Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Given our draft what do you think we will do in free agency?

braindx

With Atogwe, Landry will spend more time near the line. He's a great rusher himself, and added to Orakpo and Kerrigan in certain situations, we should be better than average in defense this year despite the new style and new talent. Neild is much better than billed, as well.

Hankerson and Armstrong down deep with Moss at slot, and Cooley and Davis with a very talented RB committee will take a lot of pressure off whoever the QB is. And let's not forget, with all our worries on the Offensive Line, how much our OL will benefit from other teams not being able to crowd the box quite as often.

I think free agency will address concerns by adding depth, not by signing glittery starters (perhaps QB excluded in the case of VY happening...) But I think our situation is a lot better than a lot of what I've been reading.

Nice to have found this site by the way. Hi all.

Skins will re-sign Moss, trade McNabb for a 4th rounder, and let Carlos Rogers walk. Signing a CB or two and some linemen wouldn't surprise me either.

First ... We will do some house cleaning. The following players will more likely than not be released -- Carlos Rogers, Rocky McIntosh, Jamaal Brown. We will make attempts to trade Donovan McNabb. We may also allow Santana to walk -- he has slowed down, and drops way too may balls for a #1 WR.

In Free Agency, we will purse a CB - Nnamdi A., or Josh Wilson. QB -- we may try and ink in Matt Hasselbeck, if we can't get a decent QB we will start the season with John Beck. OL men will be targeted aggressively.

With Atogwe, Landry will spend more time near the line. He's a great rusher himself, and added to Orakpo and Kerrigan in certain situations, we should be better than average in defense this year despite the new style and new talent. Neild is much better than billed, as well.

Hankerson and Armstrong down deep with Moss at slot, and Cooley and Davis with a very talented RB committee will take a lot of pressure off whoever the QB is. And let's not forget, with all our worries on the Offensive Line, how much our OL will benefit from other teams not being able to crowd the box quite as often.

I think free agency will address concerns by adding depth, not by signing glittery starters (perhaps QB excluded in the case of VY happening...) But I think our situation is a lot better than a lot of what I've been reading.

Nice to have found this site by the way. Hi all.

Welcome...I agree...nice first post.

I would be shocked and disappointed if they don't sign Ryan Harris. That would be the first place to start. Next would be a center, they simply can not go into next year with Raubach. I have always felt that Santana Moss was under appreciated and I really have no idea what's going to happen with him.

But if I know Allen/Shanny they will go with a number of younger signings, guys most of us have never heard of.

The most exposed position on the team is OL, currently. The line was playing better at the end of last year than the beginning of the year, but they HAVE to figure out a way to cut Stephon Heyer. They might have BMW coming back, but I look for several FA signings across the front line, if for no other reason rather than depth.

I think the real question is going to be, do they sign their big FAs? Moss, Rogers, Grossman, and Brown. If they don't, then they probably have to go out and find replacements for them. If they do, then they have to find less replacements. For the record, I hope they resign all but Rogers. I don't think he's worth the money, though he's probably better than a lot of people realize. I do hope they don't go hog-wild and throw around big-money.

I would think a vet QB is in the cards.. a cheap one,, Dirt brings up an interesting name with Seneca Wallace..

I would think giving Rex a one year deal is a good idea, he knows the system, knows the locker room, and knows the score, so he'll be motivated.

I'd rather have him than Bulger.

Carlos rogers is a problem in that he wants to be paid like a guy who can catch interceptions, and he's not going to get it here, so he's bound and determined to find out he won't get it elsewhere either.

I DO like 'Los, because I think a CBs first responsibility is to stop his man from catching passes, and he does a great job of that. If he could catch, he'd be a game-changr. But, i've given up on him learning that trick.. if it hasn't happened yet, it is unlikely to ever 'catch' on.. pardon the pun.

I do want him to stay, but he's going to have to get reasonable on the price.

If Carlos goes, we have an immediate need and no one on the roster I'd be comfortable in filling it with. A weak corner is a GLARING problem, and regardless of the work put in on the DL, if a QB has an outlet against a sub-par corner it won't matter.

So I'd say that CB will become an emergency if Carlos is gone, and should be priority number 1. (Maybe even if he doesnt go. They should not wait to see what he'll do. If the Redskins have an opportunity to sign a guy like Asomugha, they should do it and tell Carlos it's been nice, but... )

He is a game-changer, and coupled with Hall will give us a shut down secondary, and that would really make all our DL work look great.

I'd like to see some veteran depth for the OL.

~Bang

I'd like to see some veteran depth for the OL. ~Bang

I would argue we have depth on the O'Line though it's young not veteran. What we lack are starters in at least 3 spots. C, RG and RT. Ryan Harris or Jamal Brown would fill the RT spot and Davin Joseph the RG spot. Not sure about C but we need someone to win that job from Rabach.

I think we will bring Moss back at receiver.

I do agree though that if Rogers leaves there would be a hole at corner - and I think he will be leaving. Adding a starting quality corner and a NT to a RG and RT should be the work we do in free agency. That just leaves the gaping hole at QB .......

I would argue we have depth on the O'Line though it's young not veteran. What we lack are starters in at least 3 spots. C, RG and RT. Ryan Harris or Jamal Brown would fill the RT spot and Davin Joseph the RG spot. Not sure about C but we need someone to win that job from Rabach.

I think we will bring Moss back at receiver.

I do agree though that if Rogers leaves there would be a hole at corner - and I think he will be leaving. Adding a starting quality corner and a NT to a RG and RT should be the work we do in free agency. That just leaves the gaping hole at QB .......

i agree with this,, Santana is a wily veteran, and if he splits the WRs will lack that.

I know we've got a bunch of young OL depth, but given that so many of them are very young I'd have to assume one or two will be practice squad, one or two will be cut.. IMO there's always room for a vet backup OL, especially in rebuilding mode.

~Bang

Citing league insiders, the Washington Post reports the Redskins are "high" on free agent DE Cullen Jenkins.

It goes without saying the interest is mutual. A basic tenet of Sports Agency 101 is ensuring the deep-pocketed Redskins are involved in any potential bidding war for a high-profile free agent. As a prototype 3-4 end, Jenkins certainly fits coordinator Jim Haslett's defense. The Redskins figure to have even greater interest in NT Aubrayo Franklin, who would fill a more pressing need.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/roster-analysis-defensive-line/2011/05/10/AFjQyihG_blog.html#pagebreak

Citing league insiders, the Washington Post reports the Redskins are "high" on free agent DE Cullen Jenkins.

It goes without saying the interest is mutual. A basic tenet of Sports Agency 101 is ensuring the deep-pocketed Redskins are involved in any potential bidding war for a high-profile free agent. As a prototype 3-4 end, Jenkins certainly fits coordinator Jim Haslett's defense. The Redskins figure to have even greater interest in NT Aubrayo Franklin, who would fill a more pressing need.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/roster-analysis-defensive-line/2011/05/10/AFjQyihG_blog.html#pagebreak

Not sure we need another DE....but he's a really good player.

We can always use more rotation. Jenkins and Jenkins would make for a pretty good duo.

Yeah they would. I really hope Jarvis doesn't turn out to be a flop. He played very well at Clemson, and a lot of people say he's a big reason why Da'Quan Bowers had so many sacks (because Jenkins was being double teamed). He also really impressed at the Senior Bowl, so hopefully he'll pan out (the team certainly could use his help).

As for FA...I'm hoping they go after an OG or OC, a CB and a ILB. Getting any of those positions will go a long way, and pretty much put this team is a really good place for the next off-season.

Cullen Jenkins would be a great pickup for any 3-4 team. He gets great penetration as an inside rusher, and that is a real key. Don't give the QB anywhere to step up in the pocket and it makes the job easier on your OLBs. Jenkins put up really good sack numbers considering that he played most the season with one hand and he missed a good deal of time with other injuries. I'd be happy to see the Packers manage to hold on to him, because I think he was a huge part of our success.

It would be awesome if you guys signed his brother, Kris, to play NT and you had the Jenkins-Jenkins-Jenkins d-line.

I don't think we resolve the QB situation this year. Beck doesn't seem like a long-term answer, and there's not a young free agent talent that strikes me as a Shanahan QB. We won't be truly competitive until we have a long term QB on the roster. Given that, I don't think we should be spending money on any player over 30 years old. We should be giving young players playing time so that they can develop and be ready when we do have that QB. Some of the under 30 free agents who interest me are Ryan Harris, Davin Joseph, and Samson Satele.. On the O line, I'd love to see us start T. Williams, K. Lichtensteiger, S. Satele, D. Joseph, and R. Harris, with Capers, Hurt, and Montgomery on the bench. As for D-Line, Cullen Jenkins and Aubrayo Franklin are both 30, so I'd be less interested in them. Kris Jenkins is 31 and has sustained many injuries over the years, so I'd rather go with Bryant and Neild at NT for the time being. There are a couple of UDFA NT prospects that I'd consider (H. Ayodele, T. Griffiths). I think we'll have a pretty decent rotation on the D-Line, starting with Carriker, Bryant and J. Jenkins, and then working in Jarmon, Neild, Holiday and the proverbial player-to-be-named-later (maybe C. Jenkins, Aubrayo or a UDFA NT).

It's going to be tough for Carlos Rogers to stay. Hall is the $54 million dollare man, who had some flashy interceptions (and a fumble recovery in the Dallas game that brought home the W). There are teams that need a good cover corner, even if he can't catch a football and there will be plenty of teams more than willing to pay for his services. I wish the Skins were one of them.

This is one of the areas the Skins end up competing against themselves. They paid so much for Hall that the "other corner" who is better at everything but holding onto an interception, will likely leave rather than getting paid less to do a better job.

If the Skins want a punter, maybe they should give Chris Bryan a look. Tim Masthay barely beat him out to get the spot on the Packers roster.

Bryan only got in 4 games before he was waived by the Broncos, and while he wasn't very good in that time, Masthay was even worse in his first 4 games before he finished strong. in his remaining 12 games, Masthay's net average was 38.9 yards, 24 punts downed inside the 20.

Bryan's a former Aussie-rules football player, so I'm sure he'll be a good asset in preventing homerun returns if it means he has to tackle the runner himself. Bryan's not exactly young at 29, but he'll be around longer than a 37 year old Maynard who didn't seem to really be all that good, anyways. He's also still fairly new to American football, which is why I think he has room to grow as a punter.

Per Russellmania-

Punter Brad Maynard "seems unlikely" acc. to Chic Tribune to resign w/ #Bears. Been told - he is a big target for #Redskins. 29th in Net Avg

http://twitter.com/#!/Russellmania980/statuses/69175226734358528

I thought we already had two punters on the roster ???

This guy has a thrown for a touchdown against us !

Edit : And Bidwell has to be a cut waiting to happen. Only 4 games played in 2 seasons. Seems like his hip has done for him.

Chris Carr or Josh Wilson should be targets. The ravens are likely to let one of these walk, both can play man coverage.

Since, there will likely be very little market for Rogers (he will find that out) I think the Redskins should bring him back. You can never have enough corners in this league even if they can't catch

Cullen Jenkins scares me because he's an injury prone guy. It just seems like a "typical" Redskins signing to me. But, if they don't have to the break the bank to get him then I certainly believe Haslett would pull hard for them to bring him in.

OL needs to be addressed heavily via UDFA and FA. Marshall Yanda would be someone I would target but with his versailite I believe the Ravens lock him up and start him at Guard or Right Tackle depending on Gaithers situation

Archived