Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What concerts have you been to, or going to this year?

SC_RedskinsFan

Taking wife to see Avenged Sevenfold for her birthday May 13th. Three Day Grace and Bullet For My Valentine open the show. Bought VIP seats at Zoo Amp so we'll be close to the stage.

In 1986 I saw Beastie Boys and Run DMC at the Myriad, 2 row on the floor. Still best concert I've been too, EVER.

I've kind of slowed down on shows this year (saw a ton in 2010). Marc Cohn and Sarah McLaughlin so far for 2011. Cohn was really great as he played a really small venue (and he pulled out a few cover versions of some great tunes). We're still in the pre-summer doldrums out here with not anything too great coming thru soon.

Going to Huey Lewis at Wolf Trap. About 5 years ago I received free tickets to a show of his, and it was damn good, much to my surprise. So now I catch him anytime he's in the area.

I've never been a big fan of Huey Lewis and the News.. they're not bad, good catchy pop tunes, just not really my style.

However, for a nice surprise I was once listening to an old live Thin Lizzy album or tape or something,, don't remember.. but in the middle was this great harmonica player, and after one of his solos Phil Lynott introduces him as Huey Lewis... before he hit it big on his own.

I can see how they'd be a fun show.. he's a good showman and as i said, their tunes are catchy.

~Bang

That would have been a good concert...20 years ago.

Are you guys serious? Def Leppard are still to this day one of the best live bands around. Sure Joe Elliott's voice is not what it once was but yours wouldn't be either after almost 35 years of singing. What I find amusing is how many people find a reason to pick on Def Leppard. They are one of the most popular bands of all time. They write great, catchy melodic tunes with some great guitar work. I just don't understand why so many take so much time ripping them. lol

Are you guys serious? Def Leppard are still to this day one of the best live bands around. Sure Joe Elliott's voice is not what it once was but yours wouldn't be either after almost 35 years of singing. What I find amusing is how many people find a reason to pick on Def Leppard. They are one of the most popular bands of all time. They write great, catchy melodic tunes with some great guitar work. I just don't understand why so many take so much time ripping them. lol

Slow your roll, fella. I never said I didn't like Def Leppard. In fact, I used to love them back in the day. But man, back in the day was about 25 years ago! They haven't been relevant in forever. I can't imagine they are one of the best live bands out there today, either. That's crazy talk.

On a side note: Are they one of those bands that doesn't do iTunes? The reason I ask is because I don't think I have any of their songs downloaded. I think I remember trying to download some of their songs once, to no avail.

Slow your roll, fella. I never said I didn't like Def Leppard. In fact, I used to love them back in the day. But man, back in the day was about 25 years ago! They haven't been relevant in forever. I can't imagine they are one of the best live bands out there today, either. That's crazy talk.

On a side note: Are they one of those bands that doesn't do iTunes? The reason I ask is because I don't think I have any of their songs downloaded. I think I remember trying to download some of their songs once, to no avail.

Please define relevant. To me they aren't are popular as they once were but hell, not many bands are. They still make new music and tour almost non-stop. Def Leppard will be releasing a new live album in June which will feature three new tracks. They were the headliners at the Download Festival (formerly Monsters of Rock) in the U.K. in 2009 and will be headlining again there this year. They are one of only five rock bands with two original studio albums selling over 10 million copies in the U.S As for being one of the best live bands there are, many people say this. I have seen them no less than 25 times and have yet to be disappointed.

The only Def Leppard song available on Itunes at the moment is a song called Undefeated which will be on the live album I mentioned earlier. With their catalog of music I don't understand why they are Itunes holdouts.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/undefeated-single/id432449359

Here's the new tune, have a listen.

I am also a live music junky so I found a way to see alot of shows for no money--I work concert security. I see alot of shows I would never pay money for but end up being good and sometimes I discover new music that I fall in love with. This year I have already seen Avenged Sevenfold,George Strait, Bob Seger, Bassnectar, Sara Barrellis and Joe Bonnamaso---and got paid to see each one. And the extra cash lets me go see shows I want to see--check out the line up I am seeing this weekend:

www.memphisinmay.org

Eh, doesn't count.

There's just something special about being in the crowd at a live show for a band whose songs you can sing along with word for word.. Just me:)

I'll tell you why I rip them.

I saw them open for Ted Nugent and the Scorpions on their first American tour.. they were about 16 yrs old,,, and they were GREAT.

And then they turned into every other hitmaker "metal" band from the 80s.. tired themes, hack lyrics, pedestrian riffs and oh-so-boring "arena rock".

the drummer lost an arm and they never stopped to think that a drummer is MUCH better with two arms, and the "music" they created to compensate sucks.

Is that a good enough reason?

~Bang

I don't usually like music festivals too much on account of the general griminess of camping out in the middle of nowhere with drunk and high people.

BUT, I'm going to make a huge exception and go to Outside Lands (at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco)... I guess it's not really an exception, but I live in SF so I can always have access to all the luxuries of life. Anyway here's the line up:

Muse Phish, Arcade Fire, Black Keys, Deadmau5. Mgmt, Girl talk, Decemberists, John Fogerty, Erykah Badu, Meters, Beirut, The Roots, Arctic Monkeys, Bad, Sts9, Warren Haynes, Big Boi, Major Lazer, Little Dragon, Julieta Venegas, Sia, Ok Go, Greyboy, Josh Ritter, Old97s, Mavisstaples.... and a bunch of others

I'll tell you why I rip them.

I saw them open for Ted Nugent and the Scorpions on their first American tour.. they were about 16 yrs old,,, and they were GREAT.

And then they turned into every other hitmaker "metal" band from the 80s.. tired themes, hack lyrics, pedestrian riffs and oh-so-boring "arena rock".

the drummer lost an arm and they never stopped to think that a drummer is MUCH better with two arms, and the "music" they created to compensate sucks.

Is that a good enough reason?

~Bang

If by hack lyrics you mean pure genius....move over Mr. Tambourine Man!

Pour some sugar on me, ooh, in the name of love

Pour some sugar on me, c'mon fire me up

Pour your sugar on me, oh, I can't get enough

I'm hot, sticky sweet from my head to my feet yeah

---------- Post added April-25th-2011 at 08:40 PM ----------

I don't usually like music festivals too much on account of the general griminess of camping out in the middle of nowhere with drunk and high people.

BUT, I'm going to make a huge exception and go to Outside Lands (at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco)... I guess it's not really an exception, but I live in SF so I can always have access to all the luxuries of life. Anyway here's the line up:

Muse Phish, Arcade Fire, Black Keys, Deadmau5. Mgmt, Girl talk, Decemberists, John Fogerty, Erykah Badu, Meters, Beirut, The Roots, Arctic Monkeys, Bad, Sts9, Warren Haynes, Big Boi, Major Lazer, Little Dragon, Julieta Venegas, Sia, Ok Go, Greyboy, Josh Ritter, Old97s, Mavisstaples.... and a bunch of others

You had me at Muse and Arcade Fire.

Rock the Bells.

I'll be going to that one. They are always one of the last festivals to announce dates and artists every year it seems.

I'm going to see Atmosphere this wednesday at 9:30 club. I'm super pumped, it will be my first time seeing them and I'm a big fan.

Took the kid to see Imagination Movers when they were in Frederick last week. It was actually very good. One of the few Disney shows I don't mind watching with her. Going to see Zac Brown / Kenny Chesney in June at Fed Ex.

If by hack lyrics you mean pure genius....move over Mr. Tambourine Man!

You had me at Muse and Arcade Fire.

Not everything that's good has to be a lyrical gem. :)

Not one for Muse. I try, but man, they just grate on me. I'm with you on Arcade Fire, and would love to see that show.

~Bang

• 9 months later...

Now it is time for the 2012 lineup!

I am going to see Elton John in Charleston SC on March 7th.

Then on friday April 27th I'm gonna see Van Halen in Nashville, then run in the rock n roll marathon saturday morning, and on sunday in Atlanta see Tom Petty. That's gonna be a very busy weekend!

I hope to see Gary Clark Jr sometime again this year too.

Only tix I have for this year are for the Chili Peppers here in Greensboro. Unfortunately the shows been moved to April 9th. Received an email saying my tix were still good. But then a few weeks later I received one saying tix were going on sale on such and such date. Im guessing the tix are still good since Ive yet to see any refund to my checking account.

Archived