Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to Jason La Canfora 's Twitter Redskins Looking to Move up to Number 2 Pick (Updated: NFL.com headline as well)

skinsrbeast

No. This is ridiculous. There is no way Gabbert goes #2. If anything, Cam will be the first QB taken, and gabbert will fall a few spots. If we are seriously going to make a play for him, we sure as hell wouldn't need to trade up to #2 to get him. He may very well be there at 10, and should be there after pick 6 or 7.

For all we know Buff, Cincy, AZ, SF, and TN are all looking at Gabbert.

No. This is ridiculous. There is no way Gabbert goes #2. If anything, Cam will be the first QB taken, and gabbert will fall a few spots. If we are seriously going to make a play for him, we sure as hell wouldn't need to trade up to #2 to get him. He may very well be there at 10, and should be there after pick 6 or 7.

This presumes teams are somehow handcuffed by going strictly on the trade value chart, etc or others want to trade down -- if I want to trade down and know a team that picks after mine wants to trade down too, I'll account for that if I want to consummate a trade and add picks. Same thing I feel about the skins trading down, just because we want to, doesn't mean we are going to get a great deal for the pick, we might have to suck it up and not get great value for it if the demand isn't high. In other words, it could be that Denver is shopping their pick, and only the Skins are biting.

I'd just like to say, the WP is now reporting that the Skins are (again) looking to move down in the draft to obtain more picks, but have named 3-4 players they could pick at #10. No mention of trading up in the draft.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/shanahan-redskins-could-move-down-in-draft/2011/04/27/AFXgKazE_blog.html

JLC is a Dwad.

EDIT:

And his reporting sucks. :evilg:

I'd just like to say, the WP is now reporting that the Skins are (again) looking to move down in the draft to obtain more picks, but have named 3-4 players they could pick at #10. No mention of trading up in the draft.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/shanahan-redskins-could-move-down-in-draft/2011/04/27/AFXgKazE_blog.html

JLC is a Dwad.

EDIT:

It'd be funny if Shanallen made us all panic these couple days about the Gabbert thing then tomorrow does some draft day wizardry and turns #10 into like 3 Top-80 picks and has an amazing draft..... we'd all be calling them geniuses and elated after what we've been fearing the past couple days....

JLC is a Dwad.

EDIT:

It appears we are planning to do everything ever.

Honestly, I'd be happy if we traded up to get Blaine, and traded down for more picks, and picked Julio Jones at 10 as well. That would be ideal.

Schefter follows the rules. The fact he hasn't came out and refuted the report speaks volumes.

I know you're here to provide us w/ info (info for which I am grateful, by the way), but do you have an opinion on the wisdom of such a move?

Clearly, we need many pieces and Gabbert is not a clear risk-free bet as a franchise QB, which is what I'd hope we'd get for trading away our future.

What are your thoughts?

It'd be funny if Shanallen made us all panic these couple days about the Gabbert thing then tomorrow does some draft day wizardry and turns #10 into like 3 Top-80 picks and has an amazing draft..... we'd all be calling them geniuses and elated after what we've been fearing the past couple days....

IMO its not about winning over the mock draft geeks but getting a good draft -- parlaying a lot of picks could be good -- but i recall Dallas doing it a couple of years ago, most of that draft was a dud, we know what happened with vinny and the 2008 draft, 10 picks, seemed great at the time. At the time, might have seemed good that the Skins didn't trade up for Bradford, and I bet the Rams don't regret not giving up the pick.

Please tell me what team has the possibility to finish worse than us next year. If we trade McNabb, dont resign Grossman, dont resign Moss,trade Haynesworth, dont resign Rogers,dont resign McIntoch. any two of these scenarios means we'll be in official rebuilding mode. Plus we play the AFC East along with our always tough NFC East. Pats, Jets, @ Buffalo, @ Miami. I honestly think we'll be lucky to win 3 games next year. We should draft the best players available,stay put and prepare for the looong season with hopefully a lot of "LUCK" at the end! (Andrew Luck that is!!)

Two of the same three teams that pick in the top three this year: Carolina and Buffalo. The NFC East is not exactly what it used to be, and out of the AFC East, I am certainly not terrified of Buffalo and Miami.

We may very well lose a lot of the players that you mention, but its not like the guys you mention are real difference makers anyways. Except Moss, but I think he will be back (hopefully as a #2 receiver). Rogers will hurt a little, but he may be back too after he sees that he is not going to get what he thinks he will get on the open market. McNabb might have hurt if we lost him five years ago, Haynesworth would hurt if he was actually on the field and trying, McIntosh is not really a fit for the defense and Rex Grossman is...well, Rex Grossman.

Even if we do lose them, I am pretty confident that we add other, possibly better players with the amount of cap space in a loaded FA class this year. And I know what a lot of people's responses will be about filling holes in free agency, but we can fill some major holes if we play our cards right. I don't think we are going to go after flashy guys, but we are going to go after ones that are good fits for our team and our needs. I think at worse, we finish the same as we did this year, which if we don't draft a QB this year, will put us in the same position as we are right now. You can't effectively build until you have a QB.

We can't bank on getting Andrew Luck or any QB next season for a few reasons. First, I am very confident that there are going to be at least a few teams that are worse than us, regardless of the circumstances or player movement. Second, we have no idea what is going to happen with Luck next year. He could suck, he could get hurt, who knows. A year ago, Jake Locker was undoubtedly the best quarterback in this class...not so anymore. Finally, I can only imagine how many empty seats and lost season ticket holders there would be if it looked like we were tanking to get someone in the draft next year.

This is exactly the kind of thinking I am afraid of. This line of thinking coupled with "he's the best in this draft class" are the kiss of death. We are coupling our need with a comparison of a "class" of players at a certain position. Both are arbitrary measures. In other words, QB's don't get projected to perform any better because we need one. Furthermore, QB's being the best in their "class" requires an analysis of how strong "the class" is!! I am the best white, 37 year old , 275 pound triathlete in my home. That doesn't mean you should bet on me to with the Columbia Tri.

We need an infusion of TALENT on this team at multiple positions. The more talent we add the better we will be as a team. Foregoing talent because we have a need or Shanny only has a 5 year contract or they want to undo the MCnabb mess are all illegitimate reasons to totally REACH by trading next year's top pick for Blaine Gabbert.

We can get a top ten talent with Julio Jones, pick up a Phil Taylor or Stephon Pae, or trade down and get three high value players for a team that was inept on offense and dead worst in defense. Next year we can add more with a full compliment of picks. We can add alot in a rich free agency class too. We can even take a QB at 10 if they want. But we are straight up REACHING to trade that much for Gabbert.

Because you know for 100% certain that Jones, Taylor and Paea will not be busts. And you know for certain that Gabbert will be a bust. You know the second Shanahan passes on trading up for Gabbert and if he becomes a franchise QB, everyone will be totally pissed off that we didnt make a move for him.

Archived