Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Season Ticket Renewals

bryantlc

So last night I got an email from the Redskins offering me to purchase additional seats that are near me. When we get such offers, they open the seat map on our account to purchase additional seats. There are two seats in front of me in row 2 on the aisle. My seats are in Section 237. I'm not buying the two in front of me. The two I have already cost me an arm and a leg. I have until May 19 to purchase additional seats.

So now I am going to burst the bubble on those of you who believe there is a mass number of people not renewing their seats. Yes, there is turnover every year. I've seen it each year. Every NFL team and every professional sports team has season ticket holders who do not renew. And yes, its worse after bad years than good years. Every team has bandwagon fans who are happy to spend their money when the team is doing well and winning games. But there are plenty of fools like me (I prefer being called a die hard fan) who continue to support their team in bad year after bad year.

So anyway....there are a few available seats in the 200 level along the home team side in the corner near the tunnels. A pair here or there but mostly single seats. Maybe about 10 seats in total. As you move into the end zones, there are more available seats. Some sections none or just a couple; other sections 10-15. Interestingly, there are a lot of 4-6 seats together that are empty. Again this is not unusual from previous years. This is how I and others moved down from the upper deck to the lower deck 13 years ago when they started to allow upgrades to the lower level and each year since. In fact, the  number available in the lower level is less than prior years in my opinion. The visitor side seats are almost completely filled. Once again there are a small handful of seats available in the corner opposite the tunnels. Interesting, there are almost no available seats in the corner near the visiting team tunnel.

On the 100 level, the seats are completely sold out along the sidelines. In the corners, there are a few isolated singles available. Again the end zone seats have more openings. About 20-25, again the number of 4 seat and 6 seat groupings seem highly over-represented. This may seem like a lot of seats until you realize that each section has about 5,850 seats. That equates to about a 0.4% or .004 available seats. Hardly a mass forfeiture of seats by fans as some of you insist. And these are just a few sections in the end zone. Sidelines are virtually sold out except for a few singles and an isolated pair of seats here and there.

My guess is the high number of large seats together may have been owned by ticket brokers who are unable to make big money any more on Redskins seats. Lower level seats can typically be bought for about face value a week or two before games; with the exception of visiting teams like the cowgirls or the pigeons.

Unfortunately, I have no information on available seats in the upper deck. Either they are all sold out (highly unlikely) or I am not permitted to buy additional seats in the upper deck because I have lower level seats. Maybe someone in the upperdeck who has an offer to add seats can report on how many upper deck seats are available. Would love to know how many seats are taken and available up there if someone wants to take a swing around all the sections in the stadium.

Same story with the club seats. Can't see the their availability.

As several have pointed out, the club is several weeks late starting the upgrade program. Any business is going to try to sell as many seats as they can. Skins are doing what they can to sell the most prized seats available in FedEx. I have no issues with that. But the conjecture that it is caused by huge numbers of fans not renewing is not supported by the facts. At least in the lower level.....

Also, the seat upgrade feature has been added to my account. It is not live, but it is there. So the seat upgrade process will likely start very soon.

Hail!

Edited by SonnyandSam

But the conjecture that it is caused by huge numbers of fans not renewing is not supported by the facts. At least in the lower level.....

I take no issue with your analysis, but it relies on one critical assumption: that you can see all the seats in those sections where people have not yet renewed.  

Redskin-All-In says above that his four seats in Section 106 are being held for him until May 23.   I would love for you and he to trade PMs, so he can give you his specific seat numbers, and so you can check to see if his seats are showing as available for purchase.  If they are, then I 100% accept your read of the situation.  

If they aren't, though, it conclusively proves that the team is holding back inventory from people who haven't renewed, in the hopes that they can get them to renew before they start the upgrade process.  That was my original premise: that non-renewals have led the team to delay the upgrade process, to try and get those fans back.  They didn't delay upgrades last year or the year before, which suggests that -- if it's happening for this reason -- something *IS* different about the rate of renewals this off season.

Sonny and Sam said:

"But the conjecture that it is caused by huge numbers of fans not renewing is not supported by the facts. At least in the lower level....."

I completely and 100% agree that the facts as we all understand them do not allow us to conclude that the hypothesis in question is, in fact, correct.

However, I maintain that the facts also do not permit us to conclude that the hypothesis in question is, conclusively and in fact, incorrect--as was asserted above. I brought up my renewal letter only as evidence contrary to that assertion, and not as an attempt to prove the hypothesis.

Genuinely appreciate your thoughtful and informative post Sonny (not sarcastic--it's very useful info).

So last night I got an email from the Redskins offering me to purchase additional seats that are near me. When we get such offers, they open the seat map on our account to purchase additional seats. There are two seats in front of me in row 2 on the aisle. My seats are in Section 237. I'm not buying the two in front of me. The two I have already cost me an arm and a leg. I have until May 19 to purchase additional seats.

il!

I sit in 236, and got the same e-mail. I tried to look at them, just now, (5/17 7:05am), and the site wouldn't let me select my seats to look at what's available.

So last night I got an email from the Redskins offering me to purchase additional seats that are near me. When we get such offers, they open the seat map on our account to purchase additional seats. There are two seats in front of me in row 2 on the aisle. My seats are in Section 237.

Hey neighbor, we're in 237 too.

Just checked my email but no such letter.  Guess I'll have to call the ticket office.

Edited by Ashburn Dave

So last night I got an email from the Redskins offering me to purchase additional seats that are near me....

Great post S&S. Posts like this are what keep me coming back to ES to gain insight from STH's that are as passionate as I am.

I have two seats in 236 Row 4 and would love to do a straight upgrade to the two in front of you, S&S but unfortunately it is never that simple with this ticket office. I am torn between wanting to move closer down to the action and wanting to keep my current sight-lines (which I think are the best in the entire stadium) and the fact that the fans in front of me remain seated for the majority of the game unlike the 100 level sideline sections. I also want to remain in my current price tier which I believe is the lowest for non-obstructed view seats in the lower level.

Edited by E33Green
  • Like 1

I just got my upgrade email.  Been a season ticket holder since 2010.  Mine is June 1st at 4pm.  And closes June 2nd.

Just like the previous year the amount of time they give us sucks.  At least 2 years ago we had a whole week, so we could keep logging in to see if better seats became available.

I'm scheduled for may 22nd, 12 PM. I'm not really anticipating there being a whole lot for me to upgrade.

To those of you in 237, I'm in 236, row 1, the 3 seats closest to your section :)

I wanted to move to the other end of the home side, but I have real doubts I'll find anything there I like without having to pay more... which I don't want to do.

This year is a little different, instead of going to every game i'm trying to go to 4 or 5. I've sold every ticket except for the miami and st louis games. not bad for still May... :)

This will be my 4th year with season tickets. Hoping to move to the lower bowl this year. Have not got my upgrade email yet. Is this normal? My current seats are section 433 row 4 seats 8,9.

Also I make monthly payments, do you think you get a quicker upgrade window if your paid in full?

How long has everybody had their tickets?

Got my upgrade email a couple hours ago. My date is May 29 at 10am. This is my 13th (14th?) year as a STH. Thought it would be a little earlier.

tshile....you must be an old timer. :D

Those without an email. Be patient. Most likely got sent out in order of seniority, lower level to upper level. But if you don't get one in a day or so,make sure the TO has a current email address. Call, don't email them. Mass email sendings can take a while to get through the internet and your ISP.

Great post S&S. Posts like this are what keep me coming back to ES to gain insight from STH's that are as passionate as I am.

I have two seats in 236 Row 4 and would love to do a straight upgrade to the two in front of you, S&S but unfortunately it is never that simple with this ticket office. I am torn between wanting to move closer down to the action and wanting to keep my current sight-lines (which I think are the best in the entire stadium) and the fact that the fans in front of me remain seated for the majority of the game unlike the 100 level sideline sections. I also want to remain in my current price tier which I believe is the lowest for non-obstructed view seats in the lower level.

Your welcome. I learned a lot from others when I first became a STH. Just trying to share the knowledge since the Redskins TO likes to hide behind the dark curtain. :rolleyes:

By the way you can upgrade to section 238 and pay the same price you are paying now. The sideline seat price begins in section 239/139 on our side.

I used to sit in the 100 section...yes you are closer...but having to stand almost all game long on my old hips and knees was more than I could bear. The 200 level have the best site lines while balancing closeness to the action in the entire stadium. Being protected from the rain and snow is a big plus, too!

Edited by SonnyandSam

Well, I asked the question last week, so I'll chime in.  Got my e-mail.  Upgrade window starts Friday, 5/29 at 2 pm.  I've been a STH since 2005 (10 years, good grief).  Seems fairly consistent with seniority/upgrade windows of others here, which is good to see.

Oh, and BTW, this goes to my gmail account and ended up in the "promotions" tab, not the main inbox, so if you're using gmail be sure to check there for your e-mail.

Edited by asacks

tshile....you must be an old timer. :D

my late grandfather was :)

i used to think so too, but at the meeting with bruce/larry there were quite a few older gentlemen that have older accounts :) it was actually ridiculous to hear someone say "I started going in the 1958..." they do still exist lol

June 2nd at 2 pm.

You all may think it is silly but I actually stay at the top of the stadium. I have made my way pretty close to the 50 yard line but dont really want to spend more than I do. So moving down rows doesnt get me too much better view and being in the last row means I can stand or not as I see fit and I have convinced my little kid that the higher the seat the better. :)

June 2nd at 2 pm.

You all may think it is silly but I actually stay at the top of the stadium. I have made my way pretty close to the 50 yard line but dont really want to spend more than I do. So moving down rows doesnt get me too much better view and being in the last row means I can stand or not as I see fit and I have convinced my little kid that the higher the seat the better. :)

Not crazy. I sat up there for years. Loved it up there. It gives you a different appreciation for the game.

Edited by tshile

June 2nd at 2 pm.

I will only stick with the upper level, no desire to pay more money to sit in the lower level in the corners when I'm sitting on the 45 yard line in the upper level.

I have had season tickets since 1999.  My window open 5/28 at noon.

Here is the body of the letter that was sent out.

seat_upgrade.jpg

The Redskins are pleased to announce the 2015 Online Seat Upgrade Program. Below, you will find the date and time your account is eligible to upgrade.

To upgrade your seats, please visit your online My Redskins Account to view available seats once your date and time have arrived. If you need assistance with your My Redskins Account please contact the ticket office at 301.276.6050 to speak with a representative. We recommend that you contact us at your earliest convenience to ensure you can login to your online account.

YOUR UPGRADE WINDOW BEGINS:

Thursday, May 28, 2015 at 12:00pm
Account #: xxxxxx

tickets_upgrade_click.jpg

Upgrades must be completed by June 2 at 11:59 pm

You are under no obligation to relocate your seats. You will remain in your current seats unless you choose to upgrade.

You have been assigned a priority group based on your account seniority. You may only view seats once your upgrade window begins and until the end of the Seat Upgrade Program on June 2nd at 11:59 PM. You will be able to manage the seat upgrade process by logging into your My Redskins Account at www.Redskins.com/MyAccount.

Please note:

• You will not see upgrade options online until your account is eligible
  • Only account holders who are paid in full or compliant on their Redskins payment plan are eligible to upgrade.
  • The upgrade program will end on June 2nd at 11:59 PM
  • The online upgrade program does not apply to Club seats, Upper Level standing tickets or seats in Sections 213-230, Rows 14-23
  • If you want to purchase additional seats in your new seat location or add parking to your account, please contact the Redskins Ticket Office at 301.276.6050.
More information, including a list of Frequently Asked Questions, may be found here.
For questions, please contact the Redskins Ticket Office by emailing tickets@redskins.com or by calling 301.276.6050.