Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update: Job Interview on Monday: "Looking a different direction" :(

AsburySkinsFan

Does anyone else ever come out of a job interview second guessing everything they've said....man I hate self doubt. uggh! I couldn't even sleep last night because of it. And it's not like I think I was wrong in what I said, it's just that nagging second guessing.

Does anyone else ever come out of a job interview second guessing everything they've said....man I hate self doubt. uggh! I couldn't even sleep last night because of it. And it's not like I think I was wrong in what I said, it's just that nagging second guessing.

I don't do typical job interviews, but when I make a proposal that doesn't end in a handshake on a deal, I second guess all the way home, in the shower, while I'm trying to sleep, the next day, etc etc. all the way up to the point where I get the job. If I don't get the job, I analyze every detail of the proposal and the meeting to the nth degree.. go over it in my head a thousand times. It used to get in the way of the rest of my life.. but now I'm a bit better.. I still analyze, but I don't obsess. I want to know where I made a mis-step so I don't repeat it next time.

I think it's normal, or you and I are both seriously neurotic.

Good luck! I hope you get the phone call today that gives you good news.

~Bang

I sometimes fall victim to that, but generally, I trust that I did the best I could do. Sadly, the ultimate decisions don't entirely depend on you or your resume, but the quirks of the committee. The fact that you are exhausted is a good sign. Means you were working. Means they took you very seriously.

Let us know.

I don't do typical job interviews, but when I make a proposal that doesn't end in a handshake on a deal, I second guess all the way home, in the shower, while I'm trying to sleep, the next day, etc etc. all the way up to the point where I get the job. If I don't get the job, I analyze every detail of the proposal and the meeting to the nth degree.. go over it in my head a thousand times. It used to get in the way of the rest of my life.. but now I'm a bit better.. I still analyze, but I don't obsess. I want to know where I made a mis-step so I don't repeat it next time.

I think it's normal, or you and I are both seriously neurotic.

Good luck! I hope you get the phone call today that gives you good news.

~Bang

I'm so glad I'm not the only one, I guess if the only thing I have done is learned that truly misery loves company then that's ok. ;) But, seriously I'm doing exactly what you just said, I'm replaying every question, every answer, everything I spoke again and again. Was I clear about this, what that the right thing to say...etc etc etc. I think I need an ativan. :ols:

---------- Post added May-24th-2011 at 08:42 AM ----------

I sometimes fall victim to that, but generally, I trust that I did the best I could do. Sadly, the ultimate decisions don't entirely depend on you or your resume, but the quirks of the committee. The fact that you are exhausted is a good sign. Means you were working. Means they took you very seriously.

Yeah, that's the hardest part, you put it out there and then know they spent the night comparing your answers with two others, and that's really tough, not sure if this is a low self esteem thing or what, sometimes I wish I had the confidence in myself that others seem to have in me. LOL

Let us know.

They said they would be making a decision quickly, and I'm trying not to hold my breath.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one, I guess if the only thing I have done is learned that truly misery loves company then that's ok. ;) But, seriously I'm doing exactly what you just said, I'm replaying every question, every answer, everything I spoke again and again. Was I clear about this, what that the right thing to say...etc etc etc. I think I need an ativan. :ols:

I'll go you one better.. on the way to a proposal, I will rehearse in the car... an old habit from my days in sales.. practice your pitch, practice your pitch, practice your pitch... get every word and every motion down to rote.

Once I hired a woman as a salesperson, and during the interview she mentioned that I was the 'strange guy" that she always saw talking to himself in the car at a stoplight or going down the road.

I thought that was pretty funny.. told her if she wanted to sit in my chair, it was a habit she should get into herself. She turned out to be a pretty good salesperson.

Like i said, I think it's normal,, if you didn't re-think your interview, I'd say THAT was abnormal.

~Bang

Yep, it just happened to me.

I have been working in IT for years and had just landed an interview to work with the USMC in Twentynine Palms. After the background check, and verification of my TS, they called me into an interview the past March. My interview was in front of five people. ( one Lt. General, two full bird colonels and a civilian who I would guess was a GS13 or higher) I had assumed a lot of technical questions, and prepared for them. Having spent time in the military, and growing up a military brat, I knew the culture and was prepared for those answers. But I had to respond to several questions concerning my travels and dealing with differing cultural aspects. ( I spent years in the middle east and south east asia)

I spent weeks second guessing myself, but I just received notice a few weeks ago that I have the job.

Now, what the heck am I going to do in Twentynine Palms?

Asbury, second guessing is the nature of the business, and in particular with the nature of the interview. Knowing you from here and reading some of your blogs, you have the right personality and drive for the position.

Now, what the heck am I going to do in Twentynine Palms?

If you like the outdoors, that's a very interesting part of the world. Not too far to some serious mountains, lots of desert, a rock climbing mecca in Joshua Tree NP, and huge golf and tennis in the Palm Springs/Indian Wells area, if that's your thing.

Sun block will probably be a line item in your household budget. :)

Well I have been out there and do like the desert. Palm Springs is close by, and a Vegas weekend sounds like fun.

I do plan on checking out Joshua Tree though.

hmm, San Diego and surfing on the weekend is not to bad either.

Asbury, I hope you get the good news.

Grrrrr.....thanks for your prayers and support everyone, turns out they were looking another direction. It's good though because I still have a place of ministry, so we're moving on in service here and praying for that campus ministry.

Dear Rev. James,

On behalf of the Search Committee and the Board of the Wesley Foundation, I want to thank you for your interest in leading our ministry at WKU. Although we chose a different path for our ministry at this time, we wish God's blessings on you, your family and your continued Christian ministry. Thank you.

Bunch of bums. Ah well, who needs a set of myopic twerps like that. You can do better. (Also, you never know when the job was decided. The interviews may have just been a formality to please EEOC concerns. I found out that happened once or twice to me when the candidate had been hired but the company had to go through the charade of interviews so everything looked right.

Bunch of bums. Ah well, who needs a set of myopic twerps like that. You can do better.

:ols: Thanks bro I appreciate that! They're good folks though, my guess is that they went with someone with local connections.

(Also, you never know when the job was decided. The interviews may have just been a formality to please EEOC concerns. I found out that happened once or twice to me when the candidate had been hired but the company had to go through the charade of interviews so everything looked right.

There is much truth to this and I'm thinking it may have been decided before I ever entered the room, but then that's looking back now, so I'm pretty free to rationalize it to make me feel better! LOL :pfft:

You heard back about an interview one day later??

Yeah, we knew it was going to be quick because the appointment has to be made by the Bishop in the first week of June and any pastor who is currently appointed to a church would leave a vacancy that would need to be filled before June, so there wasn't much time, and I'm sure the District Superintendents were in contact with the board telling them to expedite the process.

But, the thought that they already knew who they were choosing is not an original idea. ;)

That sucks... im sorry to hear about it man. Still' date=' one day is extremely fast![/quote']

Just got an email from my District Superintendent who talked to the District Superintendent over the Wesley Foundation where I interviewed (he was also on the interview board) he told my DS that my interview went VERY well and that the decision was extremely difficult, so I guess that's good. ;) My guess is that they went with someone with a bit more of a direct connection in the area, that's a guess but all things being equal that's usually the deciding point.

---------- Post added May-24th-2011 at 03:46 PM ----------

Tough break Asbury.

But I like to think this means your headed for big things with your ministry.:fortune:

I appreciate that, kind of a let down to be sure, but whoever goes there is going to have their hands full as there are several major issues that haven't been addressed in a long time. So, at least I don't have to fight those fights. ;)

Well damn! :mad: That really sucks ASF. Perhaps next time it'll be you with the "local connections" or whatever they happen to be looking for. As Bang suggested, you should do a post mortem to see if there's anything you can do better next time around.

Weird, huh?? Sounds like they already had who they wanted picked out and were just satisfying the Rooney rule for christians or something.

He'll know if it turns out the person that won the position is Buddhist, Muslim or Jewish I guess. :)

Grrrrr.....thanks for your prayers and support everyone, turns out they were looking another direction. It's good though because I still have a place of ministry, so we're moving on in service here and praying for that campus ministry.

Sorry to hear it.

Chin up! It's experience, and that is invaluable.

There's always a positive to be found. Focus on that, and work toward tomorrow.

~Bang

Archived