Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IP: The wrong John Wayne (Rep. Michele Bachmann messes up in Iowa).

JMS

PIck the hotter accused murderer  

52 members have voted

1. 1. PIck the hotter accused murderer

Guest Spearfeather
You know, I always liked this image.

It doesn't have anything to do with this thread, either.

obama_bush_kick_me.jpg

It'll be O.K.

Believe me, I know all about demonization. What with being a woman and a lesbian I get the double whammy. If I was other than white, I'd have a trifecta going.

I feel your pain. But there's hope! Everybody else, look at this closely for at least 30 seconds!!! ;)

040411_1642_FunnyObamaP1.gif

Believe me, I know all about demonization. What with being a woman and a lesbian I get the double whammy. If I was other than white, I'd have a trifecta going.

Actually, if you were a man and a lesbian wouldn't that be the double whammy... wait, I'm confused. If it makes you feel better from today forward I will think of you as an albino Kenyan Muslim North Korean pygmy lesbian woman who is a communist and pro-Israeli member of Hamas.

Edit: Hope-nosis is pretty funny btw. I hadn't seen that one before.

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 07:19 PM ----------

Just heard Bachman respond to the John Wayne gaffeand what she said was perfect. She said "I made a mistake. I'm only human. I'll try my best not to make any more mistakes." (paraphrased)

Simple, concise, fair, and reasonable... basically, what we all say when we're caught with an innocent goof.

[/color]Just heard Bachman respond to the John Wayne gaffeand what she said was perfect. She said "I made a mistake. I'm only human. I'll try my best not to make any more mistakes." (paraphrased)

Simple, concise, fair, and reasonable... basically, what we all say when we're caught with an innocent goof.

Good for her. More pols should follow her lead.

Just heard Bachman respond to the John Wayne gaffeand what she said was perfect. She said "I made a mistake. I'm only human. I'll try my best not to make any more mistakes." (paraphrased)

And there's your proof that Bachman is smarter than Palin.

I'm no fan of Bachman but this is no big deal. It was a silly mistake. She admits it. Done.

Yep. Well done, Michelle.

Premature congratulations. Just wait til she has to face the press and deal with the really tough questions like... "What newspapers do you read?" Then, she'll be up against it. No one can stand up to a question like that.

It's really kinda sad that Bachman's response deserves congratulations in these political times. It was an honest goof and the correct retraction/reaction. Admitting a mistake shouldn't earn a standing ovation.

Not sure if this is off topic, but Bachmann is as bad at Palin at this stuff. This comment may have just been a slip, or shown her lack of John Wayne knowledge (which is pretty useless), but she also fudged a lot of important stuff in her speech too.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/fact-checking-michele-bachmanns-announcement-speech-and-sunday-interviews/2011/06/27/AGMfj4nH_blog.html?hpid=z2

Premature congratulations. Just wait til she has to face the press and deal with the really tough questions like... "What newspapers do you read?" Then, she'll be up against it. No one can stand up to a question like that.

It's really kinda sad that Bachman's response deserves congratulations in these political times. It was an honest goof and the correct retraction/reaction. Admitting a mistake shouldn't earn a standing ovation.

You liberal troublemaker you....

Not worth starting another thread for. Just something I read this morning.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/fact-checking-michele-bachmanns-announcement-speech-and-sunday-interviews/2011/06/27/AGMfj4nH_blog.html?hpid=z2

Posted at 06:19 AM ET, 06/28/2011

Fact-checking Michele Bachmann’s announcement speech and Sunday interviews

By Glenn Kessler

“Of course a person has to be careful with statements that they make. I think that's true. And I think now there will be an opportunity to be able to speak fully on the issues. I look forward to that.”

— Rep. Michele Bachmann, responding to a question about being “a flake” on “Fox News Sunday,” June 26, 2011

Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), who on Monday formally announced her candidacy for the GOP presidential nomination, is a terrific public speaker with a long history of playing fast and loose with the facts. (For a list of our recent articles on Bachmann’s statements, click here.)

Monday’s address, given in Waterloo, Iowa, was mostly a vision statement, with only a few assertions worth double-checking. We will take a look of those — as well as more dubious statements she made on the Sunday morning news shows in advance of her speech.

Announcement speech, June 27

“Five decades ago in America, we had less debt that we have today. We had $300 billion or less in debt. A gallon of gasoline was 31 cents and owning a home was part of the American dream. Today, that debt stands at over $14 trillion. A gallon of gas is outrageously expensive and unfortunately, too many millions of Americans know what it is to have a home that's in foreclosure.”

Context matters a lot when you use numbers. In this case, Bachmann creates a false impression by using figures from a half-century ago without adjusting for inflation or other factors.

So, 31 cents in 1961 actually translates to about $2.25 in today’s dollars. That’s still cheaper than a gallon of gas today — about $3.64 nationwide — but not 10 times cheaper.

There’s a similar problem with Bachmann’s reference to $300 billion in national debt. That sounds puny compared to today’s $14 trillion in debt, but the right way to measure debt is as a percentage of the gross domestic product, which is the broadest measure of the nation’s economy.

According to the historical tables of the White House budget office (table 7.1), $300 billion was 55 percent of GDP in 1961.

As of June 23, the total debt was $14.34 trillion, according to the Treasury Department debt meter. Meanwhile, the

*Click Link For More*

That Liberal Truth #1 demotivational needs to be relabeled to reflect the fact that virtually every single campaign run by either party in my lifetime can be boiled down to that.

As far as I can tell, Barack Obama is the first president ever that has failed to live up to his campaign promises.

Agreed. Props.

(I also agree with the folks pointing out that it's kind of funny to be congratulating a public figure for not attempting to redefine reality rather than admit to not being perfect. But let's just say that when we're talking about politicians, we have to grade on a curve.)

Nice she admitted it.

She's still a loon that couldn't buy my vote.. but at least she's not going to try and out-stupid the Princess with gaffe coverups.

~Bang

Agreed. She should have handled the John Quincy Adams/Founding Fathers fighting against slavery goof the same way.

Bachmann: Well you know what’s marvelous is that in this country and under our constitution, we have the ability when we recognize that something is wrong to change it. And that’s what we did in our country. We changed it. We no longer have slavery. That’s a good thing. And what our Constitution has done for our nation is to give us the basis of freedom unparalleled in the rest of the world.

Stephanopoulos: I agree with that…

Bachmann: That’s what people want...they realize our government is taking away our freedom.

Stephanopoulos: But that’s not what you said. You said that the Founding Fathers worked tirelessly to end slavery.

Bachmann: Well if you look at one of our Founding Fathers, John Quincy Adams, that’s absolutely true. He was a very young boy when he was with his father serving essentially as his father’s secretary. He tirelessly worked throughout his life to make sure that we did in fact one day eradicate slavery...

Stephanopoulos: He wasn’t one of the Founding Fathers – he was a president, he was a Secretary of State, he was a member of Congress, you’re right he did work to end slavery decades later. But so you are standing by this comment that the Founding Fathers worked tirelessly to end slavery?

Agreed. She should have handled the John Quincy Adams/Founding Fathers fighting against slavery goof the same way.

It wasn't just the slavery part she got wrong. Right before making those comments on slavery, in the same speech, she said the follwing:

"How unique in all of the world, that one nation that was the resting point from people groups all across the world," she said. "It didn't matter the color of their skin, it didn't matter their language, it didn't matter their economic status."

"Once you got here, we were all the same. Isn't that remarkable?" she asked.

That is 3rd grade history. She might as well have told us about Washington and the cherry tree.

It wasn't just the slavery part she got wrong. Right before making those comments on slavery, in the same speech, she said the follwing:

"How unique in all of the world, that one nation that was the resting point from people groups all across the world," she said. "It didn't matter the color of their skin, it didn't matter their language, it didn't matter their economic status."

"Once you got here, we were all the same. Isn't that remarkable?" she asked.

That is 3rd grade history. She might as well have told us about Washington and the cherry tree.

I might be able to forgive that as campaign stump, rah rah. All politicians do a little bit of "Isn't America great!" and the idealized vision of the U.S. is part of it. How many of us quote that "all men are born equal" as a founding thought without batting an eye. It's not true... natives, blacks, and women certainly were not born equal for a long time and some cases are still struggling to gain equal footing today, but that is embedded in the spirit and ethos we strive for and think of when we think "America"

eh, nothing worse than gaffe's made by all politicians. Obama, Clinton, Biden, Palin...the list goes on and on.

Why do people expect a politician to know everything in the world and be perfect?

Archived