Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Jim Haslett describes Albert Haynesworth in a nutshell: “He doesn’t want to do anything

authentic

What would Rocky Net us just out of curiosity? 4th?

from wiki: Compensatory picks: In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of 32 picks awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").

Car- lost Peepers and received pick #97 and took DT Fua. So a 4th is proabaly reasonable.

BTW, wasn't it Vinny who put this pathetic contract together?

I'm sure he was the one who did the 'negotiating' with the agent over what the contract should include. One last gasp of his legacy of ineptitude. **** you, Vinny.

Gibbs would've sent this guy packing during training camp. Shanahan is just so stubborn.. geesh!

As a leader of men, Shanahan has to stay true to his principles. Maybe he is stubborn, but that has nothing to do with it. It would have been a grave mistake to cut Al last year, or trade him. You do that, and you tell the rest of the league and the team you can still come to Washington, get paid, and not be held accountable for your actions or poor play. You just have to push it to the breaking point. Well Shanny did not break. Al is still here.

With that said, it would have been interesting to see what Gibbs would have done with him. I doubt it would have been cutting or trading him. Not right away anyhow.

How about all of his fault. He has a $100 million contract. He should play what he is told and do it to the best of his ability. No more excuses for this guy. I applaud Shanny for hold Fat Al accountable. That is what this franchise has been missing since Gibbs II. No way the Skins should have cut him last year and let him go win with another team on the Skins dime. Shanny did not sign Fat Al. They were going to pay him guaranteed money anyway because of Vinny. I do agree now that his contract has fell off a cliff as far as annual salary he should be cut.

So you honestly believe that Shanny has no blame in this? What do you think would of happened if Shanny let Al practice once he showed up to training camp? Once he showed up he didnt make any controversial comments, he said he wanted to play ball, Had Shanny let him practice with the team then this circus doesnt happen. How can you people not realize that? The BS conditioning test fanned the flames to the fire and it just got out of control after that.

Like I said Al def deserves blame, he should go out and do whatever the coaches tell him to do, but atleast be real with yourself and admit that Shanny has some blame in this too.

So you honestly believe that Shanny has no blame in this? What do you think would of happened if Shanny let Al practice once he showed up to training camp? Once he showed up he didnt make any controversial comments, he said he wanted to play ball, Had Shanny let him practice with the team then this circus doesnt happen. How can you people not realize that? The BS conditioning test fanned the flames to the fire and it just got out of control after that.

Like I said Al def deserves blame, he should go out and do whatever the coaches tell him to do, but atleast be real with yourself and admit that Shanny has some blame in this too.

LOL, no, not at all, man. Shanahan established that this team is a no bull**** team and did it in an incredible way. The entire locker room and entire league know that if you are an asshat, Haynesworth, or are too stubborn to change, McNabb, then you are not good enough to be on this team.

I don't understand how anyone cannot understand at this point that Haynesworth didn't want to do anything at all. Do you remember WHEN he showed up, by the way? Do you remember when literally EVERY OTHER PLAYER showed up?

I can't believe that people are still defending Haynesworth. It really blows my mind.

If I ever saw this guy in person ... I would tell him straight to his face ... you sir, are a piece of xxxx

He would just sit on you it would be all over. Did you see how much the field sunk when he fell over against the Eagles and just laid there?

---------- Post added June-9th-2011 at 09:25 AM ----------

As far as AH chasing someone. He would catch them but only because of earthquakes caused by each of his steps slowing the person down.

you're off your rocker if you think Al would have magically been fine with the 3-4 and he would have tried at practice if he didn't have to run a wind sprint for showing up after EVERY SINGLE REDSKIN to training camp...also he was in the best shape of his life, don't you remember!?!?!

The guy is a big spoiled brat, the only thing that fixes a brat is a back handed smack to the face

BTW, wasn't it Vinny who put this pathetic contract together?

I think the bloated $100 mil contract was a balloon so that the Agent could tout that size of a contract. The actual money that is lost forever came under Allen as they cut the bonus check after Haynesworth said that he would happily play in a 3-4 (or he would be free to leave if he didn't sign). So, they restructured and paid out bonus to rearrange monies in the contract.

Seeing how he lost all that weight last year and shocked a few fans, I think its safe to say he didnt want to play nose. So that is something. He showed up, which also said something. Yeah Shanahan used him as an example for the rest of players. Given the way it dragged on all season, it was one big failure.

I dont think Haslett should be talking too loudly. Our defense was utterly pathetic. Yes under his direction. He should have told Shanny i am a 4-3 guy, and all you have are 4-3 guys; this is a recipe for failure. And predictably, it was.

Lets blame Al only goes so far. He didnt fit the 3-4 and even us fans knew it.

I hope either of these happen:

1. POS gets convicted of assaulting waitress violating a condition in his contract. POS must pay back $xx bonus and is suspended by the Skins for the year. Can't play for anybody and doesn't get paid for this year.

2. POS refuses to do xyz as requested by Haslett and/or Shanny. POS gets suspended by the team for the year for conduct detrimental to the team. Can't play for anybody and doesn't get paid for this year.

---------- Post added June-9th-2011 at 01:00 PM ----------

Shanny's has no blame in this. When you have a POS that thinks he makes the rules, then it's Shanny's job to lower the boom. Make him run sprints all day, every day. Wanna listen now, POS? No? Then keep running until I tell you to stop.

I've coached people like this, I've played with people like this. They'll either get with the program or quit. This POS quit.

Shanny's has no blame in this. When you have a POS that thinks he makes the rules, then it's Shanny's job to lower the boom. Make him run sprints all day, every day. Wanna listen now, POS? No? Then keep running until I tell you to stop.

I've coached people like this, I've played with people like this. They'll either get with the program or quit. This POS quit.

The problem, is many sports fans in this country have this "star" mentality about the players. One player IS bigger than the team. You must make yourself and the larger team bend to meet HIS rules. If Fat Al doesn't want to come to mini-camps. Fat Al shouldn't have to. If Fat Al doesn't want to play Nose Tackle. Fat Al shouldn't have to. If Fat Al doesn't want to play in a 3-4. Fat Al shouldn't have to. I mean, they are only paying him to do his ****ing job right?

I can't see a future where Albert Haynesworth does not regret the decisions he has made here when he 1.) either grows up, or 2.) runs out of money. Of course, he'd never admit it, but no doubt in my mind hindsight will be 20/20 for him.

Why was the conditioning test BS?

All the other players could pass?

This didn't start with AH failing a legitimate conditioning test. It started with him lying to our management, taking the $21 million bonus then acting up, way before mandatory camp. How anyone can give AH props for showing up at a MANDATORY camp is beyond me.

There still are, because it still was. The point was, you can't come here and dictate your terms after you sign the contract. If you want to try that, you'll get exposed as a piece of crap, and will lower your value.

He was already exposed as a piece of crap before training camp even started, but a piece of crap with some trade value, at least. They didn't need to go through all that (and continue to make the organization suffer through this debacle) to prove it.

As the saying goes, "cut your losses", that's what needed to happen before the season even started, and certainly as the season went on and the episode continued to deteriorate. Cuz what have they gained really? Showing guys you can't come here and act a fool? If you bring in character guys to start with, you won't have to worry about it. And Haynesworth was a perfect storm of bad guy and ridiculous contract. I trust that they're smart enough not to go that route again.

Vonnie Holliday: "Most Of What You Hear About Haynesworth Is True"

You know I did get a chance to see that and I was a little surprised by that. I know there's not alot of talk going on in football right now, but to have that candid of a conversation,by the defensive coordinator, I was a little surprised. I know we've had those conversations before. I was certainly surprised that he went on and was that frank about things. We all know what kind of guy Albert is. And problems that he's had with the Redskins. You know alot of stuff unfortunately that you hear is true, it is. Here's a guy Albert Hanesworth, the disappointing part of Albert is...this guy could be one of the most dominating defensive players to play the game.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2011/6/10/2217175/vonnie-holliday-most-of-what-you-hear-about-haynesworth-is-true

This didn't start with AH failing a legitimate conditioning test. It started with him lying to our management, taking the $21 million bonus then acting up, way before mandatory camp. How anyone can give AH props for showing up at a MANDATORY camp is beyond me.

People forget this part also. He knew what he was going to do before he did it, or he wouldn't have asked the players union if he could keep the money. Just because he can legally get away with it, doesn't mean it's right. Karma is a *****.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8205142c/article/skins-de-holliday-hasletts-haynesworth-remarks-on-the-money

Skins DE Holliday: Haslett's Haynesworth remarks on the money

Vonnie Holliday thinks defensive coordinator Jim Haslett has a point about his teammate, Albert Haynesworth.

Speaking on the "LaVar Arrington Show with Chad Dukes," on Washington's 106.7 the Fan Monday, Holliday said Haslett's depiction of Haynesworth's behavior was on the money. But Holliday, a defensive end who started two games for the Redskins last season, also said the team's coaches could have done more to discourage Haynesworth's antics at meetings.

The Washington Redskins have been looking for more from defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth since they signed him to a $100 million contract in 2009. (Evan Vucci/Associated Press)

In an interview with a St. Louis radio station last week, Haslett described Haynesworth as a lazy player who either has trouble listening to -- or just plain ignores -- his coaches .

"He can do almost anything he wants. He doesn’t want to do anything. To me that’s the issue," Haslett said. "He’s one of those guys you walk in a meeting and you tell him, ‘Put down the phone.’ The next day you have to tell him to put down the phone. The next day, you tell him to put down the phone.

"You tell him, 'Don’t read the newspaper in meetings.' The next day you have to tell him the same thing. It doesn’t stick; it’s an every-day thing."

Holliday said Haynesworth's behavior frustrated the Redskins' veterans.

"Short of getting into a fight with Big Al (Haynesworth), you can’t tell him what to do," Holliday said. "As frank as coach Haslett was on the radio station about what transpired throughout the course of last year with Albert I thought there was a missed opportunity there for coaches.

"Maybe this is something that was just instilled in me early in my career -- you just don’t take your phone to a meeting. If a phone rings in a meeting it is an issue. It is a problem. You are going to get cursed out, fussed out and fined. Any number of things are going to happen to you by your coach. I’m terrified.

"These younger guys it is not the same. It’s not looked at as the same. Unfortunately Albert ... some of the stuff that coach Haslett is talking about, having a phone in the meeting, it was just not addressed. Coming up, you’re telling a guy, 'Hey don’t bring your phone to a meeting. You can’t do that.' I mean, the way we get through to these guys is to fine them and that just never happened throughout the year."

Holliday said Haynesworth's ability to dominate on the field, which rarely has manifest itself in Washington since he set an NFL record with $41 million guaranteed as part of a seven-year, $100 contract in 2009, makes his actions even more frustrating.

"First of all, I’m not in it to be an Albert Haynesworth basher," Holliday said. "Yes, some of the on-the-field antics, some of the stuff in the meeting rooms have been disappointing ... (If ) You’ve been a dominating player that we all know that this guy could be. We have no issues.

Holliday said that was not the case with Haynesworth.

"I know that can be frustrating for a new defensive line coach coming in. A new defensive coordinator. Seeing what this guy is capable of doing and then it just not playing out on the field. It was certainly frustrating for me.

"To be honest, this is a guy that if he plays at the level that we know he can play at, will raise the level of play for everybody around him. It’s unfortunate that it has not played out. I don’t know what’s going to happen moving forward but after these comments made by coach (Haslett), you’ve got to think how this guy is going to go back into that locker room and listen to coach and do anything short of what happened last year."

Wouldn't saying things like this to the press worsen our chances of trading him? Why did they ever say a single bad thing about him to the press? They should have done what Ted and Ernie did with Arenas. "We love him!" Then they played him at the 2 guard a little (which he didn't want to do but dealt with for playing time) after which Ted and Ernie told everyone that he was a terrific shooting guard.

BAM traded to Orlando.

Archived