Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Tressel has resigned

ixcuincle

Good. He should have been fired months ago.

+1

The NCAA was really trying to give OSU a pass on this stuff (suspended players not missing the bowl game showed what a joke the NCAA is) but I think too much stuff kept leaking out and they were eventually going to have to actually take stronger action. Ohio State is gutless for not firing him.

Hahaha. As a Wolverine fan this is a great day. Now I hope the NCAA drops the hammer of the Gods on the program.

A bad Ohio State football team is bad for college football IMO. Any victory Michigan has over OSU in the next few years will be meaningless.

---------- Post added May-30th-2011 at 01:34 PM ----------

Kind of hard to overrate the program with the most wins and highest winning % in NCAA history.

So they're no different than the Cowboys. Past relevance doesn't make you relevant now. Michigan is definitely overrated.

Book it.

The rage from Florida will make the state sink into the Atlantic Ocean.

---------- Post added May-30th-2011 at 01:37 PM ----------

Losing focus here people. This is about OSU and their dirty, dirty ex-coach. Shady program run by a shady man. Let's try to stay on point here.

Yup. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving bloke.

The story is just beginning. Sport Illustrated is about to publish a damning story not only on OSU but Jim Tressel. That probably played a big part in Jim resigning today. Once all the dust settles, OSU will be hit hard will penalties probably as severe or more severe than USC.

Tressel should've resigned once this all came out.

Farewell Tressel. As a long time OSU fan, this is a sad occasion indeed.

Akron faces Ohio State in the first game of the season. We'll see how this affects the game, on top of five of their starters being suspended, including TP. I'm hoping Akron can pull this one off.

Farewell to one of the greatest coaches in OSU history.

Your post is confusing for any number of reasons.

You're a longtime OSU fan but you hope Akron wins?

I'm not sure how Tressel can be a "great" coach and be one of the dirtiest coaches in college football over the past decade+.

Your post is confusing for any number of reasons.

You're a longtime OSU fan but you hope Akron wins?

I'm not sure how Tressel can be a "great" coach and be one of the dirtiest coaches in college football over the past decade+.

Listening to Columbus radio today. The fans are giving Tressel a pass basically. I think the love towards Tress will change once all the dirt comes out. OSU has to suffer and until they do, people really won't change their minds.

Listening to Columbus radio today. The fans are giving Tressel a pass basically. I think the love towards Tress will change once all the dirt comes out. OSU has to suffer and until they do, people really won't change their minds.

I think the love will really change when OSU is ****slapped by the NCAA with a large amount of sanctions, including no bowl games for probably 2-5 years.

I think the love will really change when OSU is ****slapped by the NCAA with a large amount of sanctions, including no bowl games for probably 2-5 years.

Just on the current scandal, I would say it would be one season ban. The basketball program went on to new heights after the Jim Obrien scandal.

It would have to take a severe ****slap for fans to change their minds. I don't think anyone will really change their minds based on what we now.

People feel Tress made a stupid mistake and paid for it with his resignation.

I think there has to be real dirt from that SI article that could be released tonight. SI gave OSU the heads up on what they were about to print. OSU probably looked at, talked to Tressel and it was decided he would have to resign.

Ironically, each of the last 4 OSU football coaches were either fired or forced to resign. Those 5 players probably won't be playing another down.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html

The article that brought Tressel DOWN

---------- Post added May-30th-2011 at 09:02 PM ----------

In reality, Ohio State players have been trading *memorabilia -- including items bearing Tressel's *signature -- since at least the coach's second season, according to multiple sources. The number of players *involved is also much higher than what has previously been disclosed.

Dustin Halko was an artist at Dudley'z from the fall of 2002 until early '04, and he says that players regularly visited the shop and handed over signed jerseys, gloves, magazines and other goods in exchange for tattoos. Halko says he personally inked at least 10 Ohio State players -- he clearly remembers tattooing guard T.J. Downing, tight end Louis Irizarry and wide receiver Chris Vance -- and in return he was given autographed memorabilia. (Downing denies ever entering Dudley'z and says that if his memorabilia was there it had been stolen out of his locker; Irizarry and Vance could not be reached for comment despite extensive efforts to contact them.) Halko says that more players, including Clarett (who declined to comment), traded with other artists, and he estimates that at least 15 players violated NCAA rules at Dudley'z just as Pryor & Co. did at Fine Line Ink. Two associates of Halko's who hung out at the shop -- they asked not be named because they fear reprisals from Ohio State fans -- confirmed Halko's account that players commonly swapped memorabilia for tattoo work. One said he saw "at least five" Buckeyes conduct such transactions; the other said "at least seven."

"What they brought in depended on the kind of tattoo they wanted," says Halko. "If it was just something small, it might be a signed magazine or something like that. If it was a full sleeve, they might bring in a jersey." (Tattoos range in price from less than $100 for simple designs to several thousand dollars for more elaborate ones like the full-sleeve inkings of some Buckeyes.) Halko says those working in the shop preferred receiving items with multiple autographs. His most memorable acquisition was a scarlet-and-gray training jacket with between 10 and 15 signatures on it, including Tressel's. Halko says he also traded tattoo work for a magazine bearing the coach's autograph.

According to Halko and both of his associates, Dudley'z became a social hub for the athletes. On a Friday or Saturday night a dozen or more Buckeyes could be found in the large back room of the parlor. They danced to music spun by a deejay and sipped drinks or smoked marijuana that was provided by people at the shop.

basically Tattoo gate has happened since Tressel's second year.

The SI article doesn't really provide anything new, other than the tattoos being traded for merchandise for several years, and some OSU players getting high and hanging out playing video games.

The most damning thing in the article was the habitual nature of the allegations. They happened since 2002. The fact that no one "knew" or bothered to do anything about what was going on, or tried to stop it, and when they did "know", they lied and acted as if nothing was going wrong, can't do that. Got to come clean, and got to stifle these things before they become habitual incidents. What, you can't hang out at the practice facility? You cant' chill there?

Pardon my ignorance.... I'm Canadian and follow NCAA from a periphery.

But what's the problem with these kids selling their own merchandise in the first place? It's been given to them... they earned it. I'm not sure why them selling the stuff for cash is a problem.

Pardon my ignorance.... I'm Canadian and follow NCAA from a periphery.

But what's the problem with these kids selling their own merchandise in the first place? It's been given to them... they earned it. I'm not sure why them selling the stuff for cash is a problem.

It's against the rules. Simple as that.

All this over some crap traded for tattoos. How ridiculous. NCAA football is a joke. NFL needs a D-league that is better run than this joke.

Not that it makes a difference, but the INTENT would be to allow competition, otherwise the OSU's of the world could openly buy their team....much like the Yankees :) The intent is try to create an honest environment where teams aren't built because of deep pocket alumni's. Not that it is working......

All this over some crap traded for tattoos. How ridiculous. NCAA football is a joke. NFL needs a D-league that is better run than this joke.

Lol someone suggested that in a thread. It got shouted down vociferously :|

Archived