Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If convicted of Premeditated Murder, should Casey Anthony get the Death Penalty ?

Mickalino

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

nah, juries don't have to do that...well, unless a prosecutor pointing out all the holes in someone's testimony is considered being "proven otherwise", that is. Juries always have to determine if someone's testimony can be trusted. But it's rare when someone's testimony isn't put under a microscope by the opposing attorney, though.
Nope. Not at all. Witness credibility is an issue for the jury to decide.

Copy that and thanks, Gents.

Can killing the murderer bring that little girl back to life?

If it can, then I will change my view and support the death penalty.

I never said you should change your view Predicto. I understand your point of view. I don't agree with it but I understand it. To me, it's different. I look at it as if your just putting down a vicious animal. I would lose zero sleep over it.

She said she intended to search for Chloryphyll, but instead clicked on Chloroform. That's stumbling.

I believe she said she did conduct a search for chloroform. The prosecution in their cross examination offered that "how to make chloroform" was typed into the search engine. Those exact words were found by computer forensics investigators. The password issue was really not clearly addressed by the prosecution either IMO. Basically it was offered by the computer investigators that it depends on the settings of the computer and they left it at that. They did not say a password was needed in their investigation. I don't think either side is blowing anyone away personally and there is nothing conclusively linking Casey to her daughters death. What will hurt them is the taped phone conversations in jail by Casey and her obvious very questionable behavior during the time her daughter was reported missing. I think she's guillty too, but in no way has the prosecution done enough to warrant a jury sending her to death IMO.

Can killing the murderer bring that little girl back to life?

If it can, then I will change my view and support the death penalty.

A little off topic, but I read a really interesting thesis my senior year where the author had 2 reasons he could ever support the death penalty (and he was pro-death penalty). For the life of me I cannot remember the second one, but the first one was if the person is beyond repair and in no way could be rehabilitated

EDIT: The second one was if the person could not contribute anything positive to society, which is admittedly subjective.

would you feel the same if the person you were closest too was murdered.

I'd like to think so, but I don't know for sure if I am that strong. I hope I never have to find out. I doubt I would be able to think rationally.

---------- Post added June-24th-2011 at 03:36 PM ----------

I think he would and is the only poster on this entire forum (save for possibly one or two others) I would actually believe that of.

Wow. Thank you.

No death penalty. For purely fiscal reasons, it costs millions of dollars, with taxpayers picking up the bill for both sides.

There are lesser included offenses in play. I think she should get first degree but not capital murder. She needs to be sentenced to life w/o parole. Let her sit and rot instead of loosing her onto the public ever again.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

As an investigator, I will just say this, knowing someone is guilty and proving it are two totally different things. I would be surprised if she is convicted. Its a tough case which is why it has take so long.

Guest Spearfeather

While over time, I've become less and less in favor of the death penalty, if she did it, she definately deserves it.

Imagine what was going on inside the head of that little girl, when whatever happened to her, happened to her.

I imagine it was a sickening mixture of fear and confusion.

No. I oppose the death penalty in all cases.

What if the only other alternative is "life"? (and I mean "life" in the sense that she will live the rest of her life in prison, regardless of how many "terms of life" that may be)

If she's convicted, and given "life" in prison, she's going to jail as a convicted killer (of her own daughter). I can't imagine to many women in prison are going to look kindly on that. The hell that she will probably live for her remaining days, is probably something you nor I would ever want to experience.

A part of me thinks the other alternative may be the more humane thing to do.

I voted undecided because I really don't know much about the case but if she did it, she deserves to die.

I agree that she "deserves" to die. But that's not the issue for me. I don't think the state should have the moral authority to kill her, or anyone else.

---------- Post added June-24th-2011 at 06:07 PM ----------

What if the only other alternative is "life"? (and I mean "life" in the sense that she will live the rest of her life in prison, regardless of how many "terms of life" that may be)

If she's convicted, and given "life" in prison, she's going to jail as a convicted killer (of her own daughter). I can't imagine to many women in prison are going to look kindly on that. The hell that she will probably live for her remaining days, is probably something you nor I would ever want to experience.

A part of me thinks the other alternative may be the more humane thing to do.

I don't know. Seems like a rationalization to me. But even if it were accurate, my concern is with my Government, and with what it should be permitted to do, and what it should never be permitted to do. My limited government needs to protect its citizens, but it should never take a life unless it absolutely has to. I don't see any way that death is not the ultimate in a cruel and unusual punishment, no matter what crimes you may have committed.

(Of course, this ignores all of my other objections, such as the well-documented practical problems with imposing the death penalty fairly, its tremendous cost and burden on the appellate courts, its uselessness as a crime deterrent, and the fact that you can't undo a death sentence once wrongly imposed, and so on...).

Archived