Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Season Ticket Renewals

bryantlc

Since its a slow offseason day at ES, some people might be interested to learn the Niners have released their Seat Buyers Lisence fees for non premium seating in the new stadium, opening in 2014. The average seat will triple in ST holder cost. Many of the Niners long time GA ticket holders in prime locations at Candlestick Park will be asked to shell out up to 6 times what they are currently paying per game, if they wish to retain comparable locations in Santa Clara.

Here's an article from the Mercury News:

http://www.mercurynews.com/southbayfootball/ci_20815154/san-francisco-49ers-tickets-at-santa-clara-stadium-double-candlestick-price

Edited by RFKFedEx

Since its a slow offseason day at ES, some people might be interested to learn the Niners have released their Seat Buyers Lisence fees for non premium seating in the new stadium, opening in 2014. The average seat will triple in ST holder cost. Many of the Niners long time GA ticket holders in prime locations at Candlestick Park will be asked to shell out up to 6 times what they are currently paying per game, if they wish to retain comparable locations in Santa Clara.

Here's an article from the Mercury News:

http://www.mercurynews.com/southbayfootball/ci_20815154/san-francisco-49ers-tickets-at-santa-clara-stadium-double-candlestick-price

Honestly, I'm starting to warm up to the dump that is Fed Ex. Once you learn how to "work the system" - buying tickets/parking/tailgaiting/avoiding traffic - it really isn't as horrible as I thought it was when I was getting my footing. It's not a palace but it'll make do for now.

I will say that a new stadium and it's PSLs etc wouldn't really bother me, as I'm not nor will I ever be a season ticket holder. The STHs would absorb the PSL fees, and while a small portion of that might get passed on to me, the Redskins market is what it is and I don't see it supporting dramatically higher aftermarket prices even with a new stadium. It would suck for STHs, it wouldn't really suck for me.

Moot, as I think we are stuck with Fed Ex for a very long time. But like I said, it ain't as bad as I thought it was, and if we actually had a WINNER there it would be better.

I chuckled when I read this line from the article.

'A "very limited" number of single-game tickets will be available through the 49ers and secondary ticket markets from season-ticket holders. Those seats retail for higher than the bulk-priced season tickets and, on third-party websites, can go for well above face value.'

Can't you just picture the carnival barker waving his cane in the air saying 'step right up folks, get em before they're gone.' lol

Wow, center upper deck seats come with a $2k per seat license fee? Even paid over 10 years and not accounting for interest (which this suggests they're going to charge if you don't pay in full by 2014), you are looking at $20 per seat per game for 10 years in license fees.

I can say with 100% certainty that if the Redskins were opening a new stadium on the old RFK grounds and priced it this way, I'd give up my season tickets and never look back. I mean, why would you? You could save money and only buy the games you want. Sure I you might pay more for a particular game, but I'd pay far less by avoiding buying the mandatory pre-season games and the all-too-frequent meaningless December non-division games.

I predict that before this new 49ers stadium opens, we see word of "special" pricing with PSL fees reduced or waived for some upper deck sections. I just can't see them selling that place out with pricing like that.

If PSLs ever show up in DC, count me as a long time season ticket holder who will give up his seats. My entertainment budget is tapped out at the current prices. I already have a hard time justifying the expense considering the product on the field for the past 20 years. I've been hoping for ten years for the team to finally turn it around and it has not happened. Maybe I would go to a couple games buying on the aftermarket; or maybe not. Maybe I just buy a bigger plasma screen and a better sound system. NFL needs to tread lightly. People can only afford so much to attend games. Many teams could not sell out last year and others either have had a hard time selling seats or are faking/buying up seats they can not sell at list price.

As for the 49ers....I will be shocked if they can sell out their stadium at the new prices.

If PSLs ever show up in DC, count me as a long time season ticket holder who will give up his seats. My entertainment budget is tapped out at the current prices.

I'm with you. The current prices and the cost of beer, sodas and food at the games have me questioning whether to renew or not each year. If PSLs are added, I'm out too.

Guest Spearfeather

Was upgraded from section 425, row 5. Was offered Lower Level endzone on either end, asked for section 234, ended up with section 233. I'm satisfied with that.

Anyone else currently in that section or close by?

Edited by Spearfeather

Was upgraded from section 425, row 5. Was offered Lower Level endzone on either end, asked for section 234, ended up with section 233. I'm satisfied with that.

Anyone else currently in that section or close by?

I moved fm the 426 area down to 213 last season. Not bad seats, but pretty close to visitor tunnel, and a lot of chucklehead visiting fans on gameday. I do not know if i have moved yet or not.

Honestly, I'm starting to warm up to the dump that is Fed Ex. Once you learn how to "work the system" - buying tickets/parking/tailgaiting/avoiding traffic - it really isn't as horrible as I thought it was when I was getting my footing. It's not a palace but it'll make do for now.

I will say that a new stadium and it's PSLs etc wouldn't really bother me, as I'm not nor will I ever be a season ticket holder. The STHs would absorb the PSL fees, and while a small portion of that might get passed on to me, the Redskins market is what it is and I don't see it supporting dramatically higher aftermarket prices even with a new stadium. It would suck for STHs, it wouldn't really suck for me.

Moot, as I think we are stuck with Fed Ex for a very long time. But like I said, it ain't as bad as I thought it was, and if we actually had a WINNER there it would be better.

I completely agree. And call me an idiot, but once you payoff your PSL (whatever it may be, 30k plus or whatever) do your ticket invoices go back to what they used to be (or, like they are now) or are you constantly paying for that PSL for the life of you being a STH?

Edited by DC9

I completely agree. And call me an idiot, but once you payoff your PSL (whatever it may be, 30k plus or whatever) do your ticket invoices go back to what they used to be (or, like they are now) or are you constantly paying for that PSL for the life of you being a STH?

well i think different teams implement it differently but the PSL is just a licensing fee - it's a one time amount, obviously if you spread the payments out over years you may pay interest or service charges or something. but it's a one time fee.

so it's 2k for the right to pay for the tickets. which is absurdly stupid. NFL teams are showing how dumb they think we are - that we should pay an additional 2k for the right to pay for the seats.

they're spinning it as an investment - one day you can sell your license to someone when you're ready to give up your tickets, and you can make money. but there's absolutely no evidence to back up the idea that PSL's will be worth more in the future (to be honest there's not any real hard evidence they wont be worth more either)

furthermore, in addition to paying for the PSL you have to continually pay for your seats to keep them. so you can't take a year off and retain your license. first year you don't pay for your tickets you lose your license.

it's a ticket increase. plain and simple. the alleged benefits are non-existent or a joke to believe in.

Edited by tshile

well i think different teams implement it differently but the PSL is just a licensing fee - it's a one time amount, obviously if you spread the payments out over years you may pay interest or service charges or something. but it's a one time fee.

so it's 2k for the right to pay for the tickets. which is absurdly stupid. NFL teams are showing how dumb they think we are - that we should pay an additional 2k for the right to pay for the seats.

they're spinning it as an investment - one day you can sell your license to someone when you're ready to give up your tickets, and you can make money. but there's absolutely no evidence to back up the idea that PSL's will be worth more in the future (to be honest there's not any real hard evidence they wont be worth more either)

furthermore, in addition to paying for the PSL you have to continually pay for your seats to keep them. so you can't take a year off and retain your license. first year you don't pay for your tickets you lose your license.

it's a ticket increase. plain and simple. the alleged benefits are non-existent or a joke to believe in.

Who's really "dumb"? Must be over a dozen teams now that have required PSLs and fans have bought the PSLs to help finance the new stadiums. SOME of us may not be so dumb to fork over $2,000 to $150,000 just for the privilege of buying season tickets but most (all?) of the teams that require a PSL are sold out. Jets might be the exception. They were having great difficulty last year sell all their PSLs. Still plenty of "dumb" fans around willing to pay all that extra money for seats to a live football game.

The only way PSLs will disappear is when enough fans say "NO" and refuse to purchase a PSL. Giants and Jets had some difficulty with their stadium PSL sale last year. It will be interesting to see if the San Francisco fans are willing to pay that much to "support" their team.

Agree with tshile. Not sure how NFL teams were able to get away with this. I'll never own a season ticket that is a PSL.

I'm sure it has something to do with competative balance. (smh).... Thanks for clearing that up guys! To me, it would depend on how much it was and where I am with my career/family/finances. I know right now, I'm with Sonny and Sam, my tix for the year about tap me out anyways. Down the road that may not be an issue, but if we were getting a new stadium next year, I'd be very upset with PSL's and having to lose my seats.

Edited by DC9

Who's really "dumb"? Must be over a dozen teams now that have required PSLs and fans have bought the PSLs to help finance the new stadiums. SOME of us may not be so dumb to fork over $2,000 to $150,000 just for the privilege of buying season tickets but most (all?) of the teams that require a PSL are sold out. Jets might be the exception. They were having great difficulty last year sell all their PSLs. Still plenty of "dumb" fans around willing to pay all that extra money for seats to a live football game.

The only way PSLs will disappear is when enough fans say "NO" and refuse to purchase a PSL. Giants and Jets had some difficulty with their stadium PSL sale last year. It will be interesting to see if the San Francisco fans are willing to pay that much to "support" their team.

I agree with the last part.

And I was saying the NFL thinks we're dumb and thats why they're doing this - because they know they can. I'm not arguing that they're wrong, I'm just pointing out what the bottom line logic is. I agree with the NFL - the majority of the general population is pretty dumb.

I'll have to be making stupid money to be ok with paying this (and I may be by the time we get a new stadium, who knows?). The good news is we have 12 years before thats even a discussion (i think we have 14 or 15 years on the lease left?). So we'll have a decade to see how PSL's play out and be able to make an informed decision as fans if the new stadium requires them. In the meantime I cannot imagine that PSL will be worth more than what the person original paid for them (accounting for inflation of course)

Edited by tshile

I found this website that is a secondary market for selling PSLs. I didn't realize so many NFL teams have these.

I looked at this Eagle ad for comparable seats to the seats I used to have at FedEx and was shocked to see the asking price of $10,000 ($5k/seat). Wow. No way.

http://www.stadiumpsl.com/philadelphia-eagles-psl-s-sbl-s-for-sale/2-eagles-psls-sbls-lower-level-section-113-row-24-10-000.00-7.html

Edited by GoSkins0721

I agree with the last part.

And I was saying the NFL thinks we're dumb and thats why they're doing this - because they know they can. I'm not arguing that they're wrong, I'm just pointing out what the bottom line logic is. I agree with the NFL - the majority of the general population is pretty dumb.

I'll have to be making stupid money to be ok with paying this (and I may be by the time we get a new stadium, who knows?). The good news is we have 12 years before thats even a discussion (i think we have 14 or 15 years on the lease left?). So we'll have a decade to see how PSL's play out and be able to make an informed decision as fans if the new stadium requires them. In the meantime I cannot imagine that PSL will be worth more than what the person original paid for them (accounting for inflation of course)

Maybe this latest battle between VA, DC, and MD for Redskins Park and training camp is setting up a deal where whoever gets the new stadium will have the tax payers pay for it and we won't have to pay for PSL's.

I'm not sure "dumb" is the right word. LIke anything else sold in our economy, you charge what people are willing to pay. Unfortunately, there are enough people willing to pay the ridiculously high season ticket prices (like you and me) and others who are willing to pay for PSLs AND expensive season tickets.

Frankly, it has always bothered me how much professional athletes, rock stars, movie and TV stars make in general. The amounts paid to them are directly paid by their fans. We keep stepping up and volunteering our money to buy tickets, DVDs, movie tickets, etc. After all, the bottom line is that it is just entertainment. Nothing useful is being created or manufactured. Yet we (society) gripes about the salaries of teachers, police officers, CEOs, etc who make us better as a society and make us more useful.

The concept of PSLs is understandable in this day when people are fed up paying higher state and local taxes so that billionaire owners and millionaire players can have a nicer palace to play in. Fans are guilty, too. Fans are always clamoring for a newer better stadium without realizing the consequences of their desire will be to price them out of going to a live game. We have fans here who post all the time about how FedEx Field is a "dump" and the Redskins need to build a new stadium in DC. These posters simply refuse to accept that that kind of cost will mean more money out of their pockets IF they want to attend a game, whether they purchase season tickets or game tickets on the aftermarket. Or it means they get more commercials during the game at home; or higher jersey prices or other team products. Eventually the fan pays in the end. At some point, we collectively need to start saying "no".

Sorry...I'll get off my soapbox now.....

I found this website that is a secondary market for selling PSLs. I didn't realize so many NFL teams have these.

I looked at this Eagle ad for comparable seats to the seats I used to have at FedEx and was shocked to see the asking price of $10,000 ($5k/seat). Wow. No way.

http://www.stadiumpsl.com/philadelphia-eagles-psl-s-sbl-s-for-sale/2-eagles-psls-sbls-lower-level-section-113-row-24-10-000.00-7.html

Interesting find I will say...... I would think that you are probably right on point with how much PSL's would cost for FedEx....

Maybe this latest battle between VA, DC, and MD for Redskins Park and training camp is setting up a deal where whoever gets the new stadium will have the tax payers pay for it and we won't have to pay for PSL's.

That all depends on the political climate and the politicians in charge at the time the Redskins are looking for a new stadium. The VA governor will be long gone by that time. It's one thing to cough up $4 million for a training facility and another to cough up $1 billion plus for a new stadium. Perhaps if the economy takes off and we all share in the wealth created, then maybe the local/taxpayer opposition won't be as severe. Hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel with our current economy. And as a resident of PA, I have no problems if you taxpayers in VA want to foot the bill for my new stadium. :D

As far as seat lisence holders being dumb, I think they're just uninformed in most cases (and they have the cash to burn). A lot of people still think that tix will be hard to get. Sound familiar? Scarcity (or the threat of) can be a great marketing tactic.

IMO teams like the Niners, Cowboys, Giants, Jets all knew before hand that they were'nt going to sell all of their seat lisences at those rates. However, enough people would bite to justify the high asking price. The seats that go unassigned to STHs will quietly trickle down into the secondary market where they'll sell for actual value, not cost. Notice the Cowboys average about 10,000 tickets on Stubhub per game, while the Steelers average about 2,200. The Cowboys have many tickets at or below STH's cost, while the Steelers are above STHs cost in nearly every listing.

The Niners are advertising that they've already sold out all of their $80 SBLs, along with all of the mid field clubs between the 25 yardlines (30k SBLs). Looks to me like a ploy to create a false sense of demand for all of the other SBL seating which just opened for STH's sale this morning.

By mid 2014, I predict the Niners ticket market will be just like Dallas and NY's today. Secondary market buyers can regularly buy individual games for significantly less than what seat lisence holders pay per game, in all locations.

That all depends on the political climate and the politicians in charge at the time the Redskins are looking for a new stadium. The VA governor will be long gone by that time. It's one thing to cough up $4 million for a training facility and another to cough up $1 billion plus for a new stadium. Perhaps if the economy takes off and we all share in the wealth created, then maybe the local/taxpayer opposition won't be as severe. Hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel with our current economy. And as a resident of PA, I have no problems if you taxpayers in VA want to foot the bill for my new stadium. :D

That car tax needs to start paying for something useful. lol.

I just think by all of the politicing that has taken place, even going down to Tampa, and the fact that the deal in Richmond ends in 2021 (right around the time a new stadium would need to break ground) it sets up very well for the Redskins to be wined and dined and to have the District, Maryland, and Virginia all fighting for the right to build the stadium. DC has to feel vexed (after the Mayoral trip to Tampa) and PG county thought it was in the bag when the survey team went out there (complaining of the flood plain in Ashburn) and the fact that they already have the stadium.

In any case, I don't want to pay PSL's and if, as you say, the political climate and the economy support it 8-10 years from now, I'm fine paying throwing my contribution into the pot via taxes. Lord knows that HOV lane will never make it down to Fredericksburg like they said would back when I was in High School in the 90's! Lol.

Just my take.

BTW, still no upgrade from UL moving closer to the 50.

Edited by DC9