Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IP: The wrong John Wayne (Rep. Michele Bachmann messes up in Iowa).

JMS

PIck the hotter accused murderer  

52 members have voted

1. 1. PIck the hotter accused murderer

Has anyone seen the explanation: she wasn't wrong, John Wayne did live in Waterloo. Actually, his parents met there, but he was born in Winterset and never lived there.

Its about as good as the explanation that Paul Revere actually did warn the English that people were coming to take our guns.

California is only 3 hours away?

Because that's where John Wayne grew up.

"John Wayne, the movie legend, is in fact from Iowa and the John Wayne birthplace is a celebrated landmark — only it's in Winterset, which is a nearly three hour drive away from Waterloo."

I should have said "born" not "grew up."

But my slight gaffe, and your anxiousness to correct me, most certainly qualifies me to be your next president. So thank you. ;)

So Gacy was in Waterloo "briefly," while Wayne grew up 3 hours away. Sounds like a deliberate reach in reporting to me.

However, I'm sure this story has already made it to all 57 states.

Yep. No one ever,ever pointed out the 57 states gaffe before.

Much less brought it back up over and over again for almost three straight years, as though it meant something significant about Barack Obama, the stupid magna cum laude Harvard law graduate who isn't educated enough to know how many states there are. Clearly he was just pandering to the powerful 57th state demographic when he made that slip. It's exactly the same thing. You've convinced me. :)

Guest Spearfeather
So Gacy was in Waterloo "briefly," while Wayne grew up 3 hours away. Sounds like a deliberate reach in reporting to me.

However, I'm sure this story has already made it to all 57 states.

Yep, and she could probably pronounce " Corpsman " correctly.

Let's not forget the " bomb " that fell on Pearl harbor

Yep. No one ever,ever pointed out the 57 states gaffe before.

Much less brought it back up over and over again for almost three straight years, as though it meant something significant about Barack Obama, the stupid magna cum laude Harvard law graduate who isn't educated enough to know how many states there are. Clearly he was just pandering to the powerful 57th state demographic when he made that slip. It's exactly the same thing. You've convinced me. :)

Touchy when the shoe's on the other foot, aren't we? :silly:

Yep, and she could probably pronounce " Corpsman " correctly.

Let's not forget the " bomb " that fell on Pearl harbor

Dude, that was obviously a typo in the written speech... he even recognized it and paused, but its hard to go off your script when its been reviewed a hundred times, in an instant.

There's a difference between misspeaking and not knowing the facts.

Only problem is, the shoe isn't on the other foot.

People who will do anything to try to divert attention away from bad news about their side are trying to shift the shoe.

(No doubt they will now follow it up with a rousing chorus of "I wasn't trying to defend her when I completely ignored the subject of the thread and pulled a 'let's talk about this, instead'.")

Your continued failure to understand the difference between a slip of the tongue and an actual misunderstanding of facts, baffles me. That is, unless, you truly believe the President thinks there are 57 states.

Do you?

One guy was born three hours away. One guy was there "briefly." Which one is "from" there?

Well, it's a little worse than a slip of the tongue. I think she thought this was true and her vetters missed the fact check. Honestly, other than a quick chuckle this story has no value, but just like with Obama believing there are 57 states in the Union it is worth a chuckle. What I find worriesome is the fact that she wasn't able to go... whoops, messed up on that one. The Duke lived over thataway! Nothing wrong with a silly gaffe. There's something a little wrong in pretending it wasn't one.

Anyway, it's okay for us to laugh at our candidates when they are stupid in a harmless way.

One guy was born three hours away. One guy was there "briefly." Which one is "from" there?

I'll be nice - even though you failed to answer the question - or even admit to your lack on understanding between a slip of the tongue and a misunderstanding of the facts.

The only one that Waterloo can be linked with is Gacy. He lived in Waterloo with his wife for two years. He started his life of crime there. He would have lived there longer, but he went to jail and his wife divorced him. Upon release from jail, he decided to move to Chicago rather than reestablish himself in Waterloo.

The Duke? Well..his parents might have met in Waterloo. Other than that...not sure what connection could be claimed.

Guest Spearfeather
Like whether the guy ya just gave the Medal of Honor to is alive or dead?

**** happens

Yeah, no big deal.

There's a difference between misspeaking and not knowing the facts.

Aw, you liberals and your "facts".

Haven't you heard? Facts are whatever the Kool Aid vendors say it is.

You're seeing it in this thread, already. The people who aren't defending her are already trying to tell us why she not only intended to say it, but tha it was correct, and the liberal media are trying to smear her with their "gotcha" questions and their trick wording.

The way these things usually work, along about this time tomorrow, Bachman's statement will be insightful, accurate, and will display the way she masters the subject, as opposed to those people who only know the surface events. And this entire story will be yet another case of the Liberal Media trying to smear a knowledgeable candidate, and the Liberals were wrong.

The Duke? Well..his parents might have met in Waterloo. Other than that...not sure what connection could be claimed.

But wait! Maybe he was conceived there. And as we all know, life begins at conception, right?

Birth is just some minor little thing that liberals pay attention to. (Unless one of the parents is Muslim, and it might have happened in Hawaii.)

The 57 states misspeak was nothing, signified nothing. You know it. I know it. The media noticed it. Fine. We talked about it back then and giggled. Fine. It should have died three years ago.

This Bachmann comment is nothing, signifies nothing. You know it. I know it. The media is noticing it. Fine. We are talking about it now and giggling. Fine. It will die in a few days.

The Palin mistakes are not the same. The Palin mistakes show that she hasn't got a clue in her empty head. Just a bunch of talking points that she mangles together in a great big souffle of stupid.

What is sad about the 57 states thing is how often you guys bring it up, as though it were a complete answer to everything ignorant comment, stupid proposal or terrible opinion held by any conservative, anywhere, anytime, forever.

Hypothectical:

Predicto says: "Palin just said in a speech that the Founding Fathers believed that each state should be allowed to jail and execute people for belonging to the wrong religion. That's crazy talk..."

Honorary_Hog: "Well at least she knows how many states there are. She doesn't think there are 57. Haw haw! They're both stupid, and you are just an Obama apologist if you don't agree."

Predicto: "What the?"

Archived