Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Generic Movie Thread (Includes Misc. New Movies Coming in the Future) MET

fullnelson9999

So I was just looking around the Tailgate and realized that, unless I completely missed it, I don't recall seeing a thread dedicated to movies, movie projects, upcoming films etc. I consider myself to be a bit of a movie buff, so I'll try and update the thread as it goes. Other people are welcome to put up any news as well.

---------- Post added February-28th-2011 at 10:31 PM ----------

Some upcoming goodies:

The Hangover, Part 2.

Bad Teacher. This is a red band trailer, and is NSFW. However, it looks extremely funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAvYpgiiOA

Apollo 18. This is a "found-footage" kind of movie, like Cloverfield.

Cars 2. It looks like Pixar is finally about to make a bad movie.

I think 2012 will be a good year and yes alot of them are sequels but some them should be quality sequels.

I think I heard that of all the movies scheduled to be release this year, over 90% are supposed to be sequels or reboots. There may be some good movies, but the recession has pushed Hollywood into a cheap, money making machine, and sequels are pretty cheap to make.

I only rank my top two movies because unlike other movies I like, I don't see any way possible that any future movie will ever surpass the love I have for these two. Movies will change places over the years, but The Sandlot and The Shawshank Redemption will forever remain the top two.

As far as future movies, the only one I am looking forward to is The Hungry Rabbit Jumps. Why? Because it's the next chance to see Nick Cage. :ols:

I think I heard that of all the movies scheduled to be release this year, over 90% are supposed to be sequels or reboots. There may be some good movies, but the recession has pushed Hollywood into a cheap, money making machine, and sequels are pretty cheap to make.

I'd blame Unoriginality from studios not the recession for the decline in movies. Fact is most Americans want to see the same movies they've seen before just in an updated form. Why? New things are usually scary.

Cars 2. It looks like Pixar is finally about to make a bad movie.

While I think Cars is the worst of the Pixar franchises (which still means it's pretty good overall), I would never bet against Pixar making a good movie.

I'd blame Unoriginality from studios not the recession for the decline in movies. Fact is most Americans want to see the same movies they've seen before just in an updated form. Why? New things are usually scary.

Well, Inception took over the summer box office and ended up as one of the highest grossing films of all time. The market is absolutely there for "new things."

The studios today are being largely unoriginal, but a lot of it does stem directly from the recession. Take a look at that recent thread about going to the movies, and all the people who posted in it saying how they just prefer to wait until movies come out on Netflix, DVD, or they can find a good stream to just watch it online for free. And then consider how many people usually complain about how bad movies today are. It's a two way street. Movies like Inception are terrifying for Hollywood (I remember reading last winter and spring about how many people were saying that Inception would end up being "too smart" or "too complex" for a summer movie at its price tag), because it's a lot easier to just bank on a sequel or some other already established brand like a comic or kid's TV show.

There's not a lot of money going around right now, and whatever amount there is, goes towards the less risky projects.

Really hoping Battle: Los Angeles doesn't disappoint. We need a good alien invasion movie...

Aliens seems to be the theme this year.

A couple that have great potential:

Super 8

j1CzuaFQ87M

(actually, not sure if that has anything to do with aliens or not. But who cares. Abrams and Speilberg? Yeah)

Cowboys and Aliens

jPPwTlonNLk&hd=1

Really excited for the Thor/Captain America/X-Men/Spiderman movies, as well as the next Batman movie, the eventual Avengers movie, a possible Deadpool movie, and the Wolverine sequel (which should be better).

Yes, apparently I'm 13 :ols:

Can this thread also be about movies we've watched recently that aren't necessarily new releases?

I've become even more interested in film since I joined the film society here at Auburn. Especially when you take weekends into account, I probably watch an average of one movie per day. Maybe I have no life.

I've seen three Akira Kurosawa films in as many days. I'd never seen a Kurosawa picture until Sunday night, when I watched Yojimbo, which I really liked. My roommate and I just finished watchin Rashomon, which I LOVED. Anyone a fan of Kurosawa? I really want to see Seven Samurai, but it's so hard to find enough free time to watch a 3+ hour movie. I plan on watching it over Spring Break.

Can this thread also be about movies we've watched recently that aren't necessarily new releases?

I've become even more interested in film since I joined the film society here at Auburn. Especially when you take weekends into account, I probably watch an average of one movie per day. Maybe I have no life.

I've seen three Akira Kurosawa films in as many days. I'd never seen a Kurosawa picture until Sunday night, when I watched Yojimbo, which I really liked. My roommate and I just finished watchin Rashomon, which I LOVED. Anyone a fan of Kurosawa? I really want to see Seven Samurai, but it's so hard to find enough free time to watch a 3+ hour movie. I plan on watching it over Spring Break.

Seven Samurai is a movie masterpiece. Watch it asap!!! One of my favorite movies that I don't think alot of people like is Sin City. If you've ever read the comics, it's almost a spot-on adaptation. Probably one of the best comic movies made imo. I think a second one is in the works. I tend to like grimy movies like this and machete and asian ganster flicks. John Woo's Hard-Boiled and The Killer are great movies

Battle:LA was pretty damn good across the board for a big action flick. As I expected from the trailers it had the hybrid feel of Independence Day meets District 9. One thing that stood out with unexpected quality were the squad-level combat scenes. Some of the more realistic combat scenes I've seen. I felt it was as much an entertaining war (and U.S Marines) movie as a sci-fi or action film. There are some pretty cliche and even corny moments, but I easily recommend this as a fun flick worth seeing. :)

Really excited for the Thor/Captain America/X-Men/Spiderman movies, as well as the next Batman movie, the eventual Avengers movie, a possible Deadpool movie, and the Wolverine sequel (which should be better).

Yes, apparently I'm 13 :ols:

Twice as old as you and right there with ya. :)

Battle:LA was pretty damn good across the board for a big action flick. As I expected from the trailers it had the hybrid feel of Independence Day meets District 9. One thing that stood out with unexpected quality were the squad-level combat scenes. Some of the more realistic combat scenes I've seen. I felt it was as much an entertaining war (and U.S Marines) movie as a sci-fi or action film. There are some pretty cliche and even corny moments, but I easily recommend this as a fun flick worth seeing. :)

I liked it but I thought the Aliens were a little weak. Also, focusing an alien invasion flick on just one city didn't hold the same appeal as the whole planet. Independence Day was better. For a war flick though, it was alright.

Has anyone seen Rango yet? I saw it with some friends a couple of friends last weekend. Loved it. It's a hilarious, entertaining love letter to spaghetti western films.

A few days ago I watched Stanley Kubrick's The Killing. It's a heist- oriented film-noir. Pretty darn good.

I just watched one of my favorite films, No Country For Old Men. It's brilliant. This viewing cemented it into my top 5.

Battle LA... I loved it. It was fun and LOUD (the theater I went to had the volume turned WAY up)... the 5 other people I went with disliked it, though.. one of them actually hated it!

I thought it kicked ass. Well made action fest.. I hope they set up the sequel for Battle: D.C.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight some friends and I drove about an hour to Montgomery, AL to The Capri Theater to watch The Illusionist, 2010 Oscar Nominee for Best Animated Film. It was really great. Beautiful animation, a lot of laughs, a lot of heart and a great bittersweet ending. I definitely recommend it, and would not have been upset about it beating Toy Story 3 out for the award.

Archived