Extremeskins

Seth MacFarlane Rebooting The Flintstones

kiingspadee

Which one is correct?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is correct?

• Pappas is correct - bring Young in
    • Murf has is right - take a pass on Young
    • Pappas and Murf are Morons - who cares what they think?

(scene opens, Fred and Wilma sitting on a COUCH MADE OF ROCK. Pebbels sitting on the floor. Dino drinking a martini)

Fred: Hey Wilma, remember that time I got my head stuck in a brontosaurus' butt?

(cuts to scene of Fred with his head up a brontosaurus' butt)

(camera stays still, Fred wiggles a little bit)

Wilma: Oh Fred!

Pebbles: I am a lesbian! (runs off stage crying)

Fred: What's the big deal? I am a homosapien!

I agree. They feel that everything needs to be rebooted *cough* Batman again *cough*

What? I think the new Batman movies are a bit overrated, but most everybody agree that the one reboot that actually worked is Batman.

I haven't been able to get through a Family Guy episode for years anyway.

Family Guy is an awful show. I was a fan of seasons 1-3 however, as they were funny and clever. Oh the episodes usually had a plot and followed a story.

The writing now is pure dog****.

[ ] Flintstones will be great with McFarlane

[x] Finltstones will be tarnished.

What? I think the new Batman movies are a bit overrated, but most everybody agree that the one reboot that actually worked is Batman.

yeah I'd have to agree. I have no idea what they were thinking with the first series. Started off great with the first 2, then got a little....kiddy with the 3rd, and i don't know what the heck they were thinking on the 4th one.

(scene opens, Fred and Wilma sitting on a COUCH MADE OF ROCK. Pebbels sitting on the floor. Dino drinking a martini)

Fred: Hey Wilma, remember that time I got my head stuck in a brontosaurus' butt?

(cuts to scene of Fred with his head up a brontosaurus' butt)

(camera stays still, Fred wiggles a little bit)

Wilma: Oh Fred!

Pebbles: I am a lesbian! (runs off stage crying)

Fred: What's the big deal? I am a homosapien!

:ols:

Family Guy is stupid, sure, but it is funny. Anyone saying Seth MacFarlane isn't funny is just lying to themselves. American Dad isn't funny, Cleveland Show isn't funny, but watch Seth MacFarlane host the Comedy Central roasts, the guy is hilarious. I think (hope) he has enough respect for the Flinstones to not stray to far from the original formula. If he stays true to the source material, this show could be great. After all, whats so wrong with having a cartoon kids can enjoy that actually has a little bit of intelligence to it?

Family Guy is stupid, sure, but it is funny. Anyone saying Seth MacFarlane isn't funny is just lying to themselves. American Dad isn't funny, Cleveland Show isn't funny, but watch Seth MacFarlane host the Comedy Central roasts, the guy is hilarious. I think (hope) he has enough respect for the Flinstones to not stray to far from the original formula. If he stays true to the source material, this show could be great. After all, whats so wrong with having a cartoon kids can enjoy that actually has a little bit of intelligence to it?

Woah, what? I don't usually say fail, but it probably applies here. American Dad is one of the best things going right now.

Family guy is not funny anymore, and it hasn't been since it came back from being cancelled.

Also, unless they use the original music that was throughout the backing tracks, it won't be even close to the same.

I've got four CDs full of Hanna Barbera sound effects.. but none of the musical takes, and they make all the difference. That music, even if it was just random notes or sound effects created by a musical instrument..on the Flintstones they were as much of the character's emotion as the facial expression.

For example... all you FredHeads..

Fred finds out Wilma went shopping,, you hear that dischordant trumpet blasting as he has his breakdown and the roof flies off the house.. Fred does a double take.. his head flips back and forth fast as he figures something out.. you hear that tuba flutter if you've ever seen it. Fred finds out that he's busted,, again, and just as he gives up hope and his shoulders sag down to defeat, you hear that tuba note slide down to the bottom.. Fred goes stomping off to Barney's house to yell at him for something... you hear that heavy tuba march song.. only 10 seconds or so.

The little scene segues of music.. tiny ten seconds snips.. they set everything up.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, go watch a Flintstones episode On Demand (they're under kids> Boomerang). but listen to the background musical takes. You'll see what I mean.

They're essential.

~Bang

Also, unless they use the original music that was throughout the backing tracks, it won't be even close to the same.

~Bang

Man, what a good point Bang. You just take it for granted watching as a kid. I immediately thought of the "twinkle toes" sound when Fred bowls.

Listen how sound-effect-rich this short clip is...

g-IxeEHBFdU

Man, what a good point Bang. You just take it for granted watching as a kid. I immediately thought of the "twinkle toes" sound when Fred bowls.

Yep, and not only in that clip can you hear the effects, but behind the xylophone of the twinkletoes, there's a second xylophone run that ties it all up together.

When Fred prepares to throw his second ball, listen to the little clarinet and trumpet mutes behind it all. They set the whole stage.

~Bang

Come on, you guys can't really think early episodes of Family Guy were funnier than newer ones.

The first couple seasons are so bad it's hard to watch for more than 2 or 3 minutes. Back then the humor was Stewie using big words (which was funny for about 5 minutes), and Peter doing mildly dumb things that Homer Simpson had done 10 years earlier. Chris was just awful, and they didn't even attempt to make Meg or Lois funny. Of course, the animation was also poor, and the voices were undeveloped and weird. It may be off-the-wall and overly raunchy at times, but Family Guy is 100x better now than it was when it started.

Rants aside, I think MacFarlane should leave the Flintstones alone. He has too many shows already. He should stick to Family Guy and American Dad.

Come on, you guys can't really think early episodes of Family Guy were funnier than newer ones.

The first couple seasons are so bad it's hard to watch for more than 2 or 3 minutes. Back then the humor was Stewie using big words (which was funny for about 5 minutes), and Peter doing mildly dumb things that Homer Simpson had done 10 years earlier. Chris was just awful, and they didn't even attempt to make Meg or Lois funny. Of course, the animation was also poor, and the voices were undeveloped and weird. It may be off-the-wall and overly raunchy at times, but Family Guy is 100x better now than it was when it started.

If by "first couple seasons" you mean, the "first two episodes only", then yes, those issues clearly exist...

It's kind of unfathomable how anyone could look back at those first 3 seasons and think that anything they've done since 2005 even comes close.

Smurfs was rebooted via movie coming out soon. Saw the preview when I went to see Thor :ols:

And technically he did reboot the PJs..... The Cleveland show.

American Dad is funny BTW.

42 Year old virgin and Haylias are among my faves. I'm sure some of you did fantasize about being able to use mind control to chart the perfect life (from their point of view) for their kids after watching that episode. :)

If by "first couple seasons" you mean, the "first two episodes only", then yes, those issues clearly exist...

It's kind of unfathomable how anyone could look back at those first 3 seasons and think that anything they've done since 2005 even comes close.

Have you watched any old episodes recently? I have. They're horrendous, which probably played a role in the show getting canceled. It was nothing but a lame Simpsons rip-off.

Rants aside, I think MacFarlane should leave the Flintstones alone. He has too many shows already. He should stick to Family Guy and American Dad.

Technically they are better. By that I mean voices and animation but the story lines and jokes are fricking terrible. The first couple seasons had some decent stories, but after it came back, it was dreadful.

Family Guy WAS funny...before it got cancelled it was really funny.

---------- Post added May-17th-2011 at 11:40 AM ----------

Have you watched any old episodes recently? I have. They're horrendous, which probably played a role in the show getting canceled. It was nothing but a lame Simpsons rip-off.

Dude, Family Guy was cancelled the first time because FOX kept moving the damn time slot. It was popular, hence why the massive DVD sales of seasons 1-3 prompted them to return it. Stewie as a homicidal maniac was much funnier than as a closet gay.

Family Guy WAS funny...before it got cancelled it was really funny.

---------- Post added May-17th-2011 at 11:40 AM ----------

Dude, Family Guy was cancelled the first time because FOX kept moving the damn time slot. It was popular, hence why the massive DVD sales of seasons 1-3 prompted them to return it. Stewie as a homicidal maniac was much funnier than as a closet gay.

The Simpsons was also very popular in the first couple seasons. Doesn't mean those early episodes aren't awful by today's standards.

Stewie's shtick got old after 2 episodes, seriously. What are they supposed to do, have him try to kill his mother for 10 straight seasons? I'm just glad I no longer have to hear him say "I shall eradicate that vile woman!". Thank god they teamed him up with Brian and made him ambiguously gay. If anything, that was when the show actually became funny.

Meg jokes are probably the best part of the show now, and back then she was barely even a character. She was just a shy, sweet-voiced girl that hardly existed. Lois, Joe, and Quagmire are also much, much funnier now.

The Simpsons was also very popular in the first couple seasons. Doesn't mean those early episodes aren't awful by today's standards.

Stewie's shtick got old after 2 episodes, seriously. What are they supposed to do, have him try to kill his mother for 10 straight seasons? I'm just glad I no longer have to hear him say "I shall eradicate that vile woman!". Thank god they teamed him up with Brian and made him ambiguously gay. If anything, that was when the show actually became funny.

Meg jokes are probably the best part of the show now, and back then she was barely even a character. She was just a shy, sweet-voiced girl that hardly existed. Lois, Joe, and Quagmire are also much, much funnier now.

"Lethal Weapons" in the 3rd season is the best episode in the show's history. Like Sticks said, the show was brought back from the dead because of the DVD sales of the 1st 3 season.

EDIT: And by saying that they made him "ambiguously gay" and/or teamed him up with Brian only after coming back on the air, makes me wonder how much you actually watched the 1st 3 seasons. Road to Rhode Island and Road to Europe were Pre-Cancellation episodes where he was teamed with Brian and both were great. The latent homosexual thing has almost always been there from the beginning, (The reality show episode's interview for instance) I'd argue that they made him openly gay after they came back in 2005.

My absolute favorite episode was "Wasted Talent" when Peter and Brian go to the Pawtucket Patriot brewery with the Chumbawumba's

"Lethal Weapons" in the 3rd season is the best episode in the show's history. Like Sticks said, the show was brought back from the dead because of the DVD sales of the 1st 3 season.

EDIT: And by saying that they made him "ambiguously gay" and/or teamed him up with Brian only after coming back on the air, makes me wonder how much you actually watched the 1st 3 seasons. Road to Rhode Island and Road to Europe were Pre-Cancellation episodes where he was teamed with Brian and both were great. The latent homosexual thing has almost always been there from the beginning, (The reality show episode's interview for instance) I'd argue that they made him openly gay after they came back in 2005.

Naturally, 2 characters on the same show are going to run together at some point or another. It wasn't until later that they became an inseparable duo.

I'd probably include 2005 in the funnier years of Family Guy. I couldn't stand the show until a friend made me watch that Stewie movie, and it actually made me laugh. That was a turning point for me. I'm pretty sure that was sometime in 2005, because I remember being happy about the Skins being relevant.

Archived