Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seeking professional advice...

TheGoodBits

To sum up my situation, my job sucks and I hate it.

I have been with the company for over a year, in my current position for only a few weeks. My position is very stressful and requires long hours, these days 10-11 hours in the office each day. I'm sick of it and I want out.

I've been applying to jobs like crazy, and I'm just waiting to hear back from ANY of them. My question is whether it is the right thing to do to continue working without giving anyone a heads up that I'm hopefully leaving soon. It's a small company that does roughly 60% of its business in august and September, so losing me right before busy season would be a pretty significant hit and leave them short staffed.

I don't want to be in the situation though where I have not found a job yet and have them know I'm trying to leave. I feel like it would be awkward. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I would be happy to expand on this if you need some clarification.

On a related note, is anyone in the dc area hiring?

You are 22 and don't like working 10-11 hours per day. You would be better served to finish out the busy season (no beach time for you) and then look for a job. You don't have to tell your present job you are looking. Or maybe if you do, they'll fire you and get someone who will work hard for them through the busy season. And then you'll be stuck looking for a job without having a job. Employers only like to hire the employed, ask anyone who's been on unemployment for a while.

Buck up, youngster! I'm almost 60 and right now is my busy season and I'm working 2 different projects and I'm working about 20 hours per day.

I have absolutely no sympathy for you.

You are 22 and don't like working 10-11 hours per day. You would be better served to finish out the busy season (no beach time for you) and then look for a job. You don't have to tell your present job you are looking. Or maybe if you do, they'll fire you and get someone who will work hard for them through the busy season. And then you'll be stuck looking for a job without having a job. Employers only like to hire the employed, ask anyone who's been on unemployment for a while.

Buck up, youngster! I'm almost 60 and right now is my busy season and I'm working 2 different projects and I'm working about 20 hours per day.

Jesus. Remind me to never make LSF mad. :paranoid:

LOL, I will have to show this to my 16 year old. I try and tell her a job isn't all it's cracked up to be :ols: Figure out how to pave our own path ;)

No offense, but working 20 hours a day is pretty dumb (on so many levels).

Do you hate the work, or are you just working too many hours? If the latter, you might want to ask your boss about reducing your hours/responsibilities.

And I disagree with LSF, lifes too short to work crazy hours.

Both unfortunately... And reduced hours/responsibility isn't an option.

And I agree with your thought about life being too short. I hate getting home at night and only having a few short hours to enjoy time before I have to go to bed.

Both unfortunately... And reduced hours/responsibility isn't an option.

And I agree with your thought about life being too short. I hate getting home at night and only having a few short hours to enjoy time before I have to go to bed.

You flipping burgers?

Cutting grass?

Telemarketer?

I also feel I need to expand a little more on my career path and goals. I have no clue what I want to be doing 5 or 10 years from now. What I do know is that I do not want to be with this current organization. And my position is REALLY specific, so basically the further I go with them the bigger a pay cut I'm going to have to take to go back to an entry level position. That's why I want to get this out of the way ASAP instead of sticking it out for awhile. So at least in a new job I will be building specific skills and knowledge that will help me down the road.

---------- Post added June-14th-2011 at 10:22 PM ----------

Someone is making money off of your hard labor :)

Oh they certainly are :)

Someone is making money off of your hard labor :)
I also feel I need to expand a little more on my career path and goals. I have no clue what I want to be doing 5 or 10 years from now. What I do know is that I do not want to be with this current organization. And my position is REALLY specific, so basically the further I go with them the bigger a pay cut I'm going to have to take to go back to an entry level position. That's why I want to get this out of the way ASAP instead of sticking it out for awhile. So at least in a new job I will be building specific skills and knowledge that will help me down the road.

---------- Post added June-14th-2011 at 10:22 PM ----------

Oh they certainly are :)

Then figure out how to do it for yourself, seriously. Don't work twenty hours doing something for someone else or ten for that matter. Work ten when you want and are rewarded or don't go to work at all some days and sit around on ES in your underwear. Self employed and loving it.

Then figure out how to do it for yourself, seriously. Don't work twenty hours doing something for someone else or ten for that matter. Work ten when you want and are rewarded or don't go to work at all some days and sit around on ES in your underwear. Self employed and loving it.

I'd love to. I've told myself repeatedly that I'm moving on my next good idea. I've had some over the last couple years but never had the means. But not doing the same thing I'm doing now, it a stupid business model that exists solely because people who work in govt contracting are retarded and lazy.

I know about government e-procurement, I work on the contractor side, proposals. And yes it's hectic and long hours. Think of it this way, end of government fiscal year is September 30th. Then it slows down. I like how the government always releases its RFPs right before a major holiday and then proposal due dates are right after a major holiday. If they time it right, they can hit multiple holidays with just one procurement.

I've been doing this for 30 years. But I have a talent for what I do, I'm well paid and I always work nights, weekends and holidays. The only difference the last 10 years has been that I'm self-employed so I can take breaks after a proposal effort, if I've made enough money to cover all my financial obligations.

So if you don't like your job, go get another one. Also, just so you know, employers don't give negative references anymore due to lawsuits. However, when I check candidates' references (when I was a hiring manager) I can tell more about a candidate by what NOT is said than what is actually said. If a management reference is enthusiastic, talks about what the candidate brought to the table, then I have some confidence. It it's a hohum reference, then I know that candidate has some problems.

I'd love to. I've told myself repeatedly that I'm moving on my next good idea. I've had some over the last couple years but never had the means. But not doing the same thing I'm doing now, it a stupid business model that exists solely because people who work in govt contracting are retarded and lazy.

Don't underestimate the skill you are learning. It also could pay dividends for you in the future.

Check LadySkinsFan post.

I worked for some bad people, now I work for myself. Everything I learned along the way got me to where I am.

Gov e-procurement can be very lucrative.

Yep! If my yearly business model works right, I make 6 figures and work about 6 months a year. A hard six months but I get a lot of free time too. My plan this year tops out the end of July, so I can either work or have time to myself the rest of the year. For example, I'm already taking my self-imposed vacation in August and maybe September.

Nobody is retarded but people are lazy, and you can make money off challenged people both horizontally and vertically. You'll never have the means unless you step out and take a risk and put in the effort to see it through. Failure teaches you what not to do the next time, not doing anything teaches you to not do anything. Surely you'll succeed at either one.

Two weeks notice is all you owe anyone in todays business climate. It's mercenary, take care of yourself, cause your company won't.

Amen to that! There is no more loyalty from businesses to their employees. You are just a body in a seat, and they can always fill it if they want to with someone else. And they don't owe you any notice or explanation. Welcome to the "at will" employment model. Of course, you can leave anytime without any notice either, but businesses look down on that.

Two weeks notice is all you owe anyone in todays business climate. It's mercenary, take care of yourself, cause your company won't.

Horsehockey, you owe nobody two weeks of anything, unless you agreed to it. Would a business give you two weeks if they had a critical error in accounting and had to let you go? In todays business climate, in fact nearly ten years ago I went to work one day and they were moving my desk out of my office, ten minutes later I counted myself lucky to have a severance check in hand. Of course that was no comfort to my pregnant wife in a new house.

Don't tell your employers you are looking, you could get hosed.

I was in a similar situation last year, hated my job, wasn't my area of expertise, worked overtime, got yelled at on a daily basis by the doctor and patients...it was the most ****ed up work environment I've ever been involved in. Thing is, I needed the money and jobs were scarce. So I kept looking out for jobs and applying, and when I finally was offered a job in my field, I gave my boss my two weeks' notice and got the hell out of there. I still have days where I'm working really long hours at my current job, but I enjoy it and the pay is much better...and I'm never yelled at :)

Bottom line: keep aggressively applying to positions and stay mum to your employers.

Just a few points:

A lot depends on whether you hate the work you're doing or the long hours. If it's the former, you need to make plans to find something else to do. Life is too short to do a job you hate unless it absolutely can't be helped.

You need to figure out what you actually do want to be doing. Until you figure that out you're best served by not making too many moves. Also important, figure out the kinds of things you hate about a job. You'll gain nothing by jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

As previously mentioned, you owe nothing to your employer other than an honest days work. They care nothing about you and the reverse should be true as well...nothing personal, just business. If you find a better opportunity, give them their two weeks and hit the door without regard to whether it's their busy season or not. That's just not your problem. If their work slowed down you'd probably be lucky to get two weeks notice before they laid you off.

Finally, my Dad used to say there's a sameness to all work. I didn't figure out what he meant until I'd worked in a career gig for a few years. His point was that there are precious few jobs where someone is paid to have fun. That's why it's called "work". :) So by definition there's going to be some blood, sweat, and tears involved at least part of the time.

Horsehockey, you owe nobody two weeks of anything, unless you agreed to it. Would a business give you two weeks if they had a critical error in accounting and had to let you go? In todays business climate, in fact nearly ten years ago I went to work one day and they were moving my desk out of my office, ten minutes later I counted myself lucky to have a severance check in hand. Of course that was no comfort to my pregnant wife in a new house.

As an employer I disagree.

I treat my employees like queens.

For every ten, I get one who is an all-star, one who is a slouch, and a couple that work me for every penny.

This over exaggeration that employers are evil and workers are phenomenal has to stop.

I have very few that go above and beyond and few that are under achievers. On average, most are nothing more than....average.

Save it.

Archived