Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How the **** do you scan something to a PDF file?

Springfield

This is seriously disturbing.

I'm in the process of purchasing a home right now. I have dozens and dozens of files that I have had sent to me. Most, if not all, of the files that have been sent to me have to be signed and scanned back to my PC. After that, I need to return the signed files to my mortgage lender in the form of an email with a PDF.

My HP PSC 1610 All-in-One printer,scanner,copier doesn't scan these files as a PDF, only jpg or bmp are available to me. I have Adobe reader and all that garbage.

How the **** am I supposed to scan all of these files back to my PC to email them back to the sender? All that a google search comes up with is garbage programs that want you to pay money in order to convert your files into PDF.

What the ****ing ****?

PS: Sorry for sounding like Westy, I've been drinking.

The software that comes with the printer/scanner should allow you to choose the output file format. The default for my cannon scanner is pdf, and can't imagine any recent printer that doesn't support it. Is it possible that you're just missing the option in the software? RTFM?

Usually I just go to abode.com. They have tools for this

Or scan them in at work. The only problem with scanning actual documents, as opposed to electronic documents is how big the files become.

Adobe only converts 5 for free. After that, you have to buy their stuff.

They won't let you fax them back?

I can, but the only fax I have is at work. I'd rather do it through email. That is how all of our other correspondences have been.

My HP printer scans to PDF just fine. What year is your printer, 1975? They all do it now.

It was probably used by Fred Flintstone. Seriously though, it's probably about 5 years old.

The software that comes with the printer/scanner should allow you to choose the output file format. The default for my cannon scanner is pdf, and can't imagine any recent printer that doesn't support it. Is it possible that you're just missing the option in the software? RTFM?

The only options it gives me for scanning documents is BMP, JPG, PNG and TIF. I know BMP and JPG... have no idea what PNG and TIF are though. I have no idea what RTFM is either.

Try Cutepdf. It's a free program that basically "prints" files to a pdf format.

http://www.cutepdf.com/

I might have to do that.

If you can't get a pdf the jpg copy should be fine to send them. But the cutepdf is you best bet.

I might do a copy to jpg just because it's easier. Let them figure it out on their end. I'm sure the'll be able to "see" a jpg.

open in illustrator - export as PDF (or save as PDF).

Meh, no illustrator. I have Reader and that's all. Right now, I'm down to a laptop and that's all. I'll probably keep it that way because my interest in "hardcore" computing has waned in the last couple of years.

Adobe only converts 5 for free. After that, you have to buy their stuff.

I have to put everything into .pdf to apply for jobs- transcripts, resumes, cover letters, etc. I just use different email addresses for the free Adobe pdfs. I've probably scanned 20 or so documents to pdf off of 4 email addresses for free

I have to put everything into .pdf to apply for jobs- transcripts, resumes, cover letters, etc. I just use different email addresses for the free Adobe pdfs. I've probably scanned 20 or so documents to pdf off of 4 email addresses for free

Lol, never thought of that! I have always acquired the full version of acrobat.

---------- Post added April-1st-2011 at 12:12 AM ----------

Lol, never thought of that! I have always acquired the full version of acrobat.

I got it folks. I had to get a back dated driver and software for my old ass piece of **** "all in one". I'm scanning at least 100,000 pages to PDF right now so hopefully this works. Otherwise, god meant for me to not buy this place. A little bit of Nirvana works when trying to figure out this ****.

Please tell me it's not really 100,000 pages..

I've used Staples and other places to Fax; of course the price is outrageous but its very infrequently.

It's not really 100,000 pages. So far it's been like 20 but when a cheesy website can only give you 5 for free it's pretty bad. Luckily I was able to find the downloadable software for my old ass printer/scanner/fax. This should be total freeware, I have no idea why there isn't some program that allows the free transfer or scan of pdf files. They are so commonplace that it should be so. I understand an adobe program that costs hundreds of dollars. I don't understand an adobe program that most people use for emailing documents.

There's a program on sourceforge.net that will convert jpg's to pdf's. I've used it, it is free and unlimited.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpgtopdf/files/alpha_2008-03-21/Rel%201/

Download the j2p.exe file. put the exe in the same folder as the file(s) you want to convert and run it. If you want to put one jpg file in a pdf by itself, you have to put the jpg in a folder by itself. If you want multiple jpgs in the same document, put them in the folder with the exe and run it. Done, and done.

If absolutely all else fails, we have full versions of Adobe at my work on our computers. I know there's probably personal information on there, so I understand your hesitance, but if you exhaust everything else, you can always e-mail the stuff to me, I can print everything to .pdf for you and send it back in fairly short order.

I got it folks. I had to get a back dated driver and software for my old ass piece of **** "all in one". I'm scanning at least 100,000 pages to PDF right now so hopefully this works. Otherwise, god meant for me to not buy this place. A little bit of Nirvana works when trying to figure out this ****.

Naw, don't give up man. If all else fails just purchase a new All in on printer. They're not that expensive. I recently bought an HP 3 in one (which includes scanning) for about $70. Don't allow that to discourage you from purchasing your home.

---------- Post added April-1st-2011 at 08:00 AM ----------

If absolutely all else fails, we have full versions of Adobe at my work on our computers. I know there's probably personal information on there, so I understand your hesitance, but if you exhaust everything else, you can always e-mail the stuff to me, I can print everything to .pdf for you and send it back in fairly short order.

Same here.

Archived