Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question For Those Who Consider Themselves To Be On The Right

Hubbs

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The deficit is going to be something like $1.6 trillion this year. Let's say it will be similar for the next few years. (The CBO projects that it won't be, but the CBO relies on rose-colored glasses on top of rose-colored glasses.)

If it was politically possible to, say, remove that 1 from the number with spending cuts, but absolutely no deal could be reached to eliminate the last $600 billion with spending cuts, and you had to vote to either raise taxes to cover the $600 billion or vote to keep going $600 billion further into debt every year for the foreseeable future, which would you choose?

In that specific scenario, I have no issue with raising taxes. I'd like to see them raised in terms of sales tax, or a decrease in deductions, or closing of loopholes. But if we can actually get to that point, that would be the obvious and prudent step.

It would also have to have an end date and a mechanism to prevent spending from going ape**** again.

I am a just right of center guy, but very right when it comes to fiscal policy. I think Congress should grow a pair and implement a National Debt tax. This tax would be invisible to the budget. Every penny goes straight to reducing the debt. 1% for everyone under $250K, 2% for everyone over $250K. Any business grossing over $10M pays 5%, under $10M pays 3%. No deductions from this tax. No loopholes. When the debt is eliminated, these taxes disappear and there will be law requiring the govt to be even or run a surplus.

Yes, my plan will piss of both sides. That means it is a good plan. If either side leaves happy, it ain't really a compromise.

There needs to be deficit targets which if not reached automatically enact cuts and raise tax revenue. Just raising taxes never works because the vote ends up being so tight lawmakers wrangle for pork projects in exchange for a Yes vote. I want higher tax revenues by eliminating more deductions/subsidies which does not incur the economic disincentives of higher rates.

I am a just right of center guy, but very right when it comes to fiscal policy. I think Congress should grow a pair and implement a National Debt tax. This tax would be invisible to the budget. Every penny goes straight to reducing the debt. 1% for everyone under $250K, 2% for everyone over $250K. Any business grossing over $10M pays 5%, under $10M pays 3%. No deductions from this tax. No loopholes. When the debt is eliminated, these taxes disappear and there will be law requiring the govt to be even or run a surplus.

Yes, my plan will piss of both sides. That means it is a good plan. If either side leaves happy, it ain't really a compromise.

I could deal with that.

While it does go against some of my libertarian principals, I'm willing to put them aside for something like this.

Nation first, then party. Sometimes, we have to put some of our philosophical beliefs aside for the good of the nation. I think this is one of those times.

I think it's a fine idea.

I could even get behind a tagalong to the sales tax.... add a 1% National Debt surcharge to any sales taxes with every penny going to the debt would be fine by me.

Something has to be done. Wringing our hands and arguing about how we got here is pointless anymore. Time for action.

~Bang

Typical liberal speak. See, you need to cut down the amount of words you write before you increase the content of each post. One paragraph is too much and only shows liberal elitism; once you get each post down to one sentence, then we can talk about increasing content.

LOL< you do understand that few would call Hubbs a modern "liberal". YOu couldnt be more off if you tried.

---------- Post added June-17th-2011 at 04:44 PM ----------

While not my ideal (and nothing ever is), I can see a lot of value in this innovative idea.

While it does go against some of my libertarian principals, I'm willing to put them aside for something like this.

Nation first, then party. Sometimes, we have to put some of our philosophical beliefs aside for the good of the nation. I think this is one of those times.

Nation first, then family, then friends, then community, and then party. :)

As a fiscal conservative (though I'm not far right) I believe the debt simply has to be addressed if we're going to have any success here. Taxes naturally need to be raised AND entitlements pared back and tweaked. It's incredible to me how intractable change seems to be for both our parties now and really, our society. We have a populace that wants to rein in debt so long as none of their benefits are touched. I keep wondering when the riots of Greece come here.

How about doing the reverse Steve Forbes flat tax idea. For the next 20 years, cut spending across the board by ____%. Keep the tax rate as is. Reserve the right (of course) to deviate from this policy in emergencies (sort of like how the constitution can be amended). This may be impossible to pull of with all the red-tape involved, but its interesting to think about. How would our nation look in 20 years after ___% in spending?

How about doing the reverse Steve Forbes flat tax idea. For the next 20 years, cut spending across the board by ____%. Keep the tax rate as is. Reserve the right (of course) to deviate from this policy in emergencies (sort of like how the constitution can be amended). This may be impossible to pull of with all the red-tape involved, but its interesting to think about. How would our nation look in 20 years after ___% in spending?

While I definitely appreciate the thoughts, unfortunately I feel its probably too late now for that. I cant think of another rational approach beyond dramatic spending cuts, especially cuts around duplicative programs a (including state/federal duplication) and then filling the remaining gap with some tax increases. I'd rather those be taxes of the non-income type, but I could even except those if the right levels of spending cuts are enacted.

LOL< you do understand that few would call Hubbs a modern "liberal". YOu couldnt be more off if you tried.

Yeah, that one went over your head. Others were claiming this was some kind of liberal "gotcha" question, thus my assertion that Hubbs was a liberal trying to confuse people by writing a paragraph instead of a sentence.

'd like to see them raised in terms of sales tax,

Just saying that these taxes would be extremely regressive. 1 penny for a person making 30 or 40k is different than a person making 1 million. I like the idea but it would need to be progressive to actually be fair and useful.

I don't know about you all but I'd guess for most of us in our own personal budgets, we find ways to increase our income and reduce our spending. I expect the Government to do the same.

Think of wars as "entitlements."

I couldnt agree more

---------- Post added June-17th-2011 at 05:37 PM ----------

Yeah, that one went over your head. Others were claiming this was some kind of liberal "gotcha" question, thus my assertion that Hubbs was a liberal trying to confuse people by writing a paragraph instead of a sentence.

Just saying that these taxes would be extremely regressive. 1 penny for a person making 30 or 40k is different than a person making 1 million. I like the idea but it would need to be progressive to actually be fair and useful.

dangit! stupid broken sarcasm meter here! sorry for misunderstanding

Archived