Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Diet Soda: Good or bad for fat people?

EersSkins05

With the 10th pick in 2011 NFL draft, Redskins select?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. With the 10th pick in 2011 NFL draft, Redskins select?

• Marcell Dareus DT Alabama
    • Von Miller OLB Texas A&M
    • Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri
    • Julio Jones WR Alabama
    • Robert Quinn OLB UNC
    • Aldon Smith OLB Missouri
    • Cameron Jordan DE Cal
    • Tyron Smith RT USC
    • Nick Fairley DT Auburn
    • JJ Watt De/DT Wisconsin

If you care enough to want to make a difference you have to master the art of selling your perspective. That means adapting a calm, neutral tone and explaining your point of view to those who do not share it or do not comprehend it. Urging change in small doses almost always works better than immediately pushing people toward a militant diet.

I don't really care about selling my "perspective".

You don't like facts, so be it.

Just stating the truth.

American's like a "perspective" that is easy.

It's not hard to eat healthy.

I don't really care about selling my "perspective".

You don't like facts, so be it.

Just stating the truth.

American's like a "perspective" that is easy.

It's not hard to eat healthy.

It sounds like you're making a lot of assumptions about what I think. The only points I've made in this thread are:

- Don't drink diet soda.

- Calories correlate to weight better than fat.

- Cheerios are not good for you.

- Raisin Bran is probably worse than Cheerios.

- chipwich is a bad sell.

Aside from that last one, do you object to anything I've said? Have I demonstrated an aversion to fact? Is it possible ascertain anything about my personal habits?

It sounds like you're making a lot of assumptions about what I think. The only points I've made in this thread are:

- Don't drink diet soda.

- Calories correlate to weight better than fat.

- Cheerios are not good for you.

- Raisin Bran is probably worse than Cheerios.

- chipwich is a bad sell.

Aside from that last one, do you object to anything I've said? Have I demonstrated an aversion to fact? Is it possible ascertain anything about my personal habits?

No objections.

And you helped me with my media system previously, so I love you :)

Just saying, I don't care about people arguing the truth with me. I won't settle for diet soda's or other health concerns that aren't healthy :)

Uhhh, it's an epidemic in America. Not a joking matter. But glad you trivialize it.

Do you really think the fact that our country is one of the top 10 fattest in the world is a joke????

Yes, I think one of the most pressing public health concerns of our time is a joke. Which is why I've dedicated the last several years of my life to studying public health, and now work in public health. In case you didn't catch my sarcasm: I DON'T think public health problems in America are a joke.

I think the way some people go around acting holier than thou and preaching to someone asking a simple question is however. Actually, I take that back, I don't think it's a joke. It's seriously counterproductive and it absolutely undermines your message. For instance, you might have something substantial to say (in fact I suspect you know a lot about nutrition), but when you approach "educating" others in a dictatorial, paternalistic, and condescending manner, the substance of your messge is lost because it immediately causes your intended target audience to close themselves off to anything you have to say.

It's great you are passionate about nutrition. I actually happen to be too...which is why exercise science was my major in undergrad and I chose public health for graduate education. I'm just saying through the years, I've learned about successful communication strategies, and not one of those strategies starts with making a subject feel like a jackass for being dumb. Neither does spouting out answers like people should know them and acting condescendingly toward people pointing out this is something you seem to be doing very well at in this thread. :)

keeastman, can I just hire you to post for me? I'm awfully lazy and there aren't too many people out there who tend to string together such beautiful prose while assaulting someone's post and/or posting style.

And you helped me with my media system previously, so I love you :)

Good to know that my base level knowledge of all sorts of random things still has some cachet :ols:

Just saying, I don't care about people arguing the truth with me. I won't settle for diet soda's or other health concerns that aren't healthy :)

Fair enough. Even you have to have some sort of dietary vice, though.

I guess I'm the only one that makes a typo on ES.:rolleyes:

It's not a typo when you repeat the mistake and the keys aren't near each other :pfft:

lighten up, cupcake.

In case anyone was still wondering, cupcakes are bad for you.

Soda, regular or diet, is bad for any person, skinny or fat. Drinking water is much healthier and also saves a great deal of money compared to drinking gallons of soda or tea every week.

I drink more water than I do other drinks, especially when I'm thristy because it one of the few things that quench my thrist. That & a good apple juice. I usually only drink regular sodas, or iced tea with meals. But, I'm not convinced that water is that health anymore. You either have to drink the stuff coming out of your tap which is laced with chemicals like mercury or buy the stuff in the thin plastic bottles that are made out of the same stuff that are still killing fish in the Gulf of Mexico & puts out toxic fumes if you burn it. Actually I'm wrong coffee & water are tied with coffee having a slight lead of the course of a year.

All I can say about soda is this:

All my life growing up I had enjoyed soda. Most of the time in moderation, some of the time I drank a glass of coke almost daily. I didn't think this was so frequent compared to my cousin and his family who would consume at least 2 or 3 cans of diet soda daily.

About 3 years ago I had an issue with corrosion on my car's battery terminals. To be honest, even though I have replaced the brakes on my car and did my oil changes regularly, I had never had to deal with corrosion on a battery before. I did know that in order to clean off the corrosion most effectively, one would disconnect the positive and negative wires, and clean the tips of them using soda. As I watched the soda dissolve the thick corrosion on the battery wires like I had just dumped a bucket of hydrochloric acid on someone's face, I began to think deeply.

This is what I've been willingly putting in my stomach for all these years? If thats what soda does to a piece of metal, what does it really do inside my tender, fleshy body???

On that day I decided I would try to kick my soda habits. For the next few months I struggled successfully going out to restaurants and training myself to blurt out "WATER" instead of the "COKE" I had been mindlessly programmed to say. In the end I kicked my soda habit and other than the Jack & Coke mixtures I enjoy on rare occasions when I drink, I stopped drinking soda entirely.

A strange thing happened. In spite of the fact that I knew I didn't drink soda all that much, I lost 20 pounds over the next 2 months without dieting or exercising more than I had been already. I kept up all my eating habits and exercise habits, the only thing which had changed was I stopped drinking soda entirely.

Then another strange thing happened- I decided to try drinking a coke when it was the only thing available at a party I attended. I drank it as I always had, only this time I felt like I was trying to force bubbly fire down my throat and into my stomach. The soda, which I had grown unaccustomed to burned the **** out of my mouth, throat, and stomach simply from one quick swig, no different from ones I had taken casually and frequently in the past.

My message from this is simple: I didn't used to enjoy drinking water by itself when I was addicted to coke. It turns out water is extremely good for you and necessary for your body to function well. I didn't used to think I was addicted to coke, or that it was adversely affecting my body. Turns out that it was holding at least 20 pounds on me just from drinking 1 or less per day, and who knows what it was doing to my insides.

It was honestly extremely easy to stop drinking coke. I didn't replace it with something almost as bad and just as sugary. I replaced it with something healthy and natural. Something which tastes great, is cool and refreshing, and something which goes well with any meal- water. The hardest thing wasn't even giving up soda, it was remembering to not order it at restaurants, not to buy it at the store. It was harder to remember "Oh yeah, I decided I'm not drinking this anymore...better order the water instead" than it was to say "I'm going to stop drinking this stuff altogether." Drinking soda isn't really some sort of physical dependence or the love or need for a certain flavor. Sure in some cases it might be, but for the most part people drink soda because they're trained to order it and buy it as if it were water.

Is diet soda good for fat people? No, nothing but water to drink is necessarily "good" for fat people. Its not good for skinny people either, or anyone for that matter. The best thing to do would be to cut out soda entirely. If that cannot be achieved then sure maybe Diet is better from a caloric standpoint, but sugarwater is sugarwater no matter how many calories it has. It will never be better for you than water.

I think the obesity issue in America stems from so many things, from diet, to being an immobile society, to poverty, etc etc etc that to single out one aspect and label it as "THE" problem, is kind of short-sighted.

That said, soda is horrible for our bodies, it isn't really debatable. I look at the way my father's generation treated Coca Cola growing up.....as a "treat" you would drink once in awhile, and then my generation, where you go buy a 30-pack cube of it so you can be assured to have at least 2 soda's per day. It is a drastic change. If soda was still consumed in moderation, looked at as a treat at the end of the week of hard work or school...I don't think it would ever come up as an issue.

You can look at other countries, such as france with their rich sweet creamy foods, or Italy which is pasta heavy with all sorts of fatty meats, yet their populations are not having this epidemic. At the same time their populations are also not spending 3-4 hours a day in the gym to make up for their foods.

Like I said, the issue is a whole lot bigger than just one aspect.

I'm not preachy, but I am a vegetarian. It can be wildly unhealthy as some will try and live off grilled cheese and cheese fries.

Personally I do it for animal rights and don't want anything to suffer and feel pain, just for me. The meat industry is brutal.

I pay a lot of attention to my diet now and it is a very healthy diet. Me mentioning that I've gone back to being an almost vegan, is not me being "preachy" either. I'm just saying.

I look at not eating meat as being responsible, just like not drinking bottled water or, for the subject of the thread, not drinking diet soda.

I love that a thread about "is diet soda bad for fat people" has turned into such a fight. Eating and drinking right is extremely easy. It takes such a small effort. Soda is bad for you, we all know that. It's undebatable. Diet soda is even worse. We know this.

I look at the way my father's generation treated Coca Cola growing up.....as a "treat" you would drink once in awhile, and then my generation, where you go buy a 30-pack cube of it so you can be assured to have at least 2 soda's per day.

aspect.

Agree 100%. When I was a kid, soda were reserved only for when we had pizza or went out to dinner. Sometime around high school that changed.

The U.S. is in the top 10 of overweight nations in the world.

If you think cheerio's and waffles along with his sodas, plus a sprig of broccoli is a good diet, well that's your thing.

Meanwhile the thread is whether diet soda's are good for fat people.

No, they are not. Neither are regular soda's or waffles.

If you don't want to discuss a healthy diet in a thread about diet, then don't enter :ols: My passion is nutrition. I am not going to pamper someones ego while they make bad choices.

As I said, you can lose weight eating Skittles. Doesn't make it healthy.

So if I am asked if a fat person should drink diet sodas or a poor person should buy a Ferrari, the answer is no. But if drinking a soda makes your life complete, congrats. You are in the top 10% of the world in obesity. :)

Yeah, but I'm not. As I already stated, 6'3", 195. I am not remotely fat. I didn't post my diet for validation either. Clearly you don't believe me about my shape, as can be seen by your posts. Just like I don't want to hear about how I should only eat whole wheat toast or rice cakes or whatever "proper nutrition" is. I've carved a nice little niche out for myself where I can eat and drink things that I love, and still be in good shape and good health. When a doctor tells me "Son, you should probably cut down on your soda intake. Maybe stop with the cereal," then I'll do something about it.

Again, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. A fat person should concentrate on all the things that led them to get to this point. Because a total overhaul is needed, not just diet soda.........

Appropos of this thread:

Can You Get Hooked on Diet Soda?

By Denise Mann, Health.com

March 1, 2011 8:15 a.m. EST

First thing every morning, Ellen Talles starts her day by draining a supersize Styrofoam cup filled with Diet Coke and crushed ice. The 61-year-old from Boca Raton, Fla., drinks another Diet Coke in the car on the way to work and keeps a glass nearby "at all times" at her job as a salesclerk. By the end of the day she has put away about 2 liters.

"I just love it," she says. "I crave it, need it. My food tastes better with it."

Talles sounds a lot like an addict. Replace her ever-present glass of Diet Coke with a cigarette, and she'd make a convincing two-pack-a-day smoker. In fact, she says, she buys her 2-liter bottles 10 at a time -- more if a hurricane is in the offing -- because if she notices she's down to her last one, she panics "like somebody who doesn't have their pack of cigarettes."

Most diet-soda drinkers aren't as gung ho as Talles, but people who down several diet sodas per day are hardly rare. Government surveys have found that people who drink diet beverages average more than 26 ounces per day (some drink far more) and that 3% of diet-soda drinkers have at least four daily.

Are these diet-soda fiends true addicts? And if so, what are they addicted to? The most obvious answer is caffeine -- but that doesn't explain the many die-hard diet drinkers who prefer caffeine-free varieties.

Factors besides caffeine are likely at work. Although diet soda clearly isn't as addictive as a drug like nicotine, experts say the rituals that surround diet soda and the artificial sweeteners it contains can make some people psychologically -- and even physically -- dependent on it in ways that mimic more serious addictions.

Read the rest at

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/03/01/diet.soda.health/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn#

I had been thinking about cutting down on my diet soda intake recently, but this thread has inspired me. I normally drink caffeine free diet sodas like root beer or caffeine free diet pepsi, but on a normal day, I probably have around six of them. But in the last few days, I have only had one, and I will probably have one at lunch today. Everything else has been water. So I have that going for me.

I look at the way my father's generation treated Coca Cola growing up.....as a "treat" you would drink once in awhile

Is that really a generational thing, though? I've known older folks who drink soda almost exclusively and have done so for a long time.

Just like I don't want to hear about how I should only eat whole wheat toast or rice cakes or whatever "proper nutrition" is.

Depending on what you believe, neither of those things constitute proper nutrition :pfft:

I was watching Warren Buffett give a speech to a group of MBAs one day and he got on the topic of Coke. He was saying that unlike other drinks, juice, root beer, etc Coke has no "taste memory"... you don't get tired of drinking it through the course of a day.

Today is 3 weeks since I stopped drinking regular soda cold turkey. I can't even begin to tell you how much better and healthier my body feels at this point. I was reaching a pretty low point this winter in which I would consume a 2 liter of Coke every 2 or 3 days. I've loved soda my entire life but this time around I knew I had to give it up. I wish I had a scale to tell you how much weight i've lost but i've been eating healthier and exercising everyday and the difference so far is pretty remarkable.

Is that really a generational thing, though? I've known older folks who drink soda almost exclusively and have done so for a long time.

How is that possible? Shouldn't that devil's nectar have killed them years ago? I assume at the least they're grossly mutated?

Good point. The majority of what my grandfather drinks is soda, and he is 85. Although I have never seen him drink nearly the amount that I do.

Eating and drinking right is extremely easy.

That's the second time you've said that in this thread. Apparently it's not as easy as you think or more people would do it. I'll refer the the previously posted stat about the obesity rate in this country. Knowing something is bad for you and doing something about it are two different things. You mention your cigarettes. Some people are that way with food. What's easy for you is difficult for them.

Archived