Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Generic Movie Thread (Includes Misc. New Movies Coming in the Future) MET

fullnelson9999

Sooo the Fright Night remake wasn't as good as the original to me (lacked the level of wit, style, and humor) but it does have of course the superior production values given budget and being 20 years newer, and it was a good vampire movie as far at that goes. It did have humorous moments. Toni Collette is kind of wasted in the role of Brewster's mom vs. the original. And this Peter Vincent, while cool enough as a character, isn't as interesting as Roddy McDowell's original. But good popcorn flick. BTW, trivia buffs, the name "Peter Vincent" was a dual homage to Peter Cushing and Vincent Price who made many vamp movies in their day.

On other fronts, I mentioned some time back that one of director Sam Peckinpah's best movies, Straw Dogs, which had a great Dustin Hoffman role, was also being remade and the new previews show the Skarsgard(?) (Eric?) dude from True Blood as one lead. It looks to be like a lesser product than the original, too, just from the previews (and is "from the producers of Dawn of the Dead"), but still looks like ok standard movie fare. If you've never seen the original, put it on your list.

And, continuing on the theme that Hollywood has a hard time being original these days, some of us are old enough to remember the 60's toy/game of Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots (wish I still had mine---must be a collector's item now) and the movie using the idea is Real Steel with Hugh Jackman looks like mindless fun---Rocky meets Robots, basically.

And, continuing on the theme that Hollywood has a hard time being original these days, some of us are old enough to remember the 60's toy/game of Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots (wish I still had mine---must be a collector's item now) and the movie using the idea is Real Steel with Hugh Jackman looks like mindless fun---Rocky meets Robots, basically.

Keep you eyes pealed for Prometheus. Remember that name. Going to be fantastic!

---------- Post added August-22nd-2011 at 06:18 PM ----------

Also Midnight in Paris is actually a excellent film. One of the best of the year as well as Attack the Block.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Watched the Lincoln Lawyer last night. Stars Matthew McConaughey. It was decent. Much better than I expected. Thought he did a nice job in it. Anyone else seen it?

Btw, he's supposedly a huge Redskins fan. And he's from Texas. Not sure how many know that.

I actually really liked that movie. I think it's made from a book, so i need to research that.

I don't care how old you are or if you have kids, you have to see the new Muppet film.

Was never that big on The Muppets. So I doubt I'll watch it.

---------- Post added November-27th-2011 at 11:56 PM ----------

I actually really liked that movie. I think it's made from a book, so i need to research that.
Yup, it is made from a book. Just saw it got an 83% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. So I guess we are in the majority.:)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was on the IMDb site, checking something out, and saw they're making a movie of one of my fave sci-fi/horror characters--Odd Thomas, from the Dean Koontz novels. Anton Yelchin (Checkov in Star Trek (latest); Terminator Salvation; Fright Night; more) plays the lead. OT is a fantastic character and the stories and supporting cast have been consistently excellent . This could be very cool.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1767354/

Archived