• Under 40 - Jeisa Chiminazzo
    • Over 40 - Jennifer Aniston
    • Over 40 - Naomi Watts
    • Olympic - Alicia Sacramone
    • Olympic - Alona Bondarenko
    • Reality Star - Parvati Shallow
    • Reality Star - Mallory Snyder

Claire McCaskill Failed to Pay Taxes on Aircraft

Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo) said Monday she will sell her private plane and pay back $287,273 in four years of back taxes, the latest chapter in a politically embarrassing saga for the moderate Democrat facing a tough reelection battle in 2012.

McCaskill has been answering questions about the plane since POLITICO recently reported that she billed taxpayers for a political trip around Missouri. POLITICO also reported that McCaskill spent $76,000 from her Senate budget on trips on the aircraft over the past four years, prompting the senator to refund the Treasury Department more than $88,000 for the cost of the trips plus pilot fees.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51675.html#ixzz1HHohEz7X

Good for her for paying back the cost of her trip, but this part has to sting a little:

On top of this, McCaskill signed on in February as a co-sponsor of Senate legislation that would fire federal employees if they are “seriously delinquent” in paying their own federal taxes.

Oops. But I highly doubt this law would pass without congress (everybody, on both sides) exempting themselves from such a law anyway.

Part of me says that these things have to be accidents.

I mean, don't these people know what kind of microscope they're under?

(Hell, why not just get a lobbyist to pay for it?)

Article says she's an auditor (was the MO state auditor from 99-07), so you'd think this would be something you know to check for. I can understand the error, but damn if underpaying by $70k a year isn't something you'd notice. I wish I was that rich. It's amazing that somebody in congress can either be that ignorant of tax law, or that bad at hiring an accountant.

Jeeze-o-petes why can't Democrats get their heads out of their collective arses and learn to put their money in offshore numbered accounts like the Republicans?! This is just getting embarrassing now.

I love your ability to turn every thread and post into a partisan debate. All our leaders are dirty man, it's only be degree that they're any different.

I love your ability to turn every thread and post into a partisan debate. All our leaders are dirty man, it's only be degree that they're any different.

You did of course notice that I never once tried to dismiss what she did, right? I thought what I was saying was, "Yes McCaskill is a dimwitted tool who didn't pay her taxes on a very expensive toy, and yes the Republicans avoid paying taxes too." Like you said, all of them are dirty, now, look back at what I wrote and find in there where anything I said contradicts that, in fact look back at what I wrote and realize that I said the exact same thing you did, only with a higher degree of snark and sarcasm, with an ounce of disgust thrown in for good measure.

I'm never moved by any "back taxes" report about anyone. Most people aren't dumb enough to knowingly put themselves in the cross hairs of the IRS and these things tend to be costly mistakes. Either way the money is going to be paid so frankly I could care less. Maybe this will prompt her to look at property tax rates (which annoy the hell out of me).

Now if she was charged with tax evasion and trying to deceive the IRS I'd be annoyed... but then again she'd be facing jail time so it would fix itself.

It's a by product of being wealthy.

I honestly have yet to meet a rich person who didn't believe that there were a different set of rules for them, and most of them believed even those rules didn't apply..

She didn't pay taxes on it because she either

A/ didn't want to

B/ didn't feel she should have to, or

C/ didn't want to, didn't have to, and **** anyone who thinks they can make her. (my bet)

I give a zero % chance that she forgot, or that her accountants forgot, or her lawyers forgot, or her staff forgot.

~Bang

Jeeze-o-petes why can't Democrats get their heads out of their collective arses and learn to put their money in offshore numbered accounts like the Republicans?!
She really should have consulted Pelosi on how to get unlimited free plane travel without actually owning a plane.

Also the plane was the property of her Delaware shell company.

Heck, I suspect it is an "accident" What do they say about ignorance being an excuse for breaking the law. She deserves to get slapped and her accountant deserves to be slapped twice.

At least he's consistent. You can count on it just like the sun.

Additional info on ol Claire. Not only did she not pay her taxes she bilked the taxpayers for the use of her private plane and got caught . How frugal of her.

In a conference call with reporters, Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill just disclosed that she failed to pay $287,000 in property taxes related to her co-ownership of a private aircraft. This scandal comes quickly on the heels of recent revelations that McCaskill improperly billed taxpayers for use of the same private aircraft, for which McCaskill reimbursed the Treasury $88,000

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/breaking-sen-claire-mccaskil-d-mo-admits-failing-pay-287000-property-taxes_554904.html

Public slappings...great idea! When a member of the Senate does something stupid, the opposition party picks a representative to wind up and let go right on the floor of the Senate. Imagine the ratings CSPAN would get for that.

I love this idea.

Public slappings...great idea! When a member of the Senate does something stupid, the opposition party picks a representative to wind up and let go right on the floor of the Senate. Imagine the ratings CSPAN would get for that.

Pay per view. We need to address the deficit somehow.

At least he's consistent. You can count on it just like the sun.

If I'm the Pot then it's nice to meet you Mr. Kettle.

BTW, I wasn't making this a partisan argument I was making this a "their all dirtbags" argument, so if that's partisan then it's because both parties are full of crooks.

Jeeze-o-petes why can't Democrats get their heads out of their collective arses and learn to put their money in offshore numbered accounts like the Republicans?! This is just getting embarrassing now.
You did of course notice that I never once tried to dismiss what she did, right? I thought what I was saying was, "Yes McCaskill is a dimwitted tool who didn't pay her taxes on a very expensive toy, and yes the Republicans avoid paying taxes too." Like you said, all of them are dirty, now, look back at what I wrote and find in there where anything I said contradicts that, in fact look back at what I wrote and realize that I said the exact same thing you did, only with a higher degree of snark and sarcasm, with an ounce of disgust thrown in for good measure.
If I'm the Pot then it's nice to meet you Mr. Kettle.

BTW, I wasn't making this a partisan argument I was making this a "their all dirtbags" argument, so if that's partisan then it's because both parties are full of crooks.

Do you expect us to buy this? You roll around the Tailgate taking issue with anything that has an R next to it.

Your original response literally smacks of sarcasm, and a "Reps do it this way, so it can't be bad if the Dems do it" vibe.

Your explanations of your original post are back tracks and diversions, including pointing to another poster as doing the same thing (notice a trend? Reps do it! HEEE does it!).

Do you expect us to buy this? You roll around the Tailgate taking issue with anything that has an R next to it.

Your original response literally smacks of sarcasm, and a "Reps do it this way, so it can't be bad if the Dems do it" vibe.

Your explanations of your original post are back tracks and diversions, including pointing to another poster as doing the same thing (notice a trend? Reps do it! HEEE does it!).

I don't think it was a "so it can't be bad if the Dems do it" type of issue. I took it to mean both sides are dirty, Even though this had nothing to do with the Right.

Just more a matter of him practicing deflection.

You guys are hilarious. Freud would call what you're doing "projection". Look it up.
Really? So you don't think you roll through threads constantly ****ing about anything Rep and belittling anyone who espouses their beliefs? Hell, you have a sig that screams you hate FoxNews. You are like the ex-smoker who repeatedly and incessantly ***** about smokers and how second hand smoke makes you sick. We get it. You used to be a Rep, got burned and now are nauseated to even read the letter R next to someones name. You used to rely on FoxNews as a source and feel they are not a news organization anymore. But your tireless ranting and objection to anything Rep is getting ridiculous and old. It is getting very difficult to take you seriously anymore.

Really? So you don't think you roll through threads constantly ****ing about anything Rep and belittling anyone who espouses their beliefs? Hell, you have a sig that screams you hate FoxNews. You are like the ex-smoker who repeatedly and incessantly ***** about smokers and how second hand smoke makes you sick. We get it. You used to be a Rep, got burned and now are nauseated to even read the letter R next to someones name. You used to rely on FoxNews as a source and feel they are not a news organization anymore. But your tireless ranting and objection to anything Rep is getting ridiculous and old. It is getting very difficult to take you seriously anymore.

And yet did I excuse either group? Did I blame one group over another? No.......but for some reason my original post was considered partisan...so exactly which party was I attacking over the other?

The Dems who are too stupid to figure out how to hide paying their taxes.

or

The Reps who hide their taxes in offshore accounts.

Here's a hint....BOTH.

But, because I don't like the GOP you immediately say that I'm making this partisan when the fact is that my OP bashed both of them. The fact is that my OP was NOT partisan. I could care less about McCaskill and I think was she did was stupid, and I think that there are a lot of other politicians who are lined up right beside her doing the exact same thing and they are ALL wrong Dem or GOP alike.

I give a zero % chance that she forgot, or that her accountants forgot, or her lawyers forgot, or her staff forgot.
Actually, it sounds like she, her lawyer or accountant likely made a mistake.
The plane, a 2001 single-engine turbo-prop Pilatus PC-12, is hangared at Spirit of St. Louis Airport, McCaskill confirmed. But it’s owned by Timesaver LLC, a Delaware-based corporation created in July 2006 during her Senate run against Republican incumbent Jim Talent.

Many companies incorporate in Delaware because of its lax tax laws and business-friendly environment; the state doesn’t charge a personal property tax. But McCaskill was still on the hook in Missouri because the Show Me State requires aircraft owners to pay personal property taxes in the county where the plane is physically hangared.

McCaskill insisted she wasn’t trying to dodge paying taxes on the plane, which Aircraft Bluebook says is valued at $2.2 million.

“Frankly, having the plane owned in Delaware would not negate the necessity of paying the personal property tax in Missouri” she said. “This is a mistake. It should have been reported in Missouri. It was owed in Missouri. It will be paid in Missouri today.”

In 2010, McCaskill’s husband paid $1,082 in personal property taxes on two vehicles, a Saturn Vue and a Chevy Tahoe, St. Louis County tax records show. But the senator said she only recently became aware that Missouri also imposed a property tax in private aircraft. A previous plane was kept in Illinois, which does not have a personal property tax, she said.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51675.html#ixzz1HLI52P4a

Airplanes are taxed as personal property in Missouri, but not in Delaware, and not in Illinois. Do you pay personal property taxes on your car in Maryland? You don't have to, but you would have to pay a tax if you moved to Virginia. The rules are not simple, and accountants and lawyers make a lot of money helping people to navigate those rules.

I think Larry is right.

These are accidents. Taxes are ridiculously complicated for no good reason, and if you make any significant money or own significant property, there is no simple answer to exactly how much you are supposed to pay. You can claim income or property in one state or the other, to one family member or another, as part of one company or another, or in one year or another. You would think that politicians would try to simplify things after they have been caught in mistakes a few times, but the tax code only seems to get more and more complex.

Archived