Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IP: The wrong John Wayne (Rep. Michele Bachmann messes up in Iowa).

JMS

PIck the hotter accused murderer  

52 members have voted

1. 1. PIck the hotter accused murderer

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2011/jun/27/the-wrong-john-wayne/

The wrong John Wayne

Rep. Michele Bachmann kicked off her presidential campaign on Monday in Waterloo, Iowa, and in one interview surrounding the official event she promised to mimic the spirit of Waterloo's own John Wayne.

The only problem, as one eagle-eyed reader notes: Waterloo's John Wayne was not the beloved movie star, but rather John Wayne Gacy, the serial killer.

Mrs. Bachmann grew up in Waterloo, and used the town as the backdrop for her campaign announcement, where she told Fox News: "Well what I want them to know is just like, John Wayne was from Waterloo, Iowa. That's the kind of spirit that I have, too." (

)

John Wayne, the movie legend, is in fact from Iowa and the John Wayne birthplace is a celebrated landmark — only it's in Winterset, which is a nearly three hour drive away from Waterloo.

Gacy, though, had his first taste of the criminal life in Waterloo, where he lived for a short time, and where he had his first criminal conviction for an attempted homosexual assault, which landed him in prison for 18 months.

He would move back to Illinois, where his killing spree started, and lasted about six years. In 1980 he was convicted on 33 counts of murder, and was executed in 1994

Ok, this really isn't the kind of gaffe that reveals that much. Bachmann should not be roasted for this the way Palin was roasted for all of her gaffes that show she has no understanding of history. Who the heck knows the life of John Wayne, and who cares if a candidate got Waterloo Iowa mixed up with Winterset Iowa.

On the other hand, it is kind of funny as heck that you can tie her to John Wayne Gacy from this gaffe. That's what you get when you try to pander to local voters so obviously, and compare yourself to the Spirit of John Wayne. Imagine her face when someone explained the problem to her. Running for President is a rough game. :ols:

Are you saying she killed it?

;)

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 11:52 AM ----------

Ok, this really isn't the kind of gaffe that reveals that much. Bachmann should not be roasted for this the way Palin was roasted for all of her gaffes that show she has no understanding of history. Who the heck knows the life of John Wayne, and who cares if a candidate got Waterloo Iowa mixed up with Winterset Iowa.

On the other hand, it is kind of funny as heck that you can tie her to John Wayne Gacy from this gaffe. I'magine her face when someone explained the problem to her. Running for President is a rough game. :ols:

Except....

Mrs. Bachmann grew up in Waterloo

It's amazing,, I can forgive that she doesn't know it, but doesn't anyone research anything before they give it to her to stand up and say?

You'd think that one would be pretty easy, eh?

That is a pretty funny one as far as gaffes go.

~Bang

On the other hand, it is kind of funny as heck that you can tie her to John Wayne Gacy from this gaffe. That's what you get when you try to pander to local voters so obviously, and compare yourself to the Spirit of John Wayne. Imagine her face when someone explained the problem to her. Running for President is a rough game. :ols:

It's amazing,, I can forgive that she doesn't know it, but doesn't anyone research anything before they give it to her to stand up and say?

You'd think that one would be pretty easy, eh?

That is a pretty funny one as far as gaffes go.

~Bang

Hilarious, but not damning. Much of what she has said has been much scarier from a political perspective, but not much has been funnier...

You guys are just disappointed tht Palin didn't say it, since you missed out on another Palin slug-fest thread of 45 pages :ols:

You guys are just disappointed tht Palin didn't say it, since you missed out on another Palin slug-fest thread of 45 pages :ols:

:ols:

The Princess probably just called her speech writers to make sure there weren't any serial killers named "George Washington"

~Bang

I actually dislike Bachmann much more than I dislike Palin. I would enjoy a Bachmann slugfest.

But Palin is definitely less intelligent than Bachmann, and Palin's repeated gaffes reveal the utter shallowness of her mind.

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 12:10 PM ----------

Bachman's backers are busily editing Gacy's Wiki page to show that he was a heroic, misunderstood serial killer, not your run-of-the-milll psychotic serial killer.

Lollerz!

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 12:19 PM ----------

Bachmann may be the single dumbest person in American politics at the moment.

Oh I disagree. Bachmann is borderline insane, but she is pretty clearly smarter than Palin from a pure intelligence/education point of view. Also probably smarter than Jim Bunning, or Cynthia McKinney, or Jim Inhofe, or Leland Yee (the guy from San Francisco who wrote the video game law that just got struck down).

But that's not very impressive company, I know.

I actually dislike Bachmann much more than I dislike Palin. I would enjoy a Bachmann slugfest.

But Palin is definitely less intelligent than Bachmann, and Palin's repeated gaffes reveal the utter shallowness of her mind.

I fear Bachmann more than I do Palin.

The new Rolling Stone has a Matt Taibbi piece on her that is pretty fantastic. She is probably 5 percent more loony than Palin maybe 10 percent "better educated" (thought I think Palin is actually smarter) and about 150 percent more driven. Palin gets bored with a bus trip; I can't picture her seriously campaining door to door in New Hampshire and Iowa in the snow. Bachmann would cross the desert without water if she thought God told her to do it.

Bachmann would cross the desert without water if she thought God told her to do it.

Absolutely not, because of course, being a GOP member, that means she is racist, so she would accuse illegal immigrants form Arizona of trying to kill her

"Well what I want them to know is just like, John Wayne was from Waterloo, Iowa. That's the kind of spirit that I have, too."

I see nothing at all discongruant between what she said and what she is trying to do to America. Every day as a politician she does indeed show that she has the spirit of John Wayne Gacy.

So what's the fuss. She meant what she said and she said what she meant.

Absolutely not, because of course, being a GOP member, that means she is racist, so she would accuse illegal immigrants form Arizona of trying to kill her

Is that the best you got? You aren't even trying anymore. :)

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 12:29 PM ----------

I fear Bachmann more than I do Palin.

The new Rolling Stone has a Matt Taibbi piece on her that is pretty fantastic. She is probably 5 percent more loony than Palin maybe 10 percent "better educated" (thought I think Palin is actually smarter) and about 150 percent more driven. Palin gets bored with a bus trip; I can't picture her seriously campaining door to door in New Hampshire and Iowa in the snow. Bachmann would cross the desert without water if she thought God told her to do it.

Totally agree, except on the "smarter" part. Palin is a clever self-promoter, but as far as understanding the intricacies of history, the economy, etc - forget it. Bachmann understands more - and wants to make much more henious changes.

Except....

Yeah, I noticed that, too.

It's one thing for some staffer to eff up with the cards he handed her.

But when the speech is in a town, and the purpose of the speech is to announce how much the candidate is in touch with the town's history, and her deep ties to the town . . .

----------

Still, it's funny. Looking forward to The Daily Show.

Yeah, I noticed that, too.

It's one thing for some staffer to eff up with the cards he handed her.

But when the speech is in a town, and the purpose of the speech is to announce how much the candidate is in touch with the town's history, and her deep ties to the town . . .

----------

Still, it's funny. Looking forward to The Daily Show.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Sure, I'd love any reason to jump all over her and laugh at a gaffe, and I'd agree that this wasn't anything spectacular under circumstances where she was campaigning in some podunk town and pandering down to the locals...

But this was her home town. And she didn't know that the John Wayne from that town was actually John Wayne Gacy. I know every famous person from my hometown. (There's only 2, but still... lol)

Archived