Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seeking professional advice...

TheGoodBits

I seriously doubt she works 20 hours a day. Sounds like another case of "when i was your age..."

There's no doubt. Just look at her posting history for the past 2 weeks alone. See how frequently she posts.... which also includes "reading" replies and threads before she posts. Then include sleep, eating/drinking, cooking/phone/travel/showering, etc...

I'm not sure why she needed to exaggerate to make a point.

To sum up my situation, my job sucks and I hate it.

I have been with the company for over a year, in my current position for only a few weeks. My position is very stressful and requires long hours, these days 10-11 hours in the office each day. I'm sick of it and I want out.

I've been applying to jobs like crazy, and I'm just waiting to hear back from ANY of them. My question is whether it is the right thing to do to continue working without giving anyone a heads up that I'm hopefully leaving soon. It's a small company that does roughly 60% of its business in august and September, so losing me right before busy season would be a pretty significant hit and leave them short staffed.

I don't want to be in the situation though where I have not found a job yet and have them know I'm trying to leave. I feel like it would be awkward. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I would be happy to expand on this if you need some clarification.

On a related note, is anyone in the dc area hiring?

I say stay, unless you have something really good lined up. Suck it up until the busy season has ended. Getting a job now is hard as **** (just look at these boards on a day to day basis. Extremeskins members are hurting, some are even homeless ). I had to go back to school, because I haven't found **** since I graduated in 2008. Wanna switch? =).....Did you at least approach your boss and talk to him or her about?

Buck up, youngster! I'm almost 60 and right now is my busy season and I'm working 2 different projects and I'm working about 20 hours per day.

I have absolutely no sympathy for you.

LOL working 20 hours per day is pretty stupid and down right ridiculous, and probably not true. Sounds like a whinny baby boomber =)

Two weeks notice is all you owe anyone in todays business climate. It's mercenary, take care of yourself, cause your company won't.

I agree with this, most states are fire at will states, where you don't have to give a reason for firing someone. With workers rights under assault in this country, you don't owe them anything if they haven't been treating you right.

Every job is different. As an employer who feels that he treats his employees very fairly, I would want 2 weeks notice. If it was a particularly distracting employee, I would tell them to hit the road immediately. If it was a good employee, I would do all I could to retain them.

You must decide what type of relationship you have with your employer. If it's not good, generally you are both at fault. All that said, if you are just testing the waters, I do not think it wise to inform your current company.

My wife is a recruiter for a big government contractor, she says all the time that it's way easier to get hired if you currently HAVE a job. Quitting first raises all kinds of red flags. You certainly do NOT want to be without a job in today's job climate.

And i agree with SHF and others. Working 10+ hours a day is crazy unless you are working towards a long-term goal. If you are grinding just to grind, GTFO.

There's no doubt. Just look at her posting history for the past 2 weeks alone. See how frequently she posts.... which also includes "reading" replies and threads before she posts. Then include sleep, eating/drinking, cooking/phone/travel/showering, etc...

I'm not sure why she needed to exaggerate to make a point.

I work from home. I finished at 3:30am this morning and had con calls starting at 8:30am which I had to get and prepare for at 8:00am. I worked all day and into the night. I take breaks because I am writing and reviewing other people's work so I have apply much concentration, so what?

For LSF, I can believe 20 hours a day at peak times since she works in proposals. A deadline is a deadline. I have gotten up to 17-18 for short spurts when deadlines are near

Well, if you work 20 hours once or twice I can see that on a project. But working 20 hours a day consistently will catch up with you and burn you out. Also, your quality of work will suffer.

As an employer I disagree.

I treat my employees like queens.

For every ten, I get one who is an all-star, one who is a slouch, and a couple that work me for every penny.

This over exaggeration that employers are evil and workers are phenomenal has to stop.

I have very few that go above and beyond and few that are under achievers. On average, most are nothing more than....average.

Save it.

I'm sure you do. There are a few good, decent employers out there that try to treat their employees like human beings. However, just like the all-star employee, employers like you and IMHO my wife are very much the exception to the rule.

Even so, if things go bad who's going to get laid off, you or an employee? And if you have a personal issue with an employee no matter how productive, who's going to get the axe, you or the employee? Who gets the majority of the profits (if there are any), you or the employees?

Don't get me wrong, all of that is ok in my book. Those are some of the advantages that come with the responsibility of being the owner, i.e. the one who has to risk capital and bust his arse to make sure the work is done and the client is satisfied--no matter what. I see that firsthand when my wife doesn't get home until 8 or 9 most nights and sometimes not at all if she has a critical deadline. So yes, I do understand the employer's side of things.

Even so employers gave up the "right" to expect loyalty from employees when they started offloading costs that business used to bear like insurance and pensions to employees. I understand the financial realities from their side. However as an employee there are financial realities from my side too. After all, if I'm now more individually at risk for my own retirement and healthcare, then I have to consistently do everything in my power to maximize my earnings and benefits. Given those realities from the employee side, I don't see anything wrong with that either. So it's not that anyone thinks every employee is awesome, it's just the nature of the beast so to speak.

i work in the IT field and love my job. seriously. I wake up everyday happy and excited to go to work. It's rarely the same thing daily - because you can always learn something new if you really want to dive into it. Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life. I feel for you because you hate your job. Do yourself a favor and get out as soon as possible. You'll feel so much better and when you look back and realize that you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Too many people wake up and go to work hating what they do and it can trickle into your everyday interactions with friends, spouses, etc. Take care of yourself and quit once you find something else!

PS: if you were in IT I would try to find you a position sorry I don't have more relevant advice about your current situation but I wish you luck!

Do you hate the work, or are you just working too many hours? If the latter, you might want to ask your boss about reducing your hours/responsibilities.

And I disagree with LSF, lifes too short to work crazy hours.

i agree with this, but i understand what LSF is saying. i'd also like to add onto that life's too short to work a job you don't like. don't say a word, keep on looking, you'll be fine. 22 is the age you want to be looking for a job, not 42. find something you like now that works for you, don't wait until you're older to do it.

---------- Post added June-15th-2011 at 12:05 PM ----------

Two weeks notice is all you owe anyone in todays business climate. It's mercenary, take care of yourself, cause your company won't.

very very very very true

Even so, if things go bad who's going to get laid off, you or an employee? And if you have a personal issue with an employee no matter how productive, who's going to get the axe, you or the employee? Who gets the majority of the profits (if there are any), you or the employees?

If the business goes south who loses their shirt? When payday comes, who has to worry about having the money in the bank when paying the employees? When vendors don't pay and money has to be borrowed to make payroll, who has the burden of getting a line of credit to make sure money keeps flowing? Who had to take a huge cut in pay in the early years to get business off the ground?

When EVERY year I get hit with 20-30% increases in health insurance costs, who should foot that bill? Any idea what costs are for group family health insurance? Multiply that by 10, 20, 30, 1000 employees. Then add 20-30% increase. It's not a pretty number.

Overgeneralization of employers and owners getting filthy rich is tiring. Business fail all the time, and it's because of inability to control overhead.

As expenses grow, employees have to bear some of the burden. The employers bear it.

OK Chip I hate to repeat myself but....

Don't get me wrong, all of that is ok in my book. Those are some of the advantages that come with the responsibility of being the owner, i.e. the one who has to risk capital and bust his arse to make sure the work is done and the client is satisfied--no matter what. I see that firsthand when my wife doesn't get home until 8 or 9 most nights and sometimes not at all if she has a critical deadline. So yes, I do understand the employer's side of things.

So I'm well aware of the financial risks as well as the other issues you mentioned. My wife and I talk about various overhead costs all the time. She does provide health coverage for her employees and you're right about the spiraling costs to employers for health insurance.

Like you, we're not getting rich either. In fact I have counseled my wife on more than one occasion to fold it up and go get a nice in-house gig somewhere. She's had her offers but she likes her independence and wonder of wonders, she feels a responsibility to her employees. So no, I don't see employers as the debil. As I said before, it's nothing personal, simply a matter of doing what's best for you and your family.

OK Chip I hate to repeat myself but....

So I'm well aware of the financial risks as well as the other issues you mentioned. My wife and I talk about various overhead costs all the time. She does provide health coverage for her employees and you're right about the spiraling costs to employers for health insurance.

Like you, we're not getting rich either. In fact I have counseled my wife on more than one occasion to fold it up and go get a nice in-house gig somewhere. She's had her offers but she likes her independence and wonder of wonders, she feels a responsibility to her employees. So no, I don't see employers as the debil. As I said before, it's nothing personal, simply a matter of doing what's best for you and your family.

Oh I know, that wasn't really directed at you.

There are so many business owners folding up shop, it's not like everyone is getting rich off of employees.

Owning a business is hard work, and the financial fail falls on your shoulders. Also the stress of making payroll sometimes is great. I try and do good by my employees, frankly I am embarrassed how some try and take advantage of me.

A lot of people with a sense of entitlement in tough times.

If I had a company of employees who hustled like I do, I would be a wealthy man. Truth is most struggle to make their 40 and don't want to be bothered after hours.

As an employer I disagree.

I treat my employees like queens.

For every ten, I get one who is an all-star, one who is a slouch, and a couple that work me for every penny.

This over exaggeration that employers are evil and workers are phenomenal has to stop.

I have very few that go above and beyond and few that are under achievers. On average, most are nothing more than....average.

Save it.

I am sure that the employess would agree that you are King. I have been the BOSS dog for a bunch of companies chip so don't tell me to save it. It goes both ways, but the loyalty is great if you have some employer that is an actual visionary. Sadly they are few and far between. And maybe you should have read aliltte deeper into my posts and you would realize that I have the greatest boss of them all, myself. I can't quit, I can't get fired and I absolutely must produce to succeed. Get off the tread mill and live before your dead.

---------- Post added June-15th-2011 at 11:27 PM ----------

Oh I know, that wasn't really directed at you.

There are so many business owners folding up shop, it's not like everyone is getting rich off of employees.

Owning a business is hard work, and the financial fail falls on your shoulders. Also the stress of making payroll sometimes is great. I try and do good by my employees, frankly I am embarrassed how some try and take advantage of me.

A lot of people with a sense of entitlement in tough times.

If I had a company of employees who hustled like I do, I would be a wealthy man. Truth is most struggle to make their 40 and don't want to be bothered after hours.

because you are treating them like queens, hasaasaaa sorry bro, this is not smacking of reality.

---------- Post added June-15th-2011 at 11:29 PM ----------

Nobody is retarded but people are lazy, and you can make money off challenged people both horizontally and vertically. You'll never have the means unless you step out and take a risk and put in the effort to see it through. Failure teaches you what not to do the next time, not doing anything teaches you to not do anything. Surely you'll succeed at either one.

Still stand by this post.

---------- Post added June-15th-2011 at 11:31 PM ----------

You flipping burgers?

Cutting grass?

Telemarketer?

No. He is one of the underachiever queens.

---------- Post added June-15th-2011 at 11:34 PM ----------

Then figure out how to do it for yourself, seriously. Don't work twenty hours doing something for someone else or ten for that matter. Work ten when you want and are rewarded or don't go to work at all some days and sit around on ES in your underwear. Self employed and loving it.

And I still stand by this post, this after a 10 hour day of labor of love and a very profitable day. Vacation in two weeks, yeah.

I work from home. I finished at 3:30am this morning and had con calls starting at 8:30am which I had to get and prepare for at 8:00am. I worked all day and into the night. I take breaks because I am writing and reviewing other people's work so I have apply much concentration, so what?

I have a 12 inch johnson... I enjoy sex with my wife every night... my wife is a super model... and I make $50k/day.

It's the internet. So what?

I am sure that the employess would agree that you are King. I have been the BOSS dog for a bunch of companies chip so don't tell me to save it. It goes both ways, but the loyalty is great if you have some employer that is an actual visionary. Sadly they are few and far between. And maybe you should have read aliltte deeper into my posts and you would realize that I have the greatest boss of them all, myself. I can't quit, I can't get fired and I absolutely must produce to succeed. Get off the tread mill and live before your dead.

No but when you got laid off, you weren't invaluable to the company, but you could have made yourself that way. Hence save it.

Employers don't lay off invaluable employees, unless they are going under.

because you are treating them like queens, hasaasaaa sorry bro, this is not smacking of reality.

No because I work in a competitive industry, where I have to treat my employees well. Those industries are few and far between, but thats what I am in.

To sum up my situation, my job sucks and I hate it.

I have been with the company for over a year, in my current position for only a few weeks. My position is very stressful and requires long hours, these days 10-11 hours in the office each day. I'm sick of it and I want out.

I've been applying to jobs like crazy, and I'm just waiting to hear back from ANY of them. My question is whether it is the right thing to do to continue working without giving anyone a heads up that I'm hopefully leaving soon. It's a small company that does roughly 60% of its business in august and September, so losing me right before busy season would be a pretty significant hit and leave them short staffed.

I don't want to be in the situation though where I have not found a job yet and have them know I'm trying to leave. I feel like it would be awkward. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I would be happy to expand on this if you need some clarification.

I know I've recently asked for job advice on here, but I like to think I can dish some out, too.

1. Never tell your current boss you are job hunting.

2. Never quit your current job until you have something else lined up.

3. Be patient, persistent, and creative. Make sure you are considering all kinds of jobs - gov't, private, nonprofit, contracting, etc - and make sure you are pursuing them through a variety of avenues. Craigslist, Idealist, and Monster are all great and everyone knows about them. See if your college has some kind of online job board or even an alumni group in your area you could network with. Research stuff online - find associations related to your field and check their websites for job boards. Set up some informational interviews with orgs which may not have jobs advertised, but that you're interested in.

I'm starting a new job in two weeks and I found it through my grad program's job board. I also have another tentative offer for a job I found on Idealist. So know that something will come up, but it will probably take a little while. It took more than a month from the time I submitted my apps to when I got my offers for both jobs.

Archived