Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to Jason La Canfora 's Twitter Redskins Looking to Move up to Number 2 Pick (Updated: NFL.com headline as well)

skinsrbeast

So Shanny has been pretty tight lipped or kept to generalizations when talking about the draft for the most part. But then a seemingly credible story breaks that they are looking to trade up and get Gabbert...and now all of a sudden Shanny is doing interviews, etc and talking about how they either "want to trade down and have 3 or 4 guys who they like at 10" or how "it would likely take too much to move up to 2"? Sounds a bit like an attempt at damage control to me.

He apparently tried like hell to get Bradford last year but it didn't work, even though we were seemingly offering quite a bit but now this year he finds a guy that he and Kyle are both sold on (according to insiders here) and he goes out and sort of hangs his head and says "yeah, we probably can't, just costs too dang much" while kicking an empty can down the street?

So Shanny has been pretty tight lipped or kept to generalizations when talking about the draft for the most part. But then a seemingly credible story breaks that they are looking to trade up and get Gabbert...and now all of a sudden Shanny is doing interviews, etc and talking about how they either "want to trade down and have 3 or 4 guys who they like at 10" or how "it would likely take too much to move up to 2"? Sounds a bit like an attempt at damage control to me.

He apparently tried like hell to get Bradford last year but it didn't work, even though we were seemingly offering quite a bit but now this year he finds a guy that he and Kyle are both sold on (according to insiders here) and he goes out and sort of hangs his head and says "yeah, we probably can't, just costs too dang much" while kicking an empty can down the street?

Idk, sounds to me like he's doing the best he can to keep people guessing after Denver ****ed us hard on this one, by leaking it.

Idk, sounds to me like he's doing the best he can to keep people guessing after Denver ****ed us hard on this one, by leaking it.

That was pretty much exactly the point I was trying to make. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my description. :)

But IMO it also says that there definitely is some validity to the story that broke. So...damage control. "Move along now, nothing to see here. We're totally trading back. We even have a few guys slotted at 10 that we'll take!"

Things on ES are getting rightfully ridiculous the day before the draft and it's awesome

And tomorrow will be ten times worse. You'll see tons of drive-by rants by people who JUST registered and will never be back...this place will be chaotic as hell.

---------- Post added April-27th-2011 at 06:26 PM ----------

That was pretty much exactly the point I was trying to make. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my description. :)

Ah, gotcha.

My opinion is that the poster above was revising history to make Bradford sound like a worse prospect. Can we stop playing the semantic game and get back to talking football now?

Sure...but I don't think it is a ridiculous opinion to say that Gabbert might have a higher ceiling. I think everyone will concede that Bradford was the safer choice in that he is more likely to be a good QB. But maybe that poster believes that Gabbert is more likely to be star.

Sure...but I don't think it is a ridiculous opinion to say that Gabbert might have a higher ceiling. I think everyone will concede that Bradford was the safer choice in that he is more likely to be a good QB. But maybe that poster believes that Gabbert is more likely to be star.

Meh. The consensus on Bradford was that he was as good a QB prospect as any in a decade. The consensus on Gabbert is that he's the second best QB in a weak QB draft.

If people are talking up Gabbert as a better prospect than Bradford, it's because they're trying to justify the potential deal.

---------- Post added April-27th-2011 at 06:34 PM ----------

People on the Broncos message board are salivating over these rumors. They think we are a bunch of idiots and will give up our 1st, 2nd, and 2012 1st to move up. And they will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Wouldn't you be if you were them?

I don't have the energy to do it just yet, but was looking at my USA Today draft magazine, and its loaded with comments by guys like Kiper praising Gabbert big time. I already posted Mayock's comments calling him in Bradford's league. Some of the people posting seem to be implying that Shanny is taking some off the rocker fringe position on Gabbert if he thinks he's a franchise type. If so it ain't just Shanny many draft geeks would have to be off their rocker too.

Searched and nothing came up but he just tweeted a couple tweets about it

"Spoke Monday about the Redskins interest in trading up to No 2 to land a QB. @KaraHenderson, reporting from Denver today, echoed that and..."

"Others reporting similar versions as well. I'm not convinced the Skins can't land Gabbert at 10 but several GMs believe they will move to 2"

"Several GMs I've talked to believe Skins will move to 2 to make sure they get Gabbert. I think he'd likely be there at 10"

They say we will be going for Denver's pick. I don't know take it for what it is, pre-draft chaos. Who knows if there is much fact to this

Here's the new NFL.com headline: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f7f7de/article/redskins-look-to-move-up-in-draft-take-missouri-qb-gabbert?module=HP_headlines

I heard through a tweet the Redskins are trading back to the for 7th round for 10 picks with there 1st round pick . I got this from the same source "the Others reporting" as Jason Fraud Canfora

I heard through a tweet the Redskins are trading back to the for 7th round for 10 picks with there 1st round pick . I got this from the same source "the Others reporting" as Jason Fraud Canfora

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a rumor that has been confirmed by insiders on this board.

The consensus on Gabbert is that he's the second best QB in a weak QB draft.

Whose consensus? I got every draft magazine there is, here goes

USA Today -- Gabbert #1

Kiper -- Gabbert #1

Pro football Weekly -- Gabbert #1

Pro football draft guide Gabbert #2

Lindy's Sports draft guy Gabbert #1

Mayock: Gabbert #1

Who is it that Newton is the consensus #1? Yeah the Panthers like him but he isn't the consensus #1 of the draft geeks

Mayock on Gabbert -- doesn't mean he's accurate but yes there are draft geeks that are big on Gabbert

"Every team in the top ten who thinks they need a quarterback ought to be grinding those QBs, and they better look at Blaine Gabbert,"

Mayock said he's seen 7 of Blaine Gabbert's games and he reminds him of Stafford and Bradford, guys who immediately do well in NFL.less than a minute ago via web

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/2/18/2000705/mike-mayock-blaine-gabbert-2011-nfl-draft

Mike Mayock has also said that he really can't get behind any of these QBs like he has in years past. He said that he can't bang the drum for any of these guys like he did with Cutler, Ryan, and Bradford.

Some more on Gabbert

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/2/18/2000705/mike-mayock-blaine-gabbert-2011-nfl-draft

Mayock said he's seen 7 of Blaine Gabbert's games and he reminds him of Stafford and Bradford, guys who immediately do well in NFL.

I'd attach a link but don't have one to these, its from the USA Today draft issue

Kiper "In terms of guys being worthy of #1, Gabbert would certainly would, just because of his size, his arm, his quick release, and mobility." Mel Kiper

"Carolina has to consider him among the favorites to go #1. Gabbert has that upside. He's like a Philip Rivers." Only with better mobility. Rob Rang, NFL Draft Scout anyaluyst

USA Today -- Gabbert #1

Kiper -- Gabbert #1

Who is it that Newton is the consensus #1? Yeah the Panthers like him but he isn't the consensus #1 of the draft geeks

Yeah, I'm going with quotes that about a dozen teams think Newton is the best player in the draft. even if Carolina passes on him the smart money is Newton goes higher.

Kiper, btw, has Gabbert as the 14th ranked player.

Mayock isn't "putting Gabbert in Bradford's league" as you claim:

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seasonticket/2011/02/nfl-draft-expert-mike-mayock-mostly-loves-blaine-gabbert.html

I like Gabbert. I like him more than Newton. He's a good prospect. But he's not anywhere near Bradford. Claiming he's as good, or better, is just silly.

USA Today -- Gabbert #1

Kiper -- Gabbert #1

Someone on here told me a few months ago that the opinions of the draft geeks dont matter...only those of the people in the NFL. And it seems that people in the league have Cam as #1 and like the other guy said Gabbert is #2 in a weak QB draft. Bill Parcells has Cam Newton #1 over Gabbert too. He thinks Cam is special and thought he did a great job last year dominating college football.

Someone on here told me a few months ago that the opinions of the draft geeks dont matter...only those of the people in the NFL. And it seems that people in the league have Cam as #1 and like the other guy said Gabbert is #2 in a weak QB draft. Bill Parcells has Cam Newton #1 over Gabbert too. He thinks Cam is special and thought he did a great job last year dominating college football.

Who are the people in the NFL you are referring to beside those 2? I've read more than once that if Newton falls past Carolina he likely falls all the way past #10 becuase other teams have Gabbert not Newton as #1 on their board for QB. But do we really know the teams true draft boards?

---------- Post added April-27th-2011 at 07:42 PM ----------

I didn't claim squat, i posted an article from a guy who was tweeting what he was saying on a conference call where he flat out said it. The article you posted actually was pretty complementary of Gabbert and didn't say a thing about him not being in Bradford's league, am i missing something or is that the wrong link?

I honestly think Ponder and Dalton will be 2 of the better qbs in this draft. Why trade more picks that we dont have up to have the #2 pick when you can trade down and gain picks and still address those needs and more? Its the logical thing to do.

Your opinion is perfectly valid. The Shanahans apparently disagree though.

I like Gabbert. I like him more than Newton. He's a good prospect. But he's not anywhere near Bradford. Claiming he's as good, or better, is just silly.

To each their own, that's your opinion. My opinion is for anyone of us on the board thinking we know enough about both QB's to define a comparison as silly -- is making a silly statement. And I mean that in a nice way but yeah this is a complex position how the heck do we have it down when you got smart guys like Bobby Beathard and others who screw this up

On another note, JLC said tonight on NFL Netwrok, that the Skins could trade up, trade down, or stay put -- talk about covering all basis but he thinks trading up now is the least likely of the three options

We'll know soon enough and I can't wait. I will be equal parts shocked/bummed if Shanny moves all the way up to number two to take Gabbert. And I'll laugh at this whole Shanny is master smokescreen guy who never lets anyone know his true intentions. Except, you know, trusted folks close to him... who then post on team message boards.

But whatever. If he does move up to take a football player named Blaine -- BLAINE! -- I will suck it up and hope that is very right and I am very wrong.

I didn't claim squat, i posted an article from a guy who was tweeting what he was saying on a conference call where he flat out said it. The article you posted actually was pretty complementary of Gabbert and didn't say a thing about him not being in Bradford's league, am i missing something or is that the wrong link?

He said they throw similar, before he launched inot a series of doubts about Gabbert.

You're just going into spin control mode. Not interested in this anymore.

We'll know soon enough and I can't wait. I will be equal parts shocked/bummed if Shanny moves all the way up to number two to take Gabbert. And I'll laugh at this whole Shanny is master smokescreen guy who never lets anyone know his true intentions. Except, you know, trusted folks close to him... who then post on team message boards.But whatever. If he does move up to take a football player named Blaine -- BLAINE! -- I will suck it up and hope that is very right and I am very wrong.

You mean the tweets who post info for us peeps. LOL

Archived