Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Reid's Hate for the Skins

Gibbsisgod2006

Yesterday I was listening to Lavar and Dukes on the way home. Jason Reid was their guess they were talking about the Redskin's schedule and what their record is going to be next year. Then Jason Reid goes on to say that the skins will never be good until our front office is a mess gets cleaned up and Shannahan is nothing more than a joke when it comes to making personnel decisions. Jason Reid also went on to sat said that Shannahan could be out of here next year if he doesn't turn things around because Snyder might want some control back that he gave up. It seems every time Jason Reid gets on the air that he is constantly blasting the Skins on moves they make or what happen with McNabb. Why does Jason Reid hate the skins so much?

I don't think it's hate but its ignorant. All of these talking heads think they know how to build a team and Reid is among them. It's all monday morning quartberbacking with no acknowledgement of when they were wrong. He was crapping on Bradford going into the draft last year and said we have to address the o-line. Guess what, we used the 4th pick on an LT who played well, but Bradford looks like a franchise QB. And admittedly Shanny made mistakes last year, but these clowns like J Reid are drawing final conclusions on his tenure here based on one year and are saying he should be gone, yet they get on the radio or write that the Skins problems are a lack of stability. Why not give Shanny more than a year then! 100% hypocricy.

Also predicting schedules at this point is absolutely assenine consider we haven't had FA or the draft.

Jason Reid has a beef with Shanahan that goes back to last year's training camp. I can't find the link so correct me if I'm wrong. But if I remember correctly, Reid was reporting on who would start at certain postions for Redskins Insider, namely the front 7 in the new 3-4 defense. Shanahan did not want to tip his hand to future opponents, so he placed restrictions on what the media could report on. If reporters did not adhere to his guidelines, they would no longer be welcome at Redskins Park.

Totally agreed with Shanahan at the time. It made life hard for Jason Reid, leaving a bitter taste in his mouth regarding Shanahan.

i really dont know why but his stuttering

Acting like a "brother" at the beginning of the interview

Calling Lavar "partner"

And him not bringing anything I couldnt tell you to the table makes me sick.

I think UnWise Mike is better than J. Reid and Wise is horrible himself.

Maybe he doesn't hate them but believes what he is saying. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that's all this is, his opinion. Just because he is a writer, it doesn't make his any more valid than yours or mine.

Maybe but it seems that he goes out of his way to tear down the Redskin's every chance he gets when he is on the air.

I don't pay much attention to anything Reid says or writes. He doesn't seem to know much more about the Skins than most on here. Most of his reports are about how they need to do this or how Shanahan is terrible, or something similar. If you want inside Skins news, follow TK, JSteelz, or lavarleap56 on twitter.

I recall when Reid replaced JLC, a lot of praise came on from the JLC haters about how things well get so much better. I recall saying on that pro Reid thread that watching Reid on Comcast and reading his stuff at the time, he strikes me as intense anti-Redskins FO as JLC so I didn't get all the rejoicing.

For me personally, I'd take Reid's inside Redskins column over what they have now which is basically nothing. JLC I miss (yeah he can get too negative) not becuase I cared about his slant but he actually had some good scoops. I know its popular to say JLC was always wrong or behind the curve, I didn't find that to be the case -- heck I remember one draft he was calling who the Skins would take in the later rounds before it happened including HB Blades. JLC's blog was active. Reid's not as much -- and the current crew have no scoops at all.

---------- Post added April-21st-2011 at 12:10 PM ----------

I don't pay much attention to anything Reid says or writes. He doesn't seem to know much more about the Skins than most on here. Most of his reports are about how they need to do this or how Shanahan is terrible, or something similar. If you want inside Skins news, follow TK, JSteelz, or lavarleap56 on twitter.

Yeah also the 106.7 guys and the beat people who go on it like Reid are relentlessly anti-Skins with maybe the exception of Paulson, who is negative but not as over the top as the other guys. I think part of it is marketing, the station likes to give the impression that 980 is pro-snyder because he owns it and only they will give the real scoop which is BS if you ever listen to 980 people like Czaben.

Maybe but it seems that he goes out of his way to tear down the Redskin's every chance he gets when he is on the air.

So what if he does? There are a ton of sportswriters who do the same thing. There isn't much the Skins can do that would cause me to stop rooting for them. I started as a young kid so it's been about 40 years now that I have rooted for them. I get pissed at them all the time, but I never stop rooting for them.

You guys are funny. Every writer everywhere apparently hates the Redskins according to this place. People get made when the predictions are for a bad season, and with the exception of a few times in the past 10 years, they've been spot on. At what point do we just say "well, until they prove otherwise and see then results.....this is who they are."?

People expect this super scoop info. But you have an ownership who wants to sue a newspaper and makes us BS excuses "why". You've got a team trying to be your unfiltered source of info, which happens to be the most filtered of all. There is no media conspiracy here. This is what happens when you cover a bad team who trips over their own feet for the better part of a decade.

So what if he does? There are a ton of sportswriters who do the same thing. There isn't much the Skins can do that would cause me to stop rooting for them. I started as a young kid so it's been about 40 years now that I have rooted for them. I get pissed at them all the time, but I never stop rooting for them.

Your right its not going to change my opinion about the skins but it does get annoying after awhile when you here it over and over again.

You guys are funny. Every writer everywhere apparently hates the Redskins according to this place. People get made when the predictions are for a bad season, and with the exception of a few times in the past 10 years, they've been spot on. At what point do we just say "well, until they prove otherwise and see then results.....this is who they are."?

People expect this super scoop info. But you have an ownership who wants to sue a newspaper and makes us BS excuses "why". You've got a team trying to be your unfiltered source of info, which happens to be the most filtered of all. There is no media conspiracy here. This is what happens when you cover a bad team who trips over their own feet for the better part of a decade.

im with you dude, most people just hate any time someone writes anything negative about the skins, and blatant truth be told, this team isnt very good and we have TONS of holes. but Reid IS a moron. his love affair with jason campbell was unrivaled, hes made numerous stupid comments about the front office that just have no weight. i mean think about this, our front office has had exactly 1 draft and 1 free agency period. we've made one mistake so far that i agreed with at the time, aside from that weve found good players in the draft and off the street. in one offseason we added Trent Williams, Brandon Banks, Anthony Armstrong, Ryan Torrain, Adam Carriker: these are 5 real contributors on our team. if this front office can duplicate this success 2 or 3 more times were looking at a legit NFL roster with real NFL talent. it takes time tho, and granted this fan base doesnt understand that, and thats ok, ill listen to the idiots call in on the radio and tell Lavar and Dukes that we need to draft 19 oline and rebuild the hogs and grind out wins like its 1986, but i really like what ive seen so far from this front office.

only mistake was mcnabb, we move on now. id argue that bruce allen added more to this roster last offseason than vinny cerrato did in the last 3 years of his tenure.

I agree but you have to give Shanny a chance before you start writing him off and saying he can't make front office moves. Take for example Jason points out that last year the Skins did really horrible job addressing the switch to the 3-4 through Free Agency but what he fails to point out is that the Free Agency market was very limited with the amount of free agents that were available.

I have no issue with being criticial of this team because the record speaks for itself, however I do have a problem with the hypocricy, irresponsible reporting, and lack of acknowledgement of where they've been wrong...Some examples:

1. Vinny still had influence and was going to convince Dan to draft Jimmy Clausen at #4

2. Drafting Bradford would have been a huge mistake

3. Why didn't they do more to address the o-line (drafting Trent, trading for Brown, signing Hicks and Kory apparently wasn't enough in a year w/ lmited free agency. Apparently you can rebuild a whole o-line in one offseason now!)

4. They're going to go after Randy Moss (although we passed on him last year)

5. We should be run more like the Eagles or Pats BUT at the same time we should re-sign Carlos Rogers who is will be a 30-year old cornerback come opening day next season and will demand a sizeable deal in free agency. His sitaution is also consistently compared to Pierce's and Clark's. Antonio was 27 when he left and Ryan Clark was 26. Not the same situation and the money for each was a lot less. We made mistakes but it is NOT comparable to Roger's situation.

There is no media conspiracy here. This is what happens when you cover a bad team who trips over their own feet for the better part of a decade.

No question Snyder's tenure has been marked by chronic incompetency. Marketing, coaching, personnel... everything has underachieved.

But this is a very, very different franchise than it was a year ago, and most of the changes are improvements. Snyder's still an idiot, but at least he's a peripheral idiot. Bruce Allen runs a front office (and distributes contracts) like someone who's actually done it before. And Shanny--whether we agree with his handling of McNabb and Haynesworth or not--is a qualifed coach whose players have fully bought in.

My point is that Reid and a great many of his cynical, disenchanted journo colleagues are living in the past. They will quickly become relics when the tide finally starts to turn, and they're accelerating their own demises by alienating fans along the way.

Jason is an intellectual lightweight. He's shown it time and time again. He's trying his best to follow in JLC's footsteps because hey, being a contrarian means you get a gig on NFLN, and you never get called out for all the things you were wrong about.

And hey, let's face it, you're better off picking against the Skins than you are for them.

Jason isn't smart enough or strong enough a person to blaze his own trail or form his own opinion about anything. Everybody in the press corps knows it.

For me personally, I'd take Reid's inside Redskins column over what they have now which is basically nothing.

I'll take the "nothing" they have now. It's more entertaining than reading column after column about how much Reid thought the Skins were a hopeless disaster. That got old when it was JLC's shtick.

At least now they're talking about what the team might be doing instead of whether or not the FO is stupid for doing what they "might" be doing.

Reid was a joke on the Redskins Insider. His blog entries were rarely anything I hadn't heard before and he would go days without an update. But really since Jason La Canfora left the Redskins Insider blog has gone way downhill. Yeah JLC was really hard on the skins, sometimes unfairly so, but he was a hell of a reporter and actually had insider info to report.

thin skinned are some of my fellow fans.

I agree Shanny and Bruce deserve time...and at the same time, the McNabb stuff was handled poorly. I actually like how Albert was handled after he lied about showing at Mini-Camp. He wasn't in shape and deserved to be worked like a dog. Shanny make his mistakes in year one. Looking back, McNabb trade was a mistake. Probably Brown too. That's draft picks right there. I don't blame them for thinking they had a team a lot closer to competing that what was really here. But the truth is that they dropped the ball there and the record doesn't look that different from Zorn's final year. That doesn't mean Shanny WON'T turn it around. That means they deserve to be called out on their mistakes. Just like their successes for taking a LT in the 1st. Or finding a gem in Banks.

There is overly positive coverage which can be found from guys like Larry Michael who at one time said he'd take Jason Campbell over Peyton Manning because Manning was "due" for an injury.

There is overly negative coverage which does happen.

Then there is realistic coverage, which I think some people just can't handle. It upsets them too much. Thin roster, lots of rebuilding needed, didn't get off to a great start with that, traded some picks, lost some games against bad teams, injuries, bad character guys, etc.

That's just how it is. They were a bad team, and when you're losing...most of your stories aren't going to be about the great stuff that's happening. Just because Orakpo played well doesn't mean he trumps the benching of McNabb, then the 2min drill excuse, then the cardio excuse. Come on.

It's simple.

Reid, like JLC before him, is a jocksniffer.

They love being around the players. Buddying around with them. Jason Campbell spent so much time with Reid that Zorn told him to cut back on it.

Now, even reporters who aren't jocksniffers have a problem with Shanahan because he never tells them anything. Or if he does, it's a lie.

But Reid HATES Shanahan. The whole McNabb/Fletcher Smith fiasco was the best example of this. Reid would write whatever Smith told him to write. Getting the coaches side of the story? Reid never even thought about it. And when Smith's accusations -- the ones Reid reported as fact -- were proven to be false? Well, Reid never wrote a word about that.

The guy is incredibly biased.

Archived