Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS SIGN OSHIOMOGHO ATOGWE

Mark The Homer

Wow, amazing player for an amazing price!

Maybe we ARE a different team?

Because we signed a veteran player that played well for another team to multi-year contract??? Thats what we do. Until we start focusing on building through the draft, this is just a continuation of the same policy we've seen since Danny stepped in here. Im not saying its a bad signing, but it sure doesnt indicate any major change in philosophy.

I thought we couldn't sign players till a new deal was reached between the players and the owners.

"Teams cannot re-sign players or sign players released by other clubs, but are permitted to negotiate with them. The talks remain under the supervision of federal mediator George H. Cohen."

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2011/03/nfl-negotiators-close-to-another-extension-of-talks.html

Because we signed a veteran player that played well for another team to multi-year contract??? Thats what we do. Until we start focusing on building through the draft, this is just a continuation of the same policy we've seen since Danny stepped in here. Im not saying its a bad signing, but it sure doesnt indicate any major change in philosophy.

The contract numbers certainly do indicate a change. Really good talent for market value, we never do that. We either pay top dollar for mediocre talent, or spend astronomical values on the top free agents. Also, Atogwe chose us without us over[paying because, as far as can be assumed, he bought into what the coaches here are trying to do. That also never happened under the old regime.

I thought we couldn't sign players till a new deal was reached between the players and the owners.

It was probably done before midnight yesterday.

The contract numbers certainly do indicate a change. Really good talent for market value, we never do that. We either pay top dollar for mediocre talent, or spend astronomical values on the top free agents. Also, Atogwe chose us without us over[paying because, as far as can be assumed, he bought into what the coaches here are trying to do. That also never happened under the old regime.

We do it more often than you think. The big deals often overshadow the many more reasonable deals that fill out the rest of the team. Not to mention that the "big deals" often weren't as big of a deal as it appeared, with most of the money in those contracts on the back end and not likely to be earned.

I like the signing. He is a ballhawk and everyone can complain about the price but Vinny would have given him 50mil guaranteed. This is a solid signing with helps out our coverage immensely. Now hopefully Landry can play against the run where we got SLAUGHTERED last year. Stats aside on running against us, teams ran against us in plenty of games to seal the deal. The Vikings game comes to mind. Brett Favre stunk up the field and AP was out but for some reason we let a white guy run all over us.

I usually ***** and moan whenever they sign some FA or trade and pay way too much for guys like AA/Lloyd or Haynesworth but this looks like a good deal. Not really sure how good he is but he must be decent. Just wondering why the guy with the most turnovers the past few years isn't going to the Pro Bowl every year. Does he get toasted regularly or something?

Well, we'll have to see how this works out. On paper it looks good...pricey, but good...but so have so many other Fa signings, good on paper...terrible on the field. Could he be our new personal punt protector? He plays super smart!

It wasn't pricey at all?

look at this draft profile for Oshi from 2005 coming out of stanford, drafted with the second pick in the third. I think he will be a great influence on our team and improve to his prior production.

BIO: Three-year starter who has led Stanford in tackles every season since his sophomore campaign. Senior totals included 76/4/7 after 90/2/8 as a junior.

POSITIVES: Intelligent, instinctive safety who does a solid job patrolling centerfield. Reads the action, helps out cornerbacks and takes good angles to the play. Remains focused throughout and a leader in the defensive secondary. Picks up cover assignments, displays a nice move on the ball and solid in run defense. Quick coming up the field, lays a shoulder into ballcarriers and wraps up at the point. Effective facing the quarterback and stays with the action.

NEGATIVES: Marginal skills in man coverage, stiff backpedaling in reverse, and best moving up the field. Not a sudden defender who flashes on the scene.

ANALYSIS: An efficient free safety known for outstanding work ethic. An active defender with a good feel for the position. Deficient skills in coverage will limit him to a two-deep system, yet should immediately contribute as a rookie and have a solid NFL career.

PROJECTION: Late Second Round

Atogwe- 5yr/25.2M base value. 9M guar (6.5M 5th day of '11 league year bonus, 900k '11 salary, 1.5M inj guar in '12) - exactly how good is this contract? and is it just 900k against us in cap in 2011?

If this is true. This is a steal. $900k against the cap? Wow!

We made a prudent free agent signing at a position of need?

Without overpaying, without going for the "best" FA at that position, going instead for a better fit?

I...I don't even know what to think right now...lol.

Baby steps. :)

We made a prudent free agent signing at a position of need?

Without overpaying, without going for the "best" FA at that position, going instead for a better fit?

I...I don't even know what to think right now...lol.

Baby steps. :)

i think he kinda was the best FA at that position.. at least that we could sign lol. but i still think its a GREAT signing.. douches like walterfootball are to idiotic to research the facts..

i think he kinda was the best FA at that position.. at least that we could sign lol. but i still think its a GREAT signing.. douches like walterfootball are to idiotic to research the facts..

I agree with this. However, over at cowboyszone.com, some are saying that OJ has been on the decline the last two years, which is why they didn't show any interest. They're now hyping Huff as the best available FS this offseason.

Atogwe- 5yr/25.2M base value. 9M guar (6.5M 5th day of '11 league year bonus, 900k '11 salary, 1.5M inj guar in '12) - exactly how good is this contract? and is it just 900k against us in cap in 2011?

Some of that $6.5m roster bonus will also go thro' the 2011 cap. I'd say a fifth based on the 5 year deal. But it is a great deal from our FO.

I agree with this. However, over at cowboyszone.com, some are saying that OJ has been on the decline the last two years, which is why they didn't show any interest. They're now hyping Huff as the best available FS this offseason.

i mean it really just depends on what your scheme and needs are.. i like huff think hes just as good as OJ.. but a verteran ball hawk is something we needed.

Archived