with me." After he settled down he let me drive off without so much as a license/registration check. I think it suprised him that I was just an innocent kid with a perfectly reasonable explanation for being in that area after midnight.

Should've arrested him. He was being antagonizing and obstructing the police from doing their job. **** his rights.

A f-ing plus. :ols::ols:

---------- Post added June-28th-2011 at 02:51 PM ----------

But according to cops, it's illegal to videotape them doing their job, because you're then considered a threat :)

It is illegal to videotape cops on duty in some states.

Here is the issue I have.

I used to follow Darnell on Twitter- and I swear not a week went by without him bragging about speeding, and/opr driving crazy and getting pulled over. I haven't "followed" him on twitter for a few months- because he was just too stupid really.

But if you are constantly driving like an asshat, almost daring the cops to pull you over- and then brag about all the breaks you get- I have absolutely no sympathy for you. He thinks its a game, and hopefully he doesn't F up some day and either kill another person, or himself.

Just becuase you are rich, famous and have an awesome car- doesn't give you the right to drive like a maniac.

Son, part of your story just doesn't add up. Would you mind stepping out of the car. ;)

hahaha, I knew I should have clarified, my post was already on the verbose side, so I decided not to explain. My driver side window is the only one that didn't work, all my other windows were fine.

No way you are still driving that old civic Sassy. Wow.

Good for you.

I ended up selling it for parts once the head gasket blew back in '08. But it served it's purpose quite well for the time I had it.

I'm surprised they didn't just order him out of the car. When they do if you fail to comply they'll charge you with resisting arrest. That's how the cops in VA do it.

You are legally required to get out of the car, if ordered. It's an officer safety issue. You also have the right to lock the doors behind you, and refuse to allow a consent search.

I'm in favor of both.

You are legally required to get out of the car, if ordered. It's an officer safety issue. You also have the right to lock the doors behind you, and refuse to allow a consent search.

I'm in favor of both.

and like I said before, you have the right to complain after the fact. If the police officer wants to he will take your keys and search your car and if you do a damn thing to stop him you are going to jail. There are no rights in this country that you can defend when dealing with a police officer. You have the right to complain after they have been violated not to stop them from being violated.

and like I said before, you have the right to complain after the fact. If the police officer wants to he will take your keys and search your car and if you do a damn thing to stop him you are going to jail. There are no rights in this country that you can defend when dealing with a police officer. You have the right to complain after they have been violated not to stop them from being violated.

I think you underestimate the morality of the OVERWHELMING majority of cops. Sure, there are bad cops. There are bad teachers. But I think a lot of people make the jump from "I saw this one cop do some ****ed up **** on youtube, so that's what they're all like that." Meanwhile, no one thinks their son's hot teacher is ****ing half her class because they saw THAT story on the news.

I think you underestimate the morality of the OVERWHELMING majority of cops. Sure, there are bad cops. There are bad teachers. But I think a lot of people make the jump from "I saw this one cop do some ****ed up **** on youtube, so that's what they're all like that." Meanwhile, no one thinks their son's hot teacher is ****ing half her class because they saw THAT story on the news.

pretty much. I know there are bad cops out there, but every experience I've had personally (aside from campus PD) has been nothing but good.

I can only judge from my personal experience (and to be fair I'm a white guy from the suburbs who's probably about as threatening-looking as a ham sandwich :ols:), but yeah, that's been my impression. Anyone can look up videos of cops acting ridiculous on YouTube, but I've had your average amount of run-ins, and the worst complaint I can make is that they take an absolutely ungodly amount of time running your license and registration through their computers. I seriously have no idea what they're doing when they go back to their cars, but I've usually waited 15-20 minutes each time, and I don't have any sort of record beyond a couple of speeding tickets. But anyway, the point is that I've gotten more warnings than tickets, and it's probably because I know that the best way to talk to a cop is to be respectful and acknowledge that you know you did something wrong, be it speeding, a "rolling stop," whatever. I've probably earned at least half of my warnings by simply saying, "I'm sorry, sir, you're right" at some point in the conversation.

On the other hand, I'm also lucky enough to be able to say that I've never experienced harassment, so I don't know what it's like to be faced with the choice of either admitting to some violation that I know didn't actually happen, or telling a cop to his face that he's wrong. I'm sure that's an extremely difficult position.

I don't disagree with you. You do of course realize that nothing you just said challenges anything I did. A private citizen does not have the right to protect his rights from being violated by a police officer. He has the right to complain after the fact and hope the system holds the officer accountable for his actions. As for your comments I realize that there are bad teachers, hell you can't even trust men of God. The difference is teachers, priests, or what have you can't arrest me and charge me with something if I refuse to cooperate in the way a bad cop can. Knowing this the prudent course of action is to do everything possible to avoid having a police officer want to screw with you.

BTW - my experiences have nothing to do with youtube. I've seen police misconduct personally more than once. Not fun.

I'll add that in Washington state, even if you are arrested from a traffic stop- police can not search your vehicle without a warrant. ITs based on case law that over the years has gotten more and more strict.

When I started in law enforcement, we could search an entire vehicle (except locked compartments/trunk) after a person (driver or passenger) was arrested from the vehicle. Then in the early 2000's it became more strict, to limit the search to only the "lunge area" from where the person was arrested. Then about 2 yrs ago, it became even more strict, limiting Search incident to arrest- to must having a search warrant regardless. Obviously this is a non factor if the search is consensual.

Another example is that we used to be able to search w/o consent and w/o a warrant if we could smell weed. But of course, as the case law changed - that now is also a search warrant only (or consent) type of search.

I think these go hand in hand. Just saying.

So you think that the stories about people being pulled over for "speeding" 20 mph over the limit when those in question were specifically watching their speedometer because they saw a cop behind them are all universally lies?

So you think that the stories about people being pulled over for "speeding" 20 mph over the limit when those in question were specifically watching their speedometer because they saw a cop behind them are all universally lies?

Not at all. I'm sure there's abusive cops out there and harassment happens, but not all cops are bad, and being cooperative, showing respect, and telling the truth goes a long way in diffusing a situation.

Archived