Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to Jason La Canfora 's Twitter Redskins Looking to Move up to Number 2 Pick (Updated: NFL.com headline as well)

skinsrbeast

One of my favorite NFL days is quickly approaching: the day after the draft ends. No more throwing **** at a wall to see what sticks, no more Kiper, and for the time being, armchair GM's settle down a bit.

...and for the record, if we move up, I'll probably develop an ulcer.

I'd just like to say, the WP is now reporting that the Skins are (again) looking to move down in the draft to obtain more picks, but have named 3-4 players they could pick at #10. No mention of trading up in the draft.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/shanahan-redskins-could-move-down-in-draft/2011/04/27/AFXgKazE_blog.html

JLC is a Dwad.

EDIT:

And his reporting sucks. :evilg:

Amen! JLC headline fail. How the hell does this guy get steady employment???

I know you're here to provide us w/ info (info for which I am grateful, by the way), but do you have an opinion on the wisdom of such a move?

Clearly, we need many pieces and Gabbert is not a clear risk-free bet as a franchise QB, which is what I'd hope we'd get for trading away our future.

You don't think that Gabbert is a clear risk-free bet as a franchise QB.

The Redskins otoh, may very well believe that he is. :2cents:

We'd still be looking for a franchise QB.

Maybe, but we'd have had a 2nd rounder in 2010, a 4th this year, and we'd be picking lower in the first round this year where we'd be less likely to trade up and lose yet MORE picks.... and maybe be happy with whatever QB we could have found in the 16-20 range.

Just pray we can trade down.If we can't then stand pat at #10 and draft Locker,Mallett or Julio Jones.Please Please whatever we do DON"T trade up for Gabbert! this would be a catastrophe! Locker and even Dalton fit our system better than him.Just say NO to Gabbert!!!! This just seems painfully obvious to mostly everyone that this would be a stupid move and hope it's just a smokescreen.In Shanny I trust but if he pulls a boneheaded move like this...trust will be gone

I love all the people who keep saying "Oh dont believe it, its just a smoke screen". Its been confirmed by LL56, TK and JS. Its no secret anymore that we want to move up for him. Just like it wasn't a secret that we wanted to move up for Sanchez, just like it wasn't a secret that we we wanted to move up for Bradford. It doesn't depend on whether we want Gabbert or Locker for that matter. It matters if the asking price is going to be more then we are willing to pay since now everyone knows what we are looking to do.

Maybe, but we'd have had a 2nd rounder in 2010, a 4th this year, and we'd be picking lower in the first round this year where we'd be less likely to trade up and lose yet MORE picks.... and maybe be happy with whatever QB we could have found in the 16-20 range.

Fwiw, I wish we would have kept JC as well....even though I think he's mediocre.

The guy I really wanted was Cutler.....:(

Just pray we can trade down.If we can't then stand pat at #10 and draft Locker,Mallett or Julio Jones.Please Please whatever we do DON"T trade up for Gabbert! this would be a catastrophe! Locker and even Dalton fit our system better than him.Just say NO to Gabbert!!!! This just seems painfully obvious to mostly everyone that this would be a stupid move and hope it's just a smokescreen.In Shanny I trust but if he pulls a boneheaded move like this...trust will be gone

Why would Shanny miss over you which QB fits their system best?

---------- Post added April-27th-2011 at 03:57 PM ----------

I love all the people who keep saying "Oh dont believe it, its just a smoke screen". Its been confirmed by LL56, TK and JS. Its no secret anymore that we want to move up for him. Just like it wasn't a secret that we wanted to move up for Sanchez, just like it wasn't a secret that we we wanted to move up for Bradford. It doesn't depend on whether we want Gabbert or Locker for that matter. It matters if the asking price is going to be more then we are willing to pay since now everyone knows what we are looking to do.

Agree. And as far as i know we don't know what the compensation is, unless whoever threw the next years 1st and third rounder knows that it's a concrete offer?

My gut tells me that we're moving up. Denver doesn't want to commit X million dollars to a DL player... especially in what is probably the last year of exorbitant rookie contracts. By all accounts Elway is not sold on Tebow. Denver may stockpile picks, save money, and use both to put themselves in the Luck sweepstakes. It's not out of the question for them as they are picking #2 this year.

I feel that Denver is going to give us okay value because there aren't many teams willing to move up to #2 and pay a huge contract to a rookie QB. We are that team.

Shanny is probably pretty upset about losing out on Bradford and he wants to start developing a player now. I'm still hoping that we stockpile picks, but it's not looking good.

He is venting his frustration ... people are allowed to do that on a fan web site, you know.

Yeah, but its overdramatic and 99 percent of the time its not true. Every team makes foolish mistakes, and lord knows that we have made our fair share. But our current regime has not been in place for very long, so they cannot be blamed for past mistakes. If someone doesn't trust the people that are very experienced and paid quite well to make the important decisions for this team, then maybe they should follow a different team.

And venting usually takes place after something has actually happened. And even if this highly questionable rumor was true and we trade to move up and get Gabbert, if people vent after the trade and not after seeing the actual result on the field, I think that would be a little outlandish. But as you say, that is what people do on a fan web site.

Exactly. Just because we want to do it does not mean it is going to happen. There are a lot of things that I want to do that have no chance of happening.

If we indeed go through with this, don't you think that it will be time to retire the old line about Shanahan being a master chess player when it comes to the draft? At this point, this is the worst kept secret in the NFL.

Did anyone hear the Shanahan press conference? According to Grant Paulsen (on Lavar & Dukes) Shanahan pretty much shot this rumor down. Paulsen said not to rule out Shanahan moving up for Gabbert but that it will probably only happen if he falls to the Titans.

You don't think that Gabbert is a clear risk-free bet as a franchise QB.

The Redskins otoh, may very well believe that he is. :2cents:

Exactly. Hey everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I am surprised how confident some people are in stating their take in definitive terms -- somehow they have the most difficult position to judge in sports figured out -- while poor Shanny with all his expertise, scouting tape, interviews is somehow flailing in the wind and making a reckless crap shoot decision.

I guess ... but my sense is that he isn't nearly the risk-free QB candidate that Sam Bradford was.

Bradford had a lot of risk. He hurt his shoulder every time he was touched his last year at Oklahoma. And the spread offense at OU had some people wondering whether his skills translated to the NFL.

Did anyone hear the Shanahan press conference? According to Grant Paulsen (on Lavar & Dukes) Shanahan pretty much shot this rumor down. Paulsen said not to rule out Shanahan moving up for Gabbert but that it will probably only happen if he falls to the Titans.

I didn't but saw some tweets about it, looking to find the feed on it

Edit; i wouldn't expect shanny to admit a trade in advance it kills your leverage and it gives heads up to competitors. Still I've said it could be a smokescreen, why not? seems also potentially feasible. I'll go for it if he pulls the trigger and be perfectly fine if he doesn't.

Paradoxically, that may end up saving us. By telegraphing this move 2 days before the draft, the asking price gets ramped up to a point that prevents us from executing the trade.

Probably the best thing that could happen, honestly.

Actually, Shanahan did not address trading up at all. So pretty much what you would expect Mike Shanahan the jedi mind-tricker to do if he was planning on trading up.

He did discuss trading down tho...

Archived